Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Just gonna do this with inline comments:

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

My big ones for 2015:

- Hit $10k in my emergency fund. I'm at around $3200+ right now. I'll be getting a bonus towards the end of the month + back dated raise which will be going towards it. That'll leave roughly $5000 to go.

Done.

quote:

- Contribute over $5500 to my TSFA. I want to start eating up some of the contribution room I have there.

Not done, unfortunately. Partially because I did a bad job of saving money, but also because I pivoted towards the end of the year and decided to pay off the $2500 remaining on my student loan. On top of that I did get two raises this year, one from my previous company and another from switching jobs.

All and all a... partial success, I guess? I don't feel like I nailed it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Not done, unfortunately. Partially because I did a bad job of saving money, but also because I pivoted towards the end of the year and decided to pay off the $2500 remaining on my student loan. On top of that I did get two raises this year, one from my previous company and another from switching jobs.

All and all a... partial success, I guess? I don't feel like I nailed it though.

Sounds like you nailed it pretty hard. There's nothing wrong with adjusting your goals as things progress, especially the switch was as minor as saving money vs paying a debt off. Hell, depending how you look at it, it's essentially the same thing. Additionally, don't discount getting 2 raises in the same year. In a time where people can go years without seeing any increase in pay, nailing the raise twice is pretty figgin' schweet.

Good job and here's to a prosperous 2016.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Not a Children posted:

I submit that the reward for a sucessful year should be a gang tag and further that it should be this:

I like! Anyone who wants this and feels they deserve it, post in here with

(1) Link to the post with your original goals
(2) Link to the post that tells how you did

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Moneyball posted:

2014 has been a poo poo show for me emotionally and financially. This involves totaling one car, getting dicked around on repairs for a new one (as well as signing a terrible predatory loan from a "we finance everyone!!!" dealer, and roommate issues. In 2015, I plan to limit financial risks and plan every cent I spend as best I can. I think the biggest risk I avoided was not getting into a relationship with a girl with 92k worth of student loans and who also can't afford to make payments on them.

Position to begin 2015:

$6,000ish in retirement savings. $5,500 of it is in a Roth IRA and $500 in traditional
$3,000 in savings.
$2,225 take home pay per month after taxes and deductions. Unfortunately no 401k match by my employer.
$1,025 monthly expenses excluding rent A lot of this is due to weekly (yes) car payments of $90.86.
My lease is up at the end of the year, and I will move back home for a spell before moving into a friend's condo. Doing so unfortunately bumps expenses up to $1,725.00.
No credit card debt
$27,000 in student loan debt. Deferred, accruing interest. Which will actually be going up as I continue taking MBA courses.
Around $10,000 in car debt

Other sources of income: $8,800 in student loan refunds unless I choose to decline them, $4,500.00 tuition reimbursement from work ($1500 from 2014)

The main goal for 2015 is contribute to getting out of the red ($28,000) as far as net worth goes, and I want to do it as efficiently as I can.

1. Work 5 hours overtime a week, use proceeds ($5,000) to almost max out Roth IRA. I was deciding between paying down my student loans and losing a year's worth of IRA contributions, and I can always catch up on loans in the future.
2. Pay down car loan if possible. This is the decision I am most ashamed of- I don't know my current balance, whether or not it's simple interest or built in. And the interest is sky high. If it is indeed built-in, that means there is no financial incentive to pay it off early, right? If there is, however, savings to be made by paying it off early, I'm starting there.
3. Start paying back my student loans, though deferred. Question about these- I could actually probably pay for my MBA classes out of pocket if I really budgeted for it, or at the very least, I could decline the refund since I'm awarded $4100 and only use about $1900. If I can pay off my car early, does it make sense to accept all the student loans at 3-6% interest and use it to pay for the much higher interest car loan? It's kind of like robbing Peter to pay Paul
4. Get a higher paying job. This should be #1, but my current position is very secure. It only pays $17.34/hr though and does not have an employer 401k match.

One more paycheck to go, which should be around $1,300 split between HSA and checking account, but here's how I did:

1. Max out Roth IRA: I don't contribute at the beginning of the year, but the end- 2014 was maxed out. (2015 will be contributed by tax day)
2. Pay down car loan: Sold the lemon car. Went from a 10 year old high mileage luxury car to a 2014 economy car with about $8,800 left.
3. Pay back student loans: $26,700 left. Just paid the minimum/accrued interest
4. I got a second job that pays way more than it should for what I'm doing. It gives me about $1,000 a month to go towards debt repayment.

