Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Countblanc posted:

My biggest critique with Roll for the Galaxy is that it ends just when people are getting engines. Like, I know it's strong design to end a game before it turns into people just running their engines, but the necessary number of points in Roll needed to end the game seems a bit too low. Which fortunately is easily fixed by simply requiring a few more, but yeah. Has anyone ever seen the game end from the "build 12 things" condition instead of the "exhaust [points based on player count]" one?

Last time I played someone hit 12 and few other people were close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Countblanc posted:

My biggest critique with Roll for the Galaxy is that it ends just when people are getting engines. Like, I know it's strong design to end a game before it turns into people just running their engines, but the necessary number of points in Roll needed to end the game seems a bit too low. Which fortunately is easily fixed by simply requiring a few more, but yeah. Has anyone ever seen the game end from the "build 12 things" condition instead of the "exhaust [points based on player count]" one?

I had a game end exactly once from running out of points. Build cards more aggressively, especially the 6 cost developments.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Countblanc posted:

You find this to be more apparent than in Race? Race definitely has this feel, where you just want a few more turns to run your engine just as you've finally got it set up, and then it ends. At first I wished the game lasted a bit longer but I like the tightness of it at the same time as it makes the end game really tense.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

djfooboo posted:

But then your hands smell like pennies... :barf:

Haven't you heard of money laundering?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Deathlove posted:

Played a few games of Samurai Spirit over the weekend. Won both times on Normal without really any danger, which had me wondering if we were doing it wrong, but we checked the rules obsessively and I think we just had a good deal of plunderers. You can use your own Kiai every time on your turn, right? And if you support, the other person has to give back the support token at the end of their turn?

Yes, as long as you're hitting the required number every time i believe

Also yes, you have to give it back regardless if you actually used it or not.

Also I made an account on KS just to back Final Attack, don't let me down BrokenLoose

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Chill la Chill posted:

lol if you're too poor to use real gems big enough to hold in your game of splendor.

I'm still waiting for the announcement of a version of Splendor, only available in Dubai or the UAE, that has actual cut gems and solid gold coins instead of the poker chips. Just to reinforce the colour of each card, they're all encrusted with tiny matching gems and gold filigree around the edges. Would have of course have to come in an outrageously oversized and overdesigned box (like the original :v:).

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

homullus posted:

Haven't you heard of money laundering?

:golfclap:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bobvonunheil posted:

You can get decent metal coins from any bank, 100 of them for only a dollar.

Switch up the country if you want something people don't immediately identify as real currency. Get a mix of British coins if you live in the US.

The best place to find bulk coins is the same place to find out of print board games: The Flea Market. I collect coins in addition to board games (my best one is a 1798 coin from the Holy Roman Empire I got at a garage sale for $1 :hist101:) Go and find a booth that looks like the below picture. They always have a bin of loose coins from odd nations/pre-euro countries for super cheap. Grab a bunch of Francs/Lyra/Peso or whatever for your game:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 11, 2015

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I will pray every day that Broken Loose's Kickstarter is running that it will be successful so that a copy can get into Vasal's hands so he can review it, and this thread can have a meltdown.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Just backed it for $50.

Good luck buddy!

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

zandert33 posted:

I will pray every day that Broken Loose's Kickstarter is running that it will be successful so that a copy can get into Vasal's hands so he can review it, and this thread can have a meltdown.

I'd rather get a copy into Rodney Smith's hands. I'd really like to see him and his son yell out "LET'S FINAL COMBINATION".

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

zandert33 posted:

Looking forward to him trashing the game for being called 'Final Attack' when you only get to do the final attack once per game.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Just backed. Good luck BL!

Hopefully you can make an expansion that has the persistent characters like Space Alert's expansion.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

BL, I like how the top tier is to give you a vacation.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

zandert33 posted:

One of the DiceTower affiliate reviewers got to try the game a while back, and I can probably predict how Tom Vasel's going to respond to it. Vasel hates real-time games, he hates games that use social elements (he uses "party game" as a pejorative), he doesn't have any interest in the source material, and, worst of all, the game is designed to be challenging (which will be an absolute kiss of death).

