Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so i'm in the market for a gaming desktop which i need to last me like six years. i'm too incompetent to build a computer myself. what should i buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i was thinking maybe a dell xps.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Buy a cheap Lenovo prebuilt w/ an i3 and put a real video card in it and use it for like two years instead of thinking you can futureproof for 6 years.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
If your to stupid to build youre own OP, i reccomend Alienware

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Fellis posted:

If your to stupid to build youre own OP, i reccomend Alienware

i was looking at the x51s and they appear to have p good reviews but i'm concerned that their console size would make adding a second hard drive impossible. also look rly lame.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

just build your own its really easy these days and you get a pc for like 50% of the cost of a prebuilt

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

if you must buy prebuilt, buy it locally - so you have somewhere you can take it if it breaks. like a best buy or a dell store or something.

the absolute dumbest thing is buying a prebuilt and having to ship it if it breaks.

i recommend building your own

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i had trouble upgrading the video card on my 2008 xps i feel like building my own would just be a horrible disaster

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Fandyien posted:

adding a second hard drive.

If you can add a second hard drive to a machine, you can build your own. It really is more or less foolproof these days. The PC building thread over in SH/SC is quite helpful.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
If you can recognize objects of the same size, you can build a PC.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Just build it yourself it's really easy.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

op unless you're literally a blind elephant seal you should be able to build a pc its like, slot a tab b poo poo

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

try the playstation 4 OP.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Doctor Goat posted:

If you can recognize objects of the same size, you can build a PC.

i ca't

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I knew absolutely nothing about building a computer and I was still able to. There's literally videos showing you how to do it, you can't screw it up.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Its lego.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Be careful not to smash your motherboard with your giant stupid idiot hands cause this will cause electrical shorts.

PS: You can't future proof a PC for six years. Three maybe.

I'm on a PC I built seven years ago and the only parts in it from then are the power source, motherboard, and CPU.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 14, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPjGdq6baGM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu9gzuSMlFA

Rich Evans can build a PC. Why can't you?

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

The heatsink+fan that comes with Intel CPUs these days is pretty decent. Stuff that beats it in performance are usually gigantic and a pain in the rear end to install because they need brackets on the back of the motherboard for support or a giant radiator.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Concordat posted:

Be careful not to smash your motherboard with your giant stupid idiot hands cause this will cause electrical shorts.

I'm on a PC I built seven years ago and the only parts in it from then are the power source, motherboard, and CPU.

You can future-proof a PC for 8 years because that's how long it takes them to release a new console and graphics will never be better than what a console can run.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thug Lessons posted:

You can future-proof a PC for 8 years because that's how long it takes them to release a new console and graphics will never be better than what a console can run.

yeah but companies do dog poo poo optimization for pc sometimes requiring more power until there's a patch or driver update or whatever. so you're right unless someone says "but but but what about if you want to play lovely games at launch on very high settings?"

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

for like $400 and some change you can build a really powerful gaming PC right now. Or you could buy a prebuilt that can just about render the Facebook front page.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Concordat posted:

depends on what you consider "future proof"

i mean i'm using mostly the same system since summer 2007, only changes being an additional 2 gb ram and a different but long since outdated videocard (my 8800 gtx suddenly broke in late 2009, so i put in a radeon 4900hd because it was a little faster and on offer at the time), and i'm pretty sure it'll still run most new games acceptably well if you lower the settings a bit

of course if you want your average framerate in the majority of games to be no less than 60 at max settings then yeah i guess it'll be 3 years tops

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

I would have gotten a new CPU by now if I hadn't been unlucky enough to buy a motherboard with a CPU socket they were about to stop supporting.

Sizup
Nov 25, 2008

op if you stream yourself assembling the computer i will help you in real time

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
get a macbook

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
just buy all the parts and make some schmuck at Best Buy build it for you if you're too much of a busta to make your own PC.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Thinking you can't build a computer is no excuse because putting a computer together is both easy and rewarding. Besides, if you're not a dumb consumer, you'd have already compared different components and know what you're buying. Now you can save 100%, buy GOOD parts because Dell and others use crap parts, and not feel like a complete tool.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

zen death robot posted:

micro center will do it too

I wish I had a Micro Center around where I live. They sound cool, but they have no stores in Indiana.

Then again barely any one has any loving stores in Indiana.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My computer's only a year and a half old and it already feels a little laggardly at some games

pre:
		Operating System
			Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
		CPU
			Intel Core i5 4570 @ 3.20GHz	34 °C
			Haswell 22nm Technology
		RAM
			8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
		Motherboard
			ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. B85M-E (SOCKET 1150)	28 °C
		Graphics
			ASUS VG278 (1920x1080@60Hz)
			2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (PNY)	39 °C
		Storage
			223GB Corsair Force GT (SSD)	29 °C
there's nothing i can easily get a good upgrade out of there, is there

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

You have a gtx 760, so maybe wait a generation or two and grab some ol' 500 dollar vid card and BLAM you're set for another two years until games actually take strides in cpu core performance software.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kazvall posted:

You have a gtx 760, so maybe wait a generation or two and grab some ol' 500 dollar vid card and BLAM you're set for another two years until games actually take strides in cpu core performance software.

not really worth doing yet, huh

my problem is I made the mistake of getting a 120hz monitor (despite what the speccy output says, this is 120hz)

it looks great on poo poo that runs on a toaster like TF2, but ffxiv and other stuff it isn't so hot jumping between 70 and 100 (in fact it's rather more irritating to my eyes than you'd think)

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm getting a GTX 970. I think that'll last me for about 5 years or so.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

not really worth doing yet, huh

my problem is I made the mistake of getting a 120hz monitor (despite what the speccy output says, this is 120hz)

it looks great on poo poo that runs on a toaster like TF2, but ffxiv and other stuff it isn't so hot jumping between 70 and 100 (in fact it's rather more irritating to my eyes than you'd think)

Well, it's like this. The GTX 780 TI has almost twice the performance as your 760 and yet your 760 holds like the top spot in terms of performance for the price.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the best thing to do is to buy one of the stupid cheap pre-built computers with crazy processors and RAM that no one normal would ever use and slap a video card in it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kazvall posted:

Well, it's like this. The GTX 780 TI has almost twice the performance as your 760 and yet your 760 holds like the top spot in terms of performance for the price.

so it's more that I'd be spending $Texas right now for not as much improvement as I'd get if I wait a year or so, in summary?

i guess i knew that but it's hard to resist buying top of the line WRT video cards :(

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm getting a GTX 970. I think that'll last me for about 5 years or so.

its real good, get it

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Bobnumerotres posted:

the best thing to do is to buy one of the stupid cheap pre-built computers with crazy processors and RAM that no one normal would ever use and slap a video card in it

Best GPU you can stick in a pre-built is a 750Ti, unless you're gonna replace the power supply, and at that point you might as well build the whole thing yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
a good one haha

• Locked thread