Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
oldgame chat

i finally got around to powering thru the last couple levels of system shock 1 and dang, its real good. i mean its dated as all get out and there are some frankly bizarre design decisions but that kind of adds to the charm. the hacker feels like a jelly-man on roller skates but you get all sorts of versatility in how you can move and interact with the environment. it does get pretty silly when you start using the late game automatic weapons and the kickback from extended bursts ends up kind of pushing you backwards until it looks like youre firing while lying on your back though.

bad things: the last level has a maze that is full of respawning suicide droids, which is complete bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

it's

i like 2 better though

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
I don't think I've played SS1 since I beat it back in the 90s. Is it worth going through again if you already know the plot and all that jazz?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

paranoid randroid posted:

oldgame chat

i finally got around to powering thru the last couple levels of system shock 1 and dang, its real good. i mean its dated as all get out and there are some frankly bizarre design decisions but that kind of adds to the charm. the hacker feels like a jelly-man on roller skates but you get all sorts of versatility in how you can move and interact with the environment. it does get pretty silly when you start using the late game automatic weapons and the kickback from extended bursts ends up kind of pushing you backwards until it looks like youre firing while lying on your back though.

bad things: the last level has a maze that is full of respawning suicide droids, which is complete bullshit

Find your shift key dumbass. User loses posting privileges for 6 years.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Frank Horrigan posted:

I don't think I've played SS1 since I beat it back in the 90s. Is it worth going through again if you already know the plot and all that jazz?

maybe? i found it pretty fun despite it being awkward to do just about anything. if youve already had the "experience" of playing it lurching keyboard style its probably worthwhile to pick up the mouselook modded version

e. ss2 is deffo better to play than ss1, but ss1 is in a weird place with its game design where the bad parts are almost interesting. like theres UI elements that were added with the intent of letting you play entirely with the mouse. why you would want to do that, i have no idea.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 14, 2014

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Pewdiepie posted:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Pewdiepie posted:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Hmm, sorry, not sure what that is OP. Never seen it on Spookin' with Scoops.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Hmm, sorry, not sure what that is OP. Never seen it on Spookin' with Scoops.

lmso

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

I liked the cyberspace parts.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

We miss you Looking Glass

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Pewdiepie posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

liquid courage posted:

I liked the cyberspace parts.

I have heard that you can accidentally put yourself in an unwinnable situation by loving up in cyberspace too frequently, on account of your time limit decreasing by a few seconds every time you get kicked out. I don't know if this is true or not, the penalty didn't seem noticeable. Maybe if you are a crazy person that plays with all the difficulty sliders set to max.

• Locked thread