Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Broken Loose posted:

I respect that. I did notice how there's only 5 rounds in the game, which seemed really really short. The "target a player" spots seem bad, now that I've seen what all the spots do in the manual (although Vasel not only didn't mention them, but he probably would have praised them).

The concept reminds me of a proof-of-concept prototype I made halfway through last year, which is why I was intrigued at all. It's a shame my concerns that made the game merely okay were much more substantial than I suspected. It seems like this is a game whose short length betrays it, despite being probably a selling point.

Yeah, I would agree exactly. If the game were 8 or so rounds, it would feel like you can build up a bit for a round occasionally. With five, it just felt like if you're not desperately scrambling for anything at all with regards to the objectives, you're getting nothing done, and it just felt really unpolished.

Extremely anime, though. Very, very anime. Is that a selling point? (no, it's not)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Have you talked with your friend to see whether or not he understands what good games are?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Durendal posted:

I have, but he is one of those guys who would rather play CaH or Monopoly. He says my games take too long, or aren't as "classic".

Take too long, you say. Take too long.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah, I guess now my question is, have you tried asking him why his opinions literally contradict with eachother?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The End posted:

Holy gently caress. Sever.

Nah, don't sever. Just, uh, don't play games with him anymore.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

I don't like playing Dominion, but it always felt to me that most of the attempts to redo dominion just seem to be outright lazy in terms of how they approach the mechanisms. To me the biggest example of this is the crappy 'random market' system of many dominion-clones: it's just a way to avoid having to playtest lots of different iterations of the market like a game like dominion has.

People should play Salmon Rush. It has issues but it has some really interest design elements as well.

You mean salmon run right?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I mean, just last week BL basically said he hates TtA because it's a single deck game where you can get completely screwed early and have to play it out, which all of us who love the game completely agreed with.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I think the main culprits are MK and TtA, and not because of learning necessarily, but they are complicated and looking things up in the rulebook is really awful.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Definitely just another deck to play, more variability without making the game more complicated.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Played Through The Ages last night and ended up playing 3 games in a row 'til 5 AM. I don't even.

Sounds about right.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I'm considering getting Mage Wars but should I wait for the upcoming arena core pack? And does anyone have any experience with the game if it's a good one?

Do you have someone you already know that has already promised to play with you?

If not, I...kinda would suggest not getting it. Hard as hell to get played.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I think nsfw is going to have, like, more gorey pictures of cats exploding? I dunno.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Cats with tits

Cits.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bubble-T posted:

Not really multiplayer solitaire but can I suggest you try Dungeon Lords? It's got that worker-placement feel but it's much harder to be a passive-aggressive jerk because there's 3 slots on each action to share between 4 players and you select your actions secretly and simultaneously (a bit like Race for the Galaxy) so it's not nearly as easy to mess up someone else's plan with pinpoint accuracy.

It is still a pretty mean game in true Vlaada style, though.

You're right that it's not easy, but hoo boy is it really really damaging when someone is capable of messing someone up.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jedit posted:

Yes, but they won't be utterly and humiliatingly wrecked by the game itself.

Right, punishing doesn't mean "won't win", punishing means "will feel like got nothing done".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I mostly played Cosmic but years before had decided on Advanced Civ as my favoritist game ever, plus played chess all through high school. I really don't know what the gently caress.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Or, y'know, Castles of Burgundy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Lorini posted:

I've been playing in this hobby for so so long, thirty years last year. Diplomacy was my drug.

What's different now is that I don't have to get up at 5AM to call Just Games in London to order games. The long distance charges at 5AM were a mere dollar a minute. Just Games were the only place that spoke English and that would translate the German game rules. Looking for translations back in the late 80's was nearly a full time job. You guys don't even think about what it takes to properly translate these games that are originally done in German.

I also don't have to pay the ridiculous over-the-top prices that Games People Play in Boston used to charge.

I played a lot of Settlers back in the day, but I don't like it now. By the time I was exposed to Munchkin I already knew I wouldn't like it, but my kid did for awhile when he was pretty young.

GPP still charges those incredibly horrible prices, by the by.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

bowmore posted:

Archipelago is good right?

Only if you pronounce it "Arr kih peh LAH go".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

Slavery the game?

No, that's Freedom.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Merauder posted:

I'd rather have to store my expansion separately than just get a literally empty box that some games still come with to hold cards, tokens, dice, and various other bits.

What if it came with dozens of little baggies to store the bits in?

If that's acceptable, buy baggies by the hundred and you'll never complain again.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

disperse posted:

OK, thanks all, that certainly makes the game a lot easier. I picked up "Holiday House" last night and had to eat a bunch of animals and spare grain during the 2nd Harvest in a row...

Holiday House is...really hard to play and have it be good. Really hard. Like don't play it hard, are you really going to get less than 8 points in the final turn? Should be at least a couple points per worker, ideally.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Lord Frisk posted:

There's also Brettspielwelt for online options, and a dedicated Terra Mystica site.

The question here mentioned BSW. :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

I did laugh at that, I must admit.

It was really funny, and completely bizarre.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Oh my gosh you're not kidding:

So just the useful social parts of BGG, but hey, I can look up Board Game Rankings all day!

Also Archipelago owns and I wish I could get War and Peace but it has completely vanished from the USA.

