Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Are notifications a one-way street? If you get a notification from an app, is there any way for that notification to be retracted if you take care of whatever the notification is for?

This has bugged me for years as is relates to email apps. I configure my email clients to send a notification when I receive a new email. If I go and read that email through the app (or from my computer etc...) I'd like the notification to be automatically cleared from my phone. As it is right now, notification stick around permanently until I manually clear them. It's annoying when I'm sitting at my work computer for a couple hours and receive a bunch of emails. I read/respond/delete/etc... all of them during that time. Then I check my phone and I have 20 notifications for new emails. I don't even know if it's possible to automatically remove these notifications when appropriate, let along if that's something that would need to be built into the app itself or if it's something native to Android/touchwiz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I'm currently using TypeMail with an exchange account pushing updates. I can't figure out a way to configure it to retract notifications. I used to use the native Samsung email app and I never found this sort of configuration either. I switched from the native app to TypeMail because apparently there is some buggy code in this version of Lollipop that causes exchange services to go nuts and burn through the battery. I just got a new s6, so I've been paying attention to the battery. Yesterday my screen was on for nearly 3 hours and only said it used like 10% of the battery. The exchange services had used 20+% and had a connection time of 6+ hours.

Edit: If there's no way to configure TypeMail or the Samsung email app to do this, does anyone have any suggestion for a good email (that can connect to exchange accounts) app that does?

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

WescottF1 posted:

If any of you have a Galaxy S6 through US Cellular, the 5.1.1 update is available as of today.

Awesome. Thank you very much for this info.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Email (exchange, gmail, and hotmail) is really starting to annoy me.

Originally I was using the stock samsung email app on my new s6. It was draining the battery pretty hard, so I tried setting up everything in gmail. I wasn't getting push notifications, so I disabled gmail and tried Typemail. I've been using Typemail for about a week, but it too eats up the battery. There has also been this generic sounding "Email sync" app that is using battery and using a bunch of background data.

Today I thought I'd try to fix some of these battery/data issues, so I uninstalled typemail. I removed my exchange account from settings -> accounts to prevent the stock email app from trying to do anything. I also restricted background data for that "Email sync" app, whatever that is. Now I've tried installing both Cloud Magic and AquaMail. Now I don't get any push notifications. I've tried restarting, wiping the cache partition, verifying sync settings etc..., but I'm not getting any push notifications.

Will multiple email apps interfere with each other? Do I need to have my exchange account listed on the account settings screen (independent of the actual AquaMail/etc... account)? This is so drat frustrating.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Use Nine for exchange email. It's the best.

I don't need all the features of Nine and I don't want to pay $10. And this seems like a core issue with my phone or Android, not the particular apps I'm using. I don't know if there's some setting somewhere that is screwing this up. I currently have Aquamail installed. When I select the Aquamail account in the settings->account screen and tell it to "sync now" it doesn't sync. I need to manually open the app and refresh the inbox to see the new email.

I've tried undoing the changes I made to restrict background data on different apps, but the problem is still there. I'm going to try re-adding the standalone exchange account and see if that fixes the problem.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I dunno, it's like 1/7 the cost of his phone and he gets to use it forever. Seems like kind of a lot!

You mean 1/70? And it's not the cost that really matters. It's the fact that it almost certainly won't work with the state of my phone right now. This is basic functionality that many email apps (including all the ones I'm trying) can do easily. Nine isn't consider the best because it's the only one that can push emails.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Everyone with Android having problems with Exchange seems unlikely. I'd guess it's your phone or your exchange server settings.

When I first got the phone and setup the stock email app, it worked fine. The problem is that it was a battery hog, so I went looking for something else. I eventually settled on TypeMail which, again, worked perfectly except for battery usage. Today I went looking for something that wouldn't consume so much battery (which might ultimately just be something I have to live with) and managed to mess up stuff. I really don't want to wipe my phone and start over, so I was hoping someone had any ideas about what might be going on. I don't know if it's background data settings, the standalone exchange account, or something else that has suddenly prevented emails from being pushed.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Why not just try the free trial? Also do you have some kind of greenify or task manager or something running? I bet you do and that's causing an issue. Undo all your setting changes or whatever, and then install Nine and try it.

Also, push mail, especially with exchange, is a battery hog, it's just the way it works.

I'll give the trial a shot.

I do not have any sort of task manager installed.

I just re-added an exchange activesync account (which caused the stock email app to be re-activated). The stock app seems to work perfectly, but AquaMail still wasn't working. Is it an issue to have two email apps both connecting to the same exchange account?