I sort of just readjusted my situation from last year. Less car/student debt, but some credit card debt and maxed IRA/HSA accounts.

One year, only a $5,000 increase in net worth. Shameful. I've picked up the pace drastically from fall to now, so 2016 is definitely the year that I get out of the red.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

slap me silly posted:

Just to be clear, be sure you also say explicitly that you want it, I won't inflict it on the undesiring innocent no matter your achievements :)

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

slap me silly posted:

Thanks! Guess I'll embrace it since I made it. Original and final are condensed in the quote block.

Not a Children posted:

EOY Update!

Not a Children posted:

posted:
2014 was good, but not great. Gonna see if I can't improve this year.

2015 Goals:
Increase my gross income to $75k. CHECK... if you count tuition reimbursements. Very close otherwise, though!
Add at least $15k to my 401k and max my Roth IRA. CHECK
Somehow decrease my housing expenses, either by moving or otherwise compensating my current landlord in some way. CHECK, though I'm already looking for a new place to live now that my office moved downtown
Maintain a girlfriend without driving her nuts with frugality. NOT CHECK, but for reasons unrelated to finance!
Maintain good grades in school; B or higher gets me back 100% of tuition costs! CHECKAPALOOZA ON THIS ONE

edit: This is a stretch goal, but add $10k or more to savings. I'll be mentally and financially ready for a house purchase by 2017, I think. CHECK!

2015 was an easy success. I'm going to try to make my next set of goals a bit more ambitious. On to 2016!

And if it's not too much trouble, could you change my av text to "Pffft, what do squids know about spending money?" while you're knocking around in there?

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

slap me silly posted:

I like it and I'll take it!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687865&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=10#post453285404

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

slap me silly posted:

Sweet. I like it and want it.

Original post:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687865&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post439091582

November update when it was all completed:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687865&userid=88303#post453310023

December final update saying I'm done:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687865&userid=88303#post453946755

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

slap me silly posted:

I want it.

1. Original goals
2. Almost done

20K liquid and tracking cash. IRA is fully funded off screen.

And this screen makes me feel good about myself

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Not a Children posted:

Thanks! Guess I'll embrace it since I made it.

TouchyMcFeely posted:

I like it and I'll take it!

Sundae posted:

Sweet. I like it and want it.

Queued, holler at me if anything looks weird once they kick in. Keep 'em coming!!

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Oh man, I want that gang tag so bad. That's badass. Oh well, glad I at least set some goals up for 2016.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

slap me silly posted:

YES! I want it!

Original
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687865&userid=151049#post439420460

The final update (which I guess has the original anyway, but I don't want to miss out on such a sweet tag)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687865&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post454022171

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

balancedbias posted:

YES! I want it!

Queued!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dead Pressed posted:

Oh man, I want that gang tag so bad. That's badass. Oh well, glad I at least set some goals up for 2016.

Pity tag since you started the 2016 thread! Queued

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I deserve like half the tag since I accomplished half my 2015 goals

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Omne posted:

I deserve like half the tag since I accomplished half my 2015 goals

Dude, you got married AND bought a house. :cheeky:

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Goals in progress:

Continue paying an extra $100/mo on my car loan, at least until I move. Replaced with:
July: $325 on car loan. August - September: $300/mo. October: $400. November & December: $550. This would bring my average back up to $400/mo for the year. :) (Min. payment is $299.)
Progress: $325 paid in July, August, and September. $425 for October. $530 in November and December. Fell short by $15, total. Shucks.

Get my $6k of student loans forgiven.
Progress: After 6 months of back and forth, this is DONE! Happy dance. No student loan debt. :)

Have a positive net worth for each month in 2015.
Progress: Negatory for September. Paid my October 1st tuition, which is more than I make in a month. But I paid in cash so yay! Every other month saw positive growth.

No credit card debt!
Progress: Accomplished!

Take on no student loans!
Progress: Done! Paid my October tuition in cash.

