Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

I actually think the whole cartoony over the top representation of Kim Jong was the worst part about the movie but I understand what they were setting out to do.

How so? I think the writing and actor nailed him, probably. They even got an ankle reference in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

This movie was alright. Hard Tacos are better than soft tacos and about as good as a burrito. Anything else?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Astrochicken posted:

This movie was alright. Hard Tacos are better than soft tacos and about as good as a burrito. Anything else?

What's the best kind of burrito?

Also, this has me in the mood to watch "This is the End" and "Pineapple Express" today.

I do think Danny McBride was the funniest part of each of those movies. I don't understand how he can basically play the same character but always make it fun and interesting. Like, even Kenny Powers was endearing despite being a total dick

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 6, 2015

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The more I think about it, one of my favorite lines in this was after Seth Rogen meets the North Korean helicopter.

"I packed like a fool! Like a goddamn fool!"

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Boywhiz88 posted:

I do think Danny McBride was the funniest part of each of those movies. I don't understand how he can basically play the same character but always make it fun and interesting. Like, even Kenny Powers was endearing despite being a total dick

Danny McBride pretty much only has one character he can play, just with variations of it. And he's one of the funniest men on the planet for it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I could watch hours, days of Danny McBride being a bit of a dick and saying things in a funny way. I'm kinda sad that Eastbound & Down ended, it was more consistently funny than Trailer Park Boys in my opinion.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

I could watch hours, days of Danny McBride being a bit of a dick and saying things in a funny way. I'm kinda sad that Eastbound & Down ended, it was more consistently funny than Trailer Park Boys in my opinion.

As hard as this is for me to say I'd have to agree. The boys hold a special place in my heart but eastbound and down is just loving on point from beginning to end.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, if you didn't feel like shelling out for the VOD this is coming to Netflix this Saturday (US and Canada only.)

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Well, if you didn't feel like shelling out for the VOD this is coming to Netflix this Saturday (US and Canada only.)

I watched it last night. It was pretty funny and I mostly enjoyed it, I'd give it a pretty solid B or B-. I'll echo what another poster said about the gore, it was pretty unnecessary and seemed tonally a bit off, especially the finger biting scene towards the end.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I watched it last night. It was pretty funny and I mostly enjoyed it, I'd give it a pretty solid B or B-. I'll echo what another poster said about the gore, it was pretty unnecessary and seemed tonally a bit off, especially the finger biting scene towards the end.
And the camera joystick plunging up the dude's rear end seemed unnecessarily cruel.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The violence in this movie is actually the most exciting and important part for me. Goldberg and Rogen are clearly taking a lot of notes from Inglourious Basterds and other late-Tarantino, and while the product is a bit uneven, it absolutely drives the point home. When the two generals die in the opera hall and everything bursts into agonized crying, I was seriously disturbed. And I don't mean disturbed, as in, I thought the film was trying to get me to laugh when it wasn't appropriate; I mean disturbed in that the scene unto itself really effected me and made me start thinking about what I was watching in a way that even the obvious satire throughout didn't occur to me. I had a similar moment when Jong-un shoots his bodyguard in the rear end. Both scenes are so clearly established as slapstick skits, but because the victims in question are North Koreans, and because the context is totalitarian oppression and a botched colonial subterfuge, the film represents them as unambiguously perverse.

Like, juxtapose the scene of the Korean guy getting shot in the rear end with the much-advertised scene of Rogen having to hide the giant metal probe inside his own rear end. The film is actually training the spectator to empathize more with the North Korean antagonists than with the white American protagonists, despite the fact that the context of both is a raunchy comedy. The film is constantly reminding us that our perspective is of Skylark, who is easily seduced by sentimental pop music and carnal delights, that he doesn't even realize he's in Downfall until the Great Dictator finally shouts that he's going to nuke his country.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
edit: nevermind

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I liked it. I'll probably not watch it again, but it was enjoyable.

Also the two minutes they spent in China is fairly accurate from what I know. "No thanks, I'll just absorb the second hand smoke".

