Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://imgur.com/gallery/tFPYV

It looks like this one without people standing in front of it

This is actually a car for the wife. All of the decisions we made to buy this are practical.

Subaru: We are a Subaru family. When I used to turn wrenches for a living instead of turning the throttle on a locomotive, I was impressed by the simplicity of much of the engineering, and the ease of larger jobs like clutches and smaller front of engine jobs. Sure they idiotically still use massive belts to time the engines but, I can live with that. I have been hearing more and more people talking about head gaskets. I am guessing this is a newer thing I will just have to live with.We live 30 miles from everywhere, in the mountains of Wyoming, at 8000'. To say it snows here is an understatement. If you want to see average snowfall numbers you will have to look at nearby Virginia Dale, CO or Buford, WY. Everything we drive is either AWD or 4WD. I can't afford to drive my truck every day of the year, nor can my wife. So there a huge economic angle as well.

Forester: My wife already had a 2009 Outback. It was the last of the Impreza bodied Outbacks, it was built at the factory in Indiana. I have liked the car. The 2009 was a manual that we picked up with only 300 miles after someone returned it to our dealer for superficial reasons. With 1/3 the price of the car lost when the owner drove it off the lot, the timing for the purchase was just perfect. She has loved the car these 6 years. My wife and I are both over 6 feet tall and we found the leg space to be a little cramped in the Outback on long road trips. This new 2015 Forester has nearly as much room in the driver's seat and behind the driver's seat as the GM Suburbans I ride in at work. We had actually considered the Crosstrek (yeah, I know), but once we put our large frames into the Forester for a test drive, it was obvious that this would be our next car. The seats are nice and high. I am a bit unsure that driving it a bit too hard out of the corners wouldn't result in a rollover on pavement, even with the stability on. It is pretty grippy though, but I could never jackass around in it the way I can our old outback.

Touring: We test drove one with the leather, and after having the cloth interior in our Outback, we both liked the leather. She really liked the panoramic moonroof. As a car guy all I can say is, "Do you want leaks? Because this is how you get leaks." I guess the only saving grace is that although we get snow, Wyoming has a dry climate. Sure we get summer torrential rains, but the frequency and general humidity is actually pretty low. Oh well, marriages are about compromise and I pretty much lost this one.

Automatic: The wife was in a bad accident as a teen. Her knees are shot. She is probably going to have surgery on them once again. She begged me to get the automatic, and I relented out of mercy. As a former transmission guy, I have to tell you that I was extremely weary about the CVT transmission. So weary that when the CVT transmissions came out a few years ago I wrote to complain to the president of Subaru of America. I felt that attempting to recreate the fiasco of CVT from the early 90's was a great way to alienate customers like myself who remember the CVT Justy's and SVX's. He actually called me twice. He was unable to answer some of my technical questions so he had one of his engineers contact me. By the end of the conversation about the use of modern chains and materials, I felt a little better about it, but with reserved curiosity for sure. The snowmobile acceleration takes a bit to get used to. If you flat foot it and then take your foot off the gas the car has a bit of an "up in the air feel" about the transmission where it seems a bit unsure of what you want it to do. As if it is saying, "give me some input, I will do whatever you want, you just need to let me know what you want me to do".

2.5i: I am not 6, I don't need bring blue paint jobs or shopping cart wings. I definitely do not need to zip ahead of a line of traffic just to turn right just after doing so. If someone is going the speed limit, I do not feel the need to chastise them with a rapid overtake when there is plenty of room right behind them. I own a 500hp Camaro that I have owned since my youth and never leaves the garage if I feel the need to drive like a jackass. What I do need is reliable transportation with a tank that doesn't need to be refilled every 300 miles. Climbing from 6000 feet up to 8000 feet in full frontal 65 mph wind on I-80 during the the dry days of winter is not the best way to measure a vehicle's economy. In a turbo car, it is nigh impossible to stay out of the boost in cruise control going home. Since there is no stop-and-go traffic in Wyoming, and all of my drives involve 30 or more miles, it makes zero sense for me to have optioned the hybrid either. I also have a base hatred of the entire hybrid concept, and the earth hating uneconomic batteries. This is why the only option we passed on was the turbo.

Jasmine Green: I liked the silver and the blue. But my wife wanted the Jasmine. It is a sort of metallic light green/silverish color that reminds me of colors from the ocean a little.

