Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Elysium posted:

So I'm picking up Coup, Through the Ages, and Temporum and I need one more game to get free shipping. Here are all the games I own: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/ElysiumSA

Mainly looking for 3+ player games, nothing super long or heavy, any recommendations?

p.s. the last recommendation I got here was for Libertalia which has been a huge hit, so thanks for that.

In addition to Castles of Burgundy, I'll throw in a recommendation for Glen More. You're building a village and running an engine with the tiles you draft with a turn order mechanic. Really interesting and quick game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Oh, I didn't realize it was. Well, for an alternate recommendation, Among the Stars is a solid drafting/tile placing game. I've heard some arguments that it can get samey, which is fair, but the expansions help with that.

Kiranamos posted:

Is Glen More still out of print? We love our copy. We pimped it out with custom barrels (they look more polished in person) https://www.thegamecrafter.com/parts/barrel as well as animeeples/veggimeeples, and it's even better.

I did the same, actually did a mix of barrels and bottles.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Jedit posted:

It's a weird combination of too random and not random enough. Everything is fixed bar the opening hands and the Wonders, but if the hands don't match the Wonders or fall in the wrong place you can be screwed.

I don't think I've ever considered myself screwed by chance in 7 Wonders. I can always point at the thing I didn't do that killed me. Why didn't I build any bricks, why did I skip glass, why didn't I grab that one science card, etc. Just the calculated risks that come back to bite you.

It's really important to stay flexible, especially so you can make counter-plays to get some points and slow people down. Just digging in and trying to build your wonder is a fool's errand, most of the wonders aren't worth it, in and of themselves. I tend to use them for burying cards, but I'm an aggressive counter-drafter. I mean, certain wonders (Halicarnassus and Gizah both come to mind) are really core to how you're going to play, obviously, but most only really serve the purpose of getting points for junk cards or counter-drafts.

I think 7 Wonders and Carcassonne have a bit of a common thread in that once people get that aggression, calculated risk, and denial are valid tactics, the way the game works changes.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, games where you're at the mercy of randomness tend to drive me up a wall if they take more than 15 minutes. On the other hand, give me a way to mitigate it and I'm totally fine with it. Castles of Burgundy is good for this and even Eldritch Horror gives you enough ways to buff dice rolls to make me happy.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The Waitress looks awesome, from my glance over her card. I usually play the Astronomer and go hardcore mage for late game bullshit like killing Cthulu by myself and she seems like she'd be even stronger.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

pinegala posted:

Any recommendations for a late Xmas gift? Friend is a decent board games fan - huge fan of acquire, hates Catan, has but is equivocal about power grid, ticket to ride, carcassonne, the 4 player warhammer themed one, and a few of the Japanese themed ones. His favorite game was probably munchkin but we stopped because of the imbalances of the original game and mediocrity of the expansions. I was thinking castles of burgundy based on the last few pages but wasn't sure. Thanks!

Edit:also has and loves Arabian nights but it's more of a storytelling mechanism than a game

That's a little vague, but Castles of Burgundy sounds like it'd be a strong pick. It's got a lot of that 'how do I maximize my points here' sort of play that Power Grid and Carc do, as I understand them. I've only played Carc a few times and nobody I know owns Power Grid.

Keyflower's also pretty good at that, but it adds in the bidding with workers mechanic. It's a longer game, though.

Xom posted:

Does Through the Ages have hidden information (that's visible to at least one player)?

Yeah, your events and war/territory cards are hidden and played into an event stack.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Fat Samurai posted:

I pitched the idea to a friend and he immediately asked me if I wasn't too old to be playing with tazos (Pogs). It's kinda hard to convince someone to play.

Your friend sounds like kind of a dick, honestly.

Sentinels is one of those games that could be a lot better than it is. It could definitely use a keyword system and to move more rules to the rulebook from the cards. I will say that the expansions help it a bit, even if they are more of the same. Shattered Timelines has some neat ideas in it. It's still overlong and finicky as hell, though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
My copy of Red7 just showed up and they did a very impressive job making it colorblind friendly.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'd love a better storage system for those American Mini cards. I have tuckboxes I put together for Battlestar Galactica, but other games are a problem.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Zero_Grade posted:

Petty? In the Board Game thread? Well I never!

Ludicrous. The TG hivemind would never allow such a thing.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

MildManeredManikin posted:

Got some board games for christmas: Galaxy Trucker, Forbidden Desert and Pandemic: Contagion. I hadn't heard of that last one before I got it, is it any good? I also got Seasons and one of the expansions for my GF because she loves Seasons a ridiculous amount.

Very excited to be building a sizable board game collection!

:retrogames: One of us, one of us! :retrogames:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I got the Broken Token organizer for Caverna for Christmas, thing's really nice. Also the box shuts. It's like black magic.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Poopy Palpy posted:

Did they really not bother to come up with a sci-fi name for Merlin?

It's a codename!

Also no, no they didn't.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm going to have to start figuring out how I want to organize the lighter games in my bag. I just picked up Lost Legacy and Red7.

