Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So after using iOS for a while and going back to lollipop I find myself really missing two things: app extensions (aka 1password filling in fields automatically in safari and some 3rd party apps) and touchid.

Does something comparable to app extensions not exist in android, or can I just not find it?

The android devices I have don't have a fingerprint scanner, for those that do how well does it actually work? Does it have the same ability to replace passcodes generically for any app that supports them, or does the implementation vary by vendor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

RVProfootballer posted:

LastPass fills in apps and Chrome, so I imagine any similar app should too. For fingerprint scanners, I know there are bad ones (Galaxy S5) and some that aren't as bad, just in terms of it reading your finger on the first try easily, but I don't think any are near as good as iPhone and I'm almost positive the integration in software is poor.

Ah, looks it must be a 1password limitation on android then, which I guess isn't super surprising.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Is there really not a way to my have my facebook calendar show up as a calendar with stock android (5.01 if that matters), the facebook app installed and the google calendar app? (really I just want Google Now to tell me when to drive to people stupid birthday parties in lovely Seattle traffic).

I don't see anything useful in the facebook app, calendar app or the accounts section, and googling it just leads me to people manually exporting poo poo into the google calendar or 3rd party apps.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

- Google Now and Moto Voice are cool and handy. I think I like this more than Siri.

Good lord Siri is terrible. Google Now and Cortana are so much better it's ridiculous.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So I visited some terrible right wing clickbait news stories from Facebook and now google now "stories to read" has terrible stupid crap popping up from time to time. Does swiping the article off tell google "stop showing me poo poo like this" or just remove that one article?

Basically is there some "stop showing me poo poo like this" setting or is it going to be easier to start hating Obama.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 2, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

LastInLine posted:

There should be a︙in the corner of the card. Hit that and tell it you aren't interested.

Yeah, that works for stuff with its own card, but not the stuff that gets aggregated in stories to read as fast as I can tell. Oh well.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

hotsauce posted:

Just when you thought SD cards went the way of the dodo, Google baked in a way to "marry" SD storage as if it were part of the phone:

http://developer.android.com/preview/behavior-changes.html#behavior-adoptable-storage

Can't wait on the crying that will happen en masse when said SD card fails and the entire phone breaks.

Microsoft used to do this with Windows Phone 7 and it was super lovely because people just buy the most garbagey SD cards they can.

EDIT: After reading more, this sounds less prone to failure than what Microsoft used to do, which was to "stitch together" the onboard storage and SD card into one unified chunk of storage, but I assume it will still end in tears.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 29, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone have any experience with the Alcatel Idol 3? A friend of mine is still on a Galaxy S2 and her boyfriend was going to buy her an Idol 3 to replace it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

We're seriously at a point in human history where people get anxiety when their phones ring?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Is there a better "dip my toe in the water" Android phone for the price than the 5x? I don't want a bunch of crap on the device, do want a fingerprint scanner and don't want to spend more than around $300 (so would probably do the Project Fi deal).

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 6, 2016

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

hotsauce posted:

May have something to do with the fact that there are 24,000 unique Android devices in the world.

Compare that to the number of iOS devices and I think you are off to a good start with understanding the fragmentation.

I'm certain it's more complicated/intricate than this, but Android must be a nightmare to develop for, given this. The SDK probably makes it easier now, but the past must have been a disaster.

https://techcrunch.com/2012/05/11/this-is-what-developing-for-android-looks-like/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Oh, good news everybody, that Note 7 that exploded in a kids hands wasn't actually a Note 7, but a different Samsung phone!

http://www.androidauthority.com/exploding-galaxy-note-7-childs-hands-clarification-716245/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

EugeneJ posted:

So are the overpriced phones a way for Google to promote Fi, or is Fi a way for Google to promote overpriced phones?

Fi is just one of those Google projects that they forgot about and haven't gotten around to killing yet. I'm sure they'll remember sometime in the next 2-3 new messaging platforms.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

LastInLine posted:

Surprised no one's talking about the Galaxy S8 leak:

I guess the fingerprint sensor moves to the rear and good luck with that inadvertent touch rejection.

Didn't they patent some "under the front glass" fingerprint sensor or some poo poo?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

mod sassinator posted:

Do Amazon special offers gently caress up lock screen notifications? Stuff like showing your text messages, etc. Thinking of getting the G5 plus and special offers but I don't want notifications to be screwed up. Is there a picture of exactly what a special offer lockscreen looks like?

edit: Here's what someone in another forum said "I have a Moto g4. ads are not a big deal. If you have a notification, the ad is the size of a front screen notification. if you do not have a notification, it is a full screen ad like a wallpaper. once the screen is unlocked it goes away" That's not too bad! Since it has a fingerprint reader it's not like you're going to see the lockscreen for long anyways if you use fingerprint to login. I have a feeling Amazon is underestimating how beneficial special offers will be for them on this device.

One more maybe dumb Amazon special offers phone question. Are those phones on a different upgrade track/schedule/whatever compared to normal unlocked phones? Are they getting OS updates, security updates, etc. at the same time?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

E2M2 posted:

Woops I guess I got that confused with their routers that look similar

Don't be silly, Google Home looks like an air freshener, their wifi routers look like toothbrush holders, they're completely different.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

How is Googles Preferred Care thing, I’ve had nothing but lovely times with Assurant in the past (unless I’m confusing them with someone else)

Also is there a usb c splitter basically so you can actually charge and listen to music with headphones on an airplane, or is that not allowed in the glorious future? I saw some on Amazon but apparently none of them actually work.

