Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Agreed, it made sense in your head. I don't think too many of us expected the recents list to never depopulate even after a reboot so that was unexpected. Still I tried for a while to give it a chance because so many here were so enthusiastic about it and nope, it was terrible. It got to the point where I'd have to look on other devices to see what tabs were open on the phone and I just thought "This is ridiculous" and disabled it.

Maybe if recents would group the Chrome tabs in a sensible way but no, they're just shat all over a rolodex of like fifty things.

I always thought it would be a horrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I love my Turbo but yeah I have the same left hand problem sometimes. It is a bit too big and looking back on it my S3 is way more comfortable to use, though the new Lollipop app UI takes up too much screen real estate.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

this_is_hard posted:

The Droid Turbo soak test ended up being a 35mb volte bug fix, lmao.

Took them nearly a month to release it after starting the soak, the soak testers are basically having a meltdown on the Motorola owners forum because it isn't lollipop.

Funny since everything leading into the soak test made me rightfully suspect it was another volte thing.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

So 5.1 hasn't fixed the memory bug, just has broken Bluetooth.

Motorola can take their goddamn time with their 5.x update for my Turbo, then. Getting at least 18 hours of battery life with Android Wear, LG Tone-750 bluetooth headphones, 4 hours of podcasts at 1.3x speed, and 3 hours of screen on time.

Interesting they added a couple of features and fixed a couple of bugs but ignored the main problem.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

UGH.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Normal usage for my Droid Turbo is maybe 12 - 15 hours from 100 - 8% with 2-3 hours SOT and 4-5 hours of PocketCasts. Maybe 1/2 of the podcasts I listen to at 1.2x speed.

I also use Bluetooth headphones and have an LG G Watch so Bluetooth is going near constantly.

WiFi is on since I have WiFi at work and at home and I have GPS set to battery saving.

Usually SOT is 25-35% of battery usage and PocketCasts is 20-25%. The rest is Android System, Bluetooth, Android OS, etc. at 7-10% each. Cell Standby is usually around 11%.

If I don't listen to podcasts and turn most things off then I can get 24 - 36 hours with maybe 2-3 hours SOT.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 17, 2015

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Glass feels much nicer than plastic.

It fucks with my touchscreen gloves, though.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Can't wait until my Turbo's on 5.1 and I can bitch about all the changes inclusively with all 'yall.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

bull3964 posted:

I want my wrist to buzz with my Moto 360 while my phone does nothing. That's currently impossible.

You can mute phone notifications while connected to a wear watch in the settings in the android wear app.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

False Toaster posted:

I've noticed that in direct sunlight (never in fluorescent) that my S6 screen has dark lined spotchy stains on the screen? I don't know if this is related to me trying to apply a skinomi screen protector, probably is. Not sure if the spray solution, which I applied very little screwed with the screen somehow. But it's relatively annoying and I don't know how to get rid of it.

The Skinomi and other kind of more elastic / resilient screen protectors are like that. Likely that if you took it off it'd be normal.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

GopherFlats posted:

So I upgraded to 5.1 on my turbo a couple weeks ago and everything was fine up until the last few days. It seems like now I have to restart my phone everyday because by the end of the day it starts lagging so bad its almost impossible to do anything and has started to heat up more than normal.

Are there any know 5.1 bugs on the turbo or hardware issues?

I had problems for the first week and decided to delete a bunch of apps (oddly, Google Plus, Navigation Layer, and switched from Nova to Action 3). Now it works fine.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

After that last small Turbo update, I haven't been able to charge it without turning it off and plugging it in.

If I turn it on while plugged in, it'll keep charging. I woke up with my phone at 20% battery life twice this week.

Cleared cache, hopefully that fixes it.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

The more devices that come out with usb-c plugs, the quicker this glorious all-encompassing standard will be adopted.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

...after a week having cleared the cache, my Turbo still will stop charging with the charger and USB cable that came with it in around 2 days. Same results with the ~ 5 random chargers and ~ 7 cables J have lying around.

Restarting while charging fixes it and battery life is overall improved by 5.1. It's just kinda annoying. Haven't tried factory reset but gently caress that.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Didn't you use pie controls back in the old Browser? They were pretty easy to get used to but I don't know if they were intuitive enough to be a control interface for the common man.

When I was rooted on my S3 I used Pie Controls extensively and it was awesome for one handed use.

Can't root the Turbo and I really miss that feature.

The Pie Controls apps in the store suck rear end and stuff like GMD require root. Using the back button requires root on most of these apps.

Right now I have a tap in the upper left area trigger the Recents button through SideControl because I can't reach it with my left thumb.

I hope Google puts out some extra control options for phablets because if I were to get a Nexus 6 or something I probably wouldn't be able to even reach the Home button.

Dumb tiny hands.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 4, 2015

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I have a Droid Turbo. When I place my phone on my wireless charging pad it beeps and turns the screen on to tell me where to place my phone. Can I turn this off? It's really annoying.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I dunno about a screen showing placing your phone but you can turn off charging noises in Sound & Notifications > Other Sounds

Unfortunately this doesn't do anything for the wireless charging notification. Do other phones wake the screen when you put it on a wireless charger?

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Tunga posted:

I've never owned a phone that didn't wake up when it was connected to any kind of charger.

... drat you're right. I always put my phone face down when I plug in the charger.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

hooah posted:

This happens to me every single time I switch from wired headphones to my car's bluetooth, and I have to swipe BeyondPod from the recent apps list. I've emailed them at least three times and haven't heard back. It's very frustrating that they won't even respond.

It's not just Pocket Casts that does this, then.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

You can use a combination of apps like Ac Display and Gravity Screen to replicate Moto Display and there are apps that can do the chop - chop light gesture and twist - to - open - camera but they can obviously do a number on battery life.