Completed Goals:

Save up enough to cover moving costs (I have $1k so far) without dipping into the e-fund.
Save up enough for a couch and bed frame, as I don't want to take mine.

All and all, not bad. Gang tag please!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

spinst posted:

All and all, not bad. Gang tag please!

In progress!

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

slap me silly posted:

Dude, you got married AND bought a house. :cheeky:

Good point! I'll take it then

Original: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687865&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post438962186
Final: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687865&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post453836663

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Omne posted:

Good point! I'll take it then

Hahaha, my point was the opposite, getting married and buying houses are probably the two biggest BFC sins. But I guess doing it without destroying your net worth is a pretty solid accomplishment :D Title change queued!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

slap me silly posted:

Me me me!
I'm phone posting, but my last post has a link to my first post here. Any dropped numbers were accomplished except for the budgeting one, which I cancelled: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687865&pagenumber=11&perpage=40#post453953123

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Coming your way!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I'm looking forward to receiving next year's version after I rock 2016 :toot:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Goals for 2015:
1 Bump income up to $108,000 (work is commission-based with "tiers" of income at $90,000, $108,000, $120,000, etc.)
2 Get $23,500 into tax deferred/exempt accounts
3 Sell condo, buy ~$400,000 house (I WILL REGRET THIS - WHY WOULD I WANT HIGHER EXPENSES)
4 Resist the temptation to replace my 2003 Volvo "because I deserve to" - This has been a close call for the past 2 years
5 Get savings up to $25,000, or $40,000 if I don't buy a new house

Semi-monetary goal: The GF and I have 4 cats since we Brady Bunch'd my 2 and her 2 this past year. I really do think we need to rehome 2 :( Our house is a gross cat house.

1- Success
2 - Success
3 - Success in that I avoided doing it. That would have been stupid.
4 - Car was totaled (while parked) and I got a great insurance payout, so success?
5 - Successssssssss

Some of our cats died for no reason, so success on the bonus too.

Gimme that Homer Simpson 401k badge pleeeease

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Queued. Hmm, wonder if BFC needs a Gross Cat House award

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

slap me silly posted:

Queued. Hmm, wonder if BFC needs a Gross Cat House award

Paging

Please come on down and accept your award

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

app posted:

2015 Goals:
- $36K into two 401ks
- Lose ability to contribute to a Roth IRA
- $20k into eventual house down payment fund
- $6k to max out family HSA
- Cross $650k in total savings (retirement and non-tax advantaged) - currently at $575k
- Increase gross income from $205k to at least $235k via raise or new job

This thread certainly motivated me and kept me honest. Signed up for 2016 goals due to the success of this thread!

- $36K into two 401ks
Maxed to the federal limit

- Lose ability to contribute to a Roth IRA
See the very last point point

- $20k into eventual house down payment fund
Boom - $25 k

- $6k to max out family HSA
Contributed the max through payroll to reduce tax burden

- Cross $650k in total savings (retirement and non-tax advantaged) - currently at $575k
Well somehow we blew this away and ended at $701k. The market was slightly negative so it was almost all pure savings. On a gross income of $245k we spent $70k in taxes, $50k on all spending, and saved the remaining $125k :w00t:

- Increase gross income from $205k to at least $235k via raise or new job
Changed jobs and ended up at $245k gross household income!.

Sign me up for the gang tag!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

app posted:

Sign me up for the gang tag!

Incoming!

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

moana posted:

Do Sliding Sands down and the switchbacks up, it's much nicer. Are you staying in the crater at the switchbacks cabin or somewhere else?

Here's my copy paste for Maui:

If you're anywhere near Lahaina, both of the ends of town have cheap dinner options. Spanky's bar is a fun sports bar at the 505. On the other end of town, a new pizza place just opened up and has ocean views with super cheap good pizza. Thai Chef is cheap and BYOB, so hit up Foodland for a bottle of wine before going there. Star Noodle is another good option. If you want fancy and more expensive, Mala's is good if crowded. Pacific'o is probably the best expensive dining on that side of the island.