EyeSight™: Hey if you are going to make a series of diluted principle decisions that go against the grain of your personal common sense, then why not add a major option that involves a fairly newish expensive technology that is integrated into several other critical vehicle subsystems :( The eyesight, works great actually. Setting it to follow another car at 2, 3, or 4 car lengths is a bit unnerving. I guess I am just too old. I really don't like it. I do like the idea that if I have a brain fart, it might save me from a rear collision. I did test it a bit on the way out of Denver. It does work, unless you touch the brake pedal, then you can soft brake your way right into a rear ender like a grandma riding her brakes. It also tells me when I am departing my lane without my blinker. I can see where certain places where the roads are poorly marked or a lot of lane changes are required this would be disabled for most drivers. For the kind of driving I do it doesn't bother me at all. Plus as a locomotive engineer I am used to things beeping, buzzing, whooping, and ringing at me in my face all day for hours and hours.

The Good News: I get her old 83k mile 2009 Subaru Outback and now my 197k mile 1993 Subaru Loyale sedan gets retired to the far terminal city where I take my trains so I have something to drive when I get there. Once I ferry it there it will replace my 128k mile 1987 Toyota Tercel hatchy, which will go to a friend who's car there is dying.

The Bad News: I have taken a few trips to town in the Forester, and between the newer 2.5i and the CVT the gas mileage is lack luster compared to the old 2.5i and stick in her Outback. It might be related to the engine not being broke in on it. Probably because it weighs more as well. I just don't know. So I will be driving my 2009 from now on. I will reserve my final judgement on the economy until after I get a chance to compare apples to apples out of the mountains on the flats in colorado's front range between the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I really like the way you formatted/compartmentalized this.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

That's an awesome effortpost and I hope you like the car. My parents are getting an Outback 3.6r in a few days (dealer said within 5) and I really hope they like it after coming from a complete joke of a car; a 2011 X5 x35 diesel. Do never buy a diesel BMW. That thing's CEL has been illuminated and fixed by the dealer so many times it's pathetic. The dealer had so many problems with it they refused to service it anymore.

e: to add, this is their second x5 diesel. The first one the dealer replaced under lemon law because of reasons my parents aren't legally allowed to share since bmw made them sign a non-disclosure agreement.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 18, 2014

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Definitely a good effort post.

This one should be late enough to not have HG issues.

I've been trying to get my mother to go for a revised non-toaster forester, but she ended up in a ford escape which is one of the shittiest cars I've ever dealt with.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
when i was at the dealership we had cars with that style of motor that were a little older and they blew HG too. I didn't see many but if treat your subbie like its a Toyota and not give to fucks about oil or the level, then in the long run your still gonna gently caress yourself. these were fun cars to beat on when they only had 3 miles...

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Nice forester. I really wish you could get the XT with a stick, can't believe that poo poo only comes with a goddamn CVT. They are fine for econoboxes but not for the sporty model.

I would really like it if they put the h6 in the forester, as that 2.5 is just way too goddamned slow (I've owned two subarus with it.) Like, in an outback with the 4eat, it's dangerously slow sometimes.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I'm going to have that ad jingle stuck in my head all day. :argh:

Nice car though. My mom bought an '11 Outback a couple months ago and I think it has the same drivetrain. The CVT is kind of rubbery but it's not obtrusive.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Drove it today. Filled up at Shell in Ft Collins at Harmony. Drove to Boulder. Hit 35 mpg for a while then down to about 31. By the time I had 90 miles on it when I hit my house high in the mountains it was hovering around 29 mpg. I wasn't even trying. There isn't a lot of trying with an auto and cruise anyways.

It gets a pass from me thus far on economy.

One thing I noticed while cruising down the mountain into Ft Collins was that the weight of the vehicle and its rolling resistance is much less favorable than the old outback.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
You know, it would be nice to have a thread where people post what they bought, their reasoning in detail, and how it worked out like this. Could even have the OP link to the specific posts by model if it got huge.

(Maybe there is such a thing, but if so I'm dumb and missed it :downs: )

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Nice forester. I really wish you could get the XT with a stick, can't believe that poo poo only comes with a goddamn CVT. They are fine for econoboxes but not for the sporty model.

