Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Good OP, thanks for plugging the C&D thread! Gonna respond to a couple things from the old thread.

Scyther posted:

Ludwig looks great and I can't wait to play it, but doesn't it have an entire subcategory of rooms that care about your entire tableau (the downstairs rooms I think)?

You are correct, but in a 3 player game, nobody got more than 2 of these through a combination of them not showing up and competition. They also take a bit more effort to build towards since they require stairs to get to. It's also a lot easier to realize that you get a bonus from them too, since they're all one class of building that is conveniently color coded and likely to all be next to each other.

Ravendas posted:

I have the same general opinion (wrote about it a page or two ago). I backed it, and have posted on BGG a ton about it. The game needs a lot of houserules to fix it up into something more playable.

Though, the asteroid field that crippled you can be negated with shields, so never mine or venture through them without some.

I rolled like a 2 on shields :negative:

Seriously, a range of 1-10 on random damage when even top tier ships have 14 hit points is pretty bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

KingKapalone posted:

Has Kemet replaced Chaos in the Old World as the OP recommended war game then?

Not necessarily. Both games have their merits, especially since Chaos has a much stronger Area Control focus on it and really, only one maybe two of the factions should be building any sort of combat unit. It is also inherently a lot more asymmetrical as well in that each of the god will play uniquely differently, whereas the powers from Kemet, whilst mostly exclusive, are in a shared market. However, Chaos also has the limitation of being strictly 4 player, while Kemet scales a lot better. Some people are put off by the theme of Chaos, as well.

Both are really good games.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I know the conversation about Jamey Stegmaier's customer service was from a few pages back but I just wanted to mention how ridiculously on-top of things that guy is

Someone on BGG noticed there was a misprint in Tuscany that Jamey didn't see from the proofs (from what I can tell it was a "mirroring" issue, and minorly affects the gameplay) - and when he realized his mistake he made a video talking about it and apologizing, posted a bunch of options for people to "fix it" and then AFTER all of those things decided to send anyone a sticker sheet to correct the mistake at a cost to himself - and REFUSING to let people pay him for it.
From the latest email he seems to have compromised with people that seem to just want to throw money at him by accepting that people will increase their pledge on the next game...

If their next game is Scythe, that sounds pretty exciting. But yeah, I'm really impressed by the service, even though I am afraid that the game itself (Viticulture/Tuscany) will kinda bore me.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

bobvonunheil posted:

Shut Up and Sit Down are talking up Doomtown now. Has anyone played this?

I thought it had some good mechanics, but multiplayer starts to be a slog when (potentially multiple) people are in (potentially multiple) shoot outs. This ended with a four player game (with the starting/tutorial decks, if that's a factor) lasting about 3 hours.

I also hated that the shoot out was an all or nothing thing, in that you either won or you lost. There was no pyrhhic victory sort of scenario where you might have won the fight, but you lose some number of your posse or their health or whatever. If it was straight up damage based on hand with each side taking their respective licks, I think I might have preferred it. This also has the effect where multiplayer can get into a Munchkin-esque "sack the leader" type of scenario, where the winner ends up being the person who laid low the best since they aren't subject to the massive swing of losing a posse because you ended up with a pair vs. a four of a kind or full house or something. It gets really, really swingy.

But again, those are impressions based on just the "pre made" decks, with one 2p and one 4p game. I'm sure deckbuilding will alleviate some amount of that, but I can't tell you just how much (since it wasn't my game).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I am requesting opinions on Patchistory. Is there a decent amount of player interaction? Is war handled well? I recall hearing some good things earlier in the thread, but I'd like corroboration and the counsel of the hive mind.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

quote:

Unfortunately there isn’t a practical way to ensure exact color and/or texture match across all the print runs, nor is there a reasonable way to provide for returns for slight variations that are within manufacturing tolerances.

So uh, those Magic backs sure did change over the last 20 years haven't they? Also, where did this communication come from, because I sure don't see it on a Kickstarter update...

It's a shame that the Resistance is such a good game, because god do I not want to support this idiot.

