Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
The nexus 6 has an OTA also. It's working fine for me, but so did 5.0.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

IuniusBrutus posted:

My 2013 Moto X (5.1) spontaneously rebooted last night. When it turned back on, it had to compile all of the apps again.

My nexus 6 has started doing this recently, though only when in my pocket, and it turns itself back on again immediately. Probably wouldn't notice if not for how hot it gets when optimising apps. It has gone thorough several OS updates now though, could probably do with a reset.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I'm confused - in the UK we put our card in the machine, type in a PIN and literally a second later the machine says you can take your card out. Is there some aspect of the chip and sign process that necessitates leaving your card in the machine for 30 seconds? That'd piss me off too.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Tunga posted:

If you're referring to to the "password required for additional security" message, this is just a thing that happens every few days if you haven't used your password at all during that time. I think it's three days but I'd have to dig out the source to confirm.

This is annoying as poo poo and made me stop using the fingerprint scanner.

It's right up there with the play store constantly telling me to use Wi-Fi rather than my completely unlimited 4g connection for "big" downloads. I don't know why they don't let you turn that bullshit off.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Nope, just went back to no password / pattern. I only had one since the fingerprint scanner made me set one up.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
My 6P has Bluetooth issues if I hold the top end of the phone, where the headphone jack is. Range seems pretty good otherwise. I don't get any of the crashing/stuttering others have reported, and get about 6 hours screen on time (though I keep brightness pretty low)

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I have a Samsung 4k smart tv. It was very cheap considering its feature set and the picture quality is outstanding. I wish it ran Android instead of Tizen though.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, the 6P is the first Android phone I've owned that didn't have some glaring annoyance with the hardware. I preferred the size of the slightly larger 6, but that had some severe performance and battery life issues.

I'll still probably buy a Pixel XL though because I want a new toy.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

well why not posted:

just don't buy a new phone ? what are you doing that necessitates a new phone every 12 months?

I think you've somehow stumbled into the wrong thread, friend. This one is for people making dumb decisions about Android phones.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

ilkhan posted:

Where are you seeing that?

From context I'm pretty sure he means "phone" not "camera"

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Find an average man in normal-fitting pants and cram your phone in his pants pocket. Bonus points if you ask permission first. If he has a shirt pocket, try that too. This is what men with jobs that don't require suits have to deal with on a daily basis.

Seriously, the Nexus 6 is huge. It's well beyond the optimal size for general targeted-at-everybody phones. Not saying you can't like huge phones, just explaining what I suspect is the reason google is walking size back a bit.

Carried my N6 in my jeans pocket just fine (not a hipster so no skinny jeans). I preferred the 6" screen to the slightly smaller 6P and am a bit nervous of the pixel being slightly smaller again. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but the N6 was just the right size for me.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Deathlove posted:

You don't really notice how slow your old phone, even coming off a factory reset, is until you have a new one. This thing loving flies.

Gotta say, I really haven't noticed any significant difference between my 6P and the Pixel. But then it seems I was somewhat lucky in having a 6P with no performance issues whatsoever. Even the Bluetooth worked great.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Borrowed Ladder posted:

All this pixel love is making me sad I bought a 6p two weeks ago. 6p is already the best phone I've ever had so it's not so bad, but knowing the pixel is just better enough to make me think of getting one is annoying. So great job guys!

I've said it before in this thread, but going from 6P to Pixel XL was not a significant upgrade to me. Probably because the 6P was the first Android phone I had that felt really solid. Sure the Pixel is objectively better, but not by much. I think the biggest difference I've noticed is that the Pixel doesn't get hot under load like my 6P did.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, my 6p worked great out the box and still had fantastic battery life and performance when I moved to the pixel. I don't use Facebook though, maybe related?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Lowen SoDium posted:

I don't remember the default Android ambient display being that bad, but I can't test it because it is currently broken on the Pixel.