For snorkeling, Airport beach is always awesome. I think the real name is Kahekili beach but everyone knows it as airport beach. Black Rock at Kaanapali is also good snorkeling. If you want to swim with turtles, there are always a couple around at the bay here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...2abf1fa9ee6c9f8
Or if not, they're just over at Napili bay, one bay to the right. They are big and old and very friendly. You can park on the street and walk through the Honolua condos to get to the bay. The best access point is on the right of the bay if you're looking out to the water. You go over some bushes/caution tape and can enter down on the rocks. A bit tough but totally worth it.

Little beach is the best for boogieboarding and smoking weed, it's also the naked beach so be forewarned!

Funny enough, I did most of these on my own without really reading this until after I got back, minus the weed and snorkling. Magic!

Did the crater like you suggested, stayed by Lahina at a fancy B&B called Ho'olio house, did the Thai Chef (but with no booze). Hell, Pacific'o was fantastic.

I guess my year end check-in isn't really any different from my previous post.

I'm down to ~4k in cc debt, paying down 3-500 a month, depending on how much I do in travel/if it is a 3 paycheck month. Failed overall goals, but the learning experience is something. Not too worried, since I know the major expenses is just that of keeping up a condo in Dallas, a rental in Augusta, and living apart while married with all that bullshit involved. I'll leave it to the person behind the tag if you think I deserve the sweet gang tag.

Do never live apart. Hoo boy.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

BossRighteous posted:

I'll start things off with some current figures:
Currently at a revolving debt load of $-12k (all credit cards)
Yearly post tax income of $39k for 2 people (married)

2015 Goals:

1) Pay off 2 credit cards @ $4.4k and an additional $2k in the final card (remainder of 8k)
Down to $5k balance. I was really hoping our bonus checks would come in, by EOY. But when they do we'll be debt free except for the house!
Also I don't know what I was smoking on those balances but our high water mark for the year was -$17.2k. So we actually paid off over $12k this year! Boom!

EDIT: Bonus #1 is slated to get here on the 31st, with a post tax estimate of $1850. Gonna push that card down to $3k for $14k of debt repayment :D

2) Save an additional $5.8k for a $7k savings total
We've been keeping a 3k balance until the cards get sorted since our monthly expenses are pretty static.

3) Release (now partially) completed Android game
4) Take on $7k in additional freelance web development clients

Both of these became moot points. They were both goals when I was working part time. In April I took on a killer new full time job. Our income went from around ~$48k/y to $120k/y so that trumps any of that nonsense.

5) Don't spend any money in a casino unless it's on drinks with free music
We play Bingo every week. It scratches my gambling and music itch and it's a fixed cost at $40 for the both of us. I'm cool with that. Also we have a Vegas trip planned for Feb. and not only will we be debt free for it, but we have been funneling weekly cash into envelopes for it. This is the first trip we've actually meaningfully budgeted for! Vegas is my thing and it'll be nice to be paying in cash!

Other figures:
$22k in various retirement accounts
$39k in home equity (just shy of 19%)
$18k in paid off vehicles

I'm ecstatic on how well we are doing under 30! The goals shifted but I feel that's fine in light of all the positive changes.

Gimme that gang tag please!

root of all eval fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 29, 2015

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

BossRighteous posted:

3) Release (now partially) completed Android game
4) Take on $7k in additional freelance web development clients

Both of these became moot points. They were both goals when I was working part time. In April I took on a killer new full time job. Our income went from around ~$48k/y to $120k/y so that trumps any of that nonsense.

Wow, that's a huge jump, congratulations! At that rate I'd say you get an easy pass on the Bingo as well, and Vegas definitely seems more reasonable.

I lost $100 myself at WinStar on Saturday, but that's what hard cash limits are for. I started with 4 straight roulette busts and was never even close to my starting money after that. My cousin lost more than twice that... neither of which is nearly as good as the time I won $250+ in slots within 10 minutes of walking in. :(

On the whole I think I'm barely at even zero or just slightly negative now for lifetime gambling/lottery/scratch off losses. That'll probably get worse quickly as I started a $5-7 /month scratch off and lottery regular expense for funsies back in September. Maybe it's good that we only have one very remote casino in Texas.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

SpelledBackwards posted:

Wow, that's a huge jump, congratulations! At that rate I'd say you get an easy pass on the Bingo as well, and Vegas definitely seems more reasonable.

I lost $100 myself at WinStar on Saturday, but that's what hard cash limits are for.

