Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Kemet is Chaos without the card system and instead replaces it with the pyramid power system. The only thing I don't like about Kemet is how weak white is. Everyone becomes fairly unique by the end but it's not as dynamic as Chaos. Both are great games.

BattleCon: Devastation of Indines is growing on me quite a bit. Getting the box is hiliarously overwhelming but it's honestly not that complicated of a game. What's horrible is their storage system though. Mushing the cards into the character sleeves just doesn't work so I just got a bunch of small bags for everything.

Also what a strange OP. Not listing Twilight Imperium in the 4x category is pretty weird amongst other things. Stating that you haven't played it is a poor reason considering it's supposed to be community recommendation. Like seriously just link SUSD. For all the flake they get here, they're pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

The only way I see White being weak in Kemet is if you actually mean only getting White upgrades exclusively because you'd basically have no combat upgrades or creatures.

That would be a bad strategy though. I don't think it's advisable to get 100% of your upgrades in any color.

Maybe I need to play it more. Our group basically did this since everyone figured to 'double down' on everything. More of a mix does make more sense.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyd51lvu3xw

Looks like someone at a certain ad agency really likes Mageknight.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
It must be a slow day when the boardgame thread has trolls.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Xcom question- For science cards, is it OK to use the Alien alloy after work shopping cards? For several cards? It basically is advance paid free tech and provided you have enough scientists ready, can constantly cycle use 1-3 cards. It somewhat gets around teching in general since your discard pile becomes your deck and really opens things up.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

LemonAIDS posted:

I thought you don't reshuffle the science deck? Me and my group at first assumed you did but then when scouring the rules we couldn't actually find anything saying you do.

Yeah that's what I mean. Since there's no reshuffling, you basically can do tech as if you had it. Though through a weird way. I mean the game is bullshit but at least Science can have a massive role if they take advantage of Alien Artifacts.

Buckwheat Sings fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 1, 2015

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

I need to try Twilight Imperium one of these days but my group doesn't own it D:

If they fix how combat is handled, like a bit less nuts with dice everywhere, it'd probably be the best boardgame of all time.

Yeah I said it.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Lord Frisk posted:

And if they made the politics deck more interesting. And fixed the racial powers. And cut the time down to a realistic frame. And like a million other things.

Politics is pretty fun if you play with the expansions. The base game isn't too hot. What would you change about the racial powers? More variation? The time length isn't bad with a group that's played before. We get our games down to 5 hours by doing tricks like ending people's turns while they handle their ship purchases and such. Maybe there's an app to handle ship combat?

We currently use one for handling tech which makes things loads easier for remembering things. I mean they already use an App for Xcom. It makes Twilight loads more approachable.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Kingdom death is actually pretty fun. Sort of like Don't Starve mixed with a rogue like mixed with AD&D.

I couldn't imagine paying the full price they're asking for it even though the sculpts ate amazing.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Big McHuge posted:

Oh hey it's time yet again for SU&SD to slob some Dead of Winter knob.

Dead of Winter is fun though.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Big McHuge posted:

This seems pretty shady and makes me sad that I'm not qualified/well-connected/charming enough to start up my own board game review site. Like, if they were just going to do a standard How To Play type video, that's fine, but trying to pass off an actual review as unbiased under these circumstances is lunatic.

How's it shady? He basically said he was a part of it. Multiple times and that he'd be biased. I assume they still want to review it and he also said that it would be by one of his friends. It's fairly open information. In a world where videogame review companies literally pay for reviews, this is barely a spark.

It'd be shady if he said he didn't have a part in it or worse yet not even mention anything.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Twilight Imperium is a good game. YOU NEED THE EXPANSIONS. Also make sure you play with politics and political leaders and take out all the lame political cards from the main game. Destroy the Imperium card or whatever it's called from the main game. It's dumb.

If they could figure out how to do combat other than rolling a million dice then it'd be one of the best game experiences ever.

Buckwheat Sings fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 3, 2016

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Anyone who says eclipse is better than TI:3 doesn't like actual politics in their game.

Seriously though, playing with poltical leaders with only good politics cards saves the game and makes it amazing instead of decent.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Lunsku posted:

Looks like the next hottest board gaming kickstarter is here!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elanlee/bears-vs-babies-a-card-game

Stuff like this makes me sad since it's basically a favor to his 'game design' buddies. Meanwhile actual solid boardgame designers barely make ends meet making actual solid boardgames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I find it's easier to just use an app for the dummy player since that's basically all it is anyways. A complicated setup for an easy to use time limit.

I mean boardgames are however you want to play them but a time limit in Mageknight adds some great stress to the game.