How is it broken? As far as I can tell it works the same on my pixel as it did on my 6 & 6p

E: vvv oh, ok, never really used that function

..btt fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 11, 2016

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I use beyondpod and it doesn't do that for me. I don't have play music, but I use spotify, smart audiobook reader and a uk radio app on a regular basis. They all seem to work pretty well together, it'll just pick up the last one I was listening to when I get in the car and pause just works.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

I don't think he's wrong or anything, but an undergrad isn't any more or less likely to write bad code.

Sure they are. Of course it's possible for an undergrad to write good code, just like it's possible for an experienced developer to write terribly naive code. But in general experienced developers write much better code than those that lack experience, like your average undergrad.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Security accreditation is generally more about money spent than code quality. Not that I know anything about the internal quality of Knox.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Man you guys cannot accept that a single Samsung thing might possibly be good, can you?

I can post more about Knox and why it's good when I get to work and not on my phone, if you're actually genuinely interested.

Samsung make great displays! I own several. Petty good memory chips too I believe. Their software, in my limited experience, is pretty bad though.

It's possible for Knox to be important and good as a product, but poorly implemented, by the way. Again, not saying it is, but just the fact that it exists is not evidence that it's well made.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I literally never said that :confused: Again, you don't seem particularly open to hearing it, but in a bit when I get to work I can outline why Knox is good if you want.

I'm not against Samsung, just from what I've seen my uninformed opinion is that their software is bad. Not sure why you think I have some hate-boner (other than this being the SA android thread).

I never suggested Knox the product was bad, in fact I said my assumption that it was poorly implemented was completely independent of its value or use as a product. If you have insider knowledge about the quality of the implementation I'm sure everyone would be interested! If you're just going to talk about why it is good in concept, I think that's a given.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

bull3964 posted:

7.1.2 Bluetooth update (both variants).

Still poo poo.

Have you considered your Pixel might just be broken? I use mine with about 4 different devices and it's flawless on all of them.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
That is strange.

bull3964 posted:

It's environmental. I drop in my car at the same point in my routes every single day. It has something to do with either cell handoff or WiFi interference.

This being the case it seems unlikely software can fix it. I guess it's a possibility.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

LastInLine posted:

This part should be trivial but in fact is actually impossible. Why? Google has a similar policy to Apple's rural retail presence when it comes to data backup and restore.

I know this is app dependent, but going nexus 4->6->6p->pixel it has transferred apps and data just fine and been entirely automatic for me.

So complain to the devs of the apps who don't support it.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I think in some respects the Android approach is actually easier since you don't need a computer, and don't you need iTunes to do the backup->restore iPhone thing?

I know what you're saying though and I'm not saying they couldn't enforce all apps (and device vendors) using the transfer system they provide, but I think this is probably one of the trade-offs for having a more open approach to their app store and devices. I'd say if you want an iPhone experience, get an iPhone. I understand the attraction of such a curated set-up. I doubt Android will ever do that though - Google isn't in the same position as Apple here. They could just do it for Pixel I suppose, but I wonder if it would even be worth the effort. Are Pixel devices a significant portion of the market? It seems most people think Android means Samsung.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

carry on then posted:

You don't need iTunes. It hasn't needed iTunes in something like 5 years.

Ah, fair enough, never owned an iPhone

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I really hope that's not the case because I use both charger and headphones all day at my desk and gently caress having to rotate two pairs so one can be recharging. I don't want to have to buy a Samsung explodophone just so I can drown out office noises.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

LastInLine posted:

For everyone else, I'd argue a fingerprint sensor is about as close to indispensable as a feature could be.

Hi, I don't give a gently caress about fingerprint readers on android phones because it's intensely annoying to me that it prompts you for other authentication every few days. That's like the opposite of quick and convenient. I've given it a good go twice now, and both times it's lasted a few weeks before I've returned to the basic slide to unlock.

This is really my biggest bugbear with android, though I appreciate I'm probably not a standard user. There are "helpful" features that annoy the hell out of me and can't be turned off.

