Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tCiEq5YaJE

So is that the thing that got everyone stirred up? :shrug:

Oh right, it's in the OP. I'm gonna pretend that was a ninja edit. Still don't get the rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I said come in! posted:

The entire premise of the game is mowing down innocent people who don't fight back or put up much of a fight at all.
Oh, okay, that's dumb then. At least in GTA etc. someone actually tries to stop you. Though you could get that with a cheat code if that's your preference.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Seems like a waste, I haven't seen many top down shooters that aren't zombie games lately. I imagine that they could have just made this a zombie game and nobody would have even noticed it.

Would be nice to get a new top-down GTA clone that didn't have some retro 8 bit aesthetic. Would probably be way too much extra work for little payoff in appearance though.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

If this game was developed by Wario I would buy it immediately, though.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Snark posted:

Hatred got me an upgraded Avatar, I like this game and hope it does well. I don't want to own it though, because it's basically clickbait for self-righteous idiots with nothing else to appeal to me.
So you like the game, but you don't want to play it, but you want it to make money. Do I have that correct? Why do you want someone to make money for a game you don't want to play made for people you think are idiots?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Snark posted:

Because maybe someone will learn something, and even if they don't I find it very amusing personally. Mind you, it wasn't made to be played by people I think are idiots. It was made to capitalize on the attention of people I think are idiots. The game itself will probably not be played by all but the most hypocritical of those idiots.
Who is the someone and what will they learn? How is that amusing? This would be a lot less confusing for me if you'd just come out and say things directly.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Eye of Widesauron posted:

This game looks like it sucks and will probably be played for like 5 minutes tops by most people who even pick it up before they go "gently caress it" and quit, consigning it to the 57584930378 other steam games they own and basically never play.
Hey, that's not fair. I totally want to play the games I bought, dammit.

someday

:saddowns:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Snark posted:

So the people doing these things? They're the someones.
Who is it you are so afraid of mentioning? Do they read SA? Do they have a fleet of lawyers? What is it you are so petrified of? Why do I have to educate myself on what your pronouns mean? What would I even do to accomplish that? Google isn't helping me much.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Powercrazy posted:

From what I've read the game is about killing civilians and they don't fight back, but obviously the police and other authorities start to hunt you down. Could be a cool escalating force game or it could be a high-tension "manhunt" type of game where if you go guns blazing constantly you'll get killed pretty quickly.
Oh, well if they do hunt you down then there's at least a game there. Pretty much everyone I've ever known played GTAs by killing random innocent people and then trying to lose the cops, at least once or twice just to see if they could do it. That's like a tradition at this point, though making an entire game out of just that and keeping it entertaining would be difficult. Oh, and none of those people who played GTAs have gone on to do any violent crimes that I know of.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Endorph posted:

is anyone actually raising a furor over this game? most of the articles and stuff i've seen have been 'it would have been controversial in 2004, but in 2014 it's just kind of dumb and laughable.'
I'd love to know but The Snark won't tell me who is.

It's probably twitter

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Ddraig posted:

Here's the big difference between this game and any other game that features violence:

This game was made by neo-nazis, or at the very least neo-nazi sympathizers.

You may be able to kill hookers and russians in other games but the big difference is when you do so you're not directly funding nazis. I'm sure there's a big audience out for this game, and they have all rights to sell it, I just don't really think Steam should be funding nazis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick-fil-A_same-sex_marriage_controversy

Remember this one? Remember how a bunch of people ignorantly ate a bunch of chicken sandwiches before they knew how heinous the people were that were getting the chicken sandwich money?

Sometimes I'd rather just eat a chicken sandwich and not know the rest.

Oh yeah, and their sales have only improved during and since everyone found out they were colossal shitlords.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Riso posted:

Please stop buying products from China; you're supporting a totalitarian communist regime that is responsible for the death of at least 60 million people.