While we're wishing, put a turbo on it so I can finally have a gravel express.

Have Subarus bloated that much over the past 15 years? I've got a 99 OBS with the 2.2, it doesn't feel dangerously slow to me. But it is under 3000 unloaded.

_Loser_
Dec 8, 2005

Gaymu for Teemu
I've got an 11 Forester that we're pretty happy with and we're likely going to be picking up a '15 crosstrek this spring to go with it. I was wondering a few things about the new Eyesight, actually. You mention being able to disable the lane departure... can you disable the individual features on eyesight control automatically? There are parts of it my wife theoretically does and does not like which make it a key point to figure out. Really any insight into how you're getting along with the eyesight is valuable info to me at this point.

Thanks for the great post.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

22 Eargesplitten posted:

While we're wishing, put a turbo on it so I can finally have a gravel express.

Have Subarus bloated that much over the past 15 years? I've got a 99 OBS with the 2.2, it doesn't feel dangerously slow to me. But it is under 3000 unloaded.

This seems to be true of most cars these days. Even cars that were considered small previously.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Got home last night with 250 miles used and right at half a tank left. Even after driving up the mountain to go home at 80 mph. I doubt the other half will yield 250 miles, but I am impressed at how deep in the 400's we will be.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I have decided that I do like the car.

The one thing I fear about the eyesight is that it could make you a worse driver. I nearly rearended someone while testing it's limits. It would have completely been my fault and in that moment I realized how irresponsible it would have been had I made contact. It is an extremely useful and comfortable tool in highway traffic and should not be used (by me at least) in city driving.

If you are an "overtaker" in other words, spending all of your commute trying to better your position in traffic, you should not get this option at all.

I also used my minds eye while driving it on a rough road, and between the ride feel and the great visibility/position in cab while driving, it could easily be a 4x4 compact truck, but with none of the wheelbase of course.

Lets have a discussion about "X-Mode": Well I think it is pretty cool. I couldn't speak about it before, because I didn't really know what it was. But I tried driving up the hill out of our gravel driveway where the snow had drifted in and basically piled up about just over a foot deep.

I wasn't sure just by looking at it that the combination of the grade and the depth of the snow how the car would handle it. Especially as there would be no running start at this drift. I purposefully drove out with the X-Mode off and the Forester began to spin a bit. I gunned it and it just slowly pushed forward through the drift and at one point felt like it might get stuck. It just made it onto the winding clay road that makes the loop of our rural neighborhood and then triumphantly moved off like a dog shaking off water when coming out of a pool.

I stopped and the wife immediately asked me what I was going to do? I told her I was going to do it again. I back into the same spot and turned my wheels and pulled forward more left into another fresh unspoiled path in our wide driveway. I felt it would not be a fair test if I simply drove through my tracks.

I engage X-Mode, and begin to push the gas. The feeling is reminiscent of a true 4x4 vehicle in the 4 wheel drive and low range. I purposefully drove at low speed into the drift in my best impression of a Floridian in a snow storm, i.e. as if I were attempting to get stuck.

My wife's attitude went from concern to curiosity. Fair enough because it is her car after all. Well I was impressed. I had read exactly zero about the X-mode and figured it might be a little torque control based on engine speed and transmission gearing while monitoring wheel slip. I found it was much more. It also applies the brakes lightly to any slipping wheel. I could actually hear and feel the brakes doing their part. I thought that it was pretty ingenious. I have no doubt that other manufacturers probably use a similar scheme. As I found out by watching a video a few minutes ago, also it also re-biases the electronic differential.

Short version, it actually helps. It worked.

I also saw in the video X-Mode which I feel might be particularly helpful to those like Kansans, who I suppose have no idea how to use brakes to descend a steep hill without ending up on an episode Ridiculousness.

My only worry is that at the halfway point, between the major highway and our house is a particular switchback that gets drifted in. Last year it did capture my wife in the 09 Outback. A nearby neighbor pulled her out and she was forced to return to town because I was away working.