Last week at bingo I was one number away from a $1000 blackout bonus game and my number was literally the next number in the hopper. All he had to do was say it :argh: but someone else called bingo on the previous number right at the last second.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=439013450

2015 Concrete Goals:
- Pay off remaining $6,850 on my private student loans in 6-8 months instead of my currently projected 13. DONE
- Do not break my 18 month streak of increasing my total net worth every month DONE
- Obtain a net worth of at least $0 including retirement accounts. (Currently -$15,530) DONE, ~$8k
- End 2015 with at least $15k liquid assets. DONE, ~$19k but will soon vanish...

2015 Fuzzy Goals:
- Maintain emergency fund and various reasonable savings goals I am already allocating money to. DONE
- Fund Roth IRA OR begin over-payment on Federal student loans. I don't think I can feasibly do both. PARTIALLY DONE, started overpaying but stopped to achieve next goal
- Save up and move out of my uncle's house. Complicated because this involves some life decisions I haven't made yet. DONE, waiting on house to close, should be moving in by the end of Jan
- Save up and go on vacation to finally visit my brother in California, because I have been intending to for seven years and it's about drat time I actually do it. NOT DONE, scheduling issues, it'll happen next year probably.
- Find additional sources of income. NOT DONE, :shrug:

I don't want the gang tag but do me a huge solid and give it to Veskit instead so I can dunk on him,

:laffo:

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 29, 2015

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

goals:
- convince boss to let me go 100% remote so we can move together
- cut back to a 1 car household (stretch goal: go carless)
- save up to a total of 30k in liquid cash -- 10k emergency fund, 20k to pay for his education (stretch goal: 15k emergency fund)
- max out my 401k and 2 IRAs (stretch goal: also max our HSAs)

I'm pretty pleased with myself :)

- convince boss to let me go 100% remote so we can move together
Now working remotely in the city we hoped to move to, while my husband goes to school. Check!

- cut back to a 1 car household (stretch goal: go carless)
Sold both our cars, no regrets, buses are kinda awesome. Transportation budget is a fraction of what it used to be, and we spend more time reading. Check!

- save up to a total of 30k in liquid cash -- 10k emergency fund, 20k to pay for his education (stretch goal: 15k emergency fund)
Hit 42k in savings, with 22k of that actually being needed for school, and the remaining 20k in an emergency fund. Check!

- max out my 401k and 2 IRAs (stretch goal: also max our HSAs)
Done! I worked on the stretch goal by making substantial contributions to our HSAs, but couldn't max them. Check!

slap me silly posted:

Can I have one? :D

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

quote:

Financial 2015 Goals:

- Max out IRAs (myself and wife) for 2014 and 2015 tax years and 401k for 2015
Basically Yes: Maxed out IRAs for myself and wife for 2014 tax year, maxed out conventional 401k contributions, and somewhat unexpectedly also after-tax 401k contributions (started this in September and my paychecks have been tiny since). Won't be able to max out 2015 IRAs until 2016, oh well, next year I'll do 'em all, I still contributed more to retirement accounts this year than anticipated.

quote:

- Net worth to $160,000 (currently around 110,000 I think)
Yes: I think I reached this around early summer and then stalled due to, well, spending. First a trip to Europe, after that just misc. stuff that we need to get a better grip on. Still, we're up a little over 160k.

quote:

- Get a decent number of points to travel around on via churning
Nope :(. Keep meaning to do this but whenever I research seems like there's no straightforward way to do manufactured spending. But, even our regular CC spending is high enough to where we could get a fair number of points, so I guess that's not really a good excuse.

quote:

Non-financial 2015 Goals:

- Win more games of Starcraft in the inter-corporate gaming league I play in than I did last season (3).
Yes, won 4 games. I also lost like 4 or 5 games but that wasn't part of my goal! :)

quote:

- Set new personal records for bench 1rm and mile run on my 30th birthday in November (aiming for 125% of body weight and < 6:30 respectively)
Nope, never got around to it. Someday!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

me posted:

My goals really took a turn the last couple weeks for next year. I hope to have some time to revisit them in a few weeks but generally here they are:

1) Get divorced (lovely goal right there...)
2) In divorce make sure we both come out of it financially sound (should be doable but we need to sit down and work at untangling our finances)
3) Do not sell the house until spring 2016 (this will help out the ex a tremendous amount)
4) Get a roommate to help defer costs (plenty of house for this person)
5) Pay off my student loan (I had been concentrating on the wife's up until now)
6) Pay off my car (stretch goal)

Not what I would have wrote at all about a month ago...oh well.

spwrozek posted:

1) Done
2) Good enough
3) Roommate, either selling, or being bought out next summer. Good stuff.
4) Roommate is cool.
5) Not going to happen due to divorce agreements but I am down to $25k maybe a year to go
6) Maybe next year.

