Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

no

buy a moto or a nexus

this should be in the thread title

edit: or a sony

I don't know if I could recommend a Moto since their customer service seems horribly lacking ever since Lenovo picked them up...

https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX/comments/2q46xg/more_moto_customer_service_horror_stories_cracked/

Luckily, an employee of Motorola stepped in but that just seems really lovely and I'd rather not go through that if my Moto phone broke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

For some reason, images I download from the net on my Nexus 4 are corrupt when I try to move them to my PC.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

After 1,750 stars in Google's Issue Tracker, the Lollipop memory leak has finally been fixed.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...-issue-tracker/

The fix will be in a future release of Android so probably 5.0.3 or higher.

Also:

quote:

Fun fact: this particular bug climbed all the way to the 34th highest ever position in the Android issue tracker by number of stars, at over 1750. More extraordinary, perhaps, is that prior to being closed it was the most-starred unresolved issue in the tracker aside from a couple of really old ones dating back to 2010, despite having been in the issue tracker for only 6 weeks. Impressive turnaround time, I guess (by Google standards, at least).

Most people who reported the bug had a Nexus 5 or a Nexus 7 but others reported it as well.

Magog posted:

So I figured out the price gap between the nexus 5 and the nexus 6, the nexus 6' included Sim card slot key is metal not plastic :downs: . Also despite all google/motorola's efforts I finally got one.

The SIM slot key for the Nexus 4 was metal too. :v:

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 30, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

We've been down this road already. It's great that you're a special snowflake that has no issues on lollipop. It's been a huge regression for many people and the loving bugs are DOCUMENTED and confirmed by Google anyways. They've even halted their own rollouts to their own devices.

poo poo is broke. We need to wait for them to fix it.

Lollipop his hilariously broken on the Nexus 4. I just noticed that I can't make ANY calls out at all. Not via Voice or via my carrier number.

Glad I figured this out when I was just trying to call work and not something super super important. :v:

Anyone else here having this issue?

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/j74JlShhihc

Google has it on low priority in AOSP and someone claims it's on the Nexus 6 as well.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I know a few people with 4s and one with a 6 and never heard about it either. I'm guessing you've reflashed the stock ROM.

Yes, I've already flashed the stock ROM, reset it, all of that. I'm pretty sure it's just Lollipop screwing up.

I'll flash back to 4.4.4 if this keeps happening, I guess.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

GTJustin posted:

I had this issue with an OTA 5.0 lollipop version. I restarted my phones and it fixed itself a few times before not being able to make phone calls. I was able to receive most calls. I did a fresh install of 5.1 and everything is fine so far, fixed some of the sluggishness i was getting from lollipop too.

I'm running 5.1 and did a flash of it to check and see if it'd work.

dissss posted:

The thread says it is a problem with Google Play Services and is independent of Android version so flashing back will not help (assuming the thread is correct)

Yeah, just noticed that...guess I can use this as an excuse to pick up some burner GSM phone then.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know good place to pick up a Nexus 5? I'm thinking Amazon since I have a few gift cards but not sure.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

If you're in Canada, carriers still have it all over the place.

In the US

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Don't trust that...especially not in Omaha (no, not just North Omaha....people are loving crazy here).

I saw Boy Blunder has a listing up on Swappa and on SA Mart for his N5. I'll probably keep an eye on it but I don't think I'll have it all in time. :v: Since I've got $115 on Amazon, I was thinking of just getting from Amazon or something but I don't know just yet. I'll look into it though.

Whatever I get, it has to be GSM and all or I'd go pick up some CDMA burner Android.

Thanks for the responses though and I'll keep Swappa (and Amazon) in mind.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

Goons! Buy my 32GB Nexus 5!

This means you ThermoPhysical:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3693436

I'm still looking into it, yes. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Still looking to replace my Nexus 4 and I have a question to those with the Moto X 2014. Is the lack of OIS a big deal with it? I may pick one up this February if I don't go with my original plan of a Nexus 5.

The camera is a big deal to me and I'd like a decent one, but I don't want a Note 4 or anything like that. I'm assuming that with the upgrades to Android via Kit Kat and the upcoming (maybe) RAW stuff that the 5 can do, that it is the better camera.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like my next phone purchase wille coming from Amazon for about $300 or so. Doors Amazon have phone sales or an I stuck with that horrible Fire Phone?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

peepsalot posted:

Thanks, just got off the phone and they are going to send me a replacement.