As for the battery, I never had this issue on previous phones. I've had an s2 and and s4 pushing exchange mail and it was never a real factor in battery usage. I don't know if it's a lollipop thing or something buggy with the s6, but each of the email apps I've tried have easily been the biggest battery user on this phone. They use far more battery than the screen. Either the s6 has a ridiculously efficient screen, the stock lollipop battery usage reporting is way off, or the exchange/push system on lollipop/s6 is terrible.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
So I tried to revert all the changes I made, readded my exchange account, and the stock email app started working. So then I installed Nine and it seems to be working well. I haven't spent much time looking at all the fancy settings, since I wasn't sure if I was going to keep it. After ~3 hours of use, it has yet to register on the battery usage. I will gladly pay the :10bux: if this works well and doesnt drain 15-20% of my battery every day.

Also, it retracts email notifications after I read the email on my computer (I know somebody else already said it would do this). This is an awesome feature and I wonder why no other apps (that I've tried) do this.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

This is so weird. I'm connected to the same Exchange server you are and haven't had any problems with battery in any email app. I'm on lollipop on a note 4. FWIW, Nine is totally worth it, and at least for me there's no battery drain with accepting push email. If Nine is also a big hog on your S6, you might try factory resetting the phone. Maybe there's something screwy with your install of Lollipop.

I think the real issue is that battery usage reporting in Lollipop and/or the s6 is hilariously bad. Yesterday, when I was loving around on my phone all day, the screen was on for almost 4 hours. At the end of the day, it said the screen had only used ~20% of the battery. Somehow I don't believe this phone would last for 20 hours with the screen on.

I've been using Nine for the past 22 hours and it works great. So far today (currently at 85%), the stock battery usage says Nine has used 4%, "email sync" has used 2%, and the screen has only used 1% (43 minutes). In Gsam, it says the screen is responsible for like 60% of the 15% that has been used and Nine is only responsible for like 1%.

And I'm kinda doubting something is wrong with the install of Lollipop. I got the phone less than two weeks ago and it came with Lollipop installed, I didn't have to update it. I did just update to 5.1 a couple days ago, but the goofy battery numbers were present both before and after installing that update.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I also have a Chromecast -> Youtube issue. With my S4, it always worked flawlessly. My brother-in-law's iPhone6 and Nexus6 also both worked perfectly. Now, with the S6, it won't let me play new videos. When I first start up youtube and send a video to the chromecast, everything works fine. However, if I find another video and attempt to play it, it simply restarts the original video that was playing. The title of the new video will flash on the screen for a second, but then it just switches back to the first video and plays that again. The only way I can get a new video to play is if I add it to the tv queue (rather than playing it directly) and then select/play it from the queue in the youtube app.

I don't think the problem is specific to the S6 or Lollipop as my brother-in-law's Nexus6 used to work fine (I'm pretty sure) and now has the same problem. Both of these phones are on 5.1, so I don't know if its a problem with 5.1 (he may have had 5.0 on the Nexus6 when it worked correctly) or if the youtube app is just currently buggy.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I've been super happy with my s6. Initially I thought I had some battery issues, but I think that was just lovely battery usage reporting. My battery life now is fantastic.

Other than that, the only real issue I've had is that the bluetooth is a little sketchy. When I connect to my car, music stutters for the first 10-15 seconds before it settles in and works perfectly. I get the same thing sometime when I connect to a bluetooth speaker. The last time I tried it in my wife's car, it was a complete mess and would constantly pause/resume every second for the first few minutes.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Shadowgate posted:

Is it laggy though? My Nexus 5 is really snappy and I would argue it's the perfect phone if it weren't for the tiny battery. My friend got a Note 4 recently and he complains about how laggy it is, even compared to his lovely old Nexus 4. I want to make sure the S6 isn't going to drive my crazy with UI lag and other Samsung fuckery.

The only other modern phone I've played with is a Nexus 6 and the s6 definitely feels faster.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I posted about this before, but now I have some more concrete info.

The bluetooth on my s6 is lovely. When I connect to my car or my bluetooth speaker to stream music, it's all choppy for the first 30-60 seconds after the bluetooth connection is established. After that, everything works fine. If I disconnect and reconnect, it is again choppy for the first 30-60 seconds before figuring its poo poo out. If I connect to my wife's car, it's extremely choppy (unlistenable) for the first couple minutes. Then it sorts itself out and mostly works fine (occasional choppiness every 5-10 minutes).

Yesterday I tested out my wife's s6, and bluetooth works perfectly with no stuttering. Both our phones are ~1 month old. If I take my phone into US Cellular, are they just going to make me try factory resetting the phone before they even consider that it might be a hardware problem? If I have to do this, is there any good way to backup settings/etc... for all my apps? I'm not looking forward to resetting and spending a couple hours redownloading/reconfiguring everything.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

I bricked my S3 trying to root it, took it back to the US Cellular store on Junction and Mineral Point, and they exchanged it immediately no questions asked. However, I understand that they've been reducing their on-site technical staff this year so you might get more hassle.