Lost Legacy is like Love Letter with a lot of the random guessing removed. I've only played a few hands of 2-player, but I already feel like it's stronger than Love Letter. The investigation phase after all the cards have been drawn is really interesting, with people trying to find the titular Lost Legacy from all of the possible locations where cards are (hands and the 'ruins'). The card abilities across both sets really emphasize looking at hands and the ruins. Knowing someone's hand isn't always a death sentence for them like in Love Letter, but it is a serious advantage. Really looking forward to playing more of these two sets.

Red7 is as great as the thread's been saying. Hits that quick, random, take that sort of gameplay that Fluxx and Munchkin try to do, but this game actually ends because you don't draw cards and people are actually eliminated. Much like LL, being knocked out isn't too bad, because you're back in less than 5 minutes.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Schizoguy posted:

For 3-player Star Realms, I just use one box and I sleeved some playing cards for the third starting hand - diamonds for money and clubs for punches. The Trade Row gets a little crowded, but if you don't have (or don't want to bring) a second copy, it seems to work alright.

Red7 is a whole lot better if you play with the advanced rules - less random, more thinky - but it also takes longer. Especially if you're keeping score.

Yeah, I figured as much, we just haven't gotten into it yet.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I can't really see the color difference, but that finish difference is pretty damning.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Madmarker posted:

Are you colorblind? That isn't meant to be an insult, but if you were green-red color blind that would make sense. I think whoever was working on these cards had to have been to not see the difference, and if you are also that might give some confirmation.

Yep, I'm colorblind. There's a few other thread regulars who are, too. I also think the difference would be more noticeable in person.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
On the subject, I was thinking about it and I may have been a bit hasty with my assessment of Red7's colorblind-friendlyness. I can't tell the entire blue through violet side of the deck apart, but I mean, they wrote the color and the rule on the edge you can see while you have them fanned. It's as colorblind friendly as a game with 7 colors can be, I suppose. It's more colorblind-friendly than 7 Wonders, which hates you and wants you to be sad.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It's good that blind board game designers can get work. That's a travesty. I can actually tell the board colors apart, though!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, Keyflower is a knife fight with meeples. Dickery and counter-dickery abounds. Awesome game. Still need to try out The Farmers. Maybe I'll get to it before Merchants shows up.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

echoMateria posted:

They just mailed me today saying that they are getting ready to ship Keyflower: The Merchants to the Kickstarter backers. Can't wait to lay my hands on it.

Will probably be the cutest game in my collection. I mean... just look at it. And to think of all the dark claims you are all making about this pretty and innocent game...

Holy poo poo that's a lot of greens. That person is playing hardball.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Has anyone gotten to try out Roll for the Galaxy? Looks like it's finally back in stock, but I can't find any impressions with a search.

We had a board gaming day on New Year's Eve. Played Some Bang: The Dice Game, Red7, Lost Legacy, Caverna, 7 Wonders (just base game), and this Carccassone knockoff called Ark of the Covenant.

As usual, I lost 7 Wonders by 2 points. I need to figure out my age 1 and/or brown resource play more, I think. Did win Caverna, though. The Broken Token organizer makes it so much easier to play, it's kind of silly. I think we'll actually be playing it more now that I don't dread setting it up. Red7 was a surprise hit, everyone really liked it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I tried to use forums search but couldn't find anything about Zeppelin Attack! Any opinions and/or reasons it's broken or something, wise and venerable goons?

What do you guys think about Love Letter vs Lost Legacy?

My group likes Love Letter, but I think I prefer Lost Legacy. I'd need some more time to play Lost Legacy to really feel it out and make a final call, but it's a LOT better 2-player than Love Letter is. Legacy kind of fell flat in comparison in 4 player on its first outing. It kind of backloaded the guessing compared to Love Letter, at least with Flying Garden.

Both are getting a spot in my gaming bag, though. I threw both Lost Legacy sets into a deckbox with the rulebooks and such.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

There's a penalty if you don't fund it and then the project is funded by other people.

You only take the penalty if you don't contribute and it fails. If it succeeds and you didn't contribute, you just miss out.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

jivjov posted:

How dependent on expansions is the 7 Wonders wonder pack? I had the chance to pick that up cheap, but haven't actually received it yet. Should be in today though, and I'm curious how many of the wonders I'll be able to use with just the base game.

Well, Abu Simbel needs leaders and I think the Great Wall expects Leaders and Cities. It has a dove, at least. Manikin Pis and Stonehenge should be fine?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Achmed Jones posted:

They're petri dishes. Amazon sells them, along with science/school supply places. Craft stores usually have them, too, but don't call them 'petri dishes'. Don't buy the ones with agar on them, though.

Alternately, do, and see if you can start a real-life pandemic.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

jivjov posted:

Two more 7 Wonders questions; has there been any official word on the scoring app getting an update for Babel? I love the score calculator (especially for Science) and I really like pulling stats of past games and seeing what strategies my friends favor, so I'd be really sad to have to go back to paper pads.

