Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GBK
Jul 22, 2006

The Gummy Bear King!!!
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but the Moto X 2014 is on sale on the official Motorola webpage for 300$ (no contract obviously). Seems like a decent deal. Just in time for their surprise announcement on July 28th. Phone dump + witty surprise announcement = next gen Moto phones are coming soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

GBK posted:

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but the Moto X 2014 is on sale on the official Motorola webpage for 300$ (no contract obviously). Seems like a decent deal. Just in time for their surprise announcement on July 28th. Phone dump + witty surprise announcement = next gen Moto phones are coming soon.

FYI, like new Verizon models were on eBay for $200 the past day or two from a reputable seller. They're GSM unlocked and have most (all?) of the bands for AT&T and T-Mobile.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't know what this means but it sounds like it's something that is going to kill you when your airbag goes off.

Air... bag? You overestimate my vehicle's safety. What I mean is instead of putting the mount between the door and the steering wheel, just put it on the other side toward the middle of the car. If the device, or device and mount manage to escape through the window from near the middle of the car it's probably the least of your worries.

I had a few seconds to do the research to grab a couple of URLs.

If ensuring your tablet / phone is secure is the main concern, as far as I know these brands are pretty good.

http://www.rammount.com/
http://www.arkon.com/

I'm probably going to go for an Arkon because a Ram is bordering on overkill for my uses, but haven't purchased yet because the layout of my vehicle is a nightmare for adding any extra hardware. I've also found both suction and adhesive mounts tend to drop off during the hotter months so anything will have to be hard mounted.

e: The LOVE MEI case for my Desire 820 just arrived. It is a solid piece of work.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 17, 2015

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I'm about to lose my mind with my Moto X (2013). Is the Nexus 6 a decent buy at $450? Or at this point should I tough it out until October and hopefully get something with a fingerprint reader/new features?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

IuniusBrutus posted:

I'm about to lose my mind with my Moto X (2013). Is the Nexus 6 a decent buy at $450? Or at this point should I tough it out until October and hopefully get something with a fingerprint reader/new features?

The S6 has both of those things.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr Executive posted:

I posted about this before, but now I have some more concrete info.

The bluetooth on my s6 is lovely. When I connect to my car or my bluetooth speaker to stream music, it's all choppy for the first 30-60 seconds after the bluetooth connection is established. After that, everything works fine. If I disconnect and reconnect, it is again choppy for the first 30-60 seconds before figuring its poo poo out. If I connect to my wife's car, it's extremely choppy (unlistenable) for the first couple minutes. Then it sorts itself out and mostly works fine (occasional choppiness every 5-10 minutes).

Yesterday I tested out my wife's s6, and bluetooth works perfectly with no stuttering. Both our phones are ~1 month old. If I take my phone into US Cellular, are they just going to make me try factory resetting the phone before they even consider that it might be a hardware problem? If I have to do this, is there any good way to backup settings/etc... for all my apps? I'm not looking forward to resetting and spending a couple hours redownloading/reconfiguring everything.

I bricked my S3 trying to root it, took it back to the US Cellular store on Junction and Mineral Point, and they exchanged it immediately no questions asked. However, I understand that they've been reducing their on-site technical staff this year so you might get more hassle.

Now that I know you're on USC, I'd strongly recommend you check out teamuscellular's forums and chat. They have several insiders over there who are very helpful and are generally going to be more useful than here for USC-related stuff because, frankly, USC is a podunk regional carrier now :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

IuniusBrutus posted:

Look for a 2015 MotoX announcement before the month is up, or wait until oct/november for the next Nexus.

Whats your issue with your 2013 MotoX?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

The 2015 Motos will be announced on the 24th and new Nexuses (likely a 5" and a 6") will probably be available in November.

Obviously I'd avoid the Samsung.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I bricked my S3 trying to root it, took it back to the US Cellular store on Junction and Mineral Point, and they exchanged it immediately no questions asked. However, I understand that they've been reducing their on-site technical staff this year so you might get more hassle.

Now that I know you're on USC, I'd strongly recommend you check out teamuscellular's forums and chat. They have several insiders over there who are very helpful and are generally going to be more useful than here for USC-related stuff because, frankly, USC is a podunk regional carrier now :(

Yeah, I've been following teamuscellular for a few years. I suppose I could probably make an account and actually post something there.

