Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Battery Stats are complete poo poo with kitkat, is there an app that will fill my need to figure out why my battery sucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Tunga posted:

Accessing battery stats requires root as of KitKat. If you have that you can use BetterBatteryStats or GSam Battery Monitor.

I'm not averse to that so I guess I'll go that route. On a sidenote, has Tasker become unreliable for anyone else in Lollipop?

I have a profile that simply toggles Wifi when I'm in the vicinity of work/home and I always have problems with it turning on, never off. GPS is turned on and it was working fine in KitKat.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Does the Wifi usage stay on with Lollipop for anyone else? I turn off Wifi and it still shows as being used, I have it turned off for Location too so it's not being randomly turned on by that. It's in continuous usage.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Please just stop turning off wifi. It doesn't kill your battery, it doesn't do anything except work as it should for location features. I know it's tough to accept given where Android came from but seriously freeing yourself from janitoring this will only make your life better. Just turn off notifications for unknown access points and enjoy some freedom from micromanaging. I did it in the Gingerbread to ICS changeover and don't miss it at all. My wife waited until KitKat to Lollipop to do it and I can assure you it's just nice to forget that this was ever an issue.

I guess I'll just leave it on, I've been having battery issues since upgrading to Lollipop (did a clean wipe) so I'm checking everything I can. Battery stats are useless so I'm going to root and use BetterBatteryStats instead.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

r0ck0 posted:

My nexus 5 after a year would only get about 2 hours of screen on time before dying. I called google support and they offered to replace it free of charge, free shipping both ways. If you have a nexus under warranty and its close to a year old you might want to exchange it. My new phone is not a refurb as far as I can tell and the battery life is back to normal.

I bought mine release day so it's out of warranty :(

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

It isn't really worth it for me as I bought my nexus 5 in the states and have since moved to Germany. From what I know you have to send it to the warranty center in the country from which you bought it.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Well let's see if we can't do a little tracking. How bad are we talking? Screen-on time? Signal?

When did the problems start? Did it coincide with the move to Germany or is this more recent? Are there good days and bad days or is it consistently bad?

When you set up it post-wipe did you make any changes in way you had the device set up? You must've done very little restoration since you're not rooted so at least we can run through a few scenarios. If you're thinking it's the battery you could always try returning to KitKat and seeing if the problems go away. I know it would be a pain without another device to use but you could try a fresh 5.0.1 image without any apps to see if the problem remains.

I can't help but think though that we're looking for an app (perhaps one that doesn't like something about Lollipop?) instead of a hardware or system issue.

The signal is generally pretty good and I use it primarily on Wifi, not sure about the screen time though but it's not continuous. The problem started after throwing Lollipop on there, I should mention that my wife used this phone for about 2 months while I got hers fixed (and she can be a bit abusive with the battery but it seemed fine while it was on Kitkat for a couple days).

The bulk of the customization I did after wiping was to transfer my settings via NFC from my S5 (during initial setup this is an option). I do agree it's an app issue, I just can't figure out which app since the battery stats are really inconsistent with Lollipop. I'm going to use BBS today and see if that can pinpoint anything.

r0ck0 posted:

You could also buy a new battery and replace it yourself.

http://www.amazon.de/Akku-intern-BL-T9-Google-Nexus/dp/B00HYN1QIG/

I've considered this but from prior experience it's better to go OEM with the batteries.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Anyone have an issue with double notifications from Whatsapp via Lightflow on Marshmallow?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

horchata posted:

Dumb question, I came from an iPhone and when I would try to type something into the chrome address bar I would get a ".com" and "/" button shortcut. I moved over to the Nexus 5x and those button shortcuts don't exist. Is there something I'm missing in the settings to add this feature? The shortcuts also exist on my Nexus 9 and I didn't do anything special to that. Am I just being stupid?

What keyboard are you using? Might be using a different one on the Nexus 9.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

For the last few days something has been turning on my phones screen every 5-10 seconds when it's charging. How can I figure out what's doing it?

Edit: Ran logcat while it woke, no idea what I'm looking for. snippet

Ashex fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 26, 2015

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

repiv posted:

code:
ActivityManager: Scheduling restart of crashed service com.google.android.GoogleCamera/com.android.camera.NoOpPrewarmService in 1000ms
Maybe this? Shows up 7 times in your log at ~10 second intervals.

Are you running a custom ROM with a hacked together camera driver?

Nope, I'm running stock with Xposed. Only module I'm using is Snapprefs too :/

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

LastInLine posted:

It looks like a bad cable is saying the phone is intermittently connected to power. Look around lines 1000-1100 and you'll see the charge state change from charging to not and the display turn on accordingly.

I don't think it's the cable as it happens with any cable/charger.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Well you probably shouldn't rule out a Snapchat based module crashing your camera service.

That's a good point, I'll disable the module and see what happens.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Stand back, it's another bitch fest about the lack of small phones. My partner is ditching her iPhone SE for android and finding something even remotely the same size is proving to be a PITA. All we want is a smallish phone with a headphone jack. My OnePlus 3 is just a tad big for her so we hunted around and The XZ2 Compact looked great except for the lack of headphone jack, then we found the Nokia 8 Sirocco but once again no headphone jack.

The Nokia 8 looks nice but the camera seems poo poo so we started looking around more and welp, Samsung doesn't do the minis anymore. S7 looks nice but it's old as gently caress so updates will probably stop any day.

I suppose a jack adapter would be fine but we're trying to avoid that. Where do we find these fabled small phones with fast processors and headphone jacks?

The XZ1 Compact is on the Android Enterprise Recommended list so I suppose we'll go with that since it'll hopefully at least get security updates for a couple more years.

https://www.android.com/enterprise/recommended/

Ashex fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

XZ2 Compact is like the same size as an iPhone 7 which is like as small as phones get these days

Ay, I was really digging the compact so we chose the XZ1. I'll probably go for the XZ2 or Sirocco when my OP3 kicks the bucket (which unfortunately isn't happening anytime soon).