Radioactive Toy posted:

Just backed. Good luck BL!

Hopefully you can make an expansion that has the persistent characters like Space Alert's expansion.

It's already in development. complete with "plot armor" checkbox that functions similar to the clone consent checkbox.

There's also a bunch of other wacky stuff, but I've put off work on Final Attack!: Second Season to try to publish the initial game.

edit: Goddamn I can't type! Today's been a doozy!

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 11, 2015

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Broken Loose posted:

One of the DiceTower affiliate reviewers got to try the game a while back, and I can probably predict how Tom Vasel's going to respond to it. Vasel hates real-time games, he hates games that use social elements (he uses "party game" as a pejorative), he doesn't have any interest in the source material, and, worst of all the game, is designed to be challenging which (will be an absolute kiss of death).

I can't wait!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
And even Tom Vasel slamming it will still give it exposure, which is hilarious.

Hell, it'd almost be better if he loudly proclaims to never buy Final Attack.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Broken Loose posted:

One of the DiceTower affiliate reviewers got to try the game a while back, and I can probably predict how Tom Vasel's going to respond to it. Vasel hates real-time games, he hates games that use social elements (he uses "party game" as a pejorative), he doesn't have any interest in the source material, and, worst of all, the game is designed to be challenging (which will be an absolute kiss of death).

But is it Just Fun™?

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Broken Loose posted:

Rahdo loves real time games and since he was a video game designer (and doesn't have some weird bias about some styles of cartoons unlike some people) would also get into the theme. Though I wonder how and if FA! would scale to 2. He and Jen wasn't able to play SA with 2, so it isn't amongst their favorites.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
FA seems like the kind of game both Wil Wheaton's group and SU&SD would go loving bananas over but who knows anymore

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

echoMateria posted:

Rahdo loves real time games and since he was a video game designer (and doesn't have some weird bias about some styles of cartoons unlike some people) would also get into the theme. Though I wonder how and if FA! would scale to 2. He and Jen wasn't able to play SA with 2, so it isn't amongst their favorites.

2-man FA! was difficult to balance, but now it's possibly the easiest way to play the game. Really, the player scaling is quite elegant; you just give players more Drive Keys and cards. The upped stress of having a larger workload is reduced by having more power, so to speak.

I think I've said this before, but I went out of my way to make 1-player FA! be super awesome. I did it to make it easier for me to playtest new things, and I also did it because we constantly talk about Mage Knight really being the only option for solo play in this thread.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

well thats because i havent shilled hard enough for coin yet

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Broken Loose posted:

2-man FA! was difficult to balance, but now it's possibly the easiest way to play the game. Really, the player scaling is quite elegant; you just give players more Drive Keys and cards. The upped stress of having a larger workload is reduced by having more power, so to speak.

I think I've said this before, but I went out of my way to make 1-player FA! be super awesome. I did it to make it easier for me to playtest new things, and I also did it because we constantly talk about Mage Knight really being the only option for solo play in this thread.

That is badass. I am legitimately hyped up and recommending the game to friends. The social aspect should sell a few of them haha

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Broken Loose posted:

Have you got into contact with these popular reviewers? Not all of them require you to send them high quality prototypes. I have watched Rahdo playing with prototypes he printed out from his cheap house printer.

A Kickstarter owner I talked last year mentioned that he only has 2 prototypes at ready, so he was sending them to reviewers and they were sending back to be shipped to others after they finish their reviews. So I gather there are various ways of handling this.

Getting mentions or coverage from any of these people cause explosions of pledges, I have seen it happen many times on stuff I backed, do not pass it lightly.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Countblanc posted:

FA seems like the kind of game both Wil Wheaton's group and SU&SD would go loving bananas over but who knows anymore

Filming a real time game for Tabletop would be a nightmare. It also wouldn't let the players interact between turns, which is a huge draw of the show.

chalupacabra
Apr 13, 2007

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Just backed your KS, BL. Also, shared Final Attack with a buddy of mine who has admittedly lovely taste in games. His comment: "I just wish Sentinels had art this good." He also threw in $50.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rutibex posted:

Filming a real time game for Tabletop would be a nightmare. It also wouldn't let the players interact between turns, which is a huge draw of the show.

