Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Melmac posted:

Just got my Moto X 2013, I like it a lot but is having the "ok Google Now..." feature on all the time a good idea? I thought the only reason Apple does it when the phone is plugged in was because constantly listening for a phrase is a serious drain on the battery? Is this somehow not the case?

It uses a second low power cpu, so no, it's actually not the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Desk Lamp posted:

Christ dude, it's just giving people another harmless option to customize their phones, you know, one of Android's strengths over its competitors. I probably wouldn't even change from the default but there's no need to be so overzealous.

Don't try to reason with him, anyone that wants to customize their user experience past what the OEM intends/allows is a hopeless sperglord, and Literally Hitler.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

nocal posted:

Do you theme gmail too? If so, you're at least Hitlerian.

Nope, no skin in that particular game, just like to point out when RZA takes poo poo way too seriously.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

tekz posted:

I got a Sony Xperia recently and I really dislike the UI. Is there a way to get stock android on to the phone?

What specifically don't you like?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Torix posted:

My old rear end Droid Bionic finally called it quits last night. I only upgrade once I feel like I don't have a choice so it's been like five years and I've been out of the Android/smartphone loop for a while.

Since I don't upgrade very often, I don't mind paying for the best thing out there at the time. I've got Verizon - I'm looking at the Galaxy Note 4 and the Droid Turbo. Both phones seem to be good spec-wise. My coworker has a Note 4 and I think the screen looks gorgeous and it seems to take great pictures, but on the other hand I've never seen or used a Turbo so it may do all the same things just as well.

I'm heading to the store after work today to look at them myself, but since I haven't had much time to do a lot of research and see a lot of opinions, I'm just wondering if anyone knows any real advantages/disadvantages either of them might have over the other. Or whether there's a third Verizon option I might not be aware of yet.

Get the Turbo. Samsung has a bad habit of not updating their older phones to the latest version of Android, so if you plan to keep the Note 4 for the same amount of time as the bionic, you're going to be left in the dark.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

hooah posted:

This gave me a good laugh. Someone's been reading the thread!

I'd call it more of a slapfight, anyway.
:goonsay:

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Require More Fire posted:

I really didn't like the idea of going to a 5"+ phone when I got the Moto X but now that I have it I can't imagine going smaller. So, go big phones or go home I guess.

I went from s3 to Z1 and just ordered a Z3C. I think the Moto X 2013 form factor is absolutely perfect.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

canadianclassic posted:

So I've got the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and have a couple questions...

What's the general consensus on which case is best for this phone? I'm looking for something that is protective when the phone is dropped, and something to help secure the flaps on the side. Doesn't have to look fancy or be particularly sleek, just functional.

Also, one of the flaps on the side of the phone (the bottom one, not the one with the USB port) keeps working its way open without me doing anything to it. Some googling reveals that this is not a problem unique to my phone; any of you have any experience with this issue or know any fixes?

The incipio dualpro was the only case i could find for the Z3C with decent build quality. It covers everything except the usb /charging flap. It's also very very smooth, which is annoying as all hell. I got it yesterday, and am thinking of taking some low grit sandpaper to it to get some drat traction. It does look like it will protect from any angle, though, which is why I got it.

As far as the loose flap goes, if you're the original owner, you can send it back to Sony for a warranty repair. They'll want the receipt from when you bought it wrapped around the device, btw.

I actually bought a Z3C on Swappa with a loose usb flap on purpose, because the seller was dumb enough to describe it as 'secure' and was only charging $385. One trip to my local repair shop and a PayPal dispute later, and it was back in mint condition at no cost to me.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

whatever7 posted:

How much did your local shop charge for a "loose USB flap"?

It wasn't cheap, almost $40,which was why I recommended taking it to Sony first if possible. Also, I probably could've ordered the piece myself or taken it to a cheaper place, but I knew that it'd be done right, and fully water proof afterwards.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

ninmeister posted:

The answer is simple. Grip tape.

:goonsay:

dphi posted:

Just a quick question about the LG G3 - I'm reading reviews that say the battery is amazing and reviews that say the battery is terrible. Any consensus here? I need to get my wife's lovely old S3 replaced and battery life is one of her larger concerns.

IIRC the G3's QHD screen tanks its battery life. The Droid turbo is pretty awesome if you're on Verizon. If not, I recommend a Sony Z3/Z3C unless you're on sprint, in which case I recommend not being on Sprint.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It's not grippy enough if you can't just stick it to the outside of your pants.

That's what the fanny pack is for. I draw the line at grip tape, though.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Sir Unimaginative posted:

EDIT: This is probably rooted-thread talk but since it's instrumental in determining a purchase for many people it probably also belongs here:

Pretty much everything rooting-related involves checking XDA for factory image availability (and workarounds to put back useful subroutines that got deleted just because you unlocked the bootloader, Sony) these days, because Lollipop changed the update model so it'll abort updates directly if literally anything is off about partitions like /system that are ostensibly not user-accessible.

