Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Gradius 3 for the SNES was baller as gently caress. I owned it for a couple months before actually playing it though, because I thought the white grid on startup was an error that meant the cartridge was bad. Anyway this thread is about games that take place in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

I hated mass effect

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
The first one had a cool story, and the conversation with Sovereign was a pretty awesome reveal. Plus walking along the outside of the Citadel while he just loving looms over you was great. Gameplay sucked poo poo though.

Freelancer is a good space game, by the way.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

space station 13 is far and byond the best multiplayer crew spaceship simulator that has ever graced god's green console

I have been waiting years for something comparable to come out, to no avail.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
I actually played that for the first time the other night. I joined the server, and was immediately greeted by a bunch of people covered in blood running around and screaming. One guy was on fire. :allears:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Frank Horrigan posted:

I actually played that for the first time the other night. I joined the server, and was immediately greeted by a bunch of people covered in blood running around and screaming. One guy was on fire. :allears:

I have to say it has quite a high learning curve. The fun goes up exponentially the more you discover about the game. Each round is entirely unique. One round you might ask the robotics dude to take your brain out to put it into a cyborg and instead he'll cut off your rear end, to wear as a hat, and just flush your body down the garbage disposal. Another round you might be the botanist, create the perfect strain of weed, only to succumb to cosby disease; blissful sweater, catchphrases and all. It encourages you to roleplay your rear end off because ultimately it's a huge sandbox where every single thing can be hosed with by another thing with interesting objectives giving a feeling of haste and fear to each encounter with another person.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

depending on who you're playing with too sometimes people can be a lot of fun in space station 13. Horrigan you looking for scifi stuff that required space at one point like Red Faction or just straight out space?

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
gently caress you for making me go play SS13 in the middle of the day.

Also, X: Rebirth is pretty bad. X2 still the best X, I guess.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Frank Horrigan posted:

gently caress you for making me go play SS13 in the middle of the day.

Also, X: Rebirth is pretty bad. X2 still the best X, I guess.

It was pretty I guess too bad there isn't much under the surface

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

BERGfu posted:

Horrigan you looking for scifi stuff that required space at one point like Red Faction or just straight out space?

If you're not on Earth or an Earth-like planet at any point in the game, it's cool with me. Red Faction is very much welcome, that game was loving awesome.

BERGfu posted:

It was pretty I guess too bad there isn't much under the surface

Shut up, Betty.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Re: SS13 talk: Some guy stabbed me to death 90 seconds after I joined the round. GG

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Frank Horrigan posted:

Re: SS13 talk: Some guy stabbed me to death 90 seconds after I joined the round. GG

that human being traitor george mellons!

it's always best to just play gently caress gently caress if you come in late to a game, if you can't find the head of personnel to give you a real job, and then start fresh on a new round with one of the jobs you want

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
lego star wars. was good.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Does anyone have Mars Colony: Challenger that could tell me if it's fun with friends or not?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
if it's like moonbase alpha, it's good.
if it isn't like moonbase alpha, it might be good, but it might not.

hope that helps you. in your quest.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

hello, frank

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Sleepy Owl posted:

hello, frank

:wave:

I was the AI this round, and somebody added a law saying that I had to narrate everything like a noir film. It went well, some engineer ended up dragging me to the escape shuttle.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That take on Mars got a multiplayer survival update could be interesting.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I want to play Space Station 13 but I can barely figure out how to do even the most basic poo poo in that game. When are they gonna finish the new engine so that human beings can play it

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Rimworld is pretty fun for being DF-lite in space.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Finster Dexter posted:

Rimworld is pretty fun for being DF-lite in space.

Rimworld is fun as hell. PROTIP: Amputate prisoners' legs to prevent escapes :eng101:

Is that Starsector?

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

elite dangerous comes out tomorrow

okay cya

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a guy recreating the SS13 station in Space Engineers. Which is a cool space game by itself imo.