And, what's this 7 Wonders: Armada I've seen mentioned on BGG a couple times? The references seem to pre-date Babel, so did that expansion just get renamed? Or do we know of another expansion coming?

If you're on Android, the one I use just got updated for Babel, has seperate tabs for the tower and projects, even.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Zveroboy posted:

If you're a regular PnP RPG player then Tales will feel rather random and disconnected and often without any of the freedom a true RPG offers since you have to choose one of several responses. Even then, your choice might not allow you to use what you would think is an appropriate skill: trying to pickpocket someone for example when you have Stealth & Stealing and the only skill choice ends up being Piety or something.

That said, I like it because is is a limited RPG. The past few years I haven't the time (or the friends sometimes :saddowns: ) to play regular PnP RPG sessions so Tales scratches the itch nicely. I'd never be able to get my parents or my girlfriend to play good ol' Dungeons & Dragons, but every so often I can bust out Tales, open a bottle of wine, and we can be adventurers or travelling musicians or devout preists for a couple of hours, laugh at each other's misfortune and narrow escapes. If at any point you've had enough just end the game there and then, or play on if you're enjoying it.

A few house rules I use to help streamline it:

Don't bother doing the whole "select your Story & Destiny points in secret" thing. The points are awarded pretty much at random so it's easier and quicker to just play to a combined total of 20.

If you're playing with just 2 or 3 people, you'll probably never make it through the whole Encounter deck in one game, so the Day/Dusk/Night thing will never progress. Advancing the marker when someone completes a quest has been better for us.

Some of the Status cards are too harsh really (Grief Stricken and Sex Changed come to mind), and I seem to remember a goon posting a list of easy house rules for them a while back, but I can't find it now :v:

Edit: Tales is for those evenings when the weekly D&D session has already been and gone, but you still want some roleplay action with the girlfriend :pervert:

My group has a bunch of regular roleplayers in it and we all like Tales quite a bit. The game is great at creating these absolutely batshit insane narratives. I ended one game in prison as an insane crystal snake. You can't even be mad if you lose with stuff like that, and frankly, if someone's playing to win and not attacking every efreet, I don't know what's wrong with them.

That said, yeah, a few statuses are harsh. We have also never gone through the deck, even with 5 players.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

homullus posted:

I first read this as Homestar Munchkin and was conflicted for a nanosecond.

Give me Homestar Runner Lost Legacy. The Lost Legacy is the deed to Strongbadia or something.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Probad posted:

Maximum enjoyment demands compressing as many turns as possible into as little time as possible. Remember that your friends and family are only ever obstacles to that goal. Do not be ashamed to use passive-aggressive gimmicks like timers if direct verbal confrontation fails to generate immediate, correct actions.

This guy gets it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Everyone that plays faster than me isn't taking the game seriously and everyone that plays slower is an AP idiot.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Madmarker posted:

Not being aggressive enough is really the only problem I have with newish players in Kemet, even when I explicitly tell them, "Other than maybe the first turn, your should attack someone every turn of the game."

Some players have a hard time with that type of aggression.

I think that's what turned some of the folks in my group off of Hegemonic. It's a fairly aggressive area control game that kind of walks and talks like a 4x.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
One of the guys in my board gaming group trys to start rule explanations with how a turn goes, I always interrupt him with 'Ok, so how do I win?' because I never remember anything if it's done any other way. I got massively turned off on Mage Knight because I let him do that and I forgot the game-end condition, so was very surprised and annoyed when it ended.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Morpheus posted:

Oh no, won't someone please think of the poor middlemen. God forbid enthusiasts get to buy games directly from the people who make them!

Yeah, you're right, gently caress game store owners.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I may or may not have a copy of Roll for the Galaxy coming in from my FLGS. They said they'd do it, but I didn't have confirmation and they didn't take any info. So we'll see. If they don't have it ordered at least, I'll probably do Amazon and save 15 bucks.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
They made a game about the boring Geoscape side of XCOM, I don't know what to expect.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I'm having trouble parsing what that's even supposed to mean.

Not Big Bang Theory or Magic, probably.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, Repos Production actually managed to annoy me. I wanted to order the 7 Wonders promos I'm missing (Wil and Nimrod), but you need to have a 10 euro order to submit it. What a hassle. I'd get the Mascarade expansion, but they're sold out in English.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

GrandpaPants posted:

Interestingly, I can't think of an instance where you can get a -X penalty to a skill in Eldritch Horror. And Dark Pacts aren't TOO bad...

But the fact that it does the "just use the highest bonus" thing instead of Arkham Horror's clunky "two hands!" approach is one of those quality of life things that I appreciate in the game. If it does nothing for you then it does nothing for you, but I think it's one of the better adventure type games out there that isn't named Mage Knight.

It's mostly spells where you roll at Lore-1 or -2, from my limited experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Galaxy Defenders seemed like it'd be the tactical layer of XCOM.