Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Stoat posted:

I'm having 0 problems with any lag on N6. Might be checking out if your handset is just busted in some way.

He's saying his Moto X is laggy. No explanation for why the N6 sucks, but I'm gonna guess "too big."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

FAUXTON posted:

Affordability isn't so much the question as whether or not that $700 or so is best spent, phone-wise, on the N6 at this point in time. Curent phone is an N5 and while it's probably lollipop issues, it's starting to show its age.

The only phone that is arguably better is more expensive (note 4), but touchwiz blah blah.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LastInLine posted:

I don't think the N6 is much of an upgrade over the N5 if the size isn't your main goal. Side by side an unencrypted N5 is faster than the N6 (which comes encrypted by default).

Guess I have to post this again

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Massasoit posted:

Any recommendations for a Bluetooth keyboard to use with a nexus 5? Is like to be able to take notes during meetings without lugging around a10 lbs laptop.

My Nokia e90 was perfect for this pre-iPhone revolution, it should be possible to refresh this with a modern touch screen on both sides and get a decent thickness nowadays

It was the only physical keyboard phone that was actually better than what we have today.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Dohaeris posted:

Picked up a Nexus 6 after my LG G2 bit the dust. Also ended up with a gift card to Best Buy who of course, carry no kinds of anything for the Nexus 6. Any case/screen protector recommendations? Or other accessories. The wireless charging sounds cool, but for 50 bucks it's a bit steep...

Diztronic TPU case is goon approved. Tylt Vu is pretty cool but turbo charging is better.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ruby idiot railed posted:

Speaking of Tylt Vu the car charger is finally out (only available in gray pad so far, the other colors aren't out yet). I'm getting one because the iOttie wireless charger mount clips aren't wide and deep enough for my Note4 w/ case.

I don't really like the base of the mount, but hopefully if the pad isn't as good as the iOttie's and it's a standard ball thing I'll just use one of my iOttie bases.

Ugh I want this but the fuckin Saudis made it cost $139 Cdn.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Someone with a Nexus 6 get this and tell me if it works if you leave a case on your phone.

Considering the Vu works fine I'm sure it would too?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I almost pulled the trigger before remembering I don't like having my giant phone at face level while driving in the perpetual dark pouring rain misery that is the pacific northwest.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Turnquiet posted:

It only took 3 months, lots of emails, sending a pdf of my credit card number so they could re-auth the charge, and another flurry of emails, but Tylt finally loving shipped the Vue I ordered on Thanksgiving Day. Anyone else still waiting on theirs? Jesus. I bet they wouldn't have bothered seeking re-auth on the credit card if I didn't follow up on it after month 2 of waiting. Fuckers.

Mine just happened to be shipped the same day I called to find out what's going on. I've heard enough of these stories to believe they're not rushing to get them out at 50% off.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

nerve posted:

Where my nigga CLAM at?

Confirming the VU CAR works with an N6 in a Diztronic case.

Any way we could see a pic of it in your car? I am having trouble imagining it not being obtrusive.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 14, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Heh thanks, looked like actual car-sized photos on my monitor. Pro-tip, put an L before the .jpg for reasonable sized photos.

So it doesn't stick to the window? My dash is all curvy and poo poo

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

butt dickus posted:

The Turbo also has a QHD screen. It does have a bigger battery and a smaller screen with different tech, though.

My Nexus 6's battery life is way better than my 1080p Note 3's so QHD doesn't necessarily mean bad battery life.

Also a lot of the new phones have turbo charging so even if you only have access to an outlet during a 30 minute lunch break it's more than enough.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Boz0r posted:

How durable are they? I've smashed two galaxies.

They are the least durable flagship phone. Sony goes for looks over function - although everyone has adapted a similar style since so the looks aren't as unique anymore either.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="441722972"]
People with a Moto Keylink: how has it been working for you? My Cobra Tag finally died.

