Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

It seems odd not to mention TI3 in the 4X game list. It's generally too long to get on the table, but it is the definitive example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

By the way, played Avalon again last night, and Jesus is it way too confusing for non-gamers. I finally taught everyone in the group that Minions of Mordred was the red team, and ended up with a semi-compromised game where the Assassin thought she should put her thumb up for Percival, so Percival was confused by seeing three thumbs but was afraid to ask questions and blow the game. But even so, it's still the favorite game of about 85% of my friends (and "I refuse to play" to the other 15% including my wife).

It honestly doesn't matter what the red team are called. I think you're overcomplicating things. Start without a game without any special roles and move from there.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I've for Dixit for Christmas Day in the drunken, post-lunch stupor and Coup because it's small and I'm sure there will be a time.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I had great fun playing Rex, but I was slightly concerned that it wouldn't hold up to repeated plays.

I can't remember why. I should play again.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Morpheus posted:

My friend has suggested we have a multi-day (a few hours a day, nothing more) session of Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition, with a lot of players. Is this a terrible idea y/n

For the record we do play some decently in-depth board games, but rarely anything that lasts more than a couple hours.

It's not really that long a game, but if you can only sit still for three hours at a time I suppose you could do it that way.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

papasyhotcakes posted:

Sorry to post this again, but my previous post seems to have been lost in the discussion of the difference between good/bad nerdy (there isn't).

It's basically the 2nd edition. You get some little scoring cards, a different score track and the rules are a bit less clumsily written.

Minor stuff, so if it costs a huge amount more then don't bother.

Although Odyssey is the one to get really, as it gives you the bits to play with 12.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

AbortRetryFail posted:

I bought Dead of Winter before checking the thread, which seems to be saying it's bad. If I have a group that likes Betrayal at House on the Hill theme style stuff without worrying too much about balance as long as it's fun (I die on turn 1 of the haunt always in B@HoTH) can fun still be extracted from it? If not, are there any decent house rules that could be applied? I haven't played it yet and don't want to take it out of the plastic if it has no redeemable aspects.

The problem with Dead of Winter isn't really about balance. At least not in my experience.

The crossroad cards are a good idea but not well implemented (the voice isn't consistent, most are a "do nothing / take a minor risk" thing). I think the next game in the series will do them better.

Take that you and you've got a poor man's BSG. It's not bad, it's just that it's clumsy and there's no tension (For whatever reason it's a game of moving bits of cardboard around, rather than a game of trying to survive).

You can sell it for a shitload though, as there is so much hype around it. So sell it. Sell it now.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

The geoscape is the fun bit of XCOM! You people are crazy.

That said, the whole app thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth so I'll likely not bother.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Played Lords of Waterdeep today and really enjoyed it. I don't think I've ever actually played a worker pavement game before

I'm dimly aware that it's disliked here though (due to imbalance between the secret objectives?), so what's a better game in the same vein?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Oh, I'd played Agricola. I just apparently forgot about it completely.

Good lists. Thanks.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I've only played King of New York once and I've got no real desire to play again. At least it was fairly fast I suppose.

The winner got lucky and then snowballed to victory. I didn't see much to indicate that that was an unusual outcome.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

The only complicated bit of BSG is piloting Vipers because then you get an extra action. Or maybe you don't. I can't remember, but the manual wording is vague and I keep forgetting to check the FAQ

Also, Homeland is apparently a reasonable BSG-lite if you really do need that kind of thing.

Dead of Winter is a bit of a mess, but the Crossroads cards mechanic is fun. Fortunately they said they'll make more games using that mechanic so maybe one won't be a mess.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I may have already asked this here, but has anybody got any experience with Homeland? It sounds right up my alley ( a game based around BSG-style crisis decks) but the company behind it seem to have a reputation for shovelware - such as the generally slammed Firefly boardgame.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

A while back I played a game of Alien Frontiers and was really impressed at how much it grabbed my group. I can't imagine it's something that would go over entirely all that well with this thread, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

I seem to have three options for more of that sort of thing,
Back the Alien Frontiers Big Box Kickstarter : Downsides here are :that the publisher apparently sucks at kickstarters and still hasn't completed the previous Alien Frontiers one two years later; the chap who owns it is somebody I play with about 50% of the time, so I should probably avoid overlapping with his collection; I'm not actually how much the expansions really add

Troyes: The theme is a loving French medieval city. It would have to be pretty spectacular to overcome this.

Euphoria: The theme here makes me smile, but from looking into it I worry that it's not as elegant as it could be (then again this is something I'm horrible at judging)

Has anybody got any thoughts here?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

dishwasherlove posted:

After years of talking up Twilight Imperium 3 as the be all and end all ameritrash clear you calendar takes 2 days to play game, we just played our 2nd 4 player game in just 3 hours and I don't know what to think anymore. Probably had something to do with the game being 90% posturing and only 3 or 4 battles were fought. I wish Eclipse had something as cool as the political deck, wheeling and dealing to pass laws is probably my favourite thing.