I mentioned to her that she might not have gotten stuck had she been driving this vehicle and had the benefit of this X-Mode. Her response was that she might have just become that much more hopelessly trapped but maybe deep enough into the field of drift that forms on the road to not be rescued without more equipment.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmFqfywu-OQ

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

_Loser_ posted:

I've got an 11 Forester that we're pretty happy with and we're likely going to be picking up a '15 crosstrek this spring to go with it. I was wondering a few things about the new Eyesight, actually. You mention being able to disable the lane departure... can you disable the individual features on eyesight control automatically? There are parts of it my wife theoretically does and does not like which make it a key point to figure out. Really any insight into how you're getting along with the eyesight is valuable info to me at this point.

Thanks for the great post.

The eyesight features of emergency stop and its cruise control feature are not separately disable able. The guy at the dealer who actually crashed one though a foam wall said there is no reason for anyone to ever disable it unless it is malfunctioning.

Trust me, if anything is amiss it will disable itself at the drop of a hat, for example, driving due west as the sun hits the horizon. It will momentarily disable itself.

If you think you might not like it, consider passing on the option.

Also I would recommend against the crosstrek. it is the cheapest made plasticky produced vehicle they sell. We sent a friend of ours to Groove Subaru to check out a used 2014 outback that was for sale at $24k. The salesman got her into a Limited without the Touring 18" wheels, leather, or Eyesight but with nearly everything else for the same $24k. I think that you can get another well enough equipped 2015 Forester to go with your 2011 for what the Crosstrek might cost.

EDIT: oh and by the way her $24k was with the added windshield sealing BS (I forgot to warn her), the 7 year/100k mile added warranty, the prepaid 45k mile service package which includes everything but tires, and $2k in tax.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 4, 2015

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Oh here is a couple of pictures I hastily took at Horse Tooth Reservoir above Ft. Collins, CO yesterday

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 4, 2015

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Update

X-Mode: I put the X-Mode through mini dry paces a couple days ago.

We live on a bit of property that has some interesting topography. The land is at the edge of what could barely be called a subdivision because of it's rurality.

My wife and I had just returned home from the grocery store and I had backed into our double spot driveway that we have squeezed 3 cars into. I have driven other people's cars with camera backup but this is my first. My wife made light of the fact that I still place my arm upon her seat and bodily turn to stare out the back window to make any backup move even though we have a camera. 30 years of driving is hard to break what I still consider a good habit.

Once in the spot my wife pointed up the hill on our property mentioning that she feels that the car shop/building should be built there near our wellhead.

This is a picture from the parking of this spot she described:

I told her that a bit of property near the opposite end of the hill has a shelf that flanks the house. It will be visible through the trees but it will still be partially out of sight. She was unsure where I was talking about so I told her, before we put away the groceries, let us take the new car there.

I pulled to the low road below the spot. There is no driveway up to the spot. The spot the shop would sit upon a sort of shelf above the road. The base of the shelf is small grade. If you are going to climb a hill it would be more ideal to start at its very base. Here the base is cut away at an angle that is only about 5 feet high.

I took a very poor picture that shows the grade. The most I can ask of you is to notice I parked the car in front of the grade and it's shelf is as high as the car.

Here is the spot we climbed and circled

The photo doesn't do justice to the gradient. But because of natural erosion and proper grading to prevent erosion it isn't a horrible grade. Enough that I knew the front bumper and skid plate will get a little action during the climb and return. Maybe even the rear bumper as well. What is the point of owning a touring if I cannot make it tour my property? This is probably a better job for a personal quad bike thingy. But I have been curious since watching the X-Mode video, and my small snow test.

I place it in X-Mode and after bumping the hill a bit with the license plate, the thing bounds up the grade like a billy goat. I could hear and feel the Forester's brakes grab sequentially as each wheel that failed to find purchase was seized from spinning and the wheels that had purchase did the work. The soil is very soft. Softer than I had thought it would be.

We circled the shelf and noted the spots where a through driveway could be put in. Where the back of the shelf of property could have more dirt removed to help with the endeavor that would also make room for a larger foundation. A rock structure will stay put to add some form of beauty to the project as the building will likely be a standard ugly steel box that are vogue in this region.

I noticed a coil of barbed wire that I nearly run over during the trip and began back down. Still in X-Mode the vehicle nearly did the work. All I had to do was make sure not to drop over the crest at a tipping angle for safety. I even took my hands off the wheel to show my wife the stability as it moved at a safe slow pace. She was still unamused. Like I said before, My picture does not show the grade angle very well.