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
There's definitely precedent for dark humor and graphic violence--look at This Is The End and Pineapple Express, for example. Just in those two, you have severed heads, impaling on a lamppost, head crushing, ears being shot/bitten off, a shotgun destroying a corpse's foot, and the protagonists "dipping a toe into murder", among other things.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I actually looked in the dump for this one, but, I guess we are here. Seth is Seth, and like in Zak and Mindy he's a grounded reality type that is identifiable.

Skylark may as well have been Zoolander, as much as an annoying dumbass as he was.

I agree the violence was out of place in its graphicness and realism, especially that far along. But given the length of the movie it may have been time to get serious and wrap it up.

This is a C, its shlock if anything. It can't decide where to cut more plot holes and where to ignore them, but its not redeeming like a total over-the -top like team america.

I caught the end credit music which just drew to mind Korobeiniki, so I don't know even what was up with this. Lame.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Coffee And Pie posted:

There's definitely precedent for dark humor and graphic violence--look at This Is The End and Pineapple Express, for example. Just in those two, you have severed heads, impaling on a lamppost, head crushing, ears being shot/bitten off, a shotgun destroying a corpse's foot, and the protagonists "dipping a toe into murder", among other things.

I've been laughing at over the top gore since I was a kid. I'd imagine Seth is the same way.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

computer parts posted:

Also the two minutes they spent in China is fairly accurate from what I know. "No thanks, I'll just absorb the second hand smoke".

Except for the two seconds they spent at the Richmond Night Market. Though I've eaten at the mango dessert stand that Rogen is standing in front of for a few seconds, that mango tapioca icy is good poo poo.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Now that it's on netflix I gave this movie a try. Basically dick and fart jokes (not even good ones, if those exist). Pretty bad overall although a few parts were amusing.

The only part I actually laughed at was when Franco said "gently caress you trees." Mostly I was just sighing at the juvenile humor.

But it's a common problem I have with this type of film. Instead of saying anything witty or actually trying they consistently revert to dick and fart jokes, occasionally throwing a pussy joke in. All of them feel like something a 12 year old would laugh at.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I just saw this on Netflix and I quite enjoyed it. I didn't like it as much as Pineapple Express, but I thought it was a good buddy flick. I fully expected there to be juvenile humor and gore and I was not disappointed.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Now that it's on netflix I gave this movie a try. Basically dick and fart jokes (not even good ones, if those exist). Pretty bad overall although a few parts were amusing.

The only part I actually laughed at was when Franco said "gently caress you trees." Mostly I was just sighing at the juvenile humor.

But it's a common problem I have with this type of film. Instead of saying anything witty or actually trying they consistently revert to dick and fart jokes, occasionally throwing a pussy joke in. All of them feel like something a 12 year old would laugh at.

What did you expect?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
The movie was pretty much what I thought it'd be. A Franco Rogan movie wasn't going to suddenly be a different beast. Had some laughs so it was worth a late night watch. Someone mentioned it before, but when Rogan is left on the mountain screaming "I packed like a goddamned fool" was probably the most memorable moment in the movie for me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Enimen interview is the best part of a movie with a lot of good parts. My gf and I were laughing pretty nonstop during the last 40 minutes or so. It reminded me of the first time I saw Pineapple Express while I was very very drunk and very very stoned and thought it was the best movie I had ever seen.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I watched this drunk off my rear end and got exactly what I wanted and expected. A Rogen/Franco farce that made me laugh all the way through it.

What kills me is that anyone would threaten terror over this movie. I feel like Sony should have called their bluff and if anything happened we just bomb them into the stone age like we do everyone else. Instead it's a "Columbia Pictures" release with Sony completely disavowing it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

precision posted:

The Enimen interview is the best part of a movie with a lot of good parts. My gf and I were laughing pretty nonstop during the last 40 minutes or so. It reminded me of the first time I saw Pineapple Express while I was very very drunk and very very stoned and thought it was the best movie I had ever seen.

