Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Secret Hitler looks like the best Hitler-themed game since Dominion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Wait, they did the turd thing again this year?

Whoa, I didn't know a new Dominion expansion came out

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
you know who would use kickstarter to fund their game?

Hitler

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
CAH is fun like.. two or three times.

Then it's all grandma sex and horse cum

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Guys, you're supposed to keep it a secret if you're Hitler.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

MrDru posted:

Do non-white people like CAH? I really wanna know

It's basically the Simon and Garfunkle of games.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

StrixNebulosa posted:

Brilliant advice, thank you. This sounds like it'll be up our alley - one of the most satisfying things about Ticket to Ride was looking at our train empires afterwards, after all.

Splendor

7 Wonders is infinitely better than Dominion with three players.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

SynthOrange posted:

Being introduced to board games via which ones have ios ports first leads to some horrible lines of thought. "Oh, Dominions is like Tanto Cuore!"

...but it is.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

EvilChameleon posted:

Why would you recommend Splendor?

Comparing to TTR, you've got set collection mechanics, "card" drafting, combination payments for center board items, win by points, and a minimally-confrontational strategies that still offer ways to disrupt your opponents plan.

Plus, it has that "gaze at what I've made" things you get, even if you lose.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

NGDBSS posted:

I've occasionally seen that term, "market row", in conjunction with deckbuilders here. What's the issue with it - the randomness, or something else deeper? (I'm mostly curious as to the perspectives of game design.)

If it's a revolving market row, goons like to cry when someone takes a card before them.

If it's static market row, goons like to cry about only having the same stale cards all game.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

dropkickpikachu posted:

The problem is that usually hate-drafting in a game like Ascension means you're just actually getting a really good card anyway. The only reason to hate-draft in Ascension is if everything else on the board is absolute poo poo and the best thing for you to do would be to buy a card that your opponent might want a bit more than you. It sucks.

I've found not buying something is a legit strategy as well, especially if you're going lifebound combo or power enlightened. It denies your opponent information and it forces them to use resources and increase entropy to get a better draw. The downside is that if it's a cheap card, they get the reveal before you and first pick of the resultant flops.

sector_corrector posted:

You're a loving moron.

Salty nerd spotted.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 8, 2015

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
One big thing about games with revolving offerings is that you get a really broad set of card effects and can have interesting on-off cards that you wouldn't want 10 of in your deck. It's not necessarily better or worse, it's just a game design preference.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

GrandpaPants posted:

Has anyone tried to just make a preview window of 1-2 cards for these blind market row deckbuilders like Ascension (which I realize has other problems in addition to market row but)? Would that fix or alleviate the topdecking issue?

I've actually tried this for fun, showing the top card of the portal deck. I don't think it's be better or worse, it just changes the way you play a bit. It definitely makes you have to think less about what you take during your turn since you mitigate the risk from future purchase potential on the next flop. Often what happens is if an expensive card is on the top of the deck that both players want, they basically just keep buying Mystics (or Heavy Infantry) turn after turn, until they have the cost of the card, plus the lowest cost card in the center (and then buy both). It doesn't do as much as you'd think.

I've played it where you can only acquire or defeat one card per turn as well, and that makes low-entropy lifebound strategies comically broken, and basically negates void / monster strategies. Mechana works okay since you're usually only buying one per turn anyway. Power enlightened is really strong if you can pick up any "acquire or defeat x" and you don't consider it part of your single acquire for the turn.

I'm curious what the game would be like if the game had every card face up. It would be way too complicated for most people, but I could see it being fun as a novelty.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Through the Ages is the best market row game.

I keep hearing this but I haven't played it, does it live up to the #2?

e: While we're on the Ascension hate bandwagon, my copy of the Year One Collector's Edition came in and it's awesome:

Every card from the original set and Return of the Fallen printed in foil, including the mystics and heavy infantry, and first year of promo cards. Additionally, the board is matte black with a glossy black design in the background and silver foil marking all the spaces (if you play with it). The original cards have all been re-drawn or re-touched and they have the new frames on all of them as well (including the silver and white frames for the always available and starting decks, which I can't believe isn't more common in games. Makes set up and tear down faster since you can fan the deck and see which cards don't belong). I laid out some of the new art, and the foil looks fantastic in person (Magic-quality foiling).

If you're an Ascension hater this won't change your mind about the game, but if you liked the game but didn't like the original art / card frames / first printing, this is the set to get. You can get the original set only, non-foil, for $35 or so if that's your thing instead.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 8, 2015

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Toshimo posted:

Why the gently caress would you want your deck builder to be foiled?

It looks good. It's subtle, but still adds a nice touch to a collector's edition. It's foil the way Wizards does it with Magic, where the effect is moderated based on what it's on/around.

Also, the art and frames were redesigned from the first edition and it's (thus far) the only way to get the first two sets on the art reprint:

Some people want little metal trains or premium pieces in their games. I think more collectors editions should do things like this with the base game components (foiling cards, alternate art, using metal or sculpted material for resources, alternate game board design, etc), instead of just having a base game with a little collectable statue or figurine or something.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 8, 2015

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Are there any sleeves like the KMC Perfect Fit for nonstandard card sizes?

All the sleeves I've seen that are nonstandard are larger, or like lovely penny sleeves.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Speaking of deckbuilders, Ascension: Dreamscape is out today, with some really interesting dream "spells" and some interesting one-time-use one-drops.