/\/\ op is all over that lol

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Frank Horrigan posted:

Is that Starsector?

ye

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

AE-35 Unit posted:

elite dangerous comes out tomorrow

okay cya

Acquire Currency! posted:

/\/\ op is all over that lol

:unsmigghh:

e: I have like... 200 hours in that game already. It's alright :reject:

Frank Horrigan fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 16, 2014

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
yea starsector's combat is mad fun. the game is prob never going to get finished but whatever.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
It looks pretty slick, but I don't know about dropping money on it just yet. Maybe I'll watch a few youtube videos first.

Anyway, let's talk Kerbal Space Program. That game is gangsta as gently caress.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

Frank Horrigan posted:

:wave:

I was the AI this round, and somebody added a law saying that I had to narrate everything like a noir film. It went well, some engineer ended up dragging me to the escape shuttle.

Hey cool I used to do that noir thing as the detective a few years ago. I think my BYOND name was Skintag.

Had some good times on donut station, made a lot of bombs, got banned a lot.
My favorite ss13 trick was to steal the teleporter, throw a radio transponder into a welded shut locker. Then I would just run around making portals and pulling people into them. they would be stuck in the locker for the rest of the round unless someone found them.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZwRD3zqR1E

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Pookum posted:

Hey cool I used to do that noir thing as the detective a few years ago. I think my BYOND name was Skintag.

My favorite ss13 trick was to steal the teleporter, throw a radio transponder into a welded shut locker. Then I would just run around making portals and pulling people into them. they would be stuck in the locker for the rest of the round unless someone found them.

This is the kind of poo poo I really want to get up to in SS13, but I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to put water into a mop bucket so I guess I'm just too retarded for that game. I'm Stankfanger in BYOND, character name is usually Cuck Rodgers.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Pookum posted:

I used to take pictures of the clown banana peel when he placed it on the ground. I would then place the picture over it. I swear to god people had to walk over it. Each time they did they'd slip on the ground and I could properly interrogate them.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Frank Horrigan posted:

This is the kind of poo poo I really want to get up to in SS13, but I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to put water into a mop bucket so I guess I'm just too retarded for that game. I'm Stankfanger in BYOND, character name is usually Cuck Rodgers.

Pleased to meet you Cuck Rodgers. The name's Biff Sizzlechest.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

Kazvall posted:

I used to take pictures of the clown banana peel when he placed it on the ground. I would then place the picture over it. I swear to god people had to walk over it. Each time they did they'd slip on the ground and I could properly interrogate them.

Haha sometimes stuff like this has made me so mad. Nothing worse than being on the evil read guy swat team, armed to the loving teeth with lasers, and then slipping on a hidden peel or wet floor while an assistant bashes your head in with a fire extinguisher.

I know you mean Frank, the game is a little obtuse and took me forever to learn, its mainly why I havent got back into it, so much has changed and been added in that I dont know how to play anymore.

Pookum fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 16, 2014

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I would always put up wet floor signs when washing the floor in the most populated part of the station(as janitor). That way you redshirts had no loving excuse to taze me and take my slip proof boots.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I just started playing again. I found someone raising space bees, I smacked one and got stung by a whole swarm and ran away until the allergic reaction knocked me out, now someone dragged me to medbay and is injecting me with charcoal lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Frank Horrigan posted:

It looks pretty slick, but I don't know about dropping money on it just yet. Maybe I'll watch a few youtube videos first.

Anyway, let's talk Kerbal Space Program. That game is gangsta as gently caress.

The update to career in today's 0.90, holy fuckity moly

Not even patched bloody loving conics until I get 140k kerbucks :stonk:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Strike Suit Zero and Strike Suit Infinity are rad space games. So is the Homeworld series. And I remember Startopia being pretty good, too.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

star control 2 and solar winds, friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
drat I need to update KSP, my version is like .32 or something. How is the money management?

• Locked thread