Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Surprise Giraffe posted:

my phones are secure

People with phones whose batteries exploded had never had a problem with their batteries exploding.

(FWIW, there's millions of compromised phones around the world in use today. I've posted info here about them in the past.)

Desk Lamp posted:

You are essentially saying that by running a fork of Android, Samsung phones must be buggier, a law of nature you called it even, and since:

This is accurate, but also you're missing the forest for the trees.

Any single instance of any phone that adds more code to Android may or may not have extra bugs and those extra bugs may or may not be in areas that matter. Your S9 may be more secure and more reliable than a Pixel XL 2. You don't know and I don't know if that's true. What we can know is that on average, phones made by manufacturers who add code to Android are going to have more faults than Android without added code.

The problem is that us end users have no idea and cannot tell if our phone is "buggier" (for reasonable values of "buggy") than some other phone and we cannot tell if those bugs are going to be bugs that lead to security vulnerabilities or lower reliability.

The one thing we can do if we're so inclined is minimize our exposure to software faults.

edit: Oh, also, saying that worrying about this is like polishing a turd presumes that we can know the relative risks between, say, a Pixel and a Galaxy. For all we know a Galaxy might be 4 times as secure as a Pixel...or the other way around. We can't know, we can only make our best guess.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
After skipping the 2 I will probably buy the 3xl because I like big cellphones and do not mind notches

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ars got to spend time with Duplex.

(Duplex is the thing where a Google AI calls and talks to restaurants to make reservations for you and sounds amazingly human while doing it)

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 27, 2018

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Pixel 3 goes on sale September 16, 2018

I know this cause the $50 referral coupons they are giving out expire September 15, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I really doubt they are launching a phone on a Sunday.

So signs point to it being Oct 4th like before, I just hope they can ship promptly and have all color combinations available AT launch.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I wonder if they'll do something like "Preorder and get Pixel Buds!" considering all the flack they got from no headphone jack and forcing everyone to buy new headphones.

...Though it's Google so probably not. I could see them just doing a "25% discount" or "50% discount" on them instead.

Or just another Google Home Mini. They give those away like candy.

Or, to be pure Google, a free or discount on whatever the supposed watch will be called.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I do wonder what they might do for Trade Up this time. The P2's got a pretty good Warranty extension as well as good software support length, but I still feel they will do a incentive to get you to buy the 3. I just can't imagine the battery alone making it over 2 years, and God knows what sort of long term death clock is lurking inside these phones. At least the worst thing on my phone has been the top speaker and (so far) no other issues like the Pixel 1's Mic Issue or some such...

One thing is for sure, the DP3 update has made this 2XL nearly perfect software wise. No crashes, Not a single slowdown like I was getting every time I fired up Maps and plugged in for the commute home, nothing. Its running amazingly which I don't think it's ran this good ever.. Love it.

Also from the reply earlier, The Display on the V30(+) isn't quite the same as the P2XL. They both are LG OLED's but then they differ quite a bit after that. Also the Vibration on the P2XL is good, but the V30(+) has I believe the haptic feedback similar to the Switch remotes, HTC Vive Remotes, Steam Controller, HTC12+, etc where instead of a motor its that new haptic generator which I don't know a ton about, but I don't feel the P2XL has...

(I put + in the V30(+) because I am not sure what else the + brings that might have changed from the plain V30. As I am on Sprint, I have only seen the V30+ in person as well and it does look drat nice..)

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Thermopyle posted:

(FWIW, there's millions of compromised phones around the world in use today. I've posted info here about them in the past.)
For all we know a Galaxy might be 4 times as secure as a Pixel...or the other way around. We can't know, we can only make our best guess.

This is why I don't think updates!!! are worth the extra cash. Security isn't as big a deal as exploding doomfones. Either so few people have a problem with security no one really bothers quantifying the differences in how secure s9 and pix2 etc. are or Google and Samsung et all can't be bothered themselves.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Hard to quantify when if they knew about security flaws they would fix said security flaws...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Surprise Giraffe posted:

This is why I don't think updates!!! are worth the extra cash. Security isn't as big a deal as exploding doomfones. Either so few people have a problem with security no one really bothers quantifying the differences in how secure s9 and pix2 etc. are or Google and Samsung et all can't be bothered themselves.