Edit: Like I really don't even understand how this could have happened. How did he look at cards that should have been red and turned out green and went "that's fine!" It's not like a subtle difference or anything.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

1) Anything to be aware of with the following games:
Mage Wars

I like Mage Wars, but it is a really daunting game. Imagine if you were playing Magic (or whatever other CCG) and instead of being limited to what was in your hand, you have your entire DECK to choose from. And like any other customizable game, you don't have to just be aware of what is in your deck, but in your opponent's as well. This may be okay with veterans who know the game really well, but for a newbie who is just using one of your decks to try it out, this is information overload.

Again, it's a good game, but it is super hard to get into.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Rutibex posted:

Mage Wars really isnt much like Magic at all. Its sold as the thinking mans Magic but I would say it iis a lot closer to D&D vancian casting. Mage Wars lets you build two 3.5 D&D casters and fight them in a controlled environment that doesnt need a DM.

I just wish I could convince someone to play it with me. :( You think finding Netrunner opponents is hard? Try Mage Wars for some real solitude. Its a fantasitc game but dont buy it unless you have someone in mind to play it with. I couldnt even get people who play Agricola on a regular basis to try it because of how much upfront time investment it takes.

I wasn't comparing it to Magic mechanically, but as a metaphor for how daunting having ALL the options can be. If anything, I'd compare it to a more complex Summoner Wars or something.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Asymmetrikon posted:

It's illustrated by Phil Foglio. I think we've ended up in board game hell.

No, I think that would be when Cards Against Humanity combines with Munchkin and you're playing against someone who has AP, even on that game.

I played Castles of Mad King Ludwig last night, being my third time playing, and I realized that due to the nature of the Master Builder role, the game could potentially have a bit of a kingmaker problem, especially with new/bad players who don't know how to price something. Namely, I noticed at least a couple times when a piece was severely underpriced, enabling someone else to get a ton of points for very few moneys. The game was also determined pretty early when someone got an individual bonus for Activity rooms and one of the goals was most Activity rooms That is a lot of points. Also, gently caress the circle rooms for rotating and making it difficult to see if things line up the way they "should."

And because we like geometry for some reason, we played Galaxy Trucker, which was fun and chaotic as always. Turned out it was two guys' first time playing, which was fun to watch them die on rounds 1 and 2.

I also played a small game called Sellswords, which is basically Triple Triad from Final Fantasy 8. I enjoyed the game, but the rules (which folded like a map for some weird rear end reason and was kinda uncomfortable to use as a result) were a bit unclear, especially in terms of terminology and some of the effects. Still, I had a good time with the game, but we'll see if cracks start showing on repeat plays.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

EBag posted:

Wow, I had to google this guy but that's some Deviant Art reject poo poo right there.

I remember seeing Phil Foglio at a Comic Con or some other convention about a decade or so back, and instead of promoting Girl Genius or, uh, whatever else he does (old school Magic art?), it was just a bunch of prints of cartoon titties.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

poo poo. Both of those games sound pretty fun. Guess I'm hosed!

I personally like Ludwig better because the price setting makes the game way better for > 2 players. Suburbia is fine with 2p, but even at 3, you can see your options dwindle really quickly as the market track just moves really quickly. I also think the "accounting" section of Ludwig is a lot better, since you may get a lot of retroactive effects in Suburbia (eg., all businesses generate +1 income), whereas Ludwig is much more localized, either by only affecting adjacent rooms or by having the universal point rooms (eg., all kitchens give 2 points) be theoretically grouped in one section of the castle. But like I mentioned earlier, there is a risk of bad players being Kingmakers in Ludwig by setting certain rooms to be way cheaper than they should. Also, don't play with either AP prone people, because they may want to actually calculate out the point:cost ratio of every single piece against every single castle, or people who are pedantic assholes, since they can very easily say, for example, that that room totally doesn't fit or that that hallway doesn't connect those two rooms, etc. That is probably good advice in general for board games.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Yeah SoN sounds really great and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it as soon as it comes back into print. Anyone have any thoughts on K2? I love the theme, and the mechanics appear solid.

I asked about K2 a while ago and the consensus was that it doesn't hold up to repeat plays. I don't remember the specifics, but that was the gist of it.

Also, get Caylus. Gateways need to lead somewhere, and what better place to go than a castle in the French countryside? I think Archipelago is a good step up from Catan in that it eliminates all the dice rolling, but keeps all the rear end in a top hat negotiating with more ways of increasing your leverage.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

If you want a good two player option and like strategy games at all I would recommend trying Warhammer Diskwars. Good little strategy game this is a reasonable middle ground because too-light fluff and super heavy grog. Offers nice customization options, sets up and tears down about as easily as a wargame possibly can, and plays in about an hour and a half. Also unlike something like X-Wing (which I do like) the cost of entry is low. You can probably get the core set for $40, which unlike almost every other core set in the universe is actually enough to have a fun game with. If you enjoy the game then there are two expansions that very are reasonably priced ($30 list I believe) that add a lot of great stuff including two completely new races.

It's a great way to break into 1v1 games if you have anything you think would want that kind of experience. Affordable, good theme, good customization, semi-light wargame.

Also, obligatory Kemet recommendation. It's a thread darling for good reason and you don't have it so you should buy it.

Although I have no issues with either of these games and can similarly recommend them, there are a few asterisks attached. Diskwars requires a surprisingly large table for it. The game space itself is supposed to be 3x3 feet, plus you'll want some extra space on the sides for various tokens and whatnot. This is what prevents Diskwars from hitting the table that often. That and I have no idea how to actually store it with the expansions, but that is just my OCD thing.

Kemet is a fantastic game, but I imagine that it loses a lot in 2-3 players since a big part of the game is denying people powers. At lower player counts, players can get whatever they want, which can lead to some degenerate things. Again, great game, but I wouldn't play it with 2 and may hesitate at 3.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Somberbrero posted:

This goes back to an earlier discussion I missed out on, but I think Quantum should take Small World's place as the gateway wargame of choice. I can teach Quantum in ten minutes or less, it has a huge replay value with the modular board and variable upgrades, the combat is more interesting, and it's quick enough that the luck elements don't feel too aggravating.

I have a lot of nice things to say about Small World, even though I rarely feel the need to open the box now, but Quantum is just better in most ways.

I have Quantum on a pending CSI order (LCGs apparently cost me $100/month now...), and I hear that it is good, but is it good for "veteran" gamers or would we have outgrown it?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The End posted:

Agreed

I'd be surprised to see a game of TI where a player was attacking more than a couple times per game. People are amassing fleets pretty much constantly, and to stay in the arms race you have to be very judicious about how you expend that fleet. Too many casualties, and you're ripe picking for the players who stayed out of combat and now have full fleets to bear on your weakened empire. Basically, you don't attack unless you have rock solid relationships with your neighbours, or have a sizeable production advantage that you can replenish casualties quicker than you take them.

The only time I've seen people attack in my admittedly limited TI3 experience is to score a VP, usually by taking control of Mecatol Rex. I've never seen, for example, attacking for the sake of expansion.

For tactical games, Mage Wars and Warhammer: Disk Wars sprung to mind immediately. Dungeon Twister and Earth Reborn are strong considerations as well.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Radioactive Toy posted:

Wow yeah that's much better. I greatly enjoy the game but the US version's art style is super flat and boring.

The art is better on the Polish for sure, but I want to say that the colors/room types are a lot more vibrant on the US version, so that it's easier to tell at a glance what some rooms are. That being said, I'd still get this version.

Why do different countries get different art, though? That seems weird, unless it's a different publisher altogether that has higher/different standards. I would imagine that that would be a not inconsiderable cost, too.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I wonder how much it would cost to hire an actual Kirby imitator like Tom Scioli to do the card art

Hiring an actual competent artist would go against the intentional decision of having atrocious artwork for Sentinels, though, so why would they do that?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Countblanc posted:

I knew you'd come around. Now go! Go and play Troyes! It calls out to you, like a wronged, forgotten lover.

I still don't get why more people don't like Troyes :( It always feels so underrated, and I think it's far and away a much better game than, say, Alien Frontiers (in the "dice assignment" sort of genre). I think the one group I played it with felt that they "got their rear end kicked" by the board, but this was despite devoting exactly 0 resources to dealing with the events, especially those that were affecting them (like schism while trying to maintain control of the church). This is doubly weird since this is also a group that enjoys games like Space Alert and Galaxy Trucker, where the objective is to pretty much get your rear end kicked. I don't understand people.

Maybe I just need to play it more to see why it is a bad game or something, but I really don't think it is.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

jmzero posted:

Played a game of Tiny Epic Kingdoms. At 3 players, at least, it feels much too Risk-ish, with combat being a real drain for both parties; it feels like too often the winner is going to be "whoever got involved in the least fighting" (certainly was the case today, where I won by not participating in anything and stockpiling mana). That works and you can play a game like that, but it feels like a shame as there's other more interesting stuff in the game that this tramples over.

Tiny Epic Kingdoms is a bad game, but the only reason I've found for going to war (outside of a racial power I guess) is that it soft eliminates someone if you do it early. Since I think you start with 6 resources of your choosing, always go 6 mana. This gives you a ludicrous war chest that you can use to put pressure on everyone else building and making new dudes, and chances are you're gathering resources while they're doing this since, y'know, you have none. Then when the Quest/Patrol actions come up (or when you pick them), go ruin someone's day and smash them in. Going from 3 ->2 dudes or 2 -> 1 dudes in the early game is really harsh and chances are, that player will likely not be in the running for anything anymore. Be a constant Whack a Mole threat if they decide to ever expand from their one territory that they will likely be stuck in for the rest of the game. In Civ terms, this is basically you going Montezuma on them and rushing them with your racial Warriors.

Does it make the game fun? Absolutely not, especially for the person you bullied, but it'll take a lot of convincing that the game would be fun anyway.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Mannekin Pis is perfectly playable and definitely not overpowered and might actually be a little bit poo poo IMO.

The original promo Mannekin Pis was overpowered because whoever sat next to you when you built the wonder stage owed you a beer in addition to whatever else it gets, which means you win even if you get the fewest points. The Wonder Pack version nerfed it :smith:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

CaptainApathyUK posted:

I feel like I need a worker placement game in my collection, and am curious about Manhattan Project.

How is it? The theme definitely appeals, mostly just because I'm glad it's not farming or something equally dry.

I've been meaning to give this a try again, but from my experience, it was somehow both dry and really aggressive, which makes it a turn off for both the types of people who prefer dry Euro games and the people who prefer games with strong themes. Note that it is not so much a worker placement game as an engine building game, though, since your optimal play is usually "Turn A: Gather dudes Turn B: Place dudes on all your buildings (engine parts) to score points. Repeat." That is, most of the time your dudes are likely just on your own buildings, which are sorta hard for other players to get to. Other players, though, get to disrupt your engine with bombs and maybe spies. This can also lead to a dogpile on the leader thing, as people use their fighters to chew through the leader's fighters, and then once those are clear, bombing the poo poo out of [Crucial piece of the point assembly line].

It also has the Small World problem where a lot of your turns amount to just passing and doing nothing (in this case, getting your dudes back into your pool), so that kinda blows. And when peak efficiency means that those Do Nothing turns account for 50% of your actual turns, it doesn't really feel that great.

I didn't think it was the worst, but it felt really bland. I also think that there's something weird about the cartoony worker art contrasting with the dark themes of the game. Again, I only played it once, though, and that was without the expansions.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 8, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

A Jupiter posted:

Come to think of it, what's are games with a decent competitive scene?

You're likely going to want Netrunner for this. Magic has a better (generally, I don't know about current block) competitive scene, but a competitive deck will likely cost more than getting a full Netrunner set (about 300 if I'm doing my math right?).

For cheaper but less popular options, other 2 player games have tournaments occasionally, like Twilight Struggle. It wouldn't be too hard to organize a BattleCON tournament with a single Devastation box, either. Tactical games like Mage Wars and Warhammer Diskwars are easy tournament fodder, but they're not the most popular games. Of course stalwart abstracts like chess and Go are also competitive as hell.

Say no to Catan tournaments. Diplomacy tournaments, on the other hand, sound intense as hell.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Impermanent posted:

The game looks very strong, though, and whoever said that this is essentially Better Catan might not be far off. A couple of the quirks of the rules (like hidden bidding for turn order with ties going to the bank) are exactly my style.

