Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Just for the fun of it, can people post their AnTuTu score of their phone(s)?

For my Xiaomi MI4 it's 44579.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Reverse Centaur posted:

Never tried this but apparently my N6 is the best phone ever made?

Thats loving fast! Mine is just a tad over the M8.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

baka kaba posted:

Yeah it shows up for everyone in play movies eventually I think

At the moment, I've got Shaun the Sheep for free...

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

baka kaba posted:

Yeah I got that a while back when they first started giving away Gravity, just in case it was blocking the offer. Even when I said I didn't want it it kept coming back, so I figured I needed to bite the bullet on this one

Oh well... Might as well watch it when I'm bored.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
So, dilemma time for me.

My work has offered the employees a mobile phone for private (semi) private use. What we can chose between is a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 or a iPhone 6 Plus.

My wife already got a Note 3, and I do like the size of it - as far as I can see, boththe phones offered from work are roughly the same size.

So, what should I chose?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

RZA Encryption posted:

Do you have the option of not getting either? When your employer gives you a phone, it's basically saying "you're always on the clock".

Well, it's not like they're going to call me after 2:30 in the afternoon with a statistical problem ;)

My contract says, that I'm avaiable from 7 in the morning to 2:30 in the afternoon, Monday to Friday.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Well do you like Android or iOS? Your options are basically the most prominent hugephones of each platform.

I like both, but I'm using a MacBook Air at home, and LInux at work...

As it looks now, I'm leaning towards the iPhone.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Boz0r posted:

I'm in Denmark, so I have TDC. They don't have Motorolas, but the do have Samsung, Nokia, Sony, Huawei and LG.

I though the Galaxies were a fine size.

How much are you willing to spend on a phone? You can get an unlocked Xiaomi MI4 (a chinese phone running MIUI - Android 4.4.4) from $369.99 from http://www.xiaomishop.com/28-eu-direct

It can be had in either a 16GB or a 64GB version.

Got one myself for roughly DKR 2500,- including shipping.

A really good phone - but I sold it when we at work got a Samsung Note 4.

E: Any particular reason you're on TDC? If not, you should change company to something else, TDC is just too expensive.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Wow, I assumed my note 4 would never get lollipop. I wonder how long it will take USC to approve the update.

I've had Lollipop for about 10 days now (used Odin to flash the German update on my Danish Note 4).

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

PBCrunch posted:

I accepted the Lollipop update on my Sprint Note 4 a while ago. Battery life seems to be OK, but the Wifi is atrocious. I know my Wifi is working because other devices can connect and access internet resources.

My phone can connect to Wifi, and it will work for a few minutes, but eventually the Wifi stops working.

I can still ping/SSH/RDP machines on my local network, so I know I am connected.
I can connect to internet resources by IP address.
Using PingTools I can ping google.com, but no other 'named' addresses.
I tried setting up my Wifi connection with static IP and static DNS 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.8.4, but still no dice.

I have tried deleting the settings for my router on my phone, but that does not work. The only thing that gets the Wifi to run again is to reboot the phone, and then the Wifi only works properly for a few minutes. Sprint-provided data is unaffected by this problem. Rebooting the router does not work. Other devices connect and use the router's connection with no problems.

Any ideas?

Have you tried to turn off "Smart wifi" (I think it's called)?

It helped when my wifi connection was flaky at home.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Spoondick posted:

I'm thinking about reverting the OS on my Note 4 to 4.4.4 using the process outlined here. Are there reputable places to get 4.4.4 firmware? Want to avoid flashing my phone with adulterated firmware.

Sammobile.com

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Strange thing happende to my Note 4 - the dialer icon on the lock screen disappeared after I had to factory reset the phone.

Any way to get it back again? Or should I just download Hi Locker and call it a day?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Waltzing Along posted:

Would someone make a recommendation for a case? Just a simple cover with one special feature: a cutout in the inside for a credit card. This is for a Galaxy S5. Had one for my S3 and the hideaway was very handy. Can't seem to find one for the S5 so far.

You could go for a wallet cover?

Samsung makes one for the S5, and it got room for a credit card inside.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/accessories/case/EF-WG900BBEGWW

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Skarsnik posted:

Argos, the laminated catalogue of dreams

Laminated to catch the tears of joy!

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Sereri posted:

While that may be, and the 12€ price for the battery seems ok, shipping to Europe appears to be almost 65€. At that point I might as well buy a broken N5 on ebay and use it's battery instead.

I don't know if you're in Germany, but take a look here: http://www.meintrendyhandy.de/shop/lg-nexus-5-225776c1.html

I've used the danish version of the store, ,and they're quite good, haven't had any troubles with them before.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Must Love Dogs posted:

Good news everyone! You can buy a OnePlus 2 without an invite today, tomorrow, and Monday!

