Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Mine worked perfectly from launch, and only broke very recently when maps started showing my house number off by about 50 yards

I'm going off a gps location now and reported the suggested location correction to Google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Now that is a classy charging station

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Its a pain but I find wiping the cache from recovery helps, I usually do it once a week or so

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm not disagreeing with you in any way, just saying that helps

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Is this any different from just wiping it from the app manager screen?

not a clue

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

LastInLine posted:

How is SMS from your computer worth anything more than $0/m?

vvv So you went with the yearly plan, eh? I'm going month-to-month.

It should probably be pointed out the subscription price is for the Pro version of mightytext, which is only useful if you want to send mass texts or use their online photo storage

The basic 'send sms from your PC or tablet' stuff is completely free

I use pushbullet for everything but the sms side of things, as I generally find mightytext is better at it overall

It can do notification mirroring too, but pushbullet does that better..

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Incredible is a bit of a stretch..

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Skeezy posted:

It's a little disappointing HTC didn't go all the way and add wireless charging.

The metal body rather prevents that

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

nerve posted:

Did you Nexus 6 owners know you can enable "OK Google" from any screen & screen off? I just saw this in the settings and it's life changing for driving.

Thats been a thing for a while, and not even a Lollipop thing I don't think, but for some reason its a regional/language or who the gently caress knows who Google will let have it thing.

Some people have the option, some dont

e: maybe not screen off, but definitely from any screen

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

FAUXTON posted:

The flash-all.bat didn't work for me either (said boot.IMG wasn't there) so I manually flashed each part - boot loader, then radio, then boot, then system. Works just peachy.

And yes the update seems to have eradicated the memory leak.

E: yeah, just opened a bunch of news articles in chrome and hit the home button, went straight to the home screen, no redraw or goofy "hurrrr did you mean google now" fuckery.

E2: same when going through Facebook and opening a couple Verge articles about the new apple hardware. Both Chrome and the Facebook internal browser seem to be way less laggy, too.

I'd give it a few days at least before we say its fixed, even a fresh install of 5.02 seems good for a day or two before the redraws etc starts

Even though the bug is still marked as open, switching in and out of priority mode via a setRingerMode command seems fixed. Before today Llama could only put you into priority notification mode, it couldn't bring it out again.

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 10, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The hardest bit is getting the actual battery out. Its stuck down pretty well and there's not much space for leverage round the side.

Also when reassembling make sure you click back in the upper centre area of the back shell, not just the edges. That's got the vibration and qi connectors in it

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Everything in android is pulling stuff, its hardly new

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

And if anyone is still struggling it tells you exactly how if you tap the icons

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

WugLyfe posted:

It's a media thing. Has to be able to run the latest Android OS at any given time in that span without an incident that'll leave me with a problem that'd slow down my workflow.

Hahaa, holy poo poo are you a real person

Beep boop

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Sereri posted:

Hadn't had a laucher redraw or need for a reboot since I updated to 5.1 on Friday. :shrug:

Yeah mine is doing good too a week in, battery life is about the same but my memory use is holding solid. Its had about every usage pattern since then too

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

FAUXTON posted:

If you're on the road a lot I could see the need for long, sequential reads if that's what happens when watching animes.

How about a ~media thing~

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Require More Fire posted:

So Smart Lock Trusted Places has decided to stop working on my N7 out of the blue. Trusted Devices works fine but now it will not stay unlocked at my house no matter what I do. So far I've tried uninstalling updates from Play Services and reinstalling, reboots, turning Smart Lock off and then on again and redoing my trust place, and various combinations of those things. Does anyone have any other things to try before I give in and wipe this thing? It's on 5.0.2 and AFAIK Play Services is up-to-date.

Have you checked your home location is actually where your house is on maps? Google shifted my house number 50 yards for no apparent reason a while back

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 18, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Rusty! posted:

On body detection? Where did that spring from?

Anyone tried this out yet?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

PinnacleOrBust posted:

In other news, trusted places seems to be broken for me.
If you have it set to unlock at 'home' you need to check on maps that your home location is actually where your house is

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Having worked great for me for ages, this latest update appears to have broken it for me too

Maps shows home as exactly where I am, and enabling and disabling hasn't helped

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thermopyle posted:

If that's the case you should have a policy that completely disallows the use of smart unlock because they could just steal the phone and walk over to your place of business to unlock it.

