Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Mr Interweb posted:

how long do google/stores usually wait after the newest version of the pixels release before they stop selling new version of the last model?

I'm surprised you can still get a 6/6pro from google. They usually blow out their stock before the next model comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

They were still selling the 5a well after the 6 and 6 Pro were out.

That I can understand as the Xa phones are the budget line, but you weren't getting 3xls when the 4's came out etc...

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

withoutclass posted:

My pixel buds A are better than the first true wireless pixel buds. I had the seating issue before big time, but so far the A has been great.

I have the buds 2 and the buds A and the A's are better in pretty much every way. First pair of Buds 2 I had the left one just wouldn't' connect. Replacement set just stopped charging.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Lowen SoDium posted:

Shield tv is still the best Android tv/Google tv box you can get. The most recent version has a pretty good ai upscaling function that actually works really well on most content. It's also the best box you can run Kodi on if you still want to do that.

It really is. The Chromecast with google tv is pretty good if you don't want to spend as much, but really all the streaming sticks have their pluses and minuses. My parents are on fire tv sticks and they're fine. They have problems, just different ones than my google tv stuff.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

butt dickus posted:

i hope this goes the way of the tango tablet and not "if you want the fully-specced device, you gotta buy the folding one"

Doubt if they'd be able to do that at $1800 msrp. Even Samsung still focuses on the galaxy S. At these prices they're always going to be niche.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I mean a chromecast with google TV is nice but you can't run Zoom on it and videochat with it.

I'm pretty sure you can hook a USB hub up to one and a webcam and what not and it'll work. Might take some sideloading to get zoom on it though.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

The 6 was the same, can't remember previous Pixels before that. It's not a new limitation.

At one point it was 10. I've got both thumbs and index fingers. Big thing was to do a 360 when registering them so you got all the angles.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Courier will rise from the ashes.

Courier was two discreet screens like the previous Duos. :colbert:
Still waiting on that software stack

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Honestly, biggest thing to me is the flat screen on the pro. I don't mind the curved edges, but given the choice would take flat.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Rescue Toaster posted:

I wonder if they've cut the Pixel 6 trade-in even more to match. I think it was $150 last I checked. Not sure I want to pay $300 just to get security updates and have to do it all over again in a year when they stop supporting the Pixel 7.

6/6pro are due to get updates through next year. Although they are late with March's.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

They held back the march update too. Almost becoming a pattern.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

I want them to give me $900 for my 6 pro. That fold is cool, just not $1800 worth of cool.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

How good is the Google version of applecare?

they partner with ubreakifix, so dependent on how close one of those are to you.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

VictualSquid posted:

Does anybody know how to restrict my phone to only turn on with the power button temporarily? Such that pressing the display or fingerprint button does nothing, but pressing the power button still opens the lock screen.
Or maybe deactivate all lock screen actions except for logging in. Including emergency calls.

I wanted that right now to install a screen protector, where I did just fully shut down the phone.
But, now that I had the idea, I kinda want the mode to prevent pocket dialling. Or rather pocket skipping forward on my podcasts.
I actually want the quick access most of the time, but sometimes I am wearing pants that are especially prone to pocket dialling. Which is why I want something that is easy to switch on and off.

e: Pixel 6a, if it matters.

Hold power down and choosing lockdown will force a pin entry, doesn't keep the screen off though.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

the nexus 4 back was worth it

still the best looking phone I've ever owned. It also wasn't as slippery as my pixel has been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

deong posted:

Looked it up. They started it for the Pixel 6/pro release, so it only worked to upgrade to the 7/pro? Is that right? They closed the program before the Pixel 8 drop.

Yeah, the 6/6 pro was the first things eligible, and went through the 7/7 pro. Don't even think they put the 7a on it.

I'll take the $100 off the 8 pro, although the "free" protection plan was nice to have.