A what?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
I'm shopping for a new phone to replace my Samsung Note 4 - I just want something with a 5" or smaller screen.

I've narrowed my choices down to the two following phones:

Sony Xperia Z5 Compact

HTC One A9

Can anybody give me some input?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

If you're hellbent on <5", iPhone, and I'm not joking.

Security is not a feature and it's still (possibly always will be) tied up in parts that can't be updated from Google Play. HTC is on shaky ground as a going concern and the North American versions of the Z5 and Z5c are oddball forks with no fingerprint support that probably won't see the same care as the standard model - read: slack updates at best.

This is pretty much the pattern these days. Undersized phones generally have cheaper components and a weaker duty of care because they're not what the media (social or otherwise) is paying attention to. Sony's don't but they're not the norm and we're getting the gimped version so it's just as bad. If you want a phone that is actually something you can use for more than a few months without sweating the security, it'll be big, except for the aforementioned exception.

If you insist on Android, abandon small screens - and then I'd either wait a few months to see how other manufacturers adapt to Google's monthly security update policy or just say screw it get a Nexus.

Should perhaps put in that I'm in Europe.

So, you'd recommend that I get a Nexus 5X instead of the HTC?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

That would have helped.

And yeah. It might be worth looking at Sony's update history but the Nexus 5X is barely over five inches (and has a limited bezel so it's not going to feel like a hugephone; think 2014 Moto X or 'iPhone 6 with a case on it') and since Google doesn't have to bend its own arm you'll never have to do legwork of your own worrying whether you'll get system patches. Get the 32 GB model; system will eat a lot of a 16 and you can't add more later.

Excellent! The 32GB is the only model I can get here.

Although it looks like Marshmallow is rolling out for the Z5 series at the moment - at least in Turkey.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Does it get monthly security patches, or are they just going to go "you have the new version, what more do you want"?

I somehow doubt that - more like "here you go, bitch to somebody else".

So yeah, thinking about that, looks like I'll be getting a Nexus 5X :)

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Anyone with a note 4 notice that marshmallow killed the live weather wallpaper? I want it back. :(

Well, at least you got Marshmallow - my N910F is still stuck on 5.1.1.

Even Note 4's in India and Poland got Marshmallow. But not Nordics.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

teagone posted:

Officially announced that a handful of Chromebook models will be getting the entire Android app catalog next month, and that a bunch of other models will get it later in 2016... looked at the officially supported model list and my lowly C720 isn't on it.

:sigh:

Haha!

My Asus Chromebook Flip is :smug:

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Kerning Chameleon posted:

So, between Samsung's Notebombs, Google's Last Year's Phones for This Year's iPhone Prices (and their brick your old Nexus software updates, you naughty cheapass you), and Apple's LOL WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH HEADPHONE JACKS AMIRITE, I've picked literally The Worst Year to decide I need to start buying smartphones for GPS and 2FA That Doesn't Suck, haven't I?

goddamn it, what's wrong with my little go phone i don't expect much from my pocket phone ffs

To be honest, I think I'll just stick with my Huawei P9 - it's a great phone in my opinion.

Relatively up to date with security updates (currently running Android 6.0.1 with the 1. September 2016 update).

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

BurritoJustice posted:

Is the Huawei P9 a good phone? My mum's phone just kicked the bucket and her company is offering her this phone on her plan. Before everyone says buy a phone outright, phones are expensive in Australia and the plan with the phone is barely more expensive than the plan without a phone. Plus it's my parents doing it and they want to get a plan, not my call. The other phone on option is an S5, which I'm obviously not very hot on.

Got a Huawei P9, couldn't be happier, the last phone I had was Note 4. Never going to get a Samsung again.

If you've got any questions about the P9, let me know, and I'll try and answer them.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Joda posted:

SM-A310F. Carrier is a Scandinavian carrier called Telmore.

If it's on Telmore, it isn't locked to any particular carrier.

The only phones in Denmark, which are locked to a carrier, are iPhones.

Anyways, if you feel up for an adventure, you can download and flash the German (DBT) firmware.

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-A310F/DBT/

Kidney Stone fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 6, 2016

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Joda posted:

I probably will. Some more searching and apparently we most likely aren't getting it on A3s in Denmark at all because they're not localising it and for whatever loving reason they can't just let me get it anyway, because it's super important that I get a localised version?

One of the main reasons I got a new phone in the first place was battery life, and as I understand it 6 is better in that regard. Also, luckily it's an all new phone, so any data I might want to transfer is already part of my Google account. Say something goes wrong during the flashing process, is it possible to recover somehow? Some guides out there make it sound like it's a decent shot it'll turn my phone into a very expensive fashion statement.