Something that didn't click for me/my group early on is that it is MUCH less efficient to go to the market to buy/sell stuff than it is to just straight up trade for it. Actions are pretty goddamn precious, so it's usually better to, say, gather 2-3 Fruit and then trade it away (using the market prices as reference for relative worth) for the Wood and stuff you need than to Gather fruit, then sell 1 to the market, then buy your one Wood. Directly trading for that wood saves you TWO ACTIONS. Use the market as a last resort.

Also if an Import Crisis comes up that calls for 2 Fruit, make sure the rest of the table pays up for it. Otherwise you can let that goddamn island burn in revolt while drowning in your delicious nectars because capitalism.

Don't use the Separatist/the other weird one for your first few games, but I feel that it absolutely needs to be in the objective pool to make the Revolt track a legit threat. Otherwise people are going to just dance on the edge of it all game long and basically exploit it as another resource that eventually dries up. It becomes ridiculous if somebody takes the Slavery card (lets you "untap" all your dudes AND lets you reuse them to gather at the cost of 2 Unrest), since it just hyperboosts their economy.

Now I want to play Archipelago :(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

echoMateria posted:

This is a horrible first impression, why would you want to do this to anyone?

Speaking of horrible first impressions, I saw a game of Smash Up that took 2 hours to finish. At least 3 of the 6 player game were complete newbies. I don't really expect them to come around anymore. The one player I knew at the table was practically begging to play something else (he had never played Smash Up, and I guess wanted to learn).

So we played Theseus: The Dark Orbit, which was really interesting. I'm curious to see how well balanced it is in the long run, and frankly some of the "beginner" setups are really weird (why do the Greys have Landmines in their deck when their entire schtick is rushing the Data Point track, for example), but I thought it was a fun game. It took about half the game for all of us (none of us had played before) to actually understand how to properly screw over each other via the Mancala-esque mechanic and prevent certain moves, but once that got going, the dicking was maximized and turns started to take a while as people had to figure out proper moves. People got ejected into space, forced into Probes or various other traps, and a fun narrative of Scientists recording grey aliens probing "for research" was had by all. Unfortunately, since the board state can change a LOT, it's hard to actually plan stuff ahead of time without said plans getting completely hosed over.

But I'm totally eager to play it again.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Actually, fighting with Khorne is a surefire way to let him win much faster. None of the other three gods gain anything from engaging Khorne except possibly killing his warriors.

Playing Khorne with experienced players is actually kind of frustrating because not only do they know that they need to avoid Khorne, but they know the best ways to keep him out of their little corner of the map.

The only one who has any business rolling dice against Khorne might be Nurgle, and that is only because his dudes are cheap and his cards are poo poo, so he tends to have some surplus of power points around turn 3-4 unless Khorne was stomping on him hard. I guess Slaanesh might steal one of Khorne's warriors to use against him, but eh. It's way better used to steal a cultist/get a launching pad to plop down dudes. Tzeentch absolutely turtles like a motherfucker.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

echoMateria posted:

It was quite obvious even from that play that the game was made of pieces that didn't work well together. There were some neat ideas in there, but the implementation was so hap-hazard. Even writing about it made me feel depressed... Just stay away.

This sounds like Plaid Hat Games' usual schtick post Summoner Wars.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I don't suppose anyone has played a majority of the following and could compare them to games like Mage Knight (good but long and fiddly) and Arkham Horror (less good and even more long and fiddly:

Robinson Crusoe
Eldritch Horror

I don't really like Robinson Crusoe since so much of it seems like it is just out of my hand. With only (at most) 2 actions a round per player to deal with like 5 different bad things happening, it felt like anything I did lacked strategic input and victory or defeat was determined mostly by luck. I think it was supposed to be a game of triage, but just ended up being a sorta fumbling mess without any sense of triumph, big or small. Also the rulebook is horrible and I felt there were way too many tokens.

Eldritch Horror is basically a good version of Arkham Horror. The game gives the players a lot more direction that doesn't require them to wait around for Clues to pop so that they can gather them to close Gates that may or may not also pop up. There are a lot more reasons to have encounters in that they're (mostly?) mandatory now, instead of being optional if you were item hunting/healing, so if you like the flavor parts of it, it's got plenty of that. The game is a lot more streamlined, losing all the fiddly and kinda dumb parts, like rearranging stats, dealing with a Terror Track, dealing with monster movement, etc. It's still a bit fiddly since you tend to scour the board for Reckoning effects and still having approximately a billion tokens (I don't know why they didn't have generic +1/+2 tokens instead of individual ones for each stat, for example), but it's a lot better than dealing with all the useless poo poo in Arkham.