Thank you.
Good point. *throws smartphone in garbage*

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

"Published on Nov 1, 2014"

So this steaming turd of a controversy has been brewing for weeks and some shitpiles decided to make some news to kick it over hoping it would smell fresh. Great.

(loving great video though)

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

RottenK posted:

Widestancer why did you made this thread its just going to be unironic arguments between tumblr and /pol/

Isn't Games bad enough already
Probably thought Spanlove was getting bored and would need more fuel to throw on the hellthread.

Like you could just merge these four pages in there as is and nothing of value would be lost. Probably wouldn't even look out of place aside from the OP.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sounds like those guys are scumbags, glad they haven't made anything I've enjoyed. By the way, if you have ever enjoyed any entertainment, I suggest you don't look up any of the people involved in making it. Same basic principle behind not watching those videos about where your food comes from.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Endorph posted:

most people are probably a little lovely, but most people are probably not neonazis
Sure. I just hope you never find out about the shittier ones that you've funded unawares. :shrug:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

If the motivation, backstory and actions of your character are so important to you that you get PTSD from a loving video game, maybe you shouldn't play any, just for our safety. That goes double if you can't watch a heist movie without suddenly needing to go rob a bank, or read a romance novel without going out and sexually assaulting someone.

That said, I wouldn't have bought this game if it was the umpteenth twin stick zombie shooter this decade, so I'm certainly not buying it for Edgy McTrenchcoat. It wouldn't really matter how many Twitter people find out that the developers crush kittens and feast on their still pumping kitten blood because it's just not a game I would want anyway.

If you find the subject too distasteful then great, a lot of people can't stand crime novels or romance novels or what the gently caress ever either, that's fine and feel free to let your friends know it's that kind of subject you don't like. Just don't get involved in an orgy of dumb Twitter people yelling about it just to stir up a frenzy. An angry mob tends to get violent itself when it gets bigger and angrier, and they're usually going to start doing dumb poo poo themselves.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Endorph posted:

i agree, people on twitter going 'this game is stupid' are an orgy of violence waiting to happen
If you jumped to conclusions any harder I think the pavement would crack. :doh:

Saying the game is stupid is obviously fine. An Internet lynch mob that starts doing dumb poo poo ala Gamergate is not so much. Yes, it's up to you as a mature human to understand the distinction and make that choice for yourself. I'm sorry if I'm being too reasonable for your taste.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

TimeServ posted:

Can't wait to see PewDiePie play this!
Is there a critical mass of 'edgy' that would cause the collapse of the universe? Cause I think that would just about do it.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

circ dick soleil posted:

Censorship is really cool and good. Glad to see young people demanding more of it.
If you bring the semantic argument over what the word "censorship" is into this thread I will go Hatred on your rear end

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

If we get just one more crazy person from the gamergate thread in here I can get more points on my Games Bingo card.
I thought that was the whole purpose of this thread in the first place :confused:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Eonwe posted:

I read Powercrazy's posts and I legitimately never have any clue what he is talking about

my eyes glaze over even when I try to re-read it
Now imagine 500+ pages of that :chanpop:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Reading the steam forums is generally like getting water boarded with hot sauce unless you approach it from a Weekend Web mockery viewpoint.
Or dip in very briefly from a google result to fix a technical problem, then run away quickly. :zoid:

Eonwe posted:

I wish we could have anything without goons ruining it like they always do

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

It's a good thread for a certain purpose but bad if someone genuinely wants to get information on this game. I feel bad for those people quite often in various threads.
I remember when that happened with Dragon's Crown. That's when I realized I am a horrible sexist monster who deserves to die. :shrug:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Has anyone even played the game to tell if it turns you into a Nazi yet? I mean, I've eaten some Chick-fil-a and I swear to you it didn't make me a Southern Baptist. We need some solid data here, folks.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I'm glad the crazy people of both sides from the really lovely and bad GG thread populated by insane people are here personally.
You were going for that, right? No wait, it was to get the stink out of the Steam thread. We could still make room in the hellthread if anyone new wants to join the debate on evil in/from/around/behind video games.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Ddraig posted:

You still haven't explained how Hatred is being censored.

