Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hi I'm probably going to buy a Pixel in a couple weeks depending on what Verizon tells me about keeping my current plan because I still technically have an upgrade in march but my contract ended six months ago, this is surprising because my last android phone was a galaxy nexus that bricked itself for no apparent reason so I went to apple like three years ago, the pixel looks pretty goddamn sweet though, well that's my story hope you liked it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Does Android support having custom vibe patterns for different apps slash contacts? I've gotten kinda used to having one for emails, one for most texts, and one for certain people

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

myron cope posted:

I got a work phone the other day and it's an iPhone SE and holy poo poo how can anyone use a phone that small. Granted I am coming from a Nexus 6 so the size difference is even more pronounced but it just feels like a child's toy.

Still a fairly nice phone, but so tiny.

(I get that some people want smaller phones and that's fine but the SE size is crazy)

I miss my iPhone 5 and that sized phone being a Thing like you wouldn't believe

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

sleepwalkers posted:

Am I crazy in not particularly caring that much about the whole Verizon Pixel update thing? If Google does the legwork in developing updates for the phones for the next two years as they've said they would, I'd expect Verizon to eventually roll those out.
Also I'd be curious to see if that bootloader does end up getting unlocked by XDA eventually.

verizon has to approve apple updates and there's no issue with those afaik

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bull3964 posted:

Google could have posted the updates if they wanted to. I think the real issue was due to it being LTE and Samsung not being able write a radio baseband to save their life.

The vzw GNex might as well as been a completely different device. Hell, it was even a different size from the GSM version.

What

Cite please, I had that phone on VZW (my first smart phone and last android phone until the Pixel ships because it liked to brick itself for some reason) and I don't remember that at all

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Thermopyle posted:

The fact that there was a "Nexus" device that was slow to receive updates and had different hardware was a big deal in the Android threads here at the time.

I remember the slow to update part, I just didn't remember the hardware part. Probably because I didn't give a poo poo at the time if I was aware of it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm super excited for the Pixel and will probably shove mine straight into my anus so I can be as close to it as possible

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The Pixel looks like a decently solid phone with an over hyped camera

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CLAM DOWN posted:

The camera does look pretty good to be fair

Yeah but the stuff I've read is all like THIS CAMERA WILL SUCK YOUR DICK AND PUT A FINGER IN YOUR rear end

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'll take over for you, you beautiful bastard, I'm getting a Pixel! Having a phone longer than 6 months makes me uncomfortable! I have too much disposable income! Grip tape!

Yeah I use it with a bunch of friends, it's definitely "fine", but the app is constantly laggy and dumb. I really like that it has a web interface and use it regularly.

I'll take it a step further, I'm going from an iPhone 6 to Pixel

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Thermopyle posted:

I find the idea of caring so much about your device getting minor scratches pretty foreign to me. It feels like with cases and screen protectors you're making your device look worse to prevent a chance of your device looking "worse". (quotes explained by next sentence)

Some of the coolest things I own are cool largely because they are worn and scuffed from use.

Admittedly, I'm not terribly worried about resale value and if I was I'd care.

I work in a store with concrete floors, dropping my poo poo without a case is no bueno, especially if I'm looking to trade it in for credit towards a new phone.

I might not get a screen protector for the Pixel right away but I'm definitely getting a case.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Flavor Truck posted:

Does Verizon offer those "free upgrades" to a Pixel?

..also HAIL SATAN

No.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hace posted:

I am curious why people always complain about 16GB options if nobody uses onboard storage that much though

16gb is way too fuckin small, coming from an iphone 6

people crying about 32gb tho? gently caress them

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

the gently caress do you do with 70 gigs on a goddamn phone

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

70 gigs of them though?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RVProfootballer posted:

Someone post the size of the entire PSP library tia

You know what I have for playing old handheld games on

Handheld game systems

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
When I think enjoyable gaming experience I think replacing physical buttons in games designed for them with the utter non-feedback of a touchscreen

Doubly so if there's an analog stick

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Endless Mike posted:

Which makes you a bigger nerd: carrying around an old Game Boy or insisting on playing children's toys at all times such that you carry a lovely gamepad to do so rather than playing the many many many games built for the platform and its limitations instead?

I mean I literally have a GBA SP, Vita, and 3DS in my bag right now so I'm probably biased but I say the second thing

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It feels like just yesterday we were shoving cardboard cutouts into our skinny jeans pockets. We've come so far in such a short time.

gently caress I forgot about that. That was a good post.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Will I be able to charge the Pixel using a USB A to USB C cord?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tunga posted:

Yes but it'll charge slower than it would over a proper C-to-C unit.