The Pixel, for example, gets security updates every month that include long lists of found vulnerabilities that are fixed.

The compromised phones are the phones not getting these.

Of course, there are the vulnerabilities that no one but some bad actor knows about, but we know for a fact about lots of security vulnerabilities that are being used right now on phones all over the world that do not work on phones with the latest security updates.

The reason you don't see a lot of info from Google and Samsung is that people generally don't care about security. They care about price and a few different features. They're happy if the guy in the store says "yah its secure", but they're equally happy if they don't hear a thing about security.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 27, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Here's a real simple example as to how it can matter.

There could very well be a root vulnerability lurking undiscovered in all Android phones (just as there could be in iOS, Windows, etc.)

That vulnerability might lead to a RCE that allows a botnet to be installed. That botnet then proceeds to chew up all your data and drain your battery.

You factory reset, but since you can't be patched you get infected all over again in a matter of minutes after connecting back to the internet. Your phone basically becomes a useless brick since you can't connect it to the network without blowing through your data cap and battery in a few hours.

So, now you have to buy a new phone (make sure you researched and find one that has been patched), and potentially wait a month for your data cycle to reset before it really becomes useful again.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I see where you're coming from but at that point its the manufacturers liability, either legally or in reputation. Is that something that's actually going on? How much safer are Google's phones? Not a clue. More to the point, is the risk so drastic its worth the premium?

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 27, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Relevant

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/06/27/samsung-messages-bug-could-be-sending-your-photos-without-you-knowing-it/

Better hope Samsung messages isn't sending your dick pics to Grandma.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

The reason you don't see a lot of info from Google and Samsung is that people generally don't care about security. They care about price and a few different features. They're happy if the guy in the store says "yah its secure", but they're equally happy if they don't hear a thing about security.

The things that 99% of customers care about are is if the phone is an iPhone or Galaxy. They do not want a Droid phone because they heard one time from a friend in 2009 that they are slow in comparison.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

why would you design a phone that looks like this
the O二O notch is ugly and then they give it a major bottom bezel

On the upside the phone reveals after I bought my Mix 2S have been great for preventing buyer's remorse

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

That phone looks pretty decent. Much like the previous two generations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Do you want stereo front facing speakers?

I mean, that's what is dictating the design of both bezels.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

Do you want stereo front facing speakers?

I mean, that's what is dictating the design of both bezels.
I'd be happy with the speaker where it is on the original Pixel and no front camera at all. Getting rid of the USB port would be another plus, as would having an eSIM that works across all carriers. I've wanted a sealed all-wireless device since I got the Nexus 4 with Qi charging.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

butt dickus posted:

I'd be happy with the speaker where it is on the original Pixel and no front camera at all. Getting rid of the USB port would be another plus, as would having an eSIM that works across all carriers. I've wanted a sealed all-wireless device since I got the Nexus 4 with Qi charging.

Hope it never runs down or glitches or you'll be out a phone for a month unless you buy a second one.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

It feels like one year people are ok with the look of the phone but as soon as the next year hits, the old phone is immediately "ugly" and no one wants it.

Maybe if everyone is so adamant on buying the smaller one, the bigger one won't go out of stock immediately..

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

butt dickus posted:

Wait are you the guy who shrink-wrapped his phone in styrofoam

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dont be mean to me posted:

Hope it never runs down or glitches or you'll be out a phone for a month unless you buy a second one.

My Qi chargers have worked fine since the Nexus 4, I'm sure they'll continue to work fine. Plus, I'm betting a wireless charge only phone will probably include one in the box so wouldn't I already have another?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

LastInLine posted:

My Qi chargers have worked fine since the Nexus 4, I'm sure they'll continue to work fine. Plus, I'm betting a wireless charge only phone will probably include one in the box so wouldn't I already have another?

You've managed to Qi charge a phone when it didn't even have enough battery power for that 'not enough battery to boot' screen?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

dont be mean to me posted:

You've managed to Qi charge a phone when it didn't even have enough battery power for that 'not enough battery to boot' screen?