It took me entirely too long to realize the parallels between the scuffle in the control room during the Eminem interview, and the fight during the Kim interview, down to the same starwipes.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

LloydDobler posted:

I watched this drunk off my rear end and got exactly what I wanted and expected. A Rogen/Franco farce that made me laugh all the way through it.

What kills me is that anyone would threaten terror over this movie. I feel like Sony should have called their bluff and if anything happened we just bomb them into the stone age like we do everyone else. Instead it's a "Columbia Pictures" release with Sony completely disavowing it.
Columbia Pictures is the banner under which every other non-Universal film from the Apatow crowd has been released, it has nothing to do with disavowing or whatever.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Coffee And Pie posted:

It took me entirely too long to realize the parallels between the scuffle in the control room during the Eminem interview, and the fight during the Kim interview, down to the same starwipes.

I'm actually going to have to rewatch the Interview, whoa.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Coffee And Pie posted:

We are different, but inside we all same same

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
That they got Eminem to do that scene was kind of amazing. The follow up gag with bald Rob Lowe was really weak by comparison.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Snowman_McK posted:

That they got Eminem to do that scene was kind of amazing. The follow up gag with bald Rob Lowe was really weak by comparison.

Man, no kidding. I wonder how many rappers they approached about doing that gag. Also, it appears that when Rob gets cut off all he says is "my name is rob and I'm bald." JGL loving on puppies is fun though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

That entire scene is an homage to a weird Al video which I sadly can't link from my phone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Franco was ridiculous throughout the whole thing but some of his deliveries were loving amazing.

"The tiger has night vision goggles????"

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Franco was ridiculous throughout the whole thing but some of his deliveries were loving amazing.

"The tiger has night vision goggles????"

"It's orange...with stripes. It's a big, orange, stripy dog" or whatever the line was was my favorite of the whole movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snowman_McK posted:

That they got Eminem to do that scene was kind of amazing.

Eminem has been known to be really chill in the past, like, decade or so. His music has gotten worse but by all accounts he's become a much more stable, humble, nice guy. More fuel for the "the best artists are assholes" caveat.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Clipperton posted:

"It's orange...with stripes. It's a big, orange, stripy dog" or whatever the line was was my favorite of the whole movie.

That's why this and Pineapple Express are the best James Franco roles. Him just playing utter idiots is the best. I'm glad Hollywood is no longer trying to cast him as a leading man.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

precision posted:

Eminem has been known to be really chill in the past, like, decade or so. His music has gotten worse but by all accounts he's become a much more stable, humble, nice guy. More fuel for the "the best artists are assholes" caveat.

That's not too surprising. He's someone where all his best work came from a really personal place. When the demons go, the music goes. The inverse would be people like Cypress Hill, who can keep being mediocre forever.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

feedmyleg posted:

That's why this and Pineapple Express are the best James Franco roles. Him just playing utter idiots is the best. I'm glad Hollywood is no longer trying to cast him as a leading man.

I'm glad they did at one point though.

The references to his Flyboys gun in This is The End were hilarious.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Snowman_McK posted:

That's not too surprising. He's someone where all his best work came from a really personal place.

Getting older and a lot richer probably didn't hurt either.

quote:

When the demons go, the music goes. The inverse would be people like Cypress Hill, who can keep being mediocre forever.

Cypress Hill still exists?

...Cypress Hill has existed sometime in the last 15 years?

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 29, 2015

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

One of the few good things from Funny People is Eminem chewing out Ray Romano. Plus Seth Rogen kills it at the end, "I thought everyone loved you?!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qWMjgpIECA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5yZns1lYWc

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Vintersorg posted:

One of the few good things from Funny People is Eminem chewing out Ray Romano. Plus Seth Rogen kills it at the end, "I thought everyone loved you?!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qWMjgpIECA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5yZns1lYWc

I feel like the bad parts of Funny People make people forget that there are some pretty good parts in it too. I really wish that movie was better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coffee And Pie posted:

I feel like the bad parts of Funny People make people forget that there are some pretty good parts in it too. I really wish that movie was better.

Well, nobody forced Apatow to make it longer than loving Apocalypse Now.

• Locked thread