Neither compare to Mage Knight in any appreciable way besides having tokens.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 12, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

I also discovered there is an expansion for Theseus: The Dark Orbit which adds a faction: Bots :awesomelon:
I am going to be all over that poo poo. I really like Theseus :)

I think you were the only person I've seen who said words about Theseus, so thanks for the recommendation. I really enjoyed the couple games I've played. I'd be totally cool if they added more cards for the various factions though so that they don't overlap so much (I still don't know why Greys get landmines) and had some more cool, unique cards though.

But yeah I'm totally down for Bots.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

Eldritch Horror plays quite differently from Arkham Horror and you need to be careful in the rules because some things look and sound the same as in AH but are actually very different in EH (e.g. clues - they are too precious to waste on mitigating die roll randomness; mitigate that in EH by buffing your character.) EH has some really good ideas with the mysteries, etc. The campaign against e.g. The Black Goat plays extremely differently than the one against e.g. Azathoth, and does it all within the scope of the existing ruleset - i.e. no huge swaths of special rules, etc.

If you also like Earth Reborn but have no one to play with we're probably long-lost siblings or something.

I don't know if I like Earth Reborn because I have no one who wants to play it :smith: I still dislike Robinson Crusoe but that's not enough to make us mortal enemies or anything.

On Eldritch Horror, the new expansion introduces a new action called Focus that gives you a Focus token that can be used to reroll stuff. It is up there with solid "I have nothing better to do" actions like getting a ticket or trying to buy from the marketselling your soul for a loan.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Prairie Bus posted:

I played my first game of Eldrich Horror last week, and only just found out the focus action was added in an expansion. When we played, it seemed necessary to keep the game going through terrible rolls. I'm on the fence about picking up my own copy, but if I do, I'll be adding focus tokens.

I'm sure you don't need the actual expansion to add in the Focus Action. Just use something else to represent Focus tokens (Eldritch tokens are probably good) for your pre-expansion games.

Azran posted:

What's the deal with Cosmic Encounter? I see it gets some bad rep here but the SU&SD guys love it.

To try not to be too "controversial," it is a very, very random game that can last anywhere between 30 minutes to 3 hours, even with the same and same number of players.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I got these last week and The Resistance 2.5 is already on sale at CSI. Goddammit.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

burger time posted:

Is Theseus only good as a 2 player game? That's what the SU&SD review said. Is the 4p game as bad as people make it out to be?

I haven't gotten a full complement of 4 yet, but I played it with 2 and 3 and I think I may have preferred it at 2. The issue with more players, I think, is that it means there are more chances of someone loving up your plans, whereas a 2 player game, you can at least plan your moves around them (ie, he'll never get into this spot, which lets me set up to go to this spot). With more people, there are more chances for someone to really need to get to a space that you just happen to be on. It makes it harder to plan ahead without actively conspiring against someone. There might also be an issue where it makes certain traps, and I'm thinking of mostly Fire, more powerful since more people will be activating it...by passing through.

I didn't think it was a bad game at 3 at all, though, but I can see an argument for it being better with fewer. However, that may have been because we all spent about half the game not knowing what the hell any of us were doing or how to properly interact with each other. When that happened, we all got pretty good at not setting anyone else up for a big round, unless it meant a big round for ourselves. In the end, the space marine guy had the pretty simple task of activating Onslaughts since he didn't have to upgrade for them and got to like 12 points before the Greys or Scientists players got any Data Points. The Greys player eventually won through Mind Controlling people into an upgraded probe and upgrading all his dudes with what I assume are portable probes for more, uh, data analysis. And the Scientists watched on their camcorders, but never got the opportunity to download their fetish videos.

This is an accurate thematic summary of a game of Theseus: The Dark Orbit.