It's not at all difficult to flash new formware onto a Samsung phone - just follow the instructions here:

https://androidmtk.com/flash-samsung-stock-rom-using-odin

And, if you need any help, drop me a PM - I might be able to help you out in person, depending on where you are in Denmark?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Joda posted:

That was surprisingly smooth. Didn't even have to restore my data or anything, apps, contacts, messages, everything's there. Thanks for the help!

Great to hear!

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Mental Hospitality posted:

I am 95% on buying the new Mate 10 Pro when it goes on sale in the U.S. I really don't care about the lack of a headphone jack and I haven't had an OLED phone in quite a while. I just hope they keep the price reasonable.

I am extremely interested if their whole AI/neural network chip is actually beneficial.

Just got an Huawei P10, but have signed up for the Mate 10 Pro - oh well, can always use the P10 as a backup phone.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Of course I need a second phone - just ordered a Huawei Mate 10 Pro in blue.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Syrinxx posted:

Where'd you order it from and how much was it? I didn't see it on any sites although I haven't looked very hard.

Most of the cellphone companies here in Denmark have it ready for preorder - with delivery in a month.

It costs me $50 a month for the first 6 months, and then $35 for the remaining 18 months. The price for the first 6 months are including free text messages, free minutes and 15 GB data each month.

And the phone comes with a Huawei CV60 360 panoramic camera.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Consider me interested in your thoughts of it. They're not for sale in the U.S. yet, but I am also considering one. Not sure if the AMOLED panel, SoC, and improved camera lenses are enough to upgrade from my Mate 9 (which has turned into may favorite smartphone out of the last 10).

I’ll let you know when I get it, then you can ask me some more specific questions.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

That looks like one expensive china phone

That might be because Huawei is a Chinese company?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Huawei's flagships are pretty good phones. The company has been #3 behind Samsung and Apple in global sales for the last couple years and they really want to take a bite out of them in the high end. When the Mate 9 was released in the U.S. it was priced at $599, which I thought a reasonable cost when I bought mine compared to Pixel XL. If the 10 they end up selling here is priced at Pixel 2 XL money, I think that would be a no-sale for me though (at least until the inevitable price slash).

The price for the Mate 10 Pro should be the same as the Mate 9 Pro - perhaps $50 more.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
I'm not really good with money.

Just got a OnePlus 6T two weeks ago, and ordered a Nokia 9 Pureview yesterday.

Let's see which one is taking the better pictures, the "worst" one will be sold again.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Anybody else got a problem with the Play Store after updating to Android 10?

When I open the Play Store, I only get a white blank screen.

I've tried to reset and clear the cache, but that doesn't help.

The phone is a Pixel 3 XL.

EDIT: Found the solution, it was a app called Google Play Verification, which somehow tried to connect to a defunct website - after uninstalling the app, and manually updating Google Play Store, everything is back to normal.

Kidney Stone fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 10, 2019

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Purr Objectives posted:

So my dad passed away suddenly at the beginning of the month and he had a Galaxy S9, my mom wants to wipe it and try to sell it (looking maybe $200 on Swappa) thing is we know the code to unlock it, but not the account code so any tips on how to complete this or are we SOL?

If you can unlock the phone, then you should be able to flash a new firmware onto it using Odin. That would, as far as I remember, reset the phone to factory settings (remove all accounts on it).

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Was bored, looking for something to replace a iPhone X with - had been looking at the new 12 Pro, but couldn't justify the price.

Ended up ordering a Sony Xperia 5 II (stupid name, but a nice phone).

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I've got an issue, and I'm betting the answer is "tough luck". I bought a pair of cheap wireless earbuds last year off Amazon (Amazon doesn't even list them anymore), and they always worked perfectly fine with my Note 9. Never had any issues.

Now that I've upgraded to a Galaxy S21+, those earbuds are randomly dropping out or disconnecting. My Anker earbuds at work and the bluetooth in my car work fine with my phone though.

Is there any reason that the specific combination of earbuds and phone would be causing this issue?

The only thing I could imagine is something to do with the Bluetooth protocol, but I might be wrong?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

GWBBQ posted:

A friend and her mom live 1000 miles apart. They both have the Galaxy S22 (SM-S901U) and mom is "hit the touchscreen harder if it doesn't do what you want the first time" tech savvy; and my friend is OK with technology and can figure out most of her mom's issues. Is there an easy, secure way for my friend to connect to her mom's phone (basically, set it up in advance with a password and require mom's permission to allow the connection)? It would be a bonus if I could join the remote session if they can't figure something out (yeah, I know the perils of doing tech support for friends and family.)

I use Teamviewer when I have to connect to my dad's phone and help him.

It's free for personal use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Any suggestions for a great case for a Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G?

Preferably something made out of leather, and has a frame around the cover display.