Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Did anyone else back Galaxy of Trian? 3 months late so far because of hold ups on the stretch goal rewards, I just want my basic edition damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jedit posted:

Then go to your FLGS and buy a copy of Carcassonne. Even the designer admits that Galaxy of Trian is a knockoff of Carcassonne, and literally nothing about it is better than the original.

Uh, do you know anything about Trian? Drafting tiles from two piles for each turn, tiles are double sided, a lot more interaction between players and stealing of points, etc. There are tons of changes and additions to the Carc formula. Plus I already own Carc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jedit posted:

I've played it, which from what you're saying is more than you have. It's loving terrible and you should flip it without taking the shrink off.

At this rate I doubt I'll ever even get the damned thing. I'm curious about your harsh thoughts about the game, as every early review I've read has been positive and even said it is better in every way.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What is AP?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I bought Mage Knight at Megacon this weekend. I mostly got it to play solo, but holy poo poo this game is complicated. I also got Star Realms and it's a blast. Great deckbuilder.

I kinda want to get Marvel Dice Masters but I'm not sure about it. Is it worth getting into, or is it a big money sink to really enjoy?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

To be fair, I think Ascension is better than Star Realms, but it's paper edition is expensive as hell and Star Realms was only $10 for the full set, can't beat that. It's also a bit simpler and has co-op and solo challenges, which is ideal for us.

As for Marvel, yeah I don't want to get into boosters and crap, just wanted to get the starter sets and was wondering if they're worth it?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I really just like drafting mechanics, hence why I love deck builder games. Dominion doesn't really do it for me though, the lack of flavor feels like I'm playing a spreadsheet.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 16, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bubble-T posted:

Anything from these shelves

I've played a lot of the Penny Arcade game on iOS. Great fun for a buck. I'll try to snag Legendary cheap.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah I just saw they're having a tourney this month at the Maitland store, I might go check it out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't like fixed market drafting because you can just play your set strategy out and there is less decision making and adjusting to the flow of the game. I like the mix of skill + RNG that row drafting has.

Also you guys didn't dissuade me enough from Marvel Dice Heroes, I ended up getting a starter set and a few boosters and it's a lot of fun. Damnit.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mage Knight is like every game I've ever played shoved into one and I have no idea where to start learning. Anyone have a good Youtube guide or something?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone have any opinions on Caverna vs Agricola? Aside from the price difference ($40 vs $87), which would you recommend?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Note that Agricola is getting some sort of definitive edition or whatever next yearish so that it's more "tournament viable" or whatever. I realize that a year is a long time to not own/play a game you want to play, but I know some people would care about these things since board game resell is kinda difficult.
Hmm, that's interesting. I'll probably stick to the iPad version until I see more about this. Thanks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Out of all the actual problems with MtG and it's community, land screw probability is what drove you away? :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I agree, I was just joking about that being one of the least annoying parts of playing MtG. I personally love the way Hearthstone manages mana, are there any other card games that have a similar resource system?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Lol, there's no way that is right. A lower skilled player will have a deck that is not as well made, meaning they are more likely to get mana screwed because their mana sources won't be as optimized. They also won't be as good as knowing when to mulligan/draw in.

They've said it many times and a lower skilled player these days will be playing the same decks as the top players because of netdecking, so rng can give them a win over a much better player. It's not rocket science.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Speaking of Netrunner, my local shop has a lot of players and it looks fun, but what do you really need to buy to get into it at this point?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Rules are up for Dominion Adventures, including all the cards in the set.

e: Looks like tokens on piles still work if the pile is empty (and you can place tokens on already-empty piles), which is pretty good to know.

Is that an expansion or standalone?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cool story from NPR on Magic's success

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2015...ontent=20150417

quote:

To many people at Wizards of the Coast, the company that created Magic, this was the dream. "People at the company wanted to push that side of it," says George "Skaff" Elias, a game designer at the company in Magic's early days. "Produce more cards. Produce rarer cards. Keep the print runs limited."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You guys' gripes about market row drafting basically boils down to not liking RNG elements, which are a fundamental part of many great games

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 16, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I would put Ascension a few levels above Star Realms on the list of RNG fuckery. Star Realms is really straightforward and the choices are usually pretty obvious, but Ascension with the various expansions has a lot more room for synergy and decision making that can lead to a different experience. It's not as linear and I think that downplays the RNG effect.

With my Carc example, how many turns do you draw a dead tile and just place it arbitrarily? That's my least favorite thing in that game, at least if you have a bad row in Ascension there are plenty of ways to banish cards or buy a cheap one to hope for a better one next, etc. Your deck building can directly negate the RNG fuckery, and I think that's one of the more fun aspects of it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oh poo poo, where are you in Orlando? Let's play some games man!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

I live next to Fashion Square. I might go to Coolstuff on Wednesday if I get bored enough. PM me and we'll exchange contact info.

Cool, my wife and I were going to check it out too, I don't have PMs but just email me defeldus@gmail.com

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

To be fair, the 5 expansions for Star Realms do add a lot more variety and interaction, but it's still below Ascension (with expansions) in terms of complexity.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Of these LCGs should I get Netrunner, LotR, or Star Wars? I assume Netrunner has the biggest player base but I think my wife would enjoy the licensed ones a lot more.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

:wtf: am I even looking at

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ugh I have a gift card burning a hole in my pocket. Which should I buy:

Dominion + Dominion Adventures

or

Star Wars LCG + Edge of Darkness

Or a mix of two of the following:

LotR LCG

Imperial Settlers

Agircola All Creatures Big & Small

Roll for the Galaxy

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Are you at CSI tonight, Broken Loose? Lot of people here, I'm wearing a SF Giants baseball cap.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Played Dead of Winter and Lords of Xidit tonight and had a lot of fun with both. Our DoW game had 5 players and the scenario was collecting 15 samples from zombies by killing them and rolling a 4 or higher, but unfortunately we got two early bites and lost a lot of morale in the first two rounds. Then our betrayer pulled off some big shenanigans and we lost on round 5 by hitting 0 morale from another bite. My character, Sparky the Stunt dog, was the map of the game killing zombies left and right and contributing the most towards our objective. We were at 12 samples when we lost!

Lords of Xidit was my first programming game but it was a lot of fun. Planning out the next 6 moves and trying to play around what you think your opponents will do when the moves go off is a lot of fun. Got second in this one by one point!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

McNerd posted:

It's clearly true that some people feel this way, but those people are misguided. Balance and meaningful choices are key ways in which the game mechanics can contribute to a good narrative. Balance allows for dramatic tension where you don't know who's going to win. Meaningful choices force you to think about them and engage with the plot.

If these people just want a great narrative, they should go watch a movie together. Professional movie producers will give you a far better narrative with far better visual stimulation than a deck of cards. If they want a semidecent narrative and they want to have some control over it, and rules that force them to pay attention to what's going on, they should play an RPG (probably a rules-light freeform affair).

So why would they choose a board game as their narrative vehicle? Well for one thing, people just don't know about the existence of good light RPGs. For another, maybe they demand agency plus a tiny bit of visual stimulation, and there's a dearth of light RPGs that incorporate visual art (unless you count, say, Gloom or the DnD boardgames).

Otherwise it's because good mechanics can enhance the narrative by providing real win-or-lose stakes and a real challenge. I'm a big believer in that. But bad mechanics don't do that, they just put a bunch of fiddly busywork in between you and some B-movie plot. And the worst part is that because the "experience generator" crowd currently has such low standards, there's not as much incentive for game designers to make experience generators that actually are worth playing.

Yo, normal people don't overthink things this much and just experience a thing we call, "fun". Hth.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hearthstone is an ultra simplistic game. Like, if you've played MtG and come over to Hearthstone you'll already have a mastery of the mechanics (even though they're different) because it's just the most dumbed down CCG. It's a fun game to play on the pooper, but it's overly reliant on RNG and lacking in interesting mechanics or decisions. The optimal play is almost always completely obvious for both players so the majority of games come down to who drew better.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

see normal people would just have fun with it

Did you miss the sentence where I said I have fun with it while pooping?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Me too, but what do you think about Hearthstone?

I think it's ok

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I think it's just different art for the IAP. So they didn't gently caress up after all!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oh, I was just relaying what I had read in comments on a mobile gaming site. That does suck.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Regarding my last question of what to buy, I bought Dominion and Dominion Adventures despite your protests (I've played plenty of Dominion, so it wasn't my first expansion). I played a game of Adventures last night and immediately bought it.

Adventures is awesome. It's a great mix of the best features of previous expansions as well as some great new mechanics. I think it plays great without mixing anything else, but it can also have some serious synergy with whatever sets and styles you like. It can play big economy, lots of interaction, etc. The leveling up Traveller cards are a lot of fun and extremely powerful if you get it rolling. I really enjoy Events and Duration cards too. If you still enjoy Dominion I highly recommend this set.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Just gonna quote myself on why I think dead of winter does badly regarding what it is allegedly good at: theme.

I agree completely with you on that, but if everyone played openly then the betrayer wouldn't work in the game. I like the betrayer, but I think it should be a different system than the objectives for the reasons you stated. In my game Wednesday night, people thought I was the betrayer and almost exiled me because I was searching the library when we needed fuel.

One thing I think that helps is to constantly communicate what you need and ask for it without actually revealing your hidden card, since players can trade anything except equipment without being in the same location. That works well with keeping your objective hidden and even works with the betrayal aspect. But overall, the "survivors try to win, but everyone has to do extra things to WIN" mechanic is the worst part of the game. The scenarios, crisis, and crossroads cards work well enough to keep the game interesting without the secret objectives (except for the betrayer).

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 24, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I didn't know that you had to use it as soon as you get it. That is a pretty big flaw, since there are situations where you will just outright lose if everyone is trying to fulfill secret win conditions. Eh, I think we'll just play hardcore with no hidden objectives next time and see how that works.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Zurui posted:

Hey all-knowing board game goons: how is Smash-Up?

On a related note, what are some good deckbuilding games to move on to after Dominion?

The stand alone Ascension expansions are good fun. The base game is a bit dull. It's a very different experience though, since you're drafting from a random row of 5 cards that change every time a card is bought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You can also try Quarriors, which mixes deck building with dice rolling. Haven't played it myself. Legendary was recommended to me, the Marvel themed deck builder.

My suggestion though is Dominion Adventures, just came out and it rules.