Yes, you should probably do this before ever ordering the phone.

Sony factory images (or FTF's) are readily available the same time OTA's roll out. Getting root without unlocking the boot loader on my Z3C was tedious, but not particularly difficult.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Desk Lamp posted:

Someone used to the iPhone and sensible design should have an even easier time finding it. Not that you'd ever let something like not knowing what you're talking about stop you from stroking that irrational hate boner you've got for Samsung.

Because of how much Apple loves capacitive buttons?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

Currently running a HTC One M7 on Sprint, in SD so just basically don't even get 3g service. Getting off that plan ASAP and planning on using an AT&T mvno. Had my eyes on a Moro G until I figure out if I NEED a flagship phone- am I crazy?

(Comedy option: Fire Phone since I have Prime and could use another free year, and since you can sideload Google services super easy now)

A Moto G suits that purpose, but wouldn't it be better to just make the one purchase? Why the rush? What kinds of things are you looking for in your next phone?

Edit: The Fire Phone is on fire sale, but is still a lovely phone.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 19, 2015

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

No rush to get a specific phone, but I AM in a rush to get away from Sprint! Basically can't use mobile internet here at all ( as far as I can tell, I'm around 2g speeds IF it loads). Essentially if I'm not on WiFi, this HTC One is a dumb phone! I guess I'm more asking for an AT&T MVNO compatible android. What suggestions do you have? I'd LIKE to keep it under 200$ or 300$ at the highest end.

Moto X 2013.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Moto X 2013 looks interesting! Any suggested retailer to look at? Amazon has a ton of different listings!

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=221676670648

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

codo27 posted:

So are you guys still all hating on the OPO? My N4 is fine except for Polaroid camera and having the same amount of storage as a PlayStation memory card. These things need to be remedied and I don't want to spend $700 or something

Z3C can be found used for less than $400 now

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Rastor posted:

Z3 Compact is an interesting recommendation for someone considering a OnePlus One...

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Sony-Xperia-Z3-Compact,OnePlus-One/phones/8744,8603

Hey, if camera and capacity are your main concerns, going N4-Z3C makes sense.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

codo27 posted:

I'm happy with the size of the N4 and it feels amazing in my hand despite their largeness. I don't need a phablet, don't know why anyone would

How hard is the Z3 to unlock? Already spotted a good deal locally but its probably sold

As in root? Relatively easy. You don't want to unlock the bootloader, though, because Sony set it up to make the camera worse if you do.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Grimson posted:

new or used?

Read that again.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

The story is that the spergs itt have a huge hate boner for it.

Everyone who has an opinion that isn't 100% in line with mine is somewhere on the Autism spectrum, and probably guilty of at least one crime against humanity.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

*runs in*

AHEM without an SD card and removable battery how can I be expected to watch 4 hours of animes every day on the bus?

Usb otg with flash drives and juice packs, duh.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

I'm an iPhone owner popping in because I'm interested in the new phone announcements. Can "most" Android smartphones really go a day or more without charging? Seems far fetched but I'll be impressed if that is the case.

I have a Sony Z3 Compact and a Quickcharge 2.0 charger. When 10 minutes charging gets you an hour's worth of screen on time, and the battery usage when the screen is off is mitigated to almost zero, charging at night becomes 100% optional.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Blitter posted:

Nah, it's always nice to see people being smug about this poo poo, as it serves to illustrate which posters are loving idiots and unreliable narrators.

My favorite bit is that the definition of broken is apparently just "has to be updated differently". Like, I understand calling people who immediately flash CM on their brand new S#'s or Note #'s dumb for replacing the stock camera or S-pen drivers with lovely hacked together garbage. The stock/rooted and custom rom paradigms are worlds apart in terms of reliability, yet functionally identical, so conflating them is hilariously simple minded.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

ruby idiot railed posted:

Doesn't look like you can actually order one of these yet, of course.

The prototype probably explodes half way through the charge cycle.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Logikv9 posted:

There's some new battery pack out there that comes with a AC outlet. I'd rather just get that and plug a turbo charger into there.

I think that might be a bit of a fire hazard.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

always be closing posted:

Is this Nexus 5 worth the $275 that the phone normally goes for?

Get a Samsung. Nexus devices are for closers.

Serious response: It looks like one could get a used Nexus 5 on Swappa for 235:
http://swappa.com/listing/VZR417/view

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 7, 2015

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

What case should I buy for my new Xperia z3 compact?