Dream cards are drafted at the start of the game from a separate dream deck, and each player gets a few, available to them only. Dream Visions are like one-time use "spells" which are used as a comeback / game swing which manipulate the state of the game, and other Dream cards go to your regular deck when you buy them (with Dream tokens). Basically, you can draft a bunch of Visions to try and hedge against unfavorable game conditions, or draft regular dream cards to try and utilize synergy with them and the options you'll buy from the center row. In effect, it makes center row cards more or less valuable for certain players, depending on what their initial strategy was with their dream draft, instead of having "objectively" better or worse picks. Also, because they have different costs, you can go for a bunch of cheap ones, save for an expensive one later on, or forego trying to earn cards from your dreamscape and focus on a more "traditional" line of play.

The rest of the dream deck is put aside, but you can increase the number of cards available in your dreamscape through certain card rewards / abilities.

A card with that effect normally would cost about (5) or (6), but these give you the same effect, just at the cost of only being able to use them once. Could be great even in the late-game as it doesn't increase entropy and has a useful effect, especially the lifebound and enlightened ones.

New board looks good too:

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 16, 2015

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

EBag posted:

Picked up Caverna for a great price on amazon.ca, anyone have any recommended planos or organizers that you can get on Canada for it?

Broken Token

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Rutibex posted:

What did Forbidden Island do to deserve that kind of treatment?

Yeah, it should be in the trash out back.

What's a fair price to sell a (practically mint) copy of Dominion, Pandemic, Eclipse?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Zveroboy posted:

Please tell me there's a story behind this...

He played Catan

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Splizwarf posted:

So... Kingsburg is good? Bad? Never played it, or seen it I guess.

I played it once, I thought it was okay. I can see it being a game for light gamers. It's extremely dice-dependent.

It's the kind of game that I'd play again, but wouldn't buy.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Viper915 posted:

I know everyone hates cards against humanity, and I'm right there with you, but I ran across this article tonight. I don't know if it's legit or if there's more behind it, but at face value it seems like a good thing and a happy story to read during the holidays.

http://www.someecards.com/news/so-that-happened/cards-against-humanity-vacation/

I dont hate the player, I hate the game.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

CancerCakes posted:

Codenames was a hit at the family get together, everyone really liked it once they worked out how it worked

Then we played monopoly. It went how you would expect

:doh:

Just as long as you play by the rules, it's not that bad. Plus it's over in like 30 minutes.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The chances of a card being on the bottom of your deck are proportional to how impactful the card would be on the current gamestate.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Anonymous Robot posted:

How is regular Agricola for 2 players?

I like it but it comes down a lot more to resource denial and screwing each other over.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is anyone selling Ascension: Dreamscape?

CSI and MM are just showing preorder, but the game is out. The manufacturer is selling it for MSRP, but I was hoping I could get it in the ~$26 range that the third parties are offering it for.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Ascension: Dreamscape is in stock at CSI now, as well as the Year Two Collector's Edition.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Bottom Liner posted:

:lol: I don't know which one is worse

:ughh:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a copy of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective anyone is selling?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Any games like Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective or Tales of the Arabian Nights?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Any word on when Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective is coming back in stock anywhere? Is it getting reprinted or what?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is Sherlock Consulting Detective out of print?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

I'm going to be playing Sheriff of Nottingham tonight. Anything I should keep in mind, be aware of, or modify the rules for?

I seem to remember some people disliking the end game bonuses.

Act like a ridiculous Renaissance fair actor trying to be British every time you're the sheriff.

Or, if other people are doing that, act like a sheriff from the old west.

Make up a lie of how items got in your bag whenever you get caught.

Make up a lie of how items got in your bag if you sneak them through.

Tell the sheriff you're a traveling baker from bakershire and you're bringing baked goods to feed starving infants in town and it would be most troublesome if the sheriff opened your bag and ruined the loaves for the children.

Ham it up more than Shatner

Legitimately, it's also easier to lie to people more convincingly if you do it "in character", since it's not you lying anymore, it's your character.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 26, 2016

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Sherlock is back in stock at CSI

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Netrunner expansion purchase order?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Do new or used Netrunner expansions ever go up for deals?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
New Ascension set announced: http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/34344/the-conflict-between-light-dark-heats-up

Seems to have some sort of day / night mechanic (that I'm not completely familiar with) that alters the effect of cards. Also some dual-cost cards. Looks like they're using the Dreamscape artist(s) again.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

S.J. posted:

I want all of that art and the art from the last set but like, completely without the game please

e: Actually, who did the art for that?

I don't know, but I know Sabee is still doing his style in some cards too. Sounds like a mix now.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Does anyone know the deck lists of the new Agricola printing? I've only got the base game but I heard they removed the "dead" cards from the base game and wanted to pull them out of my deck as well.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Lorini posted:

They added new cards, so I don't know if that would work. I'd suggest subscribing to the file section of Agricola to see if anything gets uploaded.

They added cards from other sets but they also removed some cards from the base set. I want to know what they removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm getting a GeekChic table but have a question about the get playing surface.

For my felt option, I either get the normal velvet or the "speed cloth" like Vegas poker tables have that cards go shooting across when dealt.

I've heard the original felt picks up dust and fluff like crazy. I'm also concerned the speed cloth might be too slick and make stacks of cards slide, especially in deck builders where the deck is shuffled and handled often.

Does anyone have experience with this? I'm asking GeekChic but didn't know if anyone had a take on it.