Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

grack posted:

Err, the OnePlus Two is using a Snapdragon 810? Did they get the overheating issues fixed?

They claimed it was a newer version of the 810 that was much cooler. Then we found out that pretty much every 810 released so far is 'version 2' and the laughing began anew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Hell, my Z3 is awesome and I still want a new G

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

XIII posted:

When should we start seeing whatever phone will replace the Turbo? I expect that will be my next phone, but these new Motos are nice.

The new Moto X Play has a giant battery and a 1080p display and sadly isn't coming to the US, and the rumor is that it's because Verizon is getting it rebranded as the Turbo.

In related news, Verizon sucks.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

beedeebee posted:

Is there a release date for the Moto G 2 gb RAM version? Only one I've found is 'later this year'.

I'm also waiting on this news. No idea why it wasn't released on Day One; it doesn't require any extra work at the factory and the upgrades aren't high-end parts with limited availability.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

I can put together a 16 + 2 GB G on Moto Maker right now and add it to the cart just fine (US).

Selecting Moto G 3rd Gen on the Moto Maker takes me to the $179.99 version and only lets me select the front/back colors. No option to change SKU and I don't see it even if I back out and look at the list of all Moto phones. Maybe because I'm looking from my phone?

Edit: found it, it's all the way at the end after fully customizing the look.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 29, 2015

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I find quick charging much more useful than wireless charging. But I had to send 2 flagship phones - an HTC M7 and a Galaxy S3 - to the graveyard because their micro USB ports went bad and I couldn't charge them anymore. So from now on I'll be buying value phones like the Moto G or flagships with wireless charging.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
First detailed Moto G review I've found. 1 week review time. Camera is noticeably improved, screen is good, battery life gets a large boost, and as a hidden bonus the storage speed is much faster.

http://laptopmedia.com/smartphone-review/motorola-moto-g-3rd-gen-2015-review-the-new-flagship-in-the-mid-range/

Me likey.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Back to Moto discussion please

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, probably. I would say you could hold off to see what the new Note looks like since they always have pretty large gently caress-off batteries but if you're really insistant on staying as close to stock android as possible that's probably your best bet.

Based on what he said I totally think the Moto G is the way to go. The new version has a much bigger battery, more efficient processor, and still has a good 720p screen so battery life should be excellent. He doesn't game and is more concerned with having a stock Android experience that works without a lot of micro managing. The Style might have battery life issues and he doesn't speak of any real reason to spend so much more on the Play.

I've always ponied up for flagships but I think I'm on the Moto G train now, too. I've advised my wife both of my brothers to get Gs and they all rave about them.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

IuniusBrutus posted:

My Moto X is finally driving me to rid myself of it.

I can get a new Nexus 6 for $450 - should I go with that? Or should I hang in there a few more months and get the new Nexus phones? Being a hugephone doesn't matter to me; I just am wary about paying for a nearly-year old phone.

edit: Or the new Moto X.

http://m.androidcentral.com/first-five-things-know-about-new-moto-g

The Moto G is probably the right choice for 99% of Android users, and 90% of Goons. It has good build quality with no real shortcomings, runs great/clean software, and is dirt cheap. Unless someone specifically wants a phablet, it's probably a winning choice for a small price. And I paid full price for an HTC M7 and Sony Z3. The daily experience with the Moto G is no worse than any flagship but at a third the price. It's a great time for Android as a result.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
New Moto G is your best option at 5".

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I encourage everyone who buys a Moto G to post a shot of the back. I'm having trouble deciding on color combinations because Moto Maker doesn't really show the texture pattern of the back cover.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Re: Zenfone

From the reviews I've read, I think the processor doesn't make a huge difference and most people are better off with the base model. They both seem to have battery life issues though, plus poor build quality/buttons and a ton of unremovable bloatware. Basically it's a phone this thread would have loved in 2013, when checking spec boxes was all that mattered. Now I think more Android consumers are paying attention to the software experience and holistic execution, ala Apple.

Thus, buy the Moto G and don't worry about benchmarks. A few of our regular posters were ahead of the curve on this, but I think it's becoming more widespread thanks to high-profile missteps in various hardware/software aspects by Samsung, LG, OneTouch, and many of the budget device makers.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 3, 2015

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
The Z3 is the best phone I've ever owned and I still have zero interest in paying that much for a phone ever again, especially when the company's wireless division can't make a profit and might bail at any time.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Rastor posted:

The OnePlus Two: it does not have NFC, it does not have quick charging, it does not have wireless charging, but it does have a processor that is literally famous for being an excessively hot (or excessively throttled) piece of poo poo.

A bad phone.