It'll probably be a new one as the black Nexus 5 (16GB / 32GB) went back in stock today.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

whatever7 posted:

If you get a Moto G shipping with newer 4.4 firmware, there is no way to even root it.

My Cricket version of Moto G (XT1045) doesn't even have the tether menu. Every tether app fail to run on it.

That's due to it being a carrier phone. If it was unlocked, it'd be there.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TraderStav posted:

To clarify: if I unlock the Cricket phone the option would appear, or would it have to be purchased unlocked?

Thanks!

I believe you'd have to purchase unlocked, I'm not sure about unlocking phones though, apologies.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

myron cope posted:

I think what makes me angriest about facebook messenger is how their updates don't actually say what is fixed/changed, it's just some BS about "constantly improving" or whatever

This is pretty much every Google app update ever.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ok, since both the Nexus 6 and Moto X (2014) have made it officially to Amazon, I've got some questions for both devices.

Last night, I watched Erica the Tech Nerd's review on the Nexus 6 and some other guy's review. Both state that the Nexus 6 has pretty bad burn in that happens very quickly. Is this the case for those of you who have had the 6 for a while? Are there any other hardware related issues I should be aware of?

The 2014 Moto X seems to suffer from the same burn-in issues. Are there any 2014 X users with this issue? Are there any other hardware related issues I should be aware of?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

nimper posted:

Burn in can happen on any device with an AMOLED panel. Whether or not your phone gets burn in largely depends on how you use it.

Yeah, I understand that. My Nexus S had burn-in after a few years. However, the problem with these two devices seems to be it's happening with regular usage and very quickly (from a few days to a few weeks of receiving the new device).

EDIT:

CLAM DOWN posted:

No noticeable burnin on my N6 after a couple months, but I keep my brightness quite low.

That's good to hear. I'd probably be keeping the brightness down too. Do you use Adaptive Brightness? also, how is the battery life?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I do use adaptive brightness, it works fine. Direct sunlight is not very good for viewing but pretty much every phone I've owned has had issues with sunlight. Battery life is amazing for my use case which is light during the work day and pretty heavy in the evening. I can usually get through a full day with charge to spare. Battery gets nuked if I use my phone heavily at work though because the cell signal is poo poo here and no wifi. Overall it's the best phone I've ever owned.

Yeah, sunlight seems to always be an issue for me too. I'm still kind of waffling between the two but mainly leaning towards the N6 mostly because no where around here seems to have a Moto X to mess around with for display.

Battery life sounds better than the N4 which is good. I barely get 3 hours or so out of it now a days. Do you have that ambient notifications thing turned on?

Any cases you (or anyone else) can recommend? Is Diztronic still the go-to thing?

Loop

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 25, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I only use Diztronic cases so I can't very well recommend another one!

I should mention too that I have the ambient display thing turned off, which is supposed to slightly improve battery life (the feature where if you lift your phone off a desk/table it lights up a portion of the display in b&w to show notifications).

Yeah, it doesn't look like the ambient display works very well anyway. Does the Diztronic make the phone annoying to pocket?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nope, it's a very minimal/light/thin case. Also like $9.99 so it's hard to go wrong.

Awesome. Mine was $12 for the N4 one. :v:

Oh! How's the camera? Erica's had focusing problems while taking videos. How's the picture quality?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The N6 doesn't have a great camera but I like it better than the Note 2 one.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Camera hardware is great, the Google camera app sucks. If you're serious about good phone photography you can get an app like Manual Camera which supports the new Lollipop camera API, but honestly for regular point and shoot social media pictures the N6 is perfectly fine.

So basically like every Nexus camera (except maybe the S?) this is decent. I like that it can use the Lollipop API. Does that use RAW stuff or what exactly is it?

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

Only encountered burn in at max brightness with adaptive off and it goes away after a bit of use. Using adaptive brightness haven't noticed any at max setting. Only issues I've had were with the ambient display (picking it up turns it on), prior to the first update it would arbitrarily decide to not charge and disabling it fixed the problem. Not a huge problem, but a nasty surprise when my work alarm didn't go off because it was dead (of course it can't reserve power for the alarm like my loving 10 year old Sony brickphone, seriously why doesn't anything do that anymore?). The ambient display is still a bit janky with keeping the clock up to date.

