Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Jedit posted:

Overall an excellent game, and I'm looking forward to expanding it a little. We're probably only going to play it once more before adding the Mamas and Papas, Advanced Visitors and New Visitors from Tuscany, if that. I don't think we'll ever use Mafia or Arboriculture, though - they just seem to add time and complexity without making the game noticeably better.

I'm so hoping that this arrives here before Christmas - it's definitely going to be a huge hit with my group, they love worker placement games, and love when there isn't really one dominant strategy
Plus, I think we'll probably play it legacy style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

I gave Stonemaier Games $239 today, for Viticulture, Tuscany, the metal coins, and Euphoria.

Got an email from Jamey a few hours later thanking me and letting me know that all the Viticulture stuff is shipping in a few days, can't wait to make some wine.

I know the conversation about Jamey Stegmaier's customer service was from a few pages back but I just wanted to mention how ridiculously on-top of things that guy is

Someone on BGG noticed there was a misprint in Tuscany that Jamey didn't see from the proofs (from what I can tell it was a "mirroring" issue, and minorly affects the gameplay) - and when he realized his mistake he made a video talking about it and apologizing, posted a bunch of options for people to "fix it" and then AFTER all of those things decided to send anyone a sticker sheet to correct the mistake at a cost to himself - and REFUSING to let people pay him for it.
From the latest email he seems to have compromised with people that seem to just want to throw money at him by accepting that people will increase their pledge on the next game...

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Impermanent posted:

How are Viticulture and Euphoria as games?

I can't speak to Viticulture on my own (though from the reviews I read before backing Tuscany and recent posts in this thread it seems solid) plus the theme seems like it will sell it

Euphoria has some flaws but is a great game with some fun twists on the usual worker placement formula. Dice-as-workers, bumping workers, "unlock tracks", multi-tier resources, and unique point system (and the theme, while not super stylish, fits the mechanics well)
I don't know if it is quite as tight as Alien Frontiers with 3 or 4 (which has some similar mechanics, especially given the obvious dice-as-workers) but I prefer it over Lords of Waterdeep when you have 5 or 6 players

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

different topic:

I took a good look at mine just now and it seems like it's only really going to be an issue for the Hunter and Reverser ones
The Rogue success ones match up with the new success/fail cards included in the expansion perfectly - probably the same print set (dark - with high red content)
The 2 regular success fail cards from the hidden agenda pack are a bit lighter but still have a higher red content than the reverse and chief fail cards
They all have a much darker ink than my original success/fail cards from the 2nd edition base game

Whether or not it's actually noticeable during the game is another question entirely though, when the cards are piled, maybe I'm guessing someone "looking for it" will notice it but if you're cautious I don't think it will make a huge difference
That said - this is something that they should have caught in the proofs

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Re: resistance
I work with similar (if not identical) printing processes sometimes
If it were actually a tolerance issue it wouldn't be as consistent nor bad of a problem as it is - its definitely a master image color balance issue

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

enigmahfc posted:

So I got to play the new edition of Viticulture this week, and really liked it. The look of the game is great (the art and the wooden components), and the gameplay is pretty fast once everyone grasps what all the actions can do.

It's been very fast when I've been doing Automa, but it's incredibly slow when you're playing with 5 players and a few aren't familiar with worker placement games and the others are highly prone to AP.
Once things got rolling, I started pushing people to do the same poo poo we do with dominion and start their turns while the previous person is finishing things up just to speed things along.

I'm sure with 4 players that knew wtf they are doing it's faster, and with the tier 1 expansions thrown in you'll probably save a few turns as well

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

enigmahfc posted:

I played it at an all-day meet up, and the person who owned the game (who was also the organizer) asked that I open the base game and learn it because he was too busy to do it himself on that day, but specifically asked that I not open the expansions yet because he wants to master the base game first. I can't say I blame him, but I really wanted to break out those metal coins.

My other friends that were playing other games at the time seemed concerned that the game was taking too long, and I've been concerned that it will avert them from wanting to play.