There was a time when I played a couple of times a week with 3-4 players and would usually finish in less than 3 hours. Good times.

The politicial deck is a bit balls as lots of the cards aren't interesting enough. Politics II (or whatever the one that gives you a politics hand is called) tries to fix this, but doesn't really manage.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I know that some of you were interested in Homeland

Yesterday, we had a game. We screwed up a few rules - burning cards means that they are removed from the game, which isn't the same as discarding so we had a few chains of asset stealing that weren't legal. And some rules are badly written - can a player drone strike once per turn regardless of how many drone strike assets he has, once per asset with drone strike or as much as he likes? And agents/soldiers were always getting confused - one looks at the intel deck on a crisis, the other looks at the plot card, but it's not written on the board which is which.

Despite those points I really liked it.

It's fast. Unboxing, reading the rules and playing took about an hour and a half.

There's lots going on, and you can'y keep up with the pace of new threats emerging, so you end up having to let some terrorism happen and just hoping that the fallout isn't something terrible.

Even the loyal players will occasionally have to put bad cards on other people's cases, but as we realised after, the loyal players should be trying to get other cases to fail as much as possible. The game feels cooperative, but there are only ever 0-1 winners, so you need to be loving people over all the time. Those high value red cards need to screwing up other cases rather than discarded for a couple of VP on the spot.

The central play is that terrorisms are moving up the board. Each has a plot (hidden) and an organisation (known) that both contribute to the red points. When one such crisis gets to the top of the board you flip the plot card and then sum up the intel cards people played to it. More blue than red means the threat was neutralised and the case lead gets some loyalist VP, a minor bonus (usually a card, an agent or a soldier) and the freedom track advances. More or equal red than blue means terrorism happened, everybody gets politics VP, the caselead gets a minor punishment (sometimes everybody is punished) and the terror track advances. On your turn, you play a card to two cases, only one of which can be your own. Pick up new soldiers/agents/assets and use those to poke the card stacks a bit.

Super simple.

Obviously, it's just one play, but I'm really itching to play again. And maybe watch the TV series, but maybe not as the dude in all the art has a really annoying face.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

I played Roll for the Galaxy last night and really enjoyed it. Am I crazy?

No, it's been heavily praised

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Has anybody played Omega Centauri?

I stumbled across it and it seems to be a pretty well received light space 4x. It seems to have all the bits and pieces: Distinct races, a modular board, technologies, space battles, etc.

I had a look at the rulebook though, and it's an absolute clusterfuck, so I want more opinions before picking it up.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

The Mantis posted:

I want a big dumb war game. Should I just nut up and buy TI3?

It's big, but not really dumb or a war game. So probably not.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

bobvonunheil posted:

Does anyone have anything to say about Alchemists? It seems to be climbing the ranks on BGG and of course we all love CGE but I'd be interested if anyone here has given it a shot.

The chap in my group who played it described it as Cluedo with an app.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Anybody have any 2-player recommendations? Beyond Twilight Struggle, which is out of print and sadly not lying around somewhere in the poorly laid out boardgame stacks of my unfriendly local game store.

We play lot of Race for the Galaxy, so we're open for wafer-thin theme, but I think we'd like something at the polar opposite end of that.

Netrunner is something that we both enjoyed, but neither of us want to bother with deck building, which sort of killed that.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Viticulture sounds perfect. Thanks

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I really enjoyed Spartacus. Except for the combat, which is just non-functional and needs an entirely new ruleset.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

Report! Homeland seems...flawed. It shares a lot in common with Spartacus and Sons of Anarchy by the same company, which seems to be good ideas but buried under some ropey implementation. We played with 5, which was too many and the game ended up stalling out because 2 players kept destroying threats, which meant the game couldn't actually end. We also didn't end up with a terrorist which really put the dampers on the tension.

There's something there, but it needs work to make it playable. I definitely wouldn't play it with more than 4.

I really enjoyed it. What do you think doesn't work? I've only played twice, once we were too cooperative which led to high scoring agency players and the second time it was far too aggressive which led to an easy terrorist victory (fortunately there was actually a terrorist there)

Destroying all threats could indeed stall the game, but it doesn't achieve anything so I can't see why it would happen.

My complaints are largely around some common rules questions not being addressed. Like can I drone strike once per turn, once per drone strike active asset or just as much as I like?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Weird. Even without a terrorist I've always found it feels like a constant panic.