Edit: never mind on the splitter, there’s a $45 goddamn dongle coming soon on the Google store

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 5, 2017

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Lol $45, Apple isn’t even that ballsy

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 5, 2017

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I'm planning on picking up a Moto g5 plus, but I noticed there are two versions. Newegg has the Moto 5g+ and Walmart has the Moto 5gs, they are both $230. The only difference I could find is that the 5gs has a 13 MP camera instead of 12, and it has dual rear cameras. Does that make the 5gs a no brainer or is there something else I should watch out for?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Motorola-Moto-G5-Plus-Special-Edition-32GB-Unlocked-Smartphone-Lunar-Gray/631445266#read-more

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875209507&cm_re=moto_g5-_-75-209-507-_-Product

Yeah, S model is a no brainer, although at some point I think it will cost slightly more.

S model has:

slightly bigger screen
slightly bigger battery
dual rear cameras
better front camera
higher quality exterior

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I went windows phone -> iOS a while ago and don’t love it. I’ve got a 128GB Pixel 2 XL on order but the glut of cheap Pixel XLs for roughly half the price has me reconsidering (as does the lack of the headphone jack).

Beyond maybe not getting Android Quacker Jack (or whatever the hell it’ll be called) any super compelling reason not to just get a Pixel XL to dip my toe in the water vs waiting for the Pixel 2?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone pick up a G5s+ yet? Curious how the camera lag on it is, reviews seem to be mixed.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Just leave the adapter on the end of your headphones.

Which is fine as long as you never go in a plane or on a long car trip.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

FAUXTON posted:

I am waiting in hope that the Navy Bellroy cases come back in stock.

I did notice that the Bellroy site has cases in stock that Google doesn't seem to:

https://bellroy.com/products/leather-pixel-case/pixel2xl/navy#image-0

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

RVProfootballer posted:

Checked out Panda phone at a Verizon store, seemed fine in a minute or so of use. I had my og Pixel on whatever the RGB mode in developer settings was, though, and vivid display off on my Pixel 2, so muted colors look fine to me.

Also I played with a Galaxy S8, which was pretty nice except man I hate the curved display edges more than I realized. Rounded corners on the XL2 were weird too, but nowhere near as distracting as the S8 curved edge. Did they just do that because they think curved glass is good, and to get edge to edge display with that, display needs to be curved? Does anyone think the curved display is actually good, or just somewhere between ignorable and bad? I think for me, flat glass > curved glass with flat display >>> curved display, but not sure how controversial that is.

It's a pretty distinctive look, I suspect they probably get sales just off the "OHH THIS LOOKS NEAT" factor alone

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Syrinxx posted:

The OP3 and 5 use Samsung AMOLED so it's a safe bet the 5T will as well

If these guys can get better screens than Google, lol

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Samsung announced an enterprise version of the Note 8 today, the most interesting thing about it seemed to be this blurb:

quote:

Enhanced Security & Business Continuity: The Galaxy Note8 Enterprise Edition brings traditional PC-class product lifecycle support services to the smartphone. Devices receive regular monthly security updates for up to three years, and purchase assurance that they can buy the same device model up to two years from availability.

I'm assuming since these are unlocked Samsung can just skip the carriers and actually shove out monthly updates? Have they managed that with any of their other phones so far?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Nine is a really good email app that does what you want, application level security, not device level. It's :10bux: but worth it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ninefolders.hd3

Outlook works the same way.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Isn't Android One the program for selling super cheap phones to poor countries?

Also now for weirdos on Project FI

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So is the project treble requirement for phones that launch with Oreo one of the reasons we're still seeing stuff launch on Nougat?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

This is the 2GB/32GB version, other vendors have been matching this price too if you're not a Costco member

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

Google Home minis are $29 on google express from walmart right now and you get a $25 credit to walmart orders on google express for each one you buy (max 2)

There are $10 off your first order of $40 or more that can also be used and there is an amex offer for $20 off $50 which can be stacked (you should hit $50 after tax, if not add a filler)

RIP Google Express site :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Maybe this a better question for the Project FI thread, but can anyone with a Project Fi Android One X4 comment on how the patching has actually worked? Is it better than Moto's spotty patch schedule?

Have they announced when it's getting a 8.X upgrade?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

lol I believe this has been “coming soon” since google announced the pixel 2

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

bull3964 posted:

Nokia is doing Android One for all their phones here on out. The only exception is the bare bones Nokia 1 which will be Android Go.

They need to chop chop on the US releases

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Holy crap, I found an G4 play that I had used for a test device on a project, and amazingly Moto actually rolled out the Nougat update for it finally (it wasn't there a few months ago when I last checked).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

OhFunny posted:

With the US gov. leaning on the carriers to not sell Huawei phones. Fellow Chinese phonemaker and rivel Xiaomi is interested in expanding to the US. Although I don't see why they wouldn't fall under similar scrutiny.

https://www.techspot.com/news/73552-xiaomi-may-finally-enter-us-smartphone-market-year.html

Huawei seems to get more poop because it was started by a former Chinese army engineer, but yeah I'd assume Xiaomi would probably also get pooped on to some degree.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

The garbage Moto G4 Play I keep around to as a test phone not only got the 7.1 upgrade but also got the March security patch. What he gently caress is going on over at Motorola all of a sudden?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Obsurveyor posted:

Was that really recent? Been waiting for awhile on an update on this Moto E4 I picked up cheap. The Bluetooth LE is busted on it and it's only at January security patch.

Yeah, March security patch was in the last week or so (that's the last time I turned it on).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

bull3964 posted:

Woot has certified refurb Pixel 2 (Verizon version so locked bootloader but otherwise working on all carriers) in all storage sizes and colors right now starting at $499.

You can do a lot lot worse for $500.

You lose the 2 year Google warranty in this situation, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

gwrtheyrn posted:

Anyone know what the hole in the top of the pixel 3 renders is? It doesn't look large enough to be a 3.5mm port but doesn't really look like a microphone either

Maybe they're bringing the 2.5mm jack back!