You do realize censorship doesn't mean 'these nasty people don't want to release it', right?
Who was it that I threatened to kill if we got the 'definition of censorship' argument in here? Glad I didn't toxx that cause I don't actually want to murder someone. But I would like to at least punch you in spirit.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Ddraig posted:

Powercrazy mentioned the big C word.
No, I looked back and I blamed circ dick soleil. And they left so I'll have to wait until I catch up on hellthread to give them a vicious noogie.

Also :laffo: at casually trying to drag pedophilia into the conversation.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Am I going to end up being momma duck for a bunch of crazy people
Naw man you just close the thread and send them back to the big Aych Tee.

yes, yes, the hellthread shall consume all

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Ddraig posted:

It also isn't made by neo Nazis so it also has that going for it.
It isn't that you know of. Maybe you should get some Twitter detectives on the case, just to be sure.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Ddraig posted:

Well I think creepy Internet detective work isn't great but if the developers did come out and say they supported Combat 18 or whatever I would certainly refrain from recommending it to people.
Ah yes, nothing shows a public vote of support like the classic Facebook Like. That really clarifies where they stand on

the devs' website posted:

"My grand-grand father was killed by Gestapo. Some members of my family were fighting against nazi occupation in the polish underground army called "Armia Krajowa". My forefathers suffered greatly because of totallitarian regimes, so who the gently caress would I be if I'd truly support any of nazi activists? People give "likes" on Facebook all the time, even if they don't know what is exactly behind this or that fanpage. I did the same. Suddenly it makes me neo-nazi, great, have fun you stupid rear end haters. Learn some history first, because when I read about "polish death camps" it makes me disgusted. You don't know poo poo about our history and you fall easily to false propaganda. The hateful title I'm working on (where virtual character hates virtual characters), doesn't have any connection to what I truly believe and think, there is a real-life outside, you know? Maybe you should try it? I will never ever again respond to any of those accusations, this is my ultimate statement."
J. Z.

"Nazi Germany is responsible for killing 6 milion people in Poland. Half of them were Jews, half of them Polish. My family suffered many losses during the World War II. Anybody accusing me for being a follower of said ideology should really think twice before doing so and consider reading some books on the topic. This is basic history knowledge really and also happens to be a very personal matter for me. I am not a neo-Nazi nor a fascist and it is utterly disgusting to be called this way. And I have to say it’s really surprising for me how somebody from the United States especially can have troubles understanding such simple and universal values as patriotism, honoring one own national symbols and caring for the future of his own country. Values like pluralism , democratic opposition and the right to manifest one own views shouldn’t be called ‘the lack of tolerance’. Finally regarding my attitude towards gays let me just say that I have a few gay friends that I deeply respect as people and have no problem with their sexual orientation."
M. K.

"In response to repeated allegations against me, I’d like to state that I’m opposed to all totalitarian ideologies. The t-shirt that I’m wearing on our team picture refers to National Polish Army troops, that in 1945 refused to lay down arms and continue fighting against the new invader, to regain independent Poland. They did so because they’ve rightly anticipated Soviet security service repressions against Polish already demilitarized army. I would also like to emphasize that until the year 1945 those troops were actively fighting against the Third Reich occupation. Those soldiers are Polish national heroes and as such deserve commemoration. Just as much as American troops that lose their lives fighting against terrorism. As to organizations that profiles I follow, they refer to the patriotic and libertarian tradition, and not to the totalitarian ideology."
J. S.
Oh.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Ddraig posted:

Didn't you make a post earlier putting Nazis, Jews and Furries in roughly the same category of people being unnecessarily otherized.
If you interpreted it as that, you're wrong. But this is the thread about jumping to conclusions so have fun, I guess.

quote:

I mean you have the CEO following far right extremists, the artist posting his aryan tattoo designs and another dude following a legit anti-Jewish movement and attending one of their marches.