Edit: On the topic of reviews, I don't really care what their opinion is if I can see where it comes from (or if they straight up admit that it's purely irrational and based on nostalgia). Like a positive review of Cosmic Encounter that was like, "Yeah I played it with my dad in the 70s so I have all these memories attached to it" is worth more to me than "BEST GAME EVARRR" or "It's just fun." Unfortunately it seems like it is really hard to articulate why a game is good or not good without getting into the vagueness of gut instincts. But if I see some line of reasoning, I can at least understand where they're coming from and why they may think that way.

It's easy to point to very specific design and mechanics problems, like Munchkin's never ending nature, but it's harder for me to articulate, for example, why I find a lot of deckbuilders, including Dominion, boring as hell, even if I can appreciate other aspects of their designs. It's even harder when a game is very, very dependent on the group you're with, like any of the social deduction games (I have had horrific games of The Resistance) that can very easily poison the well for those games until you find the right group of people.

Luckily I think I've played enough games to know what sort of mechanics groove with me and what don't, so reading a rulebook is usually good enough to get a handle on a game and I don't have to spend time listening to some dude fumble through talking about a game. Except Rodney Smith, those videos own.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 13, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I don't like playing boardgames with other people so I'm the one who keeps asking for solo variants in everything.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I saw someone playing Androminion while playing a game of Power Grid or something, but however one feels about those respective games, that sort of behavior would just annoy the poo poo out of me too (I was at another table). It doesn't help that that guy had no social skills to speak of and was a general weirdo.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

I've done it. I've also played simultaneous online games of Through the Ages WITH THE PEOPLE I'M PLAYING IRL THROUGH THE AGES WITH. Our group has that much AP problems that no-one minds at all.

For Power Grid in particular, when you're out of the bidding first it can sometimes be a LONG time before anything relevant to you actually happens.

At the same time I sorta understand it, but I still think it's kinda rude to disassociate completely with the people you're playing with. I also tend to play with mostly friends with the odd stranger, so that may contribute to it.

Looselybased posted:

I would say the worst is the person who tries to be helpful while you're teaching the rules by interjecting and explaining edge cases. I feel like I've taught a million and half games and I've got teaching down to a science - don't interrupt my mojo brah, you're messing with my system. This inevitably leads to people asking more questions that lead to a derail and adds 20 more minutes to the rules explanation.

I think the worst is when you emphasize something as being super important to the game and that not knowing this rule will likely gently caress you over, they play the game, they interact with said rule, and they claim that you never explained said rule. Infuriates me to no end. This happens in even the most basic things, like explaining how the Provost works in Caylus or how the move phase works in Theseus (my most recent example), which includes examples and "audience participation" when I ask one of the players what would happen in this example. Somehow despite all this, they gently caress it all up.

Man this is a ranty page.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

The problem I have with the gaming stores I've been to in the Bay Area (and south bay) is that I usually like to play with my wife or less ~CORE~ friends and I can no longer tolerate the proto-goon types that just won't bug off. When I was into Magic and Warhams back in the day, I could tolerate the smelly guy that insisted on telling people who weren't listening about some game or something, even if it annoyed me. But now it's super uncomfortable. Even in the stores I've been to that seem to have a focus on board games, there's just always some mega-goons haunting the store and loitering around being anti-social.

I'm curious if the board gaming caffes avoid the magic hobo-types by having some sort of requirement to buy food in order to loiter around?

edit: I guess I'm also more sensitive to fact that the magic and warhams don't want us around, judging by the gamergate poo poo I've read all over the internet, too

I'm in the Bay Area and while I don't attend any FLGS events, I do attend a weekly meetup, which is (mostly) populated by normal dudes. I suspect that there's about 10-20 people on average that come out every week. There are a few people who really, REALLY love to share their (obviously terrible) politics, but I don't play with them and try not to make eye contact with them in general. But for the ~25% chaff there, the other 75% are pretty cool. For some reason, some people don't like us Netrunner types (all like 4-5 of us) very much, though. If you're interested, send me a PM or something.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Bruiser posted:

Okay so I've got a question. You can count my wife and I as one of the people who got into board games by the show Table Top. And yeah, we own most of what was shown on the show. We also have Twilight Struggle and the huge dominion set. I just finished catching up in the thread and there seemed to be some hate because he doesn't show real games. I guess my question is, what are some of the deeper games that we can get into?