Now that I know you're on USC, I'd strongly recommend you check out teamuscellular's forums and chat. They have several insiders over there who are very helpful and are generally going to be more useful than here for USC-related stuff because, frankly, USC is a podunk regional carrier now :(

Yeah, I've been following teamuscellular for a few years. I suppose I could probably make an account and actually post something there.

I'm either going to have to reset my phone and set everything back up, or they'll give me a new phone and I'll need to set everything back up. I might as well just do it myself first so I don't have to deal with USC if I don't need to. So, is there any good way to backup/restore my settings after a system reset? I would think there would be a good way to do this since factory resetting seems to be one of the first troubleshooting techniques for a ton of problems.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Update on my US Cellular S6 bluetooth issues. After doing a factory reset, I think the ~30s of bluetooth stuttering is fixed. I tested in my car a couple times this morning and music played perfectly fine immediately after connecting. I got my phone about 5 weeks ago (5.0) and upgraded to 5.1 about 3 weeks ago. I never did a reset after upgrading to 5.1.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

What'd you end up doing as far as saving as much configuration as you could? My Note 4 has a similar issue where bluetooth audio will intermittently drop for a second or two, then play back really fast until it "catches up".

Not much. I just backed up contacts/pictures to google, remembered which apps I needed to redownloaded, and wiped the phone. I reinstalled/reconfigured everything this morning when I had a couple hours of downtime sitting in a big ol auditorium.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I may have spoken too soon on my bluetooth issues. When I reset my phone this morning, I'm pretty sure it worked perfectly in my car. After reconfiguring everything today, the problem had returned when I got in my car to leave work today. I tried uninstalling some apps/updates I downloaded and wiping the cache partition, but the problem remained.

So, now I'm wiping my phone again and I'm going to check each step of the way until I figure out what is causing the bluetooth problem (or it turns out that it is broken immediately after the reset, in which case it's a hardware issue).

e: I wiped the phone again and the problem went away, so I know it's not a hardware problem. After uninstalling/disabling the bloatware, everything still works fine. Now I'm going to go ahead and run the initial play store update of all the preinstalled apps and see if bluetooth still works. Then I'll go through and do all my settings configuration and check again. Then I'll go back and download/configure all my apps. This is going to take a while, but I should be able to nail down the cause of the problem.

e2: Everything is still good after updating all the stock apps

e3: I'm pretty sure the problem is with the Golf Pad app. Everything was working fine, then I installed the Golf Pad app (which needs bluetooth permission to install) and renamed the bluetooth device I was connecting to. When I restarted my phone and reconnected, I was getting the stuttering music issue. I uninstalled Golf Pad and restarted, but the problem remained. I also cleared bluetooth data/cache, and I am still experiencing the problem. It seems like Golf Pad messed up something with bluetooth and the change was not undone when Golf Pad was uninstalled.

Mr Executive fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 21, 2015

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

*notoriously big.

*infamously big

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
So is there something special that can be done to "super uninstall" an app? The Golf Pad app I installed messed up my bluetooth and uninstalling it didn't fix the problem. It seems like there is some setting/files laying around that are still causing problems.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Is there any way to turn off the app optimization notification I get like every day on my s6? Optimizing apps for better battery performance is great and all, but which mongoloid Samsung developer thought it was good idea to notify the user the every day, even when there is nothing for the user to do? It won't let me disable notifications for Smart Manager, so I don't know how to hide/prevent these worthless notifications.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

I have never once seen this on my S6 except for post update.

It seems to be a fairly common problem. You can find a bunch of forum posts online about this and nobody seems to have any sort of solution.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
The play/pause buttons on the Charter-issued universal remote that came with my cable box works to play/pause videos on the Chromecast (as long as I change the remote to the TV source). My TV does have DLNA, so maybe it's a bit smarter than some TVs and can interpret play/pause and actually apply them to the ChromeCast in the HDMI port. I was really surprised when I tried it and it magically worked. It also works (as you might expect) when streaming movies/etc... from my computer directly to the TV without ChromeCast.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
So I was in to my carrier store yesterday (US Cellular) to get a faulty sim card replaced. While I was there, they pitched me a deal that sounds decent. If you buy a new Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" and pay for it via monthly financing, it comes out to ~$27/month for 24 months. The "line" fee for 4G service is $5/month, bringing the monthly total to ~$32. If you also have a Galaxy s6 or have ordered an s7, you get a $20 discount on your monthly bill. I currently have an s6.

