Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Is this where I can ask for grip tape application advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nexus 6 wireless charging with the official Nexus charger...anyone had any luck? It's an incredible tiny charging spot I can never seem to hit and only seems to work without a case on :( Nexus 5 had no such issues, with a case.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

I hope you don't have a Tylt Vu. :(

BTW my N6 just arrived in Richmond. Painful....

Nah, this one:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nerve posted:

Try putting the bottom of your phone more over the center of the pad. That's how I get my non-Vu charger to work

Ah hah, I can get it to work without a case like that, it seems like a very very very tiny sensitive spot where it works. I can't get it to work with the Diztronic case unfortunately like I could on the Nexus 5, this would be lovely and basically useless if I have to take the case off to charge.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nerve posted:

charges through a Diztronic TPU case on a N6.

It looks like I'll have to get a new wireless charger and this is the key part for me, thanks!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

r0ck0 posted:

My nexus 5 after a year would only get about 2 hours of screen on time before dying. I called google support and they offered to replace it free of charge, free shipping both ways. If you have a nexus under warranty and its close to a year old you might want to exchange it. My new phone is not a refurb as far as I can tell and the battery life is back to normal.

Didn't they stop producing and selling them? Replacements have to be refurbs at this point.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nexus 6 battery life is the best I've ever had on a phone, and I love the placement of the headphone jack!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

dissss posted:

Nah the Nexus is quite a lot thicker and a lot wider

It's <3mm thicker and 5mm wider. Are we actually counting that as a "lot" in this day and age?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

Agreed. I have so much damage around my Note 3 port from trying to jam in the plug.

Tech nerd heaven right now

It charges through a case okay? Was thinking of picking one up, as my Nexus 5 Qi charger is useless now as it doesn't charge through a case on the Nexus 6.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nerve posted:

I have the same phone and case as you. My phone charges fine on both of my Tylt Vu's

Nice, gonna pick one up!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Except for the whole memory leaks causing crashes as well as notifications you can't click. I love my Nexus 6...

What memory leak? That's a Nexus 5 issue, isn't it? My Nexus 6 has over a week of uptime right now and zero issues.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Goddammit why is the back button on the wrong side

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I would argue that Lollipop isn't really released and 'final' for any device yet.

There's been some evidence (people getting new devices and not being prompted to update to the latest) that all current OTAs are pulled and are awaiting 5.0.3.

This would make sense, my mom's Nexus 5 is still stuck on 4.x, no prompt for update to Lollipop still. I figured it had been pulled.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Man, I guess I'm a minority, but I absolutely love Lollipop and the Nexus 6 is easily the best phone I've ever owned.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's different.

No, it's this:

Shadowgate posted:

Try casting a video to a chromecast and then adjusting the volume of media on your device. It can't be done, you have to disconnect the chromecast first, and then adjust the media volume. Terrible design that was clearly never tested.

I discovered it when I tried to silence my phone while I had Play Music paused, I literally could not do it. Had to swipe away the Play controls in the notification tray, only then did my volume rocker stop controlling my music volume.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyone know good place to pick up a Nexus 5? I'm thinking Amazon since I have a few gift cards but not sure.

If you're in Canada, carriers still have it all over the place.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Stoat posted:

NExus 6 (and 5? Or maybe all Lollipop users?) what is the deal with taking photos at night? The phone tells me to move it upwards slowly but if I move it up at all it says I did it too fast. Is there no regular "just take the drat picture" mode?

Uh, you're in the Lens Blur mode. Swipe in from the left and tap "Camera".

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sounds like we have bigger hands than you scrubs :smug:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

Contacts and stuff, sure, whatever, but I'm talking about storage. When you're in an area where you have no service (happens to me often because I have a lot of family that lives in bumfuck nowhere) suddenly you can't access any of your... anything. Sounds very convenient. Call me a luddite, but I'd rather actually have everything that I want to have.

You can keep local copies of everything on your phone, you're not dependent on data. Dropbox will sync, Google Play Music you can pin songs or albums or playlists, you can set gmail to sync last 30 days locally, etc etc.

You have a very old man view on THE CLOUD.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

So then we're back to the start, because you're still dependent on the amount of physical data that your phone can hold. 64 GB? That's cute. I'll be over here with my phone that can hold three times as much.

My Nexus 6 is 32GB, and that's more than enough space to hold everything I want when I'm in areas with lovely data and no wifi. Even in a lot of areas I only have 3G, things like Play Music can still stream just fine. I don't need to carry every song ever made with me, just pin a couple playlists then update or change those when I'm back in a "data area". You're being extremely hyperbolic and unrealistic!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

If you seriously can't think of more than 32GB (actually even less because of the OS) of stuff to keep on your phone then what are you even doing with a phone

Please don't troll.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

That is exactly what I am saying. Why would you buy a phone with worse/no features for the same amount of money? The only compelling thing there ever was about Nexus phones was the mid-high level hardware for a cheap price, but $700 for a Nexus 6 is pointless when you can get a much better phone for that much.