I can't attach it to my keychain anymore because the ... string? that connects it fell apart and I only found half of it. I intend to go to some locksmithy type store and buy something to reconnect it, but I can't recommend it. Beyond the build quality, it failed to work properly about a third of the time.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Plus complaining about lollipop even though it's by far the best version of Android yet.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

All this new Google Wallet poo poo will probably never be available in Canada :(

We are years ahead of America in debit card tech, so who knows, but you're probably right.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

nerve posted:

Same. I was under the impression that the Nexus 6 was one of the phones pretty universally working well on lollipop.

It is. No silent mode or LED are my only quibbles.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

repiv posted:

The glass chin is where the display/digitizer driver lives. It's possible to squeeze buttons on top of it, as HTC used to do before they switched on on-screen ones, but there's no way to fit a large speaker on there.

I admit it's goofy looking but it can't be helped without losing the nice audio v:shobon:v

This is BS, N6 has virtually no bezels with amazing speakers.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Three Olives posted:

gently caress you Note Edge buyers, yeah, we just said gently caress it after a few months.

I asked a friend who works at a Bell store (Verizon/AT&T equivalent) in a wealthy neighbourhood how many Note Edges they've sold and he said one, total. It has a very prominent display/marketing, but no one wants to pay extra for the curve. Note 4s sell like hotcakes.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I honestly kinda like the looks of the S6 edge but it's impractical and watching MKBHD's video showed it's still a janky piece of poo poo. Good for them for getting rid of the swipe fingerprint scanning though.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Stick100 posted:

Ummm, what? I just watched his video and his closing line is "I think if I was choosing between the two right now I'd choose the S6 edge". He was incredibly positive on the edge. Granted it's way too early to make final decisions but the S6 edge looks like a really decent phone. I'm really surprised Google has let Samsung be sole owner of dual window for years now.

I was referring to the way the UI lagged and chugged as he scrolled. I really don't miss that. Saw something similar on an HTC One M9 video. (no it's not my computer)

And I thought dual window was pretty useless on my Note 3.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bronin posted:

Guys, I don't know what's wrong with me but I'm actually kinda interested in the Galaxy S6.
Bright display, great camera, no plastic, a finger print reader that supposedly works and built in qi charging.

What is happening :magical:

Samsung hardware has been top notch for a long time. Now the exterior is high end, so you should like that side of it. Software is still the weakness.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

NihilismNow posted:

Why is metal and glass considered high end when they are clearly inferior materials to make a phone out of? Plastic is lighter, deals with shocks better, cheaper, doesn't block radio signals and returns to its original form after it has been bent. Who are all these people who insist on more glass on their phone that can break?

I dunno, but Samsung obviously felt like being "the cheap looking phone" was causing them to lose market share. I always have a case personally so I almost feel like I shouldn't buy an HTC One or whatever since it's such a waste.

baka kaba posted:

I just saw a long Samsung ad in the middle of the evening news in the UK, showing the event unveiling of the S6, people using it on the show floor, and then a couple of PR people talking about how nice all the features are. I don't really watch much TV but I don't think they usually livestream launch events into primetime ad slots

I think they'll be pushing this one cyber hard

On that note, time to check out some cyber babe... what the heck !

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The only thing I can think of, is city parking. I know a friend of mine that went into NYC to take the NYPD test and forgot where he parked his car. Walked around for like 2 hours before finding it. I guess the card would have helped him out in that specific instance, but I can't think of anything else.

Most big cities have multi-level parking either underground or stacked high. I usually can't even get a cellular signal where I park because I'm three storeys underneath a tower.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

mobby_6kl posted:

Great stories, guys! :thumbsup:

Same.

Alleged Lollipop problems are a smear campaign by shadowy Big KitKat advocates.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LastInLine posted:

Seems like I'm always the guy saying things work for me but I don't have a Facebook account so I'd believe it's related.

Same. Wanna circle me on Google Plus

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Why is your experience legit and no one else's? My N6 says 17 hours left on the battery right now.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

MKBHD is great but he's losing focus a bit, being eaten by his own celebrity. Like his videos of fancy concept cars where he just shows them and that's it. Who cares? It doesn't appeal to car fans due to the lack of detail, or his traditional audience.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nexus 6 is noticeably faster on 5.1, this rules.