Another would be the fact it's totally impossible to disable the "large download" warning on the play store. No, gently caress off Google, I don't want to connect to Wi-Fi for this "enormous" 100mb download, much like the last 500 times you asked me. My phone has an 80mbit uncapped connection. Why would I want to find a public Wi-Fi connection which will probably charge me and be far slower than my data connection? I know why it's the default but let me turn the drat thing off.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Did it on my 6p, still does it on my pixel xl

E: in fact I have complained about it in this thread previously and was told it does that by design

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I suppose my phone must spontaneously reboot without closing any apps every few days then, I dunno. I just know it was annoying enough for me to turn it off and go back to a simple slide unlock both times I gave it a good shake. It's not like I need the security anyway, my phone is always with me.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Theris posted:

It's every 48 hours on stock Android. Fuckin lol at having to enter your PIN/password once every couple days being so "intensely annoying" that you switch back to having no security at all, though.

I only even enabled the security in the first place because you can't turn on fingerprint unlock without it. I don't need the security, my phone is always in my pocket.

I do appreciate I have a very low tolerance for UI issues though.

E: ^^^^ I'd ask you how because my phone won't let me.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Except when it isn't.

True, at work it's on my desk and I'm using it - like right now. And at home it's plugged into my charger. Not lost a phone in nearly 20 years now, so I'm willing to risk someone having temporary access to my email for a little convenience.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Because it was as fast and easy, except when prompting me for a password, and it is a small amount of extra security.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I'm waiting for someone to post about how I'm also wrong for wanting the option to disable the Wi-Fi warning :allears:

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

vyst posted:

I made my peace with it too which is why I'm keeping my pixel 1 xl lol

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I know I'm pickier than whomever hired that person to be a writer. It's "pickier than me".

What? No it isn't. Both are technically correct, but I is more formal. If you're gonna be a massive pedant, at least be correct :colbert:

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Both are not technically correct, I cannot be an object, me is an object and I is a subject. Even if you could get away with using I in a prepositional phrase in speech, it's certainly not acceptable anywhere with a half decent editor.

You should do some research - this is a frequent subject of debate, and being British I did do some checking to ensure it wasn't different in American English. It is not. The general consensus seems to be when "than" is considered a preposition "me" is correct; when a conjunction, "I" is correct. But there is no consensus as to which is the right interpretation. Over here the older generation would definitely prefer "I" and I've often heard it used in speech, but I doubt anyone under 30 would use it.

Anyway, enough dumb derail, I'll post no more about it. It was only a light-hearted comment about you being pedantic but also technically incorrect!

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

LastInLine posted:

As for the headphone jack, well, keep tilting at windmills while the rest of us use wireless headphones and earbuds. In case you aren't aware, they're like standard headphones except better in every way. You should try some!

Apparently heavier, more expensive, less reliable and need regular charges (and replacement as the integrated battery wears out) is better in every way, we just didn't realise. Thank God you were here to tell us our opinions are wrong!

I own wireless headphones. I never use them because they're a pain in the rear end. Fortunately my phone has a headphone jack, but I'm a little worried about the lack of available choice when I need to replace it. I don't want to have to carry an extra cable around with me everywhere, especially if it's an expensive cable with a high quality dac in it. If only there was some way such a cable could be built into the phone, that would be pretty futuristic!

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Ola posted:

Bluetooth is an annoying protocol, but cables are annoying too. A set of wireless plugs with a lithium battery actually has a longer lifetime, because the cable wears out and you lose sound on one ear sooner or later. I've gradually come around to using only wireless headsets even if my phone has a jack. And because I am a dumb fleshy human, I was quickly conditioned into accepting the things that at first annoyed me. Now I'm used to them and can't remember what it was like before.

I still have various sets of headphones that are >10 years old and still work. No doubt wireless headphones will have failures just as wired headphones do. I haven't owned any battery powered devices that have lasted longer than a couple of years (beyond those that take replacable batteries).

I agree, not having a cable can absolutely be an advantage, but it comes with a number of drawbacks. To say wireless is better in every way is just ridiculous.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

on the other hand I just fire up spotify

I just say "Hey Google, play <song X> on spotify" then listen to whatever incorrect track it decides to play because it's too much effort arguing with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
We've discussed this in the thread before - by "better in every way" he actually means "doesn't have a cable but objectively worse by any other metric"