Twilight Struggle seems like a huge step up from the type of games that Tabletop shows, but I think solid and popular light-medium weight games would be 7 Wonders, Castles of Burgundy, Kemet, Agricola/Caylus, Coup, The Resistance. It's super hard to recommend something without knowing what types of game you either like or are interested in. I'd say to put that disclaimer when asking for recommendations in the OP, but nobody ever reads the OP, so...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

This is the reason I don't really care to pick up any Vlaada games. From the outside looking in, it sounds like everything but Mage Knight, which looks long and fiddly, and Tash Kalar, which looks awesome, is designed to screw you. I cannot convince myself it sounds appealing.

The difference is that in most Vlaada games (Space Alert and Galaxy Truckers being the main ones I'm thinking of), losing is part of the appeal. That may not be a goal per se, but an unwinnable state is shared in Space Alert and not that big an issue in Galaxy Trucker because you still get to make your probably janky ship and watch it fall apart. The fun is in playing the game, not just being able to win it.

Dungeon Lords and Petz lose this quality a bit, but I don't think they're necessarily designed to screw you over any other player. Everybody is in the same screwboat.

Big McHuge posted:

Last night I got a chance to try out Spyrium. I won, by a large margin, and I'm still trying to figure out how exactly I did that. It's an interesting game, but I'll need a few more plays before I'm willing to call it a good game. Not a fan of the steampunk theme, but I can overlook that if the game under the hood is worthwhile.

Spyrium seems really underrated. It's not the greatest game in the world and it's not something I clamor to play, but I'd suggest it once in a while and never really regret spending the hour or so playing a game. I think it's a great intro game since there aren't too many variables or high level strategies and the rules are simple, but a lot of its mechanics are different than most other games.

I don't get what's to hate about the "steampunk" theme though since it's not at all there and everything is basically all industrial age stuff. You can literally replace the word spyrium with like coal or something and it would be literally the same game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The more I play Sellswords, the more I like it, but the more it frustrates me. The rules really, really need to be written better, and the abilities need better clarification. There've been so many questions that some explanations and some examples or even a more rigorous FAQ would have been great for. I really wish the game had come with an actual rulebook instead of a fold up map because drat, the "full explanation" of abilities really need to be fuller. The game is fine mechanically (barring some balance issues with regards to going first vs. second), but missing that fundamental accessibility of clear, coherent rules and explanations is killing it for me.

On the topic of Rome games, Mare Nostrum is coming back in print. I'm not sure how much I'd like the game post-Kemet, but I remember it was a fun Civ-ish game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Also this look loving awesome: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/152470/fief-france-1429

Kind of Game of Thronesy (with a suggested hour less playtime) -- and that marriage + assassination mechanic sounds delightful.

It's supposed to be modeled after Crusader Kings. I'll let you know when my Kickstarter arrives ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Gutter Owl posted:

Well, pledging for it is a bit of a sailed ship, since the Deluxe edition Kickstarter finished last weekend. I pledged for a copy, but I might end up turning around and selling it.

Here's the big problem for me: Pixel Tactics isn't competing against BattleCON for my table time. It's competing against Tash-Kalar. In the (way zoomed-out) abstract, both games are about drawing from a fixed deck of options and trying to keep the board stable enough to put those options to optimal use. And for that kind of gameplay, Tash-Kalar is far and away the better experience. I like Talton, but he's got a looooong way to go to compete with Vlaada.

My big hope is that the upcoming cube draft format will add the extra weight I want out of the game. Otherwise, it's hitting eBay or getting donated.

I like Pixel Tactics, but this is a fair assessment of what it is and where it is within my collection, although I'm not sure about Tash Kalar since TK is way more brain burnery for me in a way that definitely isn't there in PT. But in the scope of primarily 2p games, I don't really think it's good enough to replace something like Tash Kalar or Netrunner or WH40k Conquest for me, especially since right now it's super cumbersome to carry around. It's fine to bring it out once in a while, but it's never a game I'm really tempted to master its intricacies or think of when I'm not playing it. Heck, I think I even prefer Sellswords to it, especially if they ever properly write out a good rulebook for it. Sellswords also has the benefit of forcing me to use this as its soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ZXp_5M_7c.