I have a Droid Turbo and feel the same way. I tried a 6p for a week and used these apps but they don't work right with fingerprint sensor unlocking.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

kensei posted:

I went from a Turbo to the Moto G+ and it's fantastic.

Wow, didn't expect the G4 plus to be an upgrade option.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

isndl posted:

That's why I bought the international version of the Turbo from a Puerto Rican reseller. :downs:

My only regret is the updates are a little slow, but we got Marshmallow last week! Maybe we'll get chop-chop flashlights soon too!

My Verizon Turbo is on 5.1 and it has the chop-chop flashlight already. Check the Moto app. Alternatively, chop-chop your phone.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

kensei posted:

I was happy with the Turbo for a long time, but a carrier unlocked phone with 4GB RAM and 64GB storage beats it hands down.

How is the real world performance on the g4 plus compared to the Turbo? I know the GPU isn't great but some of the tech blog sites say it's slow.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I fondled the Moto Z's at Best Buy a couple of days ago. Sure they are slim but the back looks and more importantly feels like something is missing... They aren't very comfortable to hold.

BB only had the projector there for some reason. It snaps to the back and comes back off pretty nicely. It vibrates when you attach it. The only problem is it jiggles a bit. I could see being unsatisfied with one of the snappy backs for that reason.

I really like the new pro layout for the camera app but I read you have to set it every time.

Yeah I have no desire to buy this.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

The thing that bothered me the most about the 6p was that the power and volume buttons were too easy to press and my phone screen would turn on or volume would change in my pockets

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Do QC 3.0 batteries quick charge over A to C cables? I have an anker QC 3.0 battery and am wondering if it will quick charge an HTC 10.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Tunga posted:

Clear the data on the app, this mostly solved it for me. Sometimes it still gets confused and crash if I start moving the cursor around and editing text a bunch but it stopped the general slowness and crashing randomly that I was getting a month ago.

I can confirm that this'll fix Hangouts until it gets slow and buggy again.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I'm testing out an HTC 10. It's a really nice slippery metal phone. It's much easier to hold than the 6p and the buttons are less clicky. The 6p ones are terrible and they would go off in my pocket or my car mount.

This is the first non-OLED phone I've used since...the Droid Incredible 2 and I must just be used to OLED because I don't like how this one looks. Also the adaptive brightness is terrible and when it's on low it's got a reddish tint to it.

I have a Turbo so I'm used to Moto Display. Instead the 10 has an LED but it's in green or orange only and double tap to turn screen on. The LED is a disappointment with only 2 colors and I can't turn off the LED light when it's charging. Double tap to turn on screen is at least better than the 6p's attentive display where you have to pick up the phone at a 90° angle.

I also don't like the fingerprint sensor. I have to press my whole thumb sideways over it to activate it and sometimes since it is also the home button when I try to authorize stuff and the app isn't ready I just go back to the home screen.

People keep saying the camera is really good. It's quicker to process HDR than the 6p but I don't think my photos come out as well as on the 6p and the laser focus is flaky as gently caress. Pro mode is kind of touchy and generally a bit useless unless I want to mess with focal points. Sometimes manual just randomly comes out much darker in the actual photo.

Battery life and performance are better than the 6p but it'll still stutter sometimes and it gets a bit hot.

I don't think it's worth the premium over the 6p but with that said, gently caress the 6p's buttons.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 24, 2016

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

JayKay posted:

Keep updating as I'm kinda in a similar boat. I was originally going to wait for the used 6p market to crash when Sailfish/Marlin drops however I've been eyeing the HTC 10 as of late. 820, MicroSD, and it can be unlocked.

FYI I wanted to try the MicroSD adoptable storage thing since 10gb of 32 is being taken up by app data for some reason. I put in a random 16GB SD card from my SGS3 and apparently you need an SDHC or SDXC UHS-1 Speed Class 3 card.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I was using an HTC 10 for two weeks and now that I'm looking back on the photos I took with it every single goddamn one is slightly blurry even though I wiped the lens with a microfiber cloth, tapped to focus, and held the phone as steady as I'd hold the Droid Turbo.

Returning it today. It's pretty good but not $700 good. This experiment has reinforced that a 5.2 in. phone might be the perfect size for me and that I can't live without QuickCharge on the go.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I'm trying out the ZTE Axon 7 right now and it's...pretty great. Build quality is top notch but the capacitive buttons are dumb. Just give me software ones and more customization options. The camera is bad in any situation but being outside during the day. The speakers are the best I've heard and the screen is pretty good.

On the software side, I wouldn't bother with using any of the voice stuff and I don't know if this phone is ever going to be updated. The skin doesn't get in the way and there aren't that many duplicate apps. On the lock screen you have to touch a bell to look at your notifications and it's so maddening I installed Next Lock screen. There's no adaptive display, just a green-orange-red LED like the HTC 10. The double tap to wake screen and shake flashlight are almost useless, too.

Battery life and performance are really good so far.

Compared to the HTC 10 I'd take the Axon 7 since I had no success with the HTC's camera anyway and it's loving $300 cheaper. Compared to the Nexus 6p, the Axon 7 is so much smaller and easier to use with just a .2 in. smaller screen, better battery life and quick charge 3.0, too. The choice comes down to usability, USB-PD getting more wide range support, updates, and camera.

Now, the reason I will likely have to return this one is that it doesn't officially support CDMA. I'm on Verizon and it works but it says I'm on data roaming and I don't want to take a chance. loving bummed I'm locked out of this one, the OnePlus 3, or the Honor 8 but my parents still pay for my phone service.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Blue Train posted:

*calls phone pretty great, posts long list of failures*

e: oh its a