That's fine. I just wanted to see if I had to buy a thirty dollar cord to charge it while I sleep or if I could just get a cheaper one and leave the C-to-C in my bag with the fast charger

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

myron cope posted:

If mine had shipped on Wednesday I'd probably be using it right now. Now I have to wait an entire weekend too?? :(

I'm going to Verizon on Tuesday! I have to wait even longer!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Getting ready to switch from iPhone to Pixel. I turned off iMessages already on my end, but I'm not getting texts from other iPhone people. What do I need to do?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Figured it out. FaceTime was the hang up

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

hooah posted:

FaceTime is the one thing I'm jealous of with my wife's iPhone. It consistently works a lot better than either Hangouts or Duo.

I have never used it once and I don't care about it at all.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RZA Encryption posted:

We use it to talk with our family on the other side of the country. Not every conversation, of course, but it's nice to see each other more often than holidays.

Edit: also my pixel shipped. 😁

Posting from mind right now suck it nerd

Edit the only thing I'm really struggling with is not having the physical home button that I'm used to

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 23, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dear Dave Google my name is CLAM DOWN and Canada not getting the pixel XL is basically phone rape

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Wrist Watch posted:

I mean that's not the first analogy I'd think of but okay

You're thinking wrong then

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
im sure im missing something really dumb but how do i transfer stuff from my PC to my Pixel

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Blue Train posted:

plug it in and click the thing that pops up?

incorrect! you have to plug it in, open the notification window bar thing, click on where it says charging via usb, and hit transfer files

its dumb as poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

butt dickus posted:

It's charge only by default so your phone doesn't get rooted or whatever when you plug it into any random USB port that you find.

Is there a way to change it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
my pixel is now doing a dumb thing where when i google something it tells me there's an error with my connection, desite being connected to wifi a foot from the router

what the hell pixel i love you why you gotta hit me

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CLAM DOWN posted:

Does it work on cellular?

nope

and to be precise, it loads the results. it just also displays a message over top of them that i can't dismiss. reloading the app has also not worked

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

kensei posted:

I got a Pixel on launch day, it owns. Grab one and you won't regret it.

Like I keep saying, I jumped to it from iPhone and after twelve hours I don't regret it at all

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Cross posting from the Verizon thread because I'm irritated af rn

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

So I went to Verizon yesterday to do the whole trade in new phone shenanigans. The iPhone trade in credit got messed up, and they initially gave me $36 instead of $200. I also didn't get the email with the gift card info yet. They told me they would fix it and to stop in today if i didn't get the email. Which I still don't have.

So the trade in and new phone went smoothly. It's just everything after that that broke

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah. I've only had mine for a couple days, but this is a really awesome phone. I was incredibly impressed with the 2013 Moto X when that was new, and I'm even more impressed with the Pixel.

The thing is, I prefer Android over iOS, but I don't really care too much about specs. I just want a good user experience, which stock Android is pretty good for, minus a few quality of life things. Adding those is totally fine (I'm really missing active notifications on the Pixel, but the fingerprint sensor gesture thing is pretty nice), I really feel like none of the manufacturers are focusing on that aspect of customization. For their flagships, they're just jamming parts into a case, "differentiating" with a custom skin for the sake of doing something unique (whether or not it works), and then maybe thinking about user experience at the end. Granted, I haven't really used a Samsung, HTC, or other brand of phone much in a long time, and I hear they've gotten better, somewhat, but . . . it doesn't sound like they're where I want to be yet.

With the Pixel, it's clear that user experience came first. And while it does have some nice specs for some things, that's really not why it shines. It's well-designed (even if it does have the weird chin at the bottom, I've always felt like a fingerprint sensor belongs on the back, where they put it), and feels really good to use. It's smooth. It works. And where Google's added to stock Android, it's all been good stuff that isn't intrusive.

The iPhones scanner only works because it's also the physical home button. If it wasn't a thing you were trained to smack to turn on the phone it wouldn't work at all

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LionArcher posted:

But... how do you put up with no iMessage? It's the only thing holding me back...

I didn't have a Mac anyway and I don't really do group texts

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What happened to them

I haven't had an Android phone in four years so I didn't realize they were making GBS threads their pants

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is there a way to disable the text message preview on Pixel? I don't like my messages showing up on my lock screen or in the shade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skarsnik posted:

Long hold it and change the privacy setting, sensitive information I think it gets called?

I think I tried that and it didn't even show me who the text was from anymore.