So you get delivery before me and 5.1 before me, what the butt

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I afford new phones every year by keeping my old phone in mint condition and selling them for a good chunk of what they cost me on contract. e.g. I got $385 for my locked Note 3 last week. I'll get even more for my unlocked Nexus 6 next year, then I'll buy another phone on contract.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm on T-Mobile, so I can't do the sell off contract phone thing. It sounds like a good idea, although that's still what, $2-300 you're losing every year?

I see it more as always having the best phone available at a discount than "losing" $200-300.

LastInLine posted:

To be fair, $300/year is essentially nothing. It's a particularly high heating bill or a minor issue with the car.

Holey moley I can't imagine paying that much for heat. I've been upset that my hydro-electric bill is all the way up to $45. But I agree, as an adult you throw away $300 all the time. I'm gonna go to Seattle next week and it'll cost me that much. But it'll save me $150 on shoes.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I use my tylt vu at night and my turbo charger when I'm in a hurry :shrug:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Is the stock nexus 6 camera freezing every other photo while in airplane mode a known thing? I'm traveling internationally right now and have lost a lot of photos because the camera app is constantly crashing. Only a full reboot makes the camera operational again. It complains about not being able to communicate with G+, and also duplicates all the photos I don't lose.

Its the first technical issue I've had with lollipop/n6.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

enojy posted:

Do you have auto-backup to Google+ and/or location services enabled in the camera's settings? That's the first thing that comes to mind.

Yes, but you'd hope that wouldn't cause the camera to crash before it even saves the photo locally.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Exitlights posted:

I'm torn on the S6 vs. S6 Edge. To any owners of either: do you wish you had gone for the other version, don't care, or are you glad for the one you picked?

Do you care about looks or not? That's all it is, so if you're the type that would buy a flashy car, then buy the Edge. If you prefer a Corolla, buy a regular.:caranalogy:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Desk Lamp posted:

Sounds to me like you have S-voice set to launch via a double press of the home key and something either in software or hardware is making your presses register double. If that's the case disabling the shortcut should fix it.

But but but then how will he use S Voice?!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

It doesn't look like Samsung has done much with Touchwiz besides stop calling it Touchwiz, so the regular complaints about it will continue with the S6.

I used to be in the "touchwiz ain't so bad guys!" camp but after several months with the N6 I find myself not even being able to consider an HTC or LG phone, let alone another Samsung. Always behind the goon trends. Or maybe ahead, I'm not sure anymore.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Thermopyle posted:

This is the exact opposite of what just about every professional and user review has said. I haven't touched one yet, so maybe you can explain why you disagree?

Every year they say they've improved Touchwiz, and they really do a bit, but it's not significantly different than last gen. The upgrade to Lollipop from KitKat is a bigger improvement.

It's a perfectly usable UI, just an unnecessary and universally negative change to a UI that looks and works better stock.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The strange thing is the Nexus 6 seems to handle every update just fine. It's like they tested it on that only and said "good to go."

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

lelandjs posted:

Just picked up a Nexus 6 (coming from a 6 Plus).

Might just be because it's brand new but holy poo poo it feels like the fastest phone I've ever used. Lollipop is amazing.

Mine actually sped up with the 5.1 update.

My Apple fanboy brother (6 owner) was playing with it during our delayed easter dinner this weekend and he was impressed.

On a related note I had taken my G Watch R off and he was amazed that he could very casually say "OK Google, text Eric, hi Eric" and his watch would beep. Even "text Dad" worked - kinda creepy that Google knew who my dad was.

Even my 69 year old mom said "that was amazing!" and she barely understands cell phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Cultural Imperial posted:

I've gone through about 7 mobile phones in 6 years. In that time, I've never used a case for my phone. I finally bought a spigen for my n6 and it looks retarded. :(

I've hated every Spigen case I've ever bought, but they're really good at being available pre-launch so I always end up with one. Get a diztronic tpu, really is great.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 13, 2015