Well not quite, it always asks for the pin once when you arrive at the location

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Say "OK Google" isn't disappearing from the search bar and its bugging me :arghfist: :spergin:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Try setting another trusted location as 'my current location'

E: when you are at home that is..

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah, it's since the update that brought on body detection along

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

hooah posted:

That worked, but ...why?

'Home' isnt quite where you are, and maybe one phone is getting a higher accuracy lock would be my guess

E: and seconding on body detection, it's working surprisingly well

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 23, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh I was talking about say OK Google not disappearing, I haven't noticed any battery issues myself

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

LastInLine posted:

Ah. I've noticed a slight difference this week to last. I chalked it up to having rebooted to apply some AdAway filters causing Play Services to run amok for a bit but the on-body detection makes a lot more sense. I use Nova so I haven't seen the "Say OK Google..." in my search bar.

It's odd that the two would have anything to do with each other though as one is a Play Services update and the Search update.

Pretty sure both got an update at the same time

It also coincided with me sticking a spare qi charger on my desk at work, so I don't really notice battery problems any more

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Turnquiet posted:

gently caress, when did this get so hard? It used to be that you could download the SDK and run adb and fastboot out of platform tools, but jesus, nothing is simple anymore. gently caress it all, time to let the update come to me in Google's own time. I ain't got time for this poo poo anymore.

EDIT: Against my better judgement I installed Java to run the Android Dev software since that is a new thing since 5.0+, but basic instructions still don't work. I reiterate, gently caress it. gently caress CJ-ing my phone, joke's on me for wasting an hour pretending like I was still a scrub who had the patience to read a bunch of nerd poo poo to get the latest software on my phone.

I've been using this for a while, at least the 1.3 version, not tried the new one

its always worked with no issues, both win 7 and 8.1

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

Just run, say yes to the prompts

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yep, I'll quite often leave Play Music running a instant mix of random stuff on my n10 for hours at a time, and every now and again I'll have to hit play when it pauses.

Thats without access, and nothing pinned

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Could be, haven't seen it on my n5 but then I don't really use it much on there

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

-Blackadder- posted:

So I've got my droid turbo and I'm trying to figure out how to increase the battery life. I downloaded the Battery Doctor App and it seems to be able to identify and turn off a bunch of things(70+ apps) that are running in the background, but apparently they don't stay off. Maybe they are on some kind of auto update mode or something, I dunno.

Can anyone tell what I can do to increase battery life? Maybe an app or some settings I can change?

I'd start by uninstalling that terrible app and hoping it puts everything back the way it was when you do

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

CHARLES posted:

I use a combination of this firewall application and llama to limit automated network activity and to turn off the wi-fi/bluetooth when I leave my house (plus other things). Other than that I dunno, get a portable charger?

Also, if anyone knows a better firewall-type app than the one I linked I'd like to hear about it.

You do realise cocking about with background network stuff and turning off WiFi could be making your battery worse right?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Plus lack of Wifi means any location request will go straight to the battery hungry GPS, when a coarse Wifi request would have been enough

Your phone isn't going to just connect to any random hot spot unless you specifically tell it to, so the privacy argument is silly

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Dont install lovely apps then?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Seriously hard

right

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

actionjackson posted:

Well I gave it a try last night so I'll see how the battery usage is today now. It is a legitimate issue which there are some utilities for but all require rooting. Those people came up with solutions but they all require rooting.
Holy poo poo :psyduck:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You just downloaded a web page called modalert.html

It wasn't an app install

RZA Encryption posted:

edit: please still answer my question but a quick google shows you're hosed.

That just shows a bunch of pages that have a modalert.html in it somewhere. You'd get the same results without the spyware bit

E: and when you got the info on it, you were probably just looking at the download manager app info page

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 19, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

They do tend to get quite hot though, you could be setting yourself up for some fiery death

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I know you mentioned the Moto x, but they are so so cheap on ebay (uk) at the moment. Almost cheap enough if they need replacing in a year it would still be worth it

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Phone posting too but about 130 quid new, loads of em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

:barf: