Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Thermopyle posted:

Google researchers finally published a paper on Tacotron. It's a new voice synthesis engine that does pretty good!

Anyway, the paper is not really in the wheelhouse of this thread, but I thought I'd post the samples page in this thread because it'll probably be incorporated into Assistant at some point...

gently caress, is there anything you can't solve by throwing enough neural networking at it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

dont be mean to me posted:

Yeah that's what happens when you don't do linguistic and cultural research before naming your product.

Here comes the funcooker UI!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Jigoku posted:

gently caress SD cards, gently caress yeah cloud.

There is no cloud, it's just someone else's SD card

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

docbeard posted:

I can't wait til Google partners with OnePlus to manufacture the Pixel 3.

I can't wait til Google buys oneplus for patents only to close them 6 months later

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Wacky Delly posted:

I usually just use incognito mode and remove the suggestions from SwiftKey when they show up.

SwiftKey also has an incognito mode

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

YeahTubaMike posted:

Hello, folks. After 3+ years of Windows Phone ownership (first Samsung Ativ S Neo, then Lumia 950), I am taking the plunge and will be receiving an HTC One M8 on Wednesday. I'm very excited, but also please let me know if I've actually ruined my life. Thank you in advance. :unsmith:

I hope you didn't pay more than like 50 bucks for that 3 year old phone.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I, for one, welcome our old Google AI overlords

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

God dammit Google. You can take my blob emojis when I need to upgrade from my cold, dead phone! 😠

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

It's a RAMpage!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Excuse the moonspeak but do we have a :dice: version of :google: yet?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I finally got over myself and bought a g5+ to replace my slowly dying n5.

It is indeed cool and good.

I do miss my lollipop blob people though. See you in heaven, little dancer blob. Still hoping to get O someday and be able to restore them to their former glory.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

docbeard posted:

Unless the clap emoji was changed from a picture of hands clapping to an embedded self destruct instruction that spreads to every device owned by the person who entered it

This but for 🤔

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ragingsheep posted:

Just dial 116 instead.

👎🙃

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Internet Explorer posted:

bootloop problems.

If you're having bootloop problems I feel bad for you son, my phone has 99 problems but bootloops ain't one.

Trip reporting on my g5+ to make up for the above:
Got it almost 8 weeks now. Bought the 3gb/32gb European variant from Amazon for 274,10€, coming from a 3+ year old Nexus5.

The phone feels fast, or at least always fast enough. I haven't noticed any slowdowns, which coming from the slowly dieing n5 is probably an easy task yet still very pleasant.

The battery life is really good, lasting me 2 days on my normal everyday use and the whole day when using it heavily.

The screen is nice, if maybe a bit unsaturated compared to the n5. I set the auto-brightness higher than on the n5 as it seems to be more aggressive. It's 1080p which is enough in my opinion, though looks better than the n5 which had some sort of horizontal screen door effect.

The camera exists in a quantum state between pretty OK and dog poo poo. With the n5 always making photos with quality somewhere in the middle, the g5+ is a different experience where some images will come out basically unusable, half not that good and the rest kinda nice. The camera is terrible at low light shots (basically just as bad as the nexus was). Remember those pictures taken at night with a Pixel? Yeah not like those at all. Any bright object like a lamp will ruin your day night. If you want/need a phone that will always take a good photo, this is not the one for you. If you already got a g5+ and need to take a good picture, take 1 or 10 more shots than you think you need and also hope it's not night, because if so you're hosed.
It does shoot 120fps slow-motion video, though tiny (720p) or 30fps 4k video ( but afaict there is no image stabilization so good luck with that).

Among the smaller downsides is the mono, top front-speaker which is a bit distracting watching in landscape. On the other hand coming from an n5 with its speaker at the bottom side of the device, it's an improvement I guess.

My 3gb variant also does not seem to have a compass for some reason which is the weirdest, most unnecessary and annoying lack of a feature I have ever had. Like what could it possibly cost. A dollar? Just why? Gotta read the specs more carefully next time.
I mean it doesn't matter if you're using turn by turn in a car as gmaps will compensate but using it on foot is really stupid with the pointer always showing north instead of where you're going.

Oh and while it's bootlooping it did restart twice for no reason yesterday. I hope it'll stay at that. May be from the security update from the week before that updated me from January 1st to May 1st. Yeah don't expect monthly updates.

All in all it's better than a 3 year old nexus 5. And while that isn't a very high bar to clear it's probably enough for a lot of people who just want a phone that is not poo poo. And for me it's enough until the Pixel 2. Maybe even 3 if it's poo poo.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 24, 2017

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ofecks posted:

4) Recommendations for a music library app (alternative to Google Play Music)? I'm kind of old and basic so I have a ton of mp3s/aacs/flacs that I listen to via Windows Media Player on my PC and plan to have all of those on a microSD for the phone. Something with a bass-boost setting (like WMP's SRS options) would be good, but I think I saw somewhere in audio settings you can adjust that?

Try powerAmp

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

LastInLine posted:

All I care about in terms of headphone jack is that it's on the same end of the phone as the notification LED. Oh and that it has one.

Oh yeah, the lack of notification led is another thing that makes the g5+ only an interim phone for me. Yeah it has some sort of active display nonsense but that only works if you wake the phone in some way. So if you miss the sound/vibration, the phone will give you no indication that a thing happened.

Which one was the LG pixel 2 again? Hopefully the XL

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

What is wrong with your 👏 emoji?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Jose posted:

What are the main differences between the pixel and G5+ because buying the pixel XL is £450 and the G5+ is £270

The g5+ is a phone that is good enough, while the pixel is a phone that is good

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

With a 5x she is sol in any case, so yes

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Incessant Excess posted:

Looking at them side by side, I can't imagine buying the non XL.

The XL is more expensive and built by LG.

Still, it's like HTC used up all the time negotiating and selling their team to Google and had to recycle last years phone.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Lmao at them not showing the giant bezels on the small pixel and using the XL for all front view shots.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Specs page confirmed the eSim

That's going to be... interesting to deal with

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Combat Pretzel posted:

Reading about LG's issues with P-OLED is fun.

Was there a post here that I skipped or do you have a link?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Munkaboo posted:

gently caress I just realized the Pixel 2's dont have MicroSD slots... gently caress that. Why do phone companies insist on only having 64 gigs in the base model?

The last Google smartphone with a SD card slot came out in 2010

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I totally forgot. My GF is getting a P2XL. Can you guess how she tested if she can deal with the size, coming from a N5?

I couldn't stop laughing for like 5 minutes when she showed me

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Endless Mike posted:

Cardboard cutout

It even has pictures on the front and back (gotta know if you can hit that fingerprint reader I guess?)

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

baka kaba posted:

I bet she could sell that on eBay

Combat Pretzel posted:

You in Germany? If so, I thought they weren't going to be dispatched before mid-November?

--edit: God, I'm so dumb.

I guess so

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Zero VGS posted:

Does 6P even have 8 yet?

Edit... maybe it's cause I'm rooted... maybe not though

If you're rooted you ain't getting poo poo.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

RZA Encryption posted:

Can confirm. Mines real good.

Please don't use your phone to aquire crypto currencies.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

You can probably thank the KRACK exploit for that

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

If you even can find one that doesn't bootloop yet

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

There's also Amdroid
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amdroidalarmclock.amdroid

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

maltesh posted:

So the Horse God wanting Endura Carrots: That's new post-DLC2, right? The times I had her ressurect murdered horses earlier this year she didn't charge anything, best I can recall.

A Pixel (2) or a Moto G5+

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

On the inside / software? No. On the outside / the screen? Yes.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

CLAM DOWN posted:

Don't loving buy a OnePlus phone how many times do we have to repeat it

And even if you MUST buy a oneplus phone, don't buy it from oneplus!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Don't make me write a loving manual, people

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Similarly to your wifi problem, I recently switched providers and now get whatever the moto g5+ calls 4G+

The problem is sometimes the reception fluctuates wildly between 4g and 4g+. This wouldn't be a problem if a) it didn't instantly reflect the change leading to the icon flashing 10 times a second for a bit and b) both 4g and 4g+ were the same width. Instead it causes everything to the right to move, including the wifi, alarm, vibrate and dnd icons.

I would record it for your amusement but I'm too lazy

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Is this why they're adding support for the iPhone notch to Android? So they can use the left over panels?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The best thing about it is that it makes the minecraft guy harder to google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

If the phone has a glass back, I need a case

If I need a case, I can't see the back

If I can't see the back, it doesn't need to be glass

Alternatively don't drop your phone or expose it to fluctuating temperatures. And sand. And ...