Yeah, from Erica's video, it seems Ambient Display needs some software work. I'd never have the phone at max brightness though so I think it'll be ok.

How's the RMA process with Motorola if anyone's used it? With every Nexus phone I've had (S 4G and 4 so far), I've had to RMA it for a defect (the S 4G had burn in on the screen and the 4 had the speaker issue that the launch versions had with popping noises).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

Max brightness is uncomfortable anyway so it's no loss. Inversely, there is a strange flickering problem at minimum brightness settings with adaptive on that doesn't appear to manifest with any other setting. Neither scenario is a good representation of how you'd actually use it, but they're worth noting. I'm pleased with the N6 despite some rough edges, but it's obvious Motorola has some quality control and testing problems. If I didn't upgrade phones everything 6-9 months I would have spent more on the Note 4 without question for that reason.

I'll take a bit of time to do more research on it (and the Moto X 2014) but yeah, it sounds like QC problems. Though, most Nexus devices have had those and I suppose it's just which one is easiest to live with.

butt dickus posted:

I had to do it once with a Moto X. The guy on live chat confirmed it was defective and emailed me a code to order a replacement. I think they gave two weeks to send the bad one back.

That's not too bad actually. Thanks!

EDIT:

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Manual Camera app is this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.vipek.camera2

It can take normal JPGs, or you can tell it to capture raw DNG files too (which are loving enormous of course). It has a massive load of features and dials to screw around with, from ISO to exposure to lighting. I'm not knowledgeable with this stuff at all, but my understanding is that the raw files are intended for post-processing tasks in Photoshop and the like. I've fooled around a bit with the exposure settings when I was trying out some nighttime shots.

Either way, the new camera API looks awesome and Google should get their poo poo in gear for their own app because it does not use the new API yet.

Oh sweet. I'll probably use this one then. I would mostly be using it for photos and video anyway and the better camera is nice. Yeah, I could go with the Nexus 5 but I'd rather step away from LG for a while anyway.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 25, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

I've had my N6 for 3 months. I keep brightness at 1/3 to 1/2 most of the time and on a white screen I can barely see some burn in at the top and moderate burn in from the buttons on the bottom.

It seems in the cases with burn in, Motorola will replace it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

hotsauce posted:

While that is certainly true, Samsung, hate or not, does a fantastic job with it's OLED panels. I don't recall seeing a jacked up Samsung display yet. Even store models running demo loops. Moto Xs? All of them have burn in from store demos. Samsung has it's poo poo together with it's display tech, full stop. Even with the :supaburn: 750 nit sunlight readability mode of the Note 4. Sammy's like gently caress it, crank the panel up. It'll handle it.

The Moto X 2014 and Nexus 6 both use the same Samsung OLED panel. It's just that they're using an older one than the Note 4 and it's causing pretty quick burn in.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Just about had it with this Nexus 5. Lollipop has already killed its usability and now it refuses to be charged by my Tylt Vu which is happily charging my N7 with no issues.

This post has solidified the choice that I am NOT going to buy a Nexus 5 and shall pick up a 6. :v:

So are we talking Nexus S with Jellybean levels of bad?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

At least on the N6, it's Google's camera software that's a pile of poo poo, not the sensor hardware itself.

I meant to bring this up a couple of pages ago. Does video on the N6 constantly lose and try to regain focus? I'm wondering if this is software or hardware based.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

They do T-Mobile GSM which is, "eh" at best in my area.

So it works here now?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sent from my iPad posted:

What is the least lovely/annoying Android news site? I assume there are none?

Nothing really The Best but...

Android Police does decent teardowns on APKs and OSes. They were the only site to call bullshit on the Sony Nexus render. It's confirmed that Googlers DO read Android Police as they found direct references to their website as a joke during a teardown of an APK. Also the EIC constantly trollbaited the poo poo out of TK Tech News on G+ and exposed him for the liar that TK Tech is.

Droid Life is (was?) good for Motorola stuff as, before Lenovo bought them, Moto would constantly give special preference to DL for news and interviews. The former CEO even did a sort of Q&A and even posted in the comments a few times to answer questions on the 2013 Moto X.

Android Central is lovely garbage and should only be read if you want to laugh at their attempts to be cool and remain relevant. The only thing they're noteworthy for is being one of the first Android-blog sites. Other than that, they're pretty worthless as they haven't contributed anything to actual news. While AP will post a rumor and debunk it / use their personal experiences and facts to support it, AC will literally post a multipage article on "lol this is poo poo, you all know better, gently caress the other sites who believe or DARE to post. AC is the best."