The end result is that I'd pay a grand total of ~$300 ($12 x 24) for a Tab S2 with 4G service for 24 months. Assuming this is all actually true and they weren't full of poo poo (that's a big assumption), is there any reason I shouldn't jump on this deal? I don't see myself as a big tablet user, but my wife loved her old Samsung tablet and has been talking about wanting a newer one. $300 sounds pretty great for a high(er) end tablet with 4G service.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Is there any real way to block popups/ads in android chrome like you can on the desktop? Preferably without rooting.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

docbeard posted:

As I understand it, Firefox mobile lets you use uBlock. That's probably your only non root option.

Syrinxx posted:

Use Firefox, get AdBlock or uBlock addon

Goddamnit. I finally bit the bullet like a year ago and stopped using Firefox in favor of Chrome on my phone and computer. I'm ok with rooting my phone if it's still easy (I have an s6 and I remember being super easy to root my s4). Does that change anything? Can I get real ad/popup blocking in Chrome if I root?

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
What's the best free app for backing up everything before performing a factory reset?

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I hear notification sounds through the external speaker on my s6 (marshmallow), even when headphones are plugged in. Is this a Samsung and/or Android bug? I don't know a scenario in which you'd be listening to some sort of media via headphones and want notification sounds to go through the phone speaker.

I feel like this is a new issue since I updated to marshmallow a couple weeks ago. I'm not positive, but I feel like I would have noticed sooner. Now I'm getting paranoid that I've been the rear end in a top hat in a quiet room listening to music while email/text/messenger notifications are going off for the past several months.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

DemonMage posted:

That's a Samsung feature. Android will play your incoming call sound through the speakers too, but not random notifications.

This seems really dumb, for both Samsung and Android in general. Is there a fix? If not, is there a recommended app for straightening out this bullshit? I don't need all sorts of configurability for DND etc... I just want to be able to send all sounds through the headphones when connected. I can't imagine this isn't the desired behavior for like 95%+ of users.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Is there a good app that will auto login to public WiFi I've signed into? I'd be willing to buy an app if it worked well since I'm on Fi and it might save me a couple dollars a month.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I think the intent is for something that will auto click through a captive portal which the pixel will not do.

The Pixel/Nexus devices will auto connect to open wifi networks and use a Google VPN to secure the connection. They have to be fully open though. No click through, no registration.

Yeah, this is what I was asking for.

Thanks, I'll give this a shot.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
FYI, assistant on the Pixel won't make an audible chirp when it's listening if your media volume is muted. I cast most of my music/tv/etc, so I didn't realize my media volume was muted for a long time and it was annoying.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I have Google WiFi (3 pucks) and my wife and I both have OG Pixels. We also have 3 Vizio Smartcast devices (basically discount Sonos with built in Chromecast). There are also 3 chromecasts in the house. Lately I've been able to reliably reproduce the following issue:

-cast audio to the Vizio "home group" using Android audio mirroring (rather than the casting available within many apps) or Windows Chrome audio mirroring
-wake up one of our phones (doesn't matter which one is actually streaming or if it's a PC that's streaming)
-immediate static/distortion/etc for a solid 3-5 seconds before "stabilizing" and working fine again

I can do this repeatedly. This doesn't happen if the casting is being done via the actual cast functionality in Spotify/podcast apps/etc... Without doing any real research, I'm guessing that normal casting involves some sort of buffering whereas the audio mirroring is more on-the-fly. When a phone is awoken, it jack's up the wifi briefly, but you don't notice if doing normal casting.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Has something changed recently in regards to how apps are managed/closed by Android (Pixel 1, 8.1, 1/5/18 patch, Fi)?

For the past year+ I've been using a combination of Spotify and podcasting apps (current Pocket Casts) to listen to stuff via headphones, bluetooth in my car, and a group of 3 Vizio chromecast-enabled speakers. All apps I've used, to varying degrees, have been pretty flaky when it comes to transitioning from one network to another (for example, when I drive home from work and my phone connects to wifi). Often times, even after being connected to wifi for several minutes etc, Spotify/etc... isn't able to see any of the "castable" devices. Similarly, I'll be playing something at home and my phone will desynchronize and will be unable to reconnect to the devices that are playing.

In the past I've been able to ignore these sorts of issues because there were easy workarounds. In general, if I used the square button and closed the Spotify/all/etc app and then reopened it, things refreshed and everything would work perfectly. This trick doesn't seem to work anymore.

Pocket Casts, in particular, is unkillable. Although it's generally more stable than Spotify, it sometimes has some of the same problems. However, the player-control notification can't be dismissed from the notification tray, even if you've killed the app. When you start Pocket Casts back up, it resumes its broken/frozen state. Last night I was only able to fix things by restarting my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
The microphone on my wife's OG Pixel cuts out randomly and starts working again after a reboot. Is this a recall-type thing were Google might still replace the phone even though it's a good 6 months out of warranty?