Since the first tier of expansions increase the amount of money/cards/VP you can get early on in the game; it likely has the result of shortening the game significantly.
Our next play through I'm thinking that adding the whole tier (rather than 1 at a time) will improve the speed enough to make people see how much quicker it can actually be - and won't add too many new things to confuse anyone that hasn't played it yet

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

jivjov posted:

Based solely on the discussion of the last couple pages, I bought the base box for Dominion. Can't wait to get it to the table...any first timer tips I should know?

Chapel ruins games
Buy Silver

edit: I forgot how much I miss iso

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 10, 2015

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Jabor posted:

Pro tip for Dominion cards: When putting the game away, put the cards you used back on the bottom of the pile instead of on the top. Otherwise you'll end up with, for example, the top-most coppers being almost completely worn out while the ones at the bottom are pristine (because no-one ever buys that much copper).

On a semi-related note - if you play using the randomizer cards and have enough expansions, you can rotate your cards in a similar way to get a variety of games by putting the game you just played at the bottom of the pile.
You can also do something similar to the old "veto mode" on Isotropic.
Pick one extra kingdom card for each player - allow each player in turn order to choose a card to "veto" a card for that game. At the end of the game, put the cards picked at the bottom of your randomizer pile and the vetoed cards at the top for the next game.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Toshimo posted:

I played Veto mode once. The first person vetoed King's Court. The second person vetoed Goons. I vetoed playing with those monsters.

That's why you put the vetoed cards back on the top of the pile - it forces them to keep vetoing the same cards each game or deal with it and play with them

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Question for those who've played Viticulture: is there any maintenance cost for workers or anything like that? AKA if I have the 4 Lira every turn is there any reason not to keep hiring more workers?

I believe you're just limited by the number of worker meeples available, 6 total
I also think for Tuscany games using the special workers - you're still limited to 6 total workers, even though you'd theoretically have 8 meeples available

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Dominion also takes nearly as long to set up and clean up than it does to play a game when you have fast players

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Base cards are pretty great because it's a lot easier to notice the difference between copper, silver, and gold at a quick glance

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Sinlaeshel posted:

I picked up Dungeon Lords Anniversary edition. The rule book seems... overwhelming. Even before you factor in any expansions.

Meanwhile in the US still waiting for the "stuck in customs for a month" Kickstarter shipment of this

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Sloober posted:

Going on something like a month now.

Try 2 months
It's been a month since they've posted an update on the KS page

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm trying to get through the YouTube review but I'm wondering what goons think about it as a regular couple's game. Also apparently the base game is missing a grand worker?

Second edition (which I think is the only version you can get now anyway) should have the Grande worker that was missing in the first edition

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

This confirms my impression that people who call Dominion "single player solitaire" are just really bad at it.

Exactly
If you aren't basing your strategy almost entirely on your opponent's moves, you aren't playing dominion correctly

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

If it was a "multiplayer solitare" the best strategy would be playing the combo deck that buys up everything on one turn. In reality that's only the best strategy when your opponents are doing the same thing but less efficiently than you

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Sloober posted:

Outside of say, BSG, is there any licensed game property that's particularly good? I don't usually buy into anything based off a show or whatever. The only other game I've played that was a TV show would be Game of Thrones and that has some problems.

Dune

efb by an edit
edit #2: Haven't played them but I've heard Civilization and XCOM are good too? (though to be fair, those are both based on video games that are essentially board games)

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 13, 2015

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Hero seems slightly broken in Plat/Colony games
e: Oh wait nm I read the description it's not buyable

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

homullus posted:

Right, so, aside from stats, they're the same?

The interface was much much cleaner and designed for online play rather than to copy the physical version to a fault
It had confirmation when you were about to do something stupid (like end turn without buying, or playing your coppers with Grand Market on the table, etc)

Better game settings options/selection and tracking what your opponents did was a lot easier with the log essentially being the main interface and tabbed and color coded rather than a wall of text hidden behind a button

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

There was a Dominion thread, it died around the same time Isotropic did

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Hireling is...interesting...