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

No problem.

ilkhan posted:

Android Central's attitude it what drove me to replace their bookmark with Android Police's site.

Yeah, I used to be on AC a lot back when the Nexus S was popular. Then I finally realized how lovely and stuck-up the entire staff is and switched to AP pretty quick myself.

Skeezy posted:

Android 5.1 official http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2015/03/android-51-unwrapping-new-lollipop.html?m=1

T-Mobile already has rollout notes for the Nexus 4, 5, and the 7 (2013). They are saying rollout starts today.

Hopefully images come up tonight.

Speaking of AP's EIC, he's Artem who posted on there. :v: I've talked to him on G+ about stories he's posted. He's pretty cool.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Specifically, how does it compare to a Nexus S with Jellybean?

Oh my God. I didn't notice that was the thread title too.

I'm slightly proud that my horrible experience with that phone has made humor. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like 5.1 has a bug with Chromecast that won't let you set it up if you must.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/2yno9h/chromecast_has_an_issue_in_android_51/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Welp.

Android 5.1 has it's own memory leak which as been fixed internally but Google has no idea when the fix will be made public.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=159738

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tunga posted:

Now I'm not saying that this problem doesn't exist (clearly it does since Google already fixed it) but this...

...just shows a total lack of understanding about how memory usage works on Android (and Unix-likes in general). That a user doesn't understand this is somewhat reasonable, but that the author thinks this is a meaningful quote says a lot about the quality of the writing on that site.

Also this was already posted a couple of days ago, from a good blog.

Yeah...TechnoBuffalo is pretty lovely as well. They used to have some other guy posting videos up on YouTube which were basically piggybacking off of people like Marques Brownlee (MKBHD) and Erica the Tech Nerd. He didn't really know what he was talking about otherwise.

Speaking of Erica, I got a chance to extensively test out the Nexus 6 at a local store here for about 20 minutes (no one else cared about it and most people played with whatever current LG phone there is...saw 3 people buying it, 2 playing with it, and 1 asking questions about it). She was right in saying the video on the N6 has weird focusing problems. It tries to focus so much, it looks like the camera has some kind of heartbeat or something. I personally don't think it's annoying but it is noticeable.

I also tested out the sound on it since the place I was at was loud as gently caress. The sound basically was nonexistent even if you put it up to your ear at the last few levels. But on high it was perfect to hear even in the loud environment.

I didn't see any burn-in though which was a bit comforting. Granted no one used the drat thing except me and I later leaned I was the only one interested in it for about a week. :v: So not much usage out of it there.

The vibrator seemed...okay? It was there but it wasn't like the Moto X 2013's as I can hear my roommate's vibrate through the wall.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

For those having problems with 5.1 on Nexus 5, this is because there's yet another memory leak for 5.1 for the Nexus 5. It's been fixed already internally at Google but there's no telling when it'll be put into a public release.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Friend of mine wants to skip lollipop on his AT&T Note 4, anyone know how he can aside from just ignoring the notification? :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know what to do about a persistent voice mail notification? I use Google Voice and never get messages sent to my carrier mail. I have, however, checked both Voice and my carrier (Cricket) mail and I have no new voice messages.

It's gotten so bad that I had to uninstall Light Flow because it constantly saw that notification and kept flashing the light 24/7. The app running so long made the battery worse than what it already is (Nexus 4).

I don't have to root to fix this, do I? :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Either you get the carrier to fix it or you find a way to block the notification. Blocking the notification in any useful way will require root unless you don't want the dialer to ever provide a notification of any kind as far as I know.

The best thing to do is fix the problem and for that you'll need Cricket's help.

Yeeah. I guess I'll call em later today.

Tunga posted:

Also you could have just turned off voicemail notifications in Light Flow instead of uninstalling the entire thing.

I need it for work though. :v: I'll call Cricket and see what they can do though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm trying out the Galaxy S 6 Edge at Best Buy and it's really loving niiiiiice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://9to5google.com/2015/04/10/nexus-5-nexus-7-bricked-android-lollipop/

Looks like there's a huge thread on Google's product page about Lollipop bricking Nexus 7 2013 Wi-Fi and Nexus.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/nexus/aHPjOTqCpXY