I'm either going to have to reset my phone and set everything back up, or they'll give me a new phone and I'll need to set everything back up. I might as well just do it myself first so I don't have to deal with USC if I don't need to. So, is there any good way to backup/restore my settings after a system reset? I would think there would be a good way to do this since factory resetting seems to be one of the first troubleshooting techniques for a ton of problems.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr Executive posted:

Yeah, I've been following teamuscellular for a few years. I suppose I could probably make an account and actually post something there.

I'm either going to have to reset my phone and set everything back up, or they'll give me a new phone and I'll need to set everything back up. I might as well just do it myself first so I don't have to deal with USC if I don't need to. So, is there any good way to backup/restore my settings after a system reset? I would think there would be a good way to do this since factory resetting seems to be one of the first troubleshooting techniques for a ton of problems.

You can try Helium, but it might not get everything. If you're rooted, you can make an image of your storage or use titanium backup. Sadly, Google hasn't really provided a comprehensive backup and restore method.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Sadly, Google hasn't really provided a comprehensive backup and restore method.

They say they have in Android M. :shrug:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

LastInLine posted:

They do.
And while it's not perfect it's a hell of a lot better than before.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Look for a 2015 MotoX announcement before the month is up, or wait until oct/november for the next Nexus.

Whats your issue with your 2013 MotoX?

Bluetooth is borderline broken and general bugginess and instability. Though who knows, maybe that is just Android and I've never realized it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

IuniusBrutus posted:

Bluetooth is borderline broken and general bugginess and instability. Though who knows, maybe that is just Android and I've never realized it.

For a long time I thought my 14 Moto X had lovely Bluetooth.

Then I got a new head unit in my vehicle and all my problems went away.

edit: poo poo, I put '14. It's a 2013 Moto X.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 17, 2015

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Thermopyle posted:

For a long time I thought my 14 Moto X had lovely Bluetooth.

Then I got a new head unit in my vehicle and all my problems went away.

Same here, the Kinovo Bluetooth pucks are a god send

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

uPen posted:

The S6 has both of those things.
It also runs like a horse in quicksand after a few hours.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

ilkhan posted:

They do.
And while it's not perfect it's a hell of a lot better than before.
This was in Lollipop:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...ecific-devices/

When I installed the M Preview it just booted up as if I'd never owned a phone before and restored nothing. But I put that down to pre-release software.

Edit: Oh there's supposed to be that new auto-data-backup thing in M, right. I guess that will make it better at restoring, assuming it works:
https://developer.android.com/preview/backup/index.html

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 17, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lollipop app restore is hilariously broken in that Google doesn't prioritize Play Services above everything else when reinstalling apps. So, if any app requires the latest and greatest play services, it will refuse to install or update. So, no matter what, you'll still be stuck going back and re-installing apps manually.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Does the thread hive mind have any opinions on the fair phone?

http://shop.fairphone.com/fairphone2.html

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Skeesix posted:

In my opinion is kinda expensive and I heard nothing about it. For that price you can get better stuff in Europe.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Guillermus posted:

In my opinion is kinda expensive and I heard nothing about it. For that price you can get better stuff in Europe.
It's expensive because it isn't made by slaves. That seems to be the entire concept.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Skeesix posted:

Battery life looks like it might be underwhelming along with apparently a subpar camera, I do think it's cool that it's a relatively ethically made phone though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tunga posted:

It's expensive because it isn't made by slaves. That seems to be the entire concept.

It's also pretty much a gimmick when you are using mainstream components.

Yeah, maybe final assembly isn't being done by Foxconn in china, but you can be drat sure that Qualcomm SoC or the the display doesn't have an unsullied history.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Battery life looks like it might be underwhelming along with apparently a subpar camera, I do think it's cool that it's a relatively ethically made phone though.

My assessment also. The rest of it will be a serviceable if middling device.

The question I guess is if the ethos of the phone is worth the value difference of €530 for this phone which will (hopefully) begin shipping in November in comparison to the Moto X 2014
which at least in my country is ~€200 less right now and with slightly better specs (same processor, RAM).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Magog posted:

My assessment also. The rest of it will be a serviceable if middling device.

The question I guess is if the ethos of the phone is worth the value difference of €530 for this phone which will (hopefully) begin shipping in November in comparison to the Moto X 2014, which at least in my country is ~€200 less right now and with slightly better specs (same processor, RAM).

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, maybe final assembly isn't being done by Foxconn in china, but you can be drat sure that Qualcomm SoC or the the display doesn't have an unsullied history.

The answer is no, unfortunately.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

datajosh posted:

It also runs like a horse in quicksand after a few hours.