I could feel and hear the front bumper barely touch the road as were returned to it. I checked and there were no scratches. I asked my wife if she thought we would have a problem. She told me I had her confidence but that she was a bit worried none the less. She did tell me that the foray had massively increased her confidence in the vehicle's abilities. She will feel much safer in bad snow.

I know you might think I am maybe a maniac, but I have found myself wondering about a small brush guard and tiny winch for the thing. I have already been wondering about the same for my 2009 Legacy Outback.

Lighting: The fog lights actually help considerably with this Forester. Since we live rurally and commute from 6000 foot Cheyenne up to our 8000 foot altitude home, icy conditions are more common than snowy ones. I like to use these lights to give me a good look at the road's surface condition. We don't have New York or Pennsylvania levels of deer, but we are not far off. Not the fast nimble little white tail deer either. Massive mule deer nearly as large as elk. Plus actual elk. My brother in law filmed this yesterday on the way out. As you can see by the shoddy camera work, he was quite excited to be stopped by 300 elk in the roadway for the first time in his life

The HID headlights on this Forester are amazing. This is old hat to many of you, but this is my first HID equipped car ownership. The thing I like the most is that the lighting's color temperature and intensity is marvelous at reflecting animal eyes in the darkness. Not just deer and elk, but also livestock. They stick out very well even in poor conditions.

My 2009 could use an upgrade. Maybe an LED bar. I don't want to be "that guy", but I have an actual need. I told my wife the winch idea and she said I should practice on the 2009 instead of fiddling with her new Forester.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
spaceship subaru

drat, I hope my wife pays for these when they wear out

This gas mileage is misleading. I only drove like 30+ miles when it was saying this. Shell Premium.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

B4Ctom1 posted:

As you can see by the shoddy camera work, he was quite excited to be stopped by 300 elk in the roadway for the first time in his life
So he's never been up to Rocky Mountain National Park?

I know, it's different when they are in the unpreserved wild.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

B4Ctom1 posted:

spaceship subaru

Three bright LCD screens within the drivers default view... No wonder headlights are insanely bright on newer cars, there's an entire city worth of light pollution in the cabin.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Here you go!

http://get-primitive.com/find/2015-Subaru-Forester-2.0XT%20Touring

They can bend up custom skids and they make nudge bars in the front. They also make rocker sliders now.

My skidplate is from them and has held up well.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Cellular Suicide posted:

Three bright LCD screens within the drivers default view... No wonder headlights are insanely bright on newer cars, there's an entire city worth of light pollution in the cabin.

I was playing around with dining them. But I cranked them up a little for the pic. There is some sort of sensor on the dash for dimming but I don't know if my control fuckery disabled it.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I am still learning new things about the car. For example, when you walk up to the car it will unlock for you without unlocking by remote button. I don't know if this works via some sort of near field technology or possibly with RFID. I see a red light on the remote flash once when this happens.

The rear hatch has a small rubber covered button to the right of the large regular one that makes the hatch open. This superfluous button allows you to lock the car with the remote in your pocket. It does nothing if you aren't in possession of the fob.

I did test something else out. I started the car using the normal method (foot on brake, fob in pocket, press of start button). Then exited the car with the fob which elicited the normal warning beeps, and then I locked the doors using the button. The vehicle is now started, secured, warming-up, and immobile until the fob returns to the interior. I like it. Sure a remote start is better, but that is a Subaru dealer installed add on, not a factory option.

The keyless part is a feature of the Touring option. The other models have an actual key.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

B4Ctom1 posted:

I did test something else out. I started the car using the normal method (foot on brake, fob in pocket, press of start button). Then exited the car with the fob which elicited the normal warning beeps, and then I locked the doors using the button. The vehicle is now started, secured, warming-up, and immobile until the fob returns to the interior. I like it. Sure a remote start is better, but that is a Subaru dealer installed add on, not a factory option.

That's actually really nice, neither my Veloster nor my parents '13 civic will let you lock them when they're running. I've got to watch the car like a hawk if I want to run out and start it up a few mins before leaving wherever.

I wonder is the lower models without keyless ignition will let you do the same with two keys?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've got a 2011 Legacy w/ 2.5 and CVT and while it is not a remarkable car or going to set the world on fire, it's reliable and gives adequate performance. It's my first Subaru and barring something disastrous, would have no problem recommending that combo to anyone else for a utilitarian vehicle.

