Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The OnePlus 11 removes wireless charging and downgrades the storage speed. Very underwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I've been reasonably satisfied with the P7 battery life :shrug:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I have no issues with the P7 fingerprint reader.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I'm at $343 in lifetime Rewards payouts. It owns.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Rumors are swirling that Samsung will make Bing the default search engine on their phones.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2023/04/17/alphabet-ceo-sundar-pichai-google-search-bard-magi-samsung/amp/

GOOG is down about 4% in premarket trading due to the news. My personal odds of buying another Samsung, however, are holding steady at 0%.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Alan_Shore posted:

Early adopting the first Pixel foldable seems like a terrible idea

:emptyquote:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Boy do I love it when Gmail just stops working in the background! Haven't had it happen in a while, at least, but I got no email notifications since ~2:45. Open my email client on my computer and I have 9 new emails! I then actually open Gmail, and sure enough, there they are!

That was a very common situation for me when I used OnePlus phones

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Android Auto has always seemed REALLY sensitive to changes in resistance in the cable or anything attenuating the signal at all. This is one of the reasons why I moved to wireless AA awhile ago, connect that poo poo up once and never touch it again.

I have the same issue. Bumping the cable disconnects wired Android Auto about 50% of the time.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Pixel 7a hands-on AMA, if that interests you

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixe...nt=share_button

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
If you're planning on buying a Coral Pixel 7A, be aware that the color could be much different than advertised. This one is just plain orange.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pixel_phon...nt=share_button

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

https://arstechnica.com/google/2023/06/rip-to-my-pixel-fold-dead-after-four-days

I guess there was a reason Samsung and others made foldables the way they dd lol!

We'll see how many other stories like this pop up, but this is not a surprise and is exactly why so many people have warned that buying a first generation Google foldable is a veeeery risky (and expensive) gamble.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

I mean, jamming debris into a soft inner display isn't really 1st gen woes.

A tiny speck like the one in the photo isn't "jamming debris" though, that's a daily reality of carrying around a device. If the screen can't handle barely perceptible specks then it's a design or materials problem. The article says the device was barely used and there was no obvious cause. You're reaching.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
wow that looks very promising

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Nitrousoxide posted:

I feel like the Pixel Fold is probably worth it at half the price. It's got way too much of a first gen mark up right now to be a good purchase.

Yep all 2023 foldables are way too expensive and have too many flaws/compromises for a fragile item that costs thousands of dollars

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
The Zenphone 10 reviews are consistently positive and it looks to me like it checks all the right boxes and has no big flaws. I'd still recommend the P7 due to price and length of software support, but it's a surprisingly close call. I'm glad to see Asus is continuing to refine and improve their devices.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yep Gen 1 seems like a nonstarter to me

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I agree. Clueless retail consumers aren't buying a Nothing Phone.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to utilize Miracast on my Pixel? My son got a projector for his birthday that can do wired and wireless mirroring from Samsung and OnePlus phones. Other brands too I believe.

I know Google has always locked out USB-C to HDMI on Pixels, which is stupid, but is there a workaround for wireless screen mirroring for all the devices and use cases without a Chromecast?

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 8, 2023

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
aw man the Zenphone is a goner already? that sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Khablam posted:

As both a Samsung fan and user, Samsung phones work best when you use a Samsung phone exclusively. It's no wonder people who bounce between various near-stock experiences and One UI don't like the experience. When you're very used to One UI, the things it adds make for a good experience, IMO anyway. There's a reason most Android updates are little more than the One UI features of a couple years ago that people liked.
Samsung phones are also more technically minded and if you want to do "cool nerd poo poo" with your phone, you're going to find more support there.
Not only can no other phone get close to the DEX experience, most don't even allow video over USB-C, so the idea of being able to carry a USB Type-C to HDMI adapter and using the phone as a mini PC box, games console or HTPC - which any modern device should be capable of - is walled off on most other phones.
They also support other more niche applications over USB-OTG. For instance, there's NTFS support on samsung phones that's almost no-where else, and the port is powerful enough with it's output to attach portable HDDs to it.
Most are little things, and most are niche, but if you get used to their way of doing things and capabilities stock android feels lacking.

Ultimately people like me like them because it's a feel thing. One UI tries to be a portable computer in your pocket. Stock android tries to be an iOS clone. The two have moved a lot closer with android adding One UI capabilities but there's still enough there to make using stock android niggle that feeling when you try to move outside the iphone-clone use case.

is this a SYQ I can't even tell