Same can be said for using an external battery, only now you have a gigantic thing dangling from your phone? I just don't understand what your point is.

Touchwiz isn't even that bad anymore. Just have to uninstall/disable the Samsung apps.

I used my friends Note 4 for a bit before I decided on the Nexus 6, and hated Touchwiz, it's ugly as sin and looks bloated and crowded. I also have another phone for work with an SD slot and removable battery, and have never even had a desire to use either. It's almost like people want different things and you're being really stupid.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Surprise T Rex posted:

Anyone have any idea why I have an app called '-10426' using almost 100mb of data according to my data usage screen?

Unrooted Moto X 2013.

I think it was there under a different number not long ago, too.

I've heard of this before, never experienced it myself, but could it be historical data usage for an app you've uninstalled recently?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

What I really meant is that relying on the cloud, like Google pretty clearly wants you to, what with not including a basic loving feature like expandable storage, was stupid, not so much the cloud itself. I highly value my contacts instantly swapping onto any phone I sign into my Google account on, but that's a far cry from trusting Google with literally all of your information.

What would you say if Microsoft released a new version of Windows that wouldn't allow you to install any hard drives of your own in your PC, but that's okay because you can just use their *cloud servers* to store all of your information? Is that the future? gently caress that.

vv Christ, way to miss the point. I'm done.

Show us on the cloud where the cloud touched you.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Boogle posted:

Anyone have suggestions for a decent Nexus 6 case and/or screen protector? I don't want to butter finger my fancy new smartphone into an expensive paperweight.

http://www.amazon.com/Diztronic-Matte-Flexible-Motorola-Nexus/dp/B00PYKPX8U

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Muzei is a really nice wallpaper app if you're into static images.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Flat Daddy posted:

i put cynagoen mod on because with stock OS I pocket-dialed 911 multiple times

That makes sense.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

What's the 2-month-out opinion on the Nexus 6? Kicking around the idea of getting one.

I'm sure you'll get every opinion under the sun here, but I love mine. It's a huge improvement from my Nexus 5, and I don't know if I could get a "normal" sized phone again after getting used to the size of it, it rules. It's also the loudest goddamn phone I've ever used.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

I've read that turbo charging is actually super bad for the battery so it's probably best to not use it unless you really need it.

Where did you read this? Quick charging is actually an integral part of some phones: https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/quick-charge

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Would it not be possible to switch to Google Voice for your voicemail or is that not available in Canada?

It's not.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Get a Blackberry Q series which has a keyboard and can emulate Androi-ahahahahahhahahahaha

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Goddammit the Lollipop poo poo where I can't silence/change my notification volume while in the Hangouts app is really starting to piss me off (it just adjusts in-call volume if I touch the up/down buttons while in the app).

vvvv Well poo poo, sorry Google, I was wrong :shobon:

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 3, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Was Lollipop not supposed to bring good improvements in battery life?

To my knowledge, 5.0 introduced 2 major things:

-Battery saver mode, when your battery gets very low it switches off radios and stuff which reduces power consumption
-New scheduling API (this is the thing they called Project Volta) to reduce wakelocks or something, it synchronizes when various apps do their polling which reduces active CPU time. However, this is up to app developers to take advantage of

So not direct power savings, but these are the 2 things I was aware of related to battery life improvements.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I don't think the N6 is much of an upgrade over the N5 if the size isn't your main goal. Side by side an unencrypted N5 is faster than the N6 (which comes encrypted by default).

Speaking of that, is Google even doing anything about this mess of an encryption system on the N6?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ruby idiot railed posted:

Speaking of Tylt Vu the car charger is finally out (only available in gray pad so far, the other colors aren't out yet). I'm getting one because the iOttie wireless charger mount clips aren't wide and deep enough for my Note4 w/ case.

I don't really like the base of the mount, but hopefully if the pad isn't as good as the iOttie's and it's a standard ball thing I'll just use one of my iOttie bases.

Someone with a Nexus 6 get this and tell me if it works if you leave a case on your phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

Considering the Vu works fine I'm sure it would too?

That make sense, ok. I've been looking for a new car holder and this one caught my eye but I'll be damned if I have to take my phone out of the case every time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nerve posted:

My Vu Car should be here next week, I'll be testing with a N6+Diztronic TPU

You're me, so your test is very important to me. Thanks!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I guess it's a good thing regular people don't buy Nexuses.

Excuse me I'm very regular.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Facebook messenger

Facebook Messenger is an enormous pile of poo poo that keeps the CPU on my N6 running constantly, draining the battery and heating the phone up. Dump it and use the website for messaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'll wait for confirmation before I reinstall, since it was so aggravating, but thanks for that link!