How were the soldiers being generated to do all that done striking?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Bubble-T posted:

Forbidden Stars (Warhammer 40K game) rules are up. Looks both less interesting and less elegant (lol) than Chaos in the Old World, probably a pass for me.

edit: lol each combat plays out up to 3 times and only involves two players, that's going to be fun in 3+ games :geno:

This sounds great

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Clanpot Shake posted:

I saw Homeland in the store today and the back of the box read a lot like BSG (which I love). What's the verdict on this game?

It's a game of managing multiple BSG style crisis decks in a semi-coop (shared loss condition for most of the players).

I've played it twice and enjoyed it. It feels very frantic and like everything is constantly going to poo poo. It's more fun if you all wear bluetooth headsets and occasionally shout "TOOOOOONY"*

*Nobody has seen Homeland, so we just make vague reference to 24 while playing.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Forbidden Stars has been updated on FFG's site to SHIPPING NOW :bubblewoop:

gently caress me it's seventy quid.

I am not paying that for a boardgame.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

nimby posted:

I still dream of the day I can play and finish an 8 player Twilight Imperium game with all the bells and whistles attached (no Distant Suns tokens, those suck).

Of course, I know that day will never be. Mostly because it'd be borderline impossible to start and finish it in the same day.

Everybody has this dream

(and Distant Suns is great, but probably not for an 8-player game. You don't want somebody getting the hump from a bad draw early on)

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Elyv posted:

Can you play 8 player TI without all the expansions? We had all of them, but we didn't play with all the modules of course. if memory serves we did distant suns, guardians of mecatol rex, mercs, and a couple of others I think.

The bits for 8-player are in the first expansion.

You could play base rules and just use the extra ring of hexes (I think you have enough to play without space station hexes or the like)

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Blamestorm posted:

Anyone given Forbidden Stars a whirl yet? I'm particularly curious how well it works two player. I wish more reviewers (SUSD key culprits here) would comment on scalability, particularly as IMO few games play well at two and with a higher player count - usually because games primarily designed for 3-4 often have zero sum issues at 2.

I'm curious about this too. Decent two player action in a game will mean it gets played an order of magnitude more.

At least until we pick up some children and sufficiently age them

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Mister Sinewave posted:

Well I have fired up a recent acquisition: The Vesuvius Incident.

It's a print-on-demand 2013 reprint/reboot of an older game. I especially like their counters. Laser-cut from a thick (almost MDF ish) sheet of cardboard on which some really nice printing has been done using some sort of witchcraft.

God bless the kind soul who made a flowchart (http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/103934/last-frontier-helpsheet-all-4-phases-v06) because while no specific part of the game is especially complicated, the rulebook is very so-so and the whole flow of the game is much better served up and explained as a process-based flowchart than what they did. A once-over of the shipped rulebook followed by the flowchart would have let me learn the game in like a tenth of the time.

The game is basically written in reference tables and d6. The marines' job is to board the ship, rescue the crew, and escape before the degrading orbit of the ship burns it all up.

So far it's fun in a meat-grinderish kind of way.

Tell me more. This sounds amazing.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I found the rules pretty simple but the game was super lacklustre.

Maybe I misinterpreted something that would make the game more fun then

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

I've heard some good things and I was a fan of the show so I looked at the box, but that big hex grid arena made me think twice. I like the sound of trading gladiators and scheming against each other, but how complicated is the fighting? And how long does fighting take?

The combat is atrocious to the point of being near unusuable ,but is fortunately only a small part of things and the game is really fun despite it.

By all accounts there are some functional houserules for combat knocking about somewhere

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Megasabin posted:

Who bought Forbidden Stars, and what do you guys think? I love CITOW and Game of Thrones, and I keep hearing this is a mix of the best mechanics of both of those. Then again if I already own both of those games, do I really need another 3-4 player area control game?
I think somebody in here suggested it did okay with two players. Which is most interesting

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Stickman posted:

Fake artist goes to New York? You'd just have to be sure to use words they know.

Alternatively, not understanding what the word you are trying to draw makes this game even better.

It's a good language game

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Jedit posted:

Still better than Liar's Dice.

A regular member of one of my groups loving loves playing that. We end up doing at least one game per session. For whatever reason, for me, it's just not a game, it's a tedious exercise in memorising things.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Slightly Lions posted:

So my birthday was a few days ago and my folks asked me what I wanted for it. I was thinking about the Firefly boardgame, being a huge fan of the show and of questing type games. BGG reviews were largely positive, but I want to know what the goon consensus was. Is it a good game? Which expansions, if any, are worth picking up?

The consensus is that it's not really a game.

I think there's an expansion that means you actually get to make decisions on your turn, but that's throwing good money after bad really.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

TI3 is far and away my favourite boardgame

It has its own niche though. You don't meet for boardgames and end up playing it, you specifically meet for that one game.

Sadly it's rare I get six hour blocks with a big enough table. Only two games this year so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

How is Star Realms? The tiny box makes it attractive in a world where I have too many things in really big boxes.