Good post. But don't forget a brand-new untested OS and a reputation for bad customer service.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
5.2" Nexus specs look interesting. Depends on the price though.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
TMO keeps making phone manufacturers disable Band 12 on their network if the device doesn't support VoLTE. Band 12 for data isn't good enough for them. They did it with the Moto E, they just did it to the Moto G, and they'll probably do it to the X Style too. The spec just disappears from the phone's page.

edit: band 12 on my TMO Z3 is quite nice. It's an annoying loss.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Full Note 5 leak:

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/04/samsung-galaxy-note-5-pictures/

No SD card slot, no removable battery, smaller battery than Note 4. Looks boring. Internet is Real Mad.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I thought people liked the S6 :confused:

It was an improvement over the S5, but most of the other flagships with the exception of HTC improved as well. And more importantly companies like Motorola, Asus, Huawei, and Xiaomi are getting much better at making compelling midrange products which make the notion of spending $700 on a phone even more unappealing.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Exactly.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I used to believe it was wise to spend extra on a device that would get constant use, until it finally dawned on me that I didn't do any 3D gaming so I was wasting my money. "Features" like an 810 processor or a Quad HD Screen don't enhance the experience for the vast majority of apps and use cases, but introduce real downsides like added cost and reduced battery life.

The Moto G is all you really need, in a solid package with great software and at a great price. All hail the commoditization of smartphones!

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 5, 2015

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Hughmoris posted:

Hmmm. Moto X 2014 for $200 or the new Moto G for $220?

New Moto G. Better camera and battery life, which were very weak on the X. Plus longer access to updates and customizable with Moto Maker.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the G has an SD slot and the Nexus 6 camera. Early results look promising.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Moto G 2gb available for orders again. Order placed! :w00t:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Captain Yossarian posted:

Cross post: I'm selling a Sprint HTC One m7 and s3 in SA Mart. If you live somewhere where you actually GET sprint service, they may be of some use to you! :bang:

In strangely related news, I just signed up for Swappa to sell an M7 and S3. My prices are a bit higher than yours though. Average M7 sell price is around $150. I'll let you know if mine sells for $120.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Mmmm just got an email from Moto. My baby is in the lab! I didn't feel like waiting for navy blue so I went with the bolder blue so I can strut like a peacock. :colbert:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I ordered this morning at 8am EST. It said Delayed Shipping which was fine with me. Better than no option at all.

I liked the navy blue and dark purple options a lot with the black front, but I didn't want to wait any longer. I can always Amazon 'em.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

curses... now it's out of stock again. I won't let delayed shipping deter me next time.

Just checked - 16gb version is still Delayed Shipping. Not OOS.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Poop. I thought the textured back + $200 price tag would make the 2015 Moto G my first caseless phone.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Battery and camera are much better on the new G. Display better on the old X. Longer software support on the G, plus free Moto Maker. Id do that.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
My Moto G order status has been at Order Complete since 8/6 and has not moved to Shipped yet. I cannot stop myself from checking every few hours. Motorola is successfully driving me insane.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Buy the Moto G because it's the phone with a user experience that's enjoyable each and every day you use it.

Don't buy a year-old Samsung or LG phone that was intentionally designed to piss you off through pointless UI changes, bloatware, and redundant manufacturer apps on the off-chance that you need a photo nice enough to get professionally printed in large size.

The Moto G is plenty good for Instagram, Facebook, emailing to Grandma, etc. So please don't punish yourself, friend.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Just wait. I know it's hard....but wait.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
The new Moto G/X are not the issue. They're finished products. The risk is to future Motorola phones. The answer is to buy 10 Gs and 3 Xs so you are set for the foreseeable future, since HTC is going out of business, LG will never get the software right, and Samsung is somehow doubling down on their idiocy. We're running out of companies that deserve our money.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

mAlfunkti0n posted:

So you're saying Lenovo cannot push software updates to their phones now? Do tell ....

I am not worried at all. But I'm also not very worried about Stagefright either. :shrug:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Good for you, I wasn't concerned about your personal security preferences. You made an incorrect statement about some magical wall that blocks Lenovo from updating devices already in the field, that they now as a company have control over. Your statement is incorrect, which is all I was pointing out.

I said nothing about a wall or any inability to influence Motorola. I do think this could be an issue going forward, if Moto isn't going to continue to operate independently. Why are you so agitated?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

boxen posted:

If anyone else is waiting for their 2015 Moto G 2GB to ship, I got the notice mine shipped on 8/16. I ordered it on 8/5, when the phone itself said "delayed" and so did the back cover I picked (navy).

Fedex says it'll be here Wednesday, Motorola says Friday. Looks like it made its way to Tennessee from China in the last half hour, so we'll see who's correct.

Same story for me. My phone just left Tennessee a few hours ago.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
My Moto G left Shenzhen, China at 9:30am EST yesterday and was just delivered to my house in Cleveland, Ohio. 23 hours later.

:drat:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Moto G Trip Report:

2 hours in and all of my apps work with no stuttering. The screen looks great and text is very crisp. Good white balance. Doesn't look worse than my Z3. Build quality is very good except for the buttons, which are acceptable but nothing special. They could be clickier. Camera is markedly better than last year's G - not amazing but very solid. The front camera was strangely impressive though. I noticed how good it was the instant I switched to it.

Overall it seems like a spectacular way to spend $200!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
My lock pattern is intentionally simple, because it is designed to stop my 1 year old from doing random things to my apps and home screen while she is pawing at or gnawing on my phone.