I got this Incipio Dualpro for mine. It was a little slippery when I first got it, so I uglied it up with some sandpaper to give it some grippiness. I also had to cut a hole for the magnetic charger, but if you're willing to either take off the case to charge or open the flap that isn't really necessary. Even with those two modifications, it's still the best case out there for the Z3 Compact. Welcome to buying an uncommon phone.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

butt dickus posted:

What a worthless argument.

Google and Motorola will send you an advance replacement which objectively does not suck. OnePlus will make you pay to ship their broken garbage back to them.

And when they replace it they'll sell the refurb as new

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
So there's an aluminum bumper case out now for the Z3c that's $57.50 shipped. If you can get over the price, it looks like everything one could want in a case. Slim profile, adequate protection, and holes in all the right spots.

Once it arrives, I won't need my current Incipio Dualpro, so if any goons want it, shoot me a pm. I only ask for said goon to cover shipping cost. Fair warning, it has been sanded down on the back plastic and had a hole added for the magnetic charging port.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

nerve posted:

but my Diztronic is everything i want in a case for a quarter the price

That was the first thing I looked for when I got it. Diztronic doesn't make Z3c cases. :(

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

Just look for a TPU case, there appear to be plenty listed on Amazon. Diztronic is good but plenty of other companies make good TPU cases too.

I got this one and hated it. No inserts for the buttons, so you had to just feel around for the right spot. It also allowed the bottom 2 corners of the glass screen protector to get chips by dropping it 2 feet, so I got the incipio instead.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Tunga posted:

Cruzerlite seem to have some. They use the same manufacturer as Diztronic and I've found them to be good quality in the past.

That looks really good. I didn't like the design on the back, so I dismissed it out of hand, and now wish I hadn't. Oh well.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

GWBBQ posted:

(biggest one for me was not having sound in calls unless I rebooted first.)

That is some Cyanogenmod nightly level bullshit.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Post your review when you get it, I'm interested but not necessarily $57.50 shipped interested.

I ordered it Friday and it got here today. It included 2 extra screws, a plastic insert to hold it in charging docks, and a ridiculous red faux leather back cover. The back cover matches the color of the bumper, so I'd imagine the black one wouldn't look as bad.

The build quality is as you'd expect for the price. It's exactly the same size as the tpu case I linked earlier, except the for buttons sticking out, obviously. The camera button first stage is very easy to accidentally hit. I had to rebind my flashlight shortcut from 'click' to l'ong press' with Xposed Additions, which is fine. There's an indent on the headphone port, so it'll accept any size jack I've ever seen. That's a nice touch.

My biggest gripe is that it didn't fit with the magnector x2. The fuckers on xda said it would. There's 2 little edge pieces sticking out next to the magnet, so I shaved the bottom one down to the little strip that runs parallel to it. After that, I was able to get it to fit reliably, so it's really not that big of a deal.

I don't have an actual Sony OEM dock yet, so I can't say if it'll fit in the dock or not, but given that the docks don't seem to have those little lip pieces next to the magnet like the adapters do, I'm fairly sure they will be compatible with each other.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the purchase, but I readily admit that spending that much on a case is basically insane. If you prefer to use a magnetic charger of some kind, and can justify spending loving $60 on a case, get one. Don't set it on any rocks.

If you have any measure of self control, get that tpu case that Tunga recommended, or just keep whatever you have now.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

cremnob posted:

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/17/app-submissions-on-google-play-now-reviewed-by-staff-will-include-age-based-ratings/

What the gently caress? Android's biggest selling point has been anti-walled garden. Now I'm just using a piece of poo poo ripoff of the iPhone.

gently caress off cremnob

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Efb
E2: I'd prefer qi and turbo charging, but if I could only have 1, I'd prefer Turbo.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 19, 2015

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Mogomra posted:

Is there any way to tell if a random USB cable will work with a Motorala Turbo Charger? The one that came with mine is just a little too short. I don't need it for data or anything, strictly charging. I'd be happy with anything from Monoprice, but I'm sitting on a few more days of an Amazon Prime trail, and some Amazon gift cards as well.

Will something like this just work? I really have no idea.

E: I guess the question I should be asking is what the hell gauge cable am I looking for? The one I linked is apparently 28/21, but I can't figure out what came with my charger.

I use an Amazon Basics cable with my Z3c and it still charges at Quick Charge 2.0 speed.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

FistEnergy posted:

Sony Xperia Z3.

Or Z3c, if you're into that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

TraderStav posted:

The monthly savings will payback any ETF at an alarming rate. Come to the prepaid thread, we are really nice and stuff

Wisdom. Moving from AT&T postpaid ($50/mo on a dumb plan and dumb phone) to the T-Mo nerd plan for $30/mo has saved me $240 a year, which is about the cost of a decent phone off contract every 2 years.