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Anyone get Forge War? It looks pretty cool, but the playtime kind of scares me

Got it, haven't played it yet
I read the rules and it doesn't seem super slow - there's the basic game which looks to be about 1/3 of the length of the "epic" version, and there are also a few variants for shorter versions using some of the advanced components

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

The interface becomes somewhat tolerable with Dominion Salvager

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

The Supreme Court posted:

Holy poo poo, an hour? How did they do that?

It took my group at least that long to go over it at PAX - although to be fair, none of us had played before and we got through the full game in approximately the same amount of time after figuring it out

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

The best part of Dominion is that there are 236 different cards
Don't like a few? you've still got quadrillions of possible boards

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'm curious to see the arguments why you think DA and Guilds are inferior

edit: I totally played a Baker/Pirate ship game the other day with some friends, they all opened with Baker/X, I went Ship/Ship
I didn't win, but I didn't come in last either

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 27, 2015

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Cutpurse, Bazaar and Treasury are boring
Graverobber, Procession, Feodum, Poor House and coin token cards aren't

edit: how in hell is Baker a garbage card but Bazaar and Treasury are your favorites?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

The various copper cantrips are some of my favorite cards. Highway, treasury, peddler (especially peddle). Baker's effect definitely fluctuates with the board and really you are both right depending on the circumstances. In the worst of cases you just go back to the tried and true strategy of vetoing some cards.

Or even...mirrored openings? give everyone 5/2 or 4/3, like you used to be able to do on isotropic
That literally solves the problem he's complaining about without getting rid of any cards

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

CAH fills the "stupid campfire" "looking for easy laughs" type game in my group of friends during our summer trips or thanksgiving get-togethers. Usually it's played after we get bored of mafia, put out the fire and go inside.

When we've got a large (7-10) group of people that don't really feel like splitting into smaller groups for real games or being overtly creative.

I don't know if there's a better game for the specific instances that we play it. CAH is the late-night game, Dixit or Say Anything come out the next morning during breakfast when we're more sober and feeling more creative

edit: I think the context point is crucial - if you're playing CAH and it's not with people you know well, it just becomes a bunch of shock-jokes. When you're playing with people you know, it's about targeting the person who's judging (of course, Say Anything and Dixit do this WAY better)

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 7, 2015

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Like I mentioned above, Apples to Apples is the same thing but without all the rape, poop, racism, etc.

But typically that leads to fewer laughs, (at least with my friends) and there are far more CAH cards than Apples to Apples cards

That said in most situations Say Anything is a better game than both

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I think the biggest problem with CAH is the whole: "You like board games? Have you played..."

"...Cards Against Humanity?"
"...Settlers of Catan?"
"...Monopoly?"
"...Arkham Horror?"

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I played Castles of Burgandy for the first time last night and I can't really figure out why I disliked it so much
I don't think it's my aversion to dice games although it's definitely a contributing factor

We were playing 3p with the mirroring boards - afterward I definitely thought that the asymmetrical ones might help it a bit

Maybe because other games do the mechanics better? The whole time I was thinking I'd rather be playing Terra Mystica

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Malloreon posted:

Motherfucking FORGE WAR is everything Lords of Waterdeep should have been.

I NEED to get this on the table next weekend

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Is Toc Toc Woodman not Click Clack Lumberjack?

They are the same game

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Is there any difference? is one better than the other?

Supposedly the "best" version is the one that was on Kickstarter last week - not sure if it will be available elsewhere soon though. There's also Bling Bling Gemstone, which is the same game but styled differently

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Deathlove posted:

that's a good drat meeting

Needs more "guy playing with his smartphone"

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Crackbone posted:

So it's basically Heroscape with a MtG shell?

Yes (this is what one of the developers flat out told me when inviting me to play test)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

are you making this up? i hope to loving god you aren't making this up. i will pay money for loopin' chewie.

I can verify - there's a display with a sign for it in our front hallway