It could all just be a series of unfortunate accidents. Maybe the tattoo artist is completely unfamiliar with the concept of aryan artwork like Mjolnir with a swastika in it, maybe the CEO was truly looking for unbiased news like how Muslims are taking over the world with Halal and maybe that dude going on the march doesn't like matzo.
I missed where you posted the citation about the tattoo designs or the anti-Semitic march so please forgive me for taking their own word over one Facebook screenshot. Would be nice if you actually cited things rather than just handwave them as though they're common knowledge, though, that was kind of annoying. I'm insane but I'm not entirely unreasonable, you could just say something like "that would be one thing but you missed these" and point them out. I apologize for being snippy but I think you could see where I was coming from since I thought that was the only piece of evidence presented. :kiddo:

circ dick soleil posted:

Hitler did nothing wrong.
Oh hi, welcome back. Also I owe you a spirit punch. :fuckoff:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

poptart_fairy posted:

i dont think draig has given citations for any of the stuff he's ranted about in a dozen threads

a completely different poster did calmly put a bunch of stuff together for us, mind
I missed it then, was it in this thread? I don't especially want to trawl through the Steam thread and I thought I had followed this one pretty closely because I am an insane person.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Oh, I guess I did see that then. A bunch of :words: without evidence and a link to somebody's tattoo website. :shrug:

I don't even want to defend the dumb people making a bad game, sometimes I wish I wasn't such a sucker. I guess I will just take these claims as truth so that I can stop.

But thanks for linking it. I don't mean to sound ungrateful.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Ddraig posted:

Mjolnir, a known symbol coopted by white supremacists with a swastika in it? No, totally the request of a Hindu neo-pagan. I mean, it's not as if either of those symbols have any completely different meaning other than "I am a believer of both Hinduism and Asatru"

Maybe if they truly are both they could perhaps choose a different design? How about Thor and Ganesh, back to back, fending off the hordes at Ragnarok? A much better design, and one that isn't going to get you bundled in with Neo Nazis, assuming that isn't your goal.
I couldn't find the Mjolnir but I did find something far more heinous:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Erata posted:

I'm still holding out hope that Hatred has a twist ending as impressive and disappointing as Harvester.

quote:

If the player chooses to kill Stephanie, they are then shown a film sequence during which Steve beats Stephanie to death and then removes her brain and spinal cord. After the murder is complete, Steve awakens within the virtual reality simulator and is taken to a taxi cab that is waiting outside, where he brutally murders the driver. He returns home, where his mother criticizes violence in video games by saying that people who watch violence commit violence. Steve ridicules his mother's assertions and laughs at her comparison of violent media to "Road Runner cartoons."
Back in 1996 apparently they had to make entire games to poo poo post. :eyepop:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Powercrazy posted:

Sorry man, I'm really not up on my white supremacist history.
I went out and watched Thor and I didn't even see a single skinhead. Someone should have warned me about the hate speech I was seeing! gently caress, a good chunk of the movie was about Thor getting back his Mjolnir (the white man getting back his white power) and I never twigged onto it.

Though now that I think about it I had those dark 3D glasses on for that one so I probably wouldn't have spotted the white supremacists in the theater.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Man I was making fun of this game when all I saw was the minute thirty-four trailer that looked dumb and boring and trying too hard to be the edgiest.

When did it become about Nazis and censorship and strawmen attacking each other viciously?

What happened to making fun of a stupid piece of poo poo?
You know how it goes around here, when we run out of material we have to dig more poo poo up to run into the ground. I'm hoping we get more YouTubes of lines from Edgy McTrenchcoat eventually since we can all agree they're going to be terrible.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Geight posted:

Their logo is the Doom logo font but greyscale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Geight posted:

well at least something good came of this
I would play that game. Doob running around in grayscale, forcibly shooting hot dogs into people's mouths, ignoring their screams.

SLAW DOG. IN THE BOTTLE.

*gunshots*

FRIES.

*a headshot, then silence*

GOD BLESS.

• Locked thread