I am shocked with the highway fuel economy, I was getting over 625 miles/1000km a tank @ 80+ MPH (130KPH) of interstate driving last year.

Also, save your money, don't bother feeding it premium.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
On subaru, it seems like a lot of issues would be solved with direct injection adding 1mpg and 20hp to their vehicles. Forester is a tad dated interior wise last I checked too but other than that great.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

slidebite posted:

Also, save your money, don't bother feeding it premium.

Especially at our elevation. The manual apparently says 87, but I'm a bad person and have always put our 85 octane in my EJ22. Do people at lower elevations have 85 octane, or is that just a high-elevation thing? I hesitate to call ~4800 feet high elevation, because you can drive to his 8,000 or even 10,000 in less than two hours, but I realize that on the other hand, 5000 feet is the tallest mountain peak in places like Georgia.

edit: I keep talking like I know the OP not because I actually know him, but because the area he's describing is about an hour north of me, and some pictures he's posted have been in my town. I've never met him in my life.

double edit: He might be one of those assholes that runs a train back and forth blocking off two major roads for 20 minutes, though.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 12, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
In California at sea level it's 87-89-91.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Kentucky at 500 feet MSL and we get 87/89/91/92/93. Most stations have 87/89/93 which is kinda weird.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

87/89/93 is pretty much the standard for PA.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

87/89/93 is pretty much the standard for PA.

That's typical across the Gulf and Atlantic coasts.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sunoco used to carry 87/89/93/94. But a few years ago they switched to 87/89/91/93. I was kinda bummed about that.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I got news that the insurance on this thing is $800 a loving year!

Don't they have discounts for this eyesight poo poo like they did in the 80's for airbags?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
That's really cheap for a new car? I live in Louisiana where everyone sues so a 97 ranger is like $1000 a year, so ok?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I was really starting to get pissed off about the navigation system. Maybe because I had a Garmin in the 2009 and a cellphone for everything else.

But then last night, for our anniversary dinner, my wife and I agreed to leave both our cellphones at the hotel. I cannot recommend this enough if you get a chance.

We got to the Forester and stared at the navigation not knowing how we would give it an address to take us to. A quick search of "Joe's Crab Shack" found us the one in nearby Aurora, CO. We selected it and were on our way much faster than I had guessed.

So this morning I had a meeting at a Doubletree in Denver and put "Doubletree" into the search and it gave me the long list of them in Denver. I selected the one on Yates and was on my way. Much easier than I expected actually.

The navigation gives you sign pictures and pictograms of actions to be taken in the form of a simulated FPV of the intersection or exit. In the end, unfamiliar but not bad.

The sound system in this Touring model is pretty nice. The fact that the thing allows multiple phones to connect for calls and music simultaneously is pretty cool too, at least to a virgin of these kinds of luxuries.

When we plug a phone or iPod not bluetoothed into the USB port in the armrest it instantly accesses all the music as well. I am guessing this is pretty standard for car these days?

Fuckery with the navigation without the car in park is not allowed at all btw.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

There has got to be a bypass you can do for the stop interlock. It's bullshit too and if nothing else should be tied to the passenger seat sensor.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah I'd bypass that the first week of ownership.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
My wife informed me today that if you annoy the part of the Eyesight that tells you when you are wandering out of your lane like 3 times in one minute it puts a light on the dash that says "STAY ALERT".

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does it recognize the lane markers for passing zones as okay times to shift lanes, or is it tied to whether you've got your blinker on, or what? My mother has a new-ish Subaru, but I don't think it has eyesight (2013).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does it recognize the lane markers for passing zones as okay times to shift lanes, or is it tied to whether you've got your blinker on, or what? My mother has a new-ish Subaru, but I don't think it has eyesight (2013).

The cameras employ some form of fuzzy logic to try to make out a pattern of a lane.

Sometimes while driving on the well worn dirt roads, or when the dark dirt wet road is showing up through the white snow, it warns me that I am departing my lane. My wife and I laugh because there are clearly no lanes, but you can see that it is not crazy, there was "almost" a semblance or wear marks from use making it "almost" a lane.

"Go home EyeSight you are drunk." - My Wife

• Locked thread