I've never seen such a screen.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I like the looks of the 3XL :mrgw:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I've never seen such a screen.

Same. Every "completely dead" Android I've ever seen would boot to the splash and die immediately which is obviously still enough to initialize Qi charging.

Remember when Blackberry made the Playbook and if they discharged entirely (by, say, sitting unsold in warehouses) they were completely broken forever?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I like the looks of the 3XL :mrgw:

I... do not, but I'll buy one anyway.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, relying on qi charging for vehicles or in a backpack sounds fun. I look forward to bespoke Google branded rubber bands. That USB port doesn't need to go anywhere.

My N7 would absolutely get to a state where you needed to charge it for a bit via USB before it would recognize a wireless charger.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 27, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Oh, I haven't used our N7 in forever, but now that you mention it I have seen the screen where you've got to put it on the charger awhile to use it.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Malloc Voidstar posted:

and then they give it a major bottom bezel

...I know hyperbole is a time-honoured tradition in Androidland, but let's maybe take a breath here.

ThermoPhysical posted:

It feels like one year people are ok with the look of the phone but as soon as the next year hits, the old phone is immediately "ugly" and no one wants it.

Gotta keep those influencers churning through devices somehow. This is what it looks like in my hand, this is a photo of a plant and a cat, there's a brand-new battery in the thing so that's good, something happened at last year's Big Company Event, and there's a lot of GBs on the spec sheet. 8/10, upload article, wait a few weeks for the next box in the post.

spincube fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 27, 2018

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

FistEnergy posted:

Normal Pixel 3 is definitely on my radar

:same:

I wonder if the handset will have the same physical dimensions as the Pixel 2. Hope it doesn't get any bigger.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If the article that the renders came from is correct, both devices are virtually identical to their outgoing counterparts. There's like .1mm difference in some dimensions.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bull3964 posted:

If the article that the renders came from is correct, both devices are virtually identical to their outgoing counterparts. There's like .1mm difference in some dimensions.

Oh happy days :grin:

Has anyone gone from a device with a Snapdragon 835 to one with an 845? I know the performing difference depends on a lot of factors but wondered if there were any anecdotal experiences.

Diminishing returns won't stop my itch to switch to the newest Pixel. I'm such a failure.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Oh happy days :grin:

Has anyone gone from a device with a Snapdragon 835 to one with an 845? I know the performing difference depends on a lot of factors but wondered if there were any anecdotal experiences.

Diminishing returns won't stop my itch to switch to the newest Pixel. I'm such a failure.

The 845 uses the same 10nm process as the 835, so I don't think it would be anything like the insane battery life improvement I saw going from the Nexus 6p to the Pixel 2 XL.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'll skip this gen, 2XL has been chugging along fantastic. I'm looking to see what sort of potential miracle comes out of a Pixel Watch and if they can somehow make the buds not mediocre.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Anyone know what the hole in the top of the pixel 3 renders is? It doesn't look large enough to be a 3.5mm port but doesn't really look like a microphone either

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

gwrtheyrn posted:

Anyone know what the hole in the top of the pixel 3 renders is? It doesn't look large enough to be a 3.5mm port but doesn't really look like a microphone either

It's definitely 100% a microphone, for noise cancelling.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Well at least I don't have to confuse it with a speaker. I thought one of the speakers on the pixel xl was broken for a long time until I looked it up and turns out only one of the two identical looking things at the bottom was a speaker that always gets covered up when i'm playing games

Still not buying a pixel 3 when i still have a year worth of security updates left to coast on

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

gwrtheyrn posted:

Maybe they're bringing the 2.5mm jack back!

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Maneki Neko posted:

Maybe they're bringing the 2.5mm jack back!

See I was half hoping this was the case but on the other hand that's really dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

spincube posted:

...I know hyperbole is a time-honoured tradition in Androidland, but let's maybe take a breath here.

Seriously, that bezel is nothing compared to the 1's gigantic loving chin, plus it even has a reason for existing with the little speaker there