Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Holy howling hell, 39k for post tax income? Impressive. *Edit* I thought that was per month. Oops.

my goals:
Pay for wedding ~5k (her parents insisted on paying a huge chunk of it)
Pay off credit cards: ~5.4k (should be a lot less after I get my move reimbursement)
save up for another car ~5k
Pay down student loans ~20k
start retirement account (grad school sucks for that, and I've only just got a good paying job)

Income:
3.9k per month
Expenses:
2k per month (rent, utilities, food, fiancee's utilities)

Hope to get some side cash from doing after hours work for a startup, fixing up the place for my landlord for rent considerations, plus possibly renting out my place during the Masters golf tournament.

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Claverjoe posted:

Holy howling hell, 39k for post tax income? Impressive. *Edit* I thought that was per month. Oops.

my goals:
Pay off credit cards: ~5.4k (should be a lot less after I get my move reimbursement)
start retirement account (grad school sucks for that, and I've only just got a good paying job)

Income:
3.9k per month
Expenses:

Hope to get some side cash from doing after hours work for a startup, fixing up the place for my landlord for rent considerations, plus possibly renting out my place during the Masters golf tournament.

So, check in:

Wedding: Paid for! Fun was had by all!
Credit cards: Roughly about the same. drat wedding expenses, especially when we insist on taking care of the unexpected stuff.
Car situation: Well, I got a new car way ahead of schedule (transmission was going in my old car, did a trade-in and purchase, thank god the rate is 2% simple on a 19k note, car should be good for a decade, as I got a well rated hybrid car)
Student loans: On top of it
Retirement account: Prioritizing the credit cards, since returns aren't going to be equal to cards.

Not where I want to be, but traveling between here and Dallas (where my wife is in med school) is not cheap. Its about $300 a trip, when flight/airport parking/gas/fun stuff is accounted for. Hopefully when she comes over for the summer I can work more on the savings of things. Praise the dark lord Ross Perot who makes her MD/Phd. program free with a small $25kish stipend so we aren't royally screwed with debt.

Expect to have the credit cards paid off by the end of the year. Maybe 1-2k to toss into a vanguard account if I stick with being frugal. I want to do that to my 2nd bonus paycheck month. I get paid biweekly, and my first month with an extra paycheck will go towards credit card reduction, and hopefully the 2nd one will be used for eliminating the rest of the CC debt/kick starting a Roth IRA.

Startup is probably a no-go for now, landlord is on board with me on the whole "rehab house for some rent off" stuff. Also have permission to do AirBnB stuff with his place, just obey the 10 day limit. Sadly, the place won't be ready for this year's Master's Tournament, so no renting out my place for a week to get a 4k boost this year. Next year though it'll be ready.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Claverjoe posted:

my goals:

Income:
3.9k per month
Expenses:

So, overall, I did "ok," but definitely not anywhere near "good".

Still have 4k in credit card debt
Got a new car, but at least it isn't a deathtrap.
Student loans are ~16k now.
No retirement account (nooo!)

Living 1000 miles away from your spouse sucks, and flights are expensive. On the positive side, long term, she graduates with no med school debt (hooray MD/PhD.), and I'll be saving an extra $600 a month in travel related expenses come this time next fall when she moves to where I am to do interviews for residency and the occasional visiting rotation. Flights, dinners out when I see her, and buying groceries for a wife who works 14-18 hour days all add up to a hell of a lot. At least I have cash for an emergency and to cover our honeymoon expenses this December.

Oh well, it's all looking up in the long term, just gotta tread water and pay down credit car debt as I can. New goal is to start tossing in that $600 a month travel costs into savings when she moves here. Good god, living apart from your spouse is expensive. That's my lesson from this year.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

pig slut lisa posted:

I hear you on this, and I haven't even had to live it. My wife is finishing up a PhD here in town and for awhile it was looking like she was going to do a two year postdoc elsewhere. I really like my job and the postdoc location was not going to be a long term settling spot for us, so we were preparing to do the long distance thing for awhile. No flights would have been involved (4 hour drive instead) but I was looking at the potential budget hit and not pleased with what I saw.

Fortunately she ended up getting a job with a federal agency locally, so she'll be starting that in May/June. We can both keep biking/busing to work and saving a ton.

Where are you going for your honeymoon?

Maui, gonna hike that crater, spend some time in a cabin and go stargazing in a (hopefully) clear sky, then go be the stereotypical Hawaiian tourists and do beach-y stuff. Very excited, just got back getting some quality hiking boots. They are really nice and all, but $150 per pair ain't cheap. It is probably cheaper than the park rangers doing an extraction of a dumbass getting a rolled ankle, however.

Congrats on not doing long distance marriage. It's no fun when flirting consists of "Hey baby, do you have a weekend free next month, I can buy some plane tickets".

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 28, 2015

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

moana posted:

Do Sliding Sands down and the switchbacks up, it's much nicer. Are you staying in the crater at the switchbacks cabin or somewhere else?

Here's my copy paste for Maui:

If you're anywhere near Lahaina, both of the ends of town have cheap dinner options. Spanky's bar is a fun sports bar at the 505. On the other end of town, a new pizza place just opened up and has ocean views with super cheap good pizza. Thai Chef is cheap and BYOB, so hit up Foodland for a bottle of wine before going there. Star Noodle is another good option. If you want fancy and more expensive, Mala's is good if crowded. Pacific'o is probably the best expensive dining on that side of the island.

For snorkeling, Airport beach is always awesome. I think the real name is Kahekili beach but everyone knows it as airport beach. Black Rock at Kaanapali is also good snorkeling. If you want to swim with turtles, there are always a couple around at the bay here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...2abf1fa9ee6c9f8
Or if not, they're just over at Napili bay, one bay to the right. They are big and old and very friendly. You can park on the street and walk through the Honolua condos to get to the bay. The best access point is on the right of the bay if you're looking out to the water. You go over some bushes/caution tape and can enter down on the rocks. A bit tough but totally worth it.

Little beach is the best for boogieboarding and smoking weed, it's also the naked beach so be forewarned!

Funny enough, I did most of these on my own without really reading this until after I got back, minus the weed and snorkling. Magic!

Did the crater like you suggested, stayed by Lahina at a fancy B&B called Ho'olio house, did the Thai Chef (but with no booze). Hell, Pacific'o was fantastic.

I guess my year end check-in isn't really any different from my previous post.

I'm down to ~4k in cc debt, paying down 3-500 a month, depending on how much I do in travel/if it is a 3 paycheck month. Failed overall goals, but the learning experience is something. Not too worried, since I know the major expenses is just that of keeping up a condo in Dallas, a rental in Augusta, and living apart while married with all that bullshit involved. I'll leave it to the person behind the tag if you think I deserve the sweet gang tag.

Do never live apart. Hoo boy.

• Locked thread