I literally only use it to log plays at conventions so I don't forget wtf I played.

And by use it I mean I did that this past LobsterTrap and it was great.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Just play go, handicaps are built in!

:v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

BonHair posted:

This. The store analogy is not an obsolete market, but a yarn store that has crammed everything in because some people want absolutely al kinds of yarn and the store owners fee like just having it will make people come. It works, but it would be really nice if someone quadrupled the size, made aisles and organised everything on shelves by sensible metrics and maybe cut away some of the sheep bios for the common wools.

Also, yeah, it's the place where you can get goats wool from Fiji or whatever the yarn equivalent of opinions on obscure games is.

There are so many yarn shops like this. Just saying.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

BonHair posted:

Exactly why I picked that specific shop type. It goes for some board game stores too though, or comic books or whatever nerd thing. Hell, even music stores (instruments and records alike) do it. But it doesn't work for casual mainstreamers and beginners. Just like BGG is terribe for new gamers. See the guy who bought Twilight Struggle after loving Forbidden Island "because it was #1 on BGG"

Yup. I was clarifying for anyone who didn't know that you were being very deliberate, so many goddamn yarn shops like that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm surprised anyone would even consider listening to the opinions of anyone living in Florida.

Yeah I mean, this kickstarter thing that just got posted, who would listen to *that* designer??

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What do you ludoholics think about Pret-a-porter? Looks like it's super out of print. I have some friends who I think would be really into the theme

E: welp I know what I'm getting my nephew http://www.nerdist.com/2015/02/exclusive-hasbro-announces-star-wars-loopin-chewie-game/

I'm terrible at Pret-a-porter, but my wife is fantastic at it. It's good, engine builder/snowballing, fashion themed. The rulebook is not well translated, sadly, in that there's errors/errata/etc that make it hard to learn.

It's all about opportunistic plays at the beginning turning out to be amazingly farsighted victories, which if you're either good at such intuitions or have played the game a few times, makes for some really cool decisions.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Since the 18XX thread died (RIP), this thread will have to face once again my pics of 18XX boards. Managed to win this 3P one :getin:
This is a print and play made by one of the players: pretty beautiful in terms of 18XX components:

Sad about that thread, but happy to keep seeing these posts, so please do keep posting them.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

sicarius posted:

So is Final Attack! currently only in KS? I ask because that's the only mention I find of it, yet people are talking about playing already. I've been checked out of the thread for a month or so... I feel very behind.

Yes, but there's a sekwit goon Print and Play.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Easy quick answer, Castles of Burgundy?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jedit posted:

I've played it, and I won't play it again. It's just a basic point salad game with one neat mechanic, and the winner is the person whose turn 1 strategy best matches the completely random tile draws in later turns.

Played it twice in one convention, liked it quite a bit, won't ever play it again!

Yeah it's very forgettable, I'd much rather just play a 4p game of Agricola since I rarely get to play more than 2.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mega64 posted:

What's a good $15-$20 game to grab to help pad out my CSI order of Dungeon Petz and Argent: The Consortium? Especially something that's not worker placement because I've been buying a lot of those recently.

CoB?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mega64 posted:

What is CoB? Only thing I can think of is Castles of Burgundy, and my friend already owns that one.

I recall there being good words about Samurai Spirit. Is it worth a purchase?

e: I see the Dungeon Petz expansion is also in stock. Is it also rare enough to go ahead and grab now?

Yeah sorry castles of burgundy was the one.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

You can play very evil, but if you do, you have to play smart. You tend to waste a lot of actions just preventing yourself from being evil if you play too conservatively.

Skirting the edge of too evil is usually the easiest strategy, get easier adventurers and no paladin while getting useful ghosts, vampires, demons. But getting the propaganda room can get you super easy adventurers so you can focus on more imps and rooms, getting super evil means you can get all the best monsters and extra from the paladin. It's all what you can do while getting lots of points.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

jmzero posted:

For me, some of the choices in Mage Knight do feel unsatisfying at times - particularly "where to go". You have to be very movement efficient to do well, and that's fair - but too often (not always, but often), it feels like you have to do pretty much "whatever's closest". Very seldom do I, say, backtrack or really go out of my way for something - it just ends up costing too much to get around. Too often (again, not always) the game ends up feeling much more linear than the map might suggest.

Well, that's kinda why movement advanced actions can be extremely important, for traversing difficult terrain or zooming through fields like you're on a cheetah.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Frijolero posted:

I've been trying to find a game that my girlfriend would like. She refuses to play Agricola (Family mode) because "there's too much going on." Her three criteria for a board game are Simple, Pretty, and Fun. She also wants something with cool components and player tokens and something with a modern setting. I also highly doubt she would be into card-heavy games.

I wanted her to like Castles of Mad King soo bad, but that failed. She insists there's too much happening :smith:. I don't know if she's simply not able to get into board games or if I am going about it the wrong way. At least she seemed to like Pandemic when she saw it on Tabletop. So I'm thinking something like Pandemic, but for reason I am not personally drawn to it.

Any suggestions?

Takenoko?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

They put their guesses face down, and no you can't tell people what yours is. The time limit is that eventually people will use all their guesses and take the tokens in the middle and then the round end, I have never ever heard of anyone complaining of AP in that game.