Nothing will change for the end of the year. Working on real financial goals for next year.

I do have a great girlfriend so mark that as a win.

I would like the sweet new tag but not sure I totally deserve it. Divorce went well which is good. Came out financially OK for both of us also good. Haven't sold the house and am most likely going to be bought out near the middle of next year. The roommate thing has been great, an additional $6,750 this year of income. The last two goals were the real money ones and due to the divorce they didn't happen but I pay off a total of $29,896 in debt in 2015. I am pretty happy with that.

So I leave it up to you slap me silly.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I feel the same way about how I finished the year. Progress, but not enough progress. I could use a new tag to liven up my profile a bit. :allears:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Cicero posted:

Yes, won 4 games. I also lost like 4 or 5 games but that wasn't part of my goal! :)

Way to go. I wish I could've followed along this season since my coworkers (National Instruments) did so well last season, but there was no fanfare around this one and practically no games were casted. I only have WoL, so I don't think I could have even played the replays if I'd wanted to. Lame.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

SpelledBackwards posted:

Way to go. I wish I could've followed along this season since my coworkers (National Instruments) did so well last season, but there was no fanfare around this one and practically no games were casted.
Previous hype levels unsustainable for what they're doing, really. It's too bad there's no AHGL this next year.

Also I beat NI's NightFury in our match so neener-neener. ;)

quote:

I only have WoL, so I don't think I could have even played the replays if I'd wanted to. Lame.
LotV is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

End of year update!

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

Reduce dining out spending to $150 every paycheck (two weeks). Based on my Quicken categories for last year, this will reduce my dining out expenses by about $1300 for the year, depending on how much I travel for work.* Of course, my actual savings will be somewhat less than that since my grocery bills should rise.

* Restaurant spending when I'm on work trips (and thus on per diem) won't count against this goal, so it should be pretty easy on pay periods where I'm travelling. In theory I should prorate the amount by the number of nights I'm home in a pay period, but I'll keep it simple this year.

Success, sort of.

When setting this goal, I didn't take into consideration all of the November/December people visiting from out of town for the holidays, which really jumped up my restaurant spending at the end of the year. However, I was enough below my goal for enough weeks that my average is still $137.12. I'm counting it as a victory, but I'm taking the lesson that I need to be more specific in my future goals as to whether average counts.

Finish paying off my student loan by the end of June. I owe about $5K (down from $89K!), and I've been throwing about $1000 per month at it (after maxing out my employer 5% 401(k) match and my Roth IRA) for the past few years, so this wouldn't be too challenging -- except that my old paid-off truck got to the point where I'd had it in the shop six times in two months, so I ended up buying a car last October, and I have a car payment again. Fortunately, literally doubling my fuel efficiency has offset the car payment somewhat, but it's brought down what I can contribute to the loan a little. At least both the student loan and car payment are under 3% interest, and I have no other debt.

Success!

Save up enough for an overseas vacation by the end of the year. My sister just moved to Germany last month, and I'd like to take her up on her invitation to come stay with her for a couple weeks. Given the schedule of the project I'm on at work, I probably won't be able to actually take two weeks off until early 2016, but I'd like to have the money saved up by the end of this year. Back of the envelope calculations tell me I'll need to save about $3250 (no lodging expense, but a lot of margin for error built in for the other expenses). Hopefully I'll be able to cut that down by cashing in some frequent flier miles, but I'd rather save too much and be pleasantly surprised, so $3250 seems a reasonable goal. If I can get the student loan paid off by June, I figure I can immediately start throwing the amount I was putting toward it into a savings account; anything left over will likely go to extra payments on the car.

Success! Saving for a vacation is much, much easier without that student loan.

And yes, I'd be interested in getting that tag!

• Locked thread