If you watch BL's gameplay video, you can see that there's plenty of time to talk between rounds - Every time you start an Impact Round, you pause the audio and the game becomes a resolution phase. Still might be difficult, but a lot more viable than Space Alert or similar games.

Three Pixel
Jun 13, 2003

In space no one can hear your anime stare downs.
I backed ya last night and sent it along to my buddy who is a sucker for this kind of theme. I think he's passed it on as well so here's hoping.

I feel like before the first group play I should make helmets in the player colors for ultimate effect.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Good luck with the Kickstarter, BL.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

What do you ludoholics think about Pret-a-porter? Looks like it's super out of print. I have some friends who I think would be really into the theme

E: welp I know what I'm getting my nephew http://www.nerdist.com/2015/02/exclusive-hasbro-announces-star-wars-loopin-chewie-game/

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 11, 2015

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

Isn't "more work per player" effectively what Space Alert does? (Which I think works fine, as far as it goes.)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What do you ludoholics think about Pret-a-porter? Looks like it's super out of print. I have some friends who I think would be really into the theme

E: welp I know what I'm getting my nephew http://www.nerdist.com/2015/02/exclusive-hasbro-announces-star-wars-loopin-chewie-game/

I'm terrible at Pret-a-porter, but my wife is fantastic at it. It's good, engine builder/snowballing, fashion themed. The rulebook is not well translated, sadly, in that there's errors/errata/etc that make it hard to learn.

It's all about opportunistic plays at the beginning turning out to be amazingly farsighted victories, which if you're either good at such intuitions or have played the game a few times, makes for some really cool decisions.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Played Galaxy Trucker for the first time last night and found it really easy

Turns out we didn't know you lose if you get lapped, run out of people or have no engines on open space, and that there are supposed to be secret cards

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

bowmore posted:

Played Galaxy Trucker for the first time last night and found it really easy

Turns out we didn't know you lose if you get lapped, run out of people or have no engines on open space, and that there are supposed to be secret cards

Running out of people is the main way people die early on. Slavers can wipe out a ship quick. I've never seen a ship lapped yet, but those times when you lose your engines and cross your fingers for no more open spaces... the game is really fun and tense at times.

Secret cards are an optional thing from the first expansion. I've yet to use them because my other players already die on their own, we haven't had to up the difficulty much yet. Aside from a single Rough Roads card each game that is :)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ravendas posted:

Secret cards are an optional thing from the first expansion.
Not quite! 3/4s of the deck is public when you're building your ships, but the last fourth is put in after the build phase, so you can never be completely prepared for what the game's going to throw at you.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Giant robot animes don't really do it for me but on the other hand I love realtime and yelling at people so I backed final attack on that basis

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

Not quite! 3/4s of the deck is public when you're building your ships, but the last fourth is put in after the build phase, so you can never be completely prepared for what the game's going to throw at you.

Always assume that one of the facedown cards after the first round is Epidemic and you're generally good to go (well, as good as you can be in this game, at least.)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ravendas posted:

Running out of people is the main way people die early on. Slavers can wipe out a ship quick. I've never seen a ship lapped yet, but those times when you lose your engines and cross your fingers for no more open spaces... the game is really fun and tense at times.

Secret cards are an optional thing from the first expansion. I've yet to use them because my other players already die on their own, we haven't had to up the difficulty much yet. Aside from a single Rough Roads card each game that is :)
Yeah, haha. We were like well this is easy

Guess we don't find reading rules easy

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Poison Mushroom posted:

I thought he was talking about the extra cards from the expansion, where each player gets 4 cards, and chooses one to mix into the deck each round to mess with everyone else.

Right, three of the event stacks are viewable, the 4th isn't though. I didn't realize he meant those cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I know I've seen at least one person here say they enjoyed To Court The King, details about a 'remake' of sorts from Tom Lehmann and Bezier Games have just come out: https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/38707/new-game-round-lehmann-courts-power-favor-pharaoh

Sounds like it's pretty heavily expanded and rebalanced. Lehmann must have been bitten by a radioactive dice or something, I think this is his fourth dice game to come out within a year.