Not my experience but I don't watch anime all day on it so I dunno

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

RVProfootballer posted:

If you're morally opposed to the working conditions or whatever of people building the components and the phone, it's a pretty weird place to be in to say "I'm only willing to pay extra for a phone that is 100%-free of these working conditions, not 50%!".

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

RVProfootballer posted:

Yep, I'm pretty sure this phone was made in society!

If you want to support the general idea then go for it - nothing whatsoever is free from exploitation, so it's about relative harm and the idea of finding more ethical sources for stuff the world needs. It only looks like a small project so it's obviously not going to change the world by itself, but it could still be a cool thing to be involved in

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

If you're morally opposed to the working conditions or whatever of people building the components and the phone, it's a pretty weird place to be in to say "I'm only willing to pay extra for a phone that is 100%-free of these working conditions, not 50%!".

I think bull is right that the vast majority of workers that contributed to making the Fairphone are in identical conditions as workers making any other phone. So my made up numbers would be more like buying a phone that is 52% free of poor working conditions, not 50%! Which, fair enough, that might be worth it to you. Also I just read this, which is completely unrelated to phones, but a really interesting read :)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those with the LG G4, how you liking it?

T-Mobile just dropped their LG G4 price to $479. Very tempting...

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Can anything interesting be done with old Android phones? I have a Nexus One sitting on my desk gathering dust and it's such an interesting piece of history and a handsome looking device that it seems wasteful not to use it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Casting

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

TopherCStone posted:

Can anything interesting be done with old Android phones? I have a Nexus One sitting on my desk gathering dust and it's such an interesting piece of history and a handsome looking device that it seems wasteful not to use it.

Install Perk TV and just use it to cycle through adds. If you need more info, PM me, I don't want to get into referral talk in this thread.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I finally decided to get the cracked screen on my S6 Edge fixed, because it was starting to register random touches. While it's off being repaired I've been using my old N5 for almost a week now, and to be honest I prefer it to the S6 overall. Mostly due to small changes Samsung made to lollipop that annoyed me more and more as time went on. Random example: On stock Lollipop, double-tapping a notification on the lockscreen instantly opens that app. Compared to Touchwiz Lollipop on the S6 where you tap the notification, swipe to unlock, then wait a few seconds for the app to launch. Why would Samsung remove the double-tap to open? Touchwiz is a lot better than it used to be, but it's still full of seemingly pointless and detracting changes like that. To be fair though, I probably wouldn't care so much if I wasn't so familiar with stock android.

The only thing I really miss from the S6 is the battery life, and maybe the screen a bit. I think I might just sell the repaired S6 and wait to see what the new Motos and Nexus end up like. You tried to warn me Android thread, but I ignored you and got myself Samsunged.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

RVProfootballer posted:

I think bull is right that the vast majority of workers that contributed to making the Fairphone are in identical conditions as workers making any other phone. So my made up numbers would be more like buying a phone that is 52% free of poor working conditions, not 50%! Which, fair enough, that might be worth it to you. Also I just read this, which is completely unrelated to phones, but a really interesting read :)

I like how that article goes 'heh things have changed since the 90s Naomi Klein' and then goes on to describe the exact same situation as in No Logo, corporations outsourcing with a chain of subcontractors saying 'we didn't hire that last company how could we know what they were doing?!' When your goal is to make products as cheap as possible, this is what you get. The problem is allowing the production chain to co-opt ethical consumerism as a distraction from how they operate, so the underlying systemic issue is never really addressed at all. Like when libertarians talk about private charity being a 'solution' to inequality - it's bullshit but it doesn't mean charity isn't worthwhile while the problem it addresses still exists

Who knows what the deal is with the phone, but there's nothing wrong with the concept of trying to be less exploitative instead of as cheap as possible. There's only so much you can do obviously

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Bull didn't say that.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Bull didn't say that.

bull3964 posted:

lol you got me, I really misrepresented what he said

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

My phone is powered by a fair-trade Snapdragon 801, with a GMO-free certified organic LED screen. I'm bummed about the battery life but that's a tradeoff when you use gluten-free lithium polymer.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Ebay has the first gen Verizon Moto X for $100 today

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-XT...=item33a35606bb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

Bull didn't say that.

I admit my response was a bit cynical. It's hard not to be though.

The real question is how good of a phone will it be? Using as ethical means as possible for production is all well and good, but if you are going to end up relegating it to a junk drawer and buying and S6 anyways when it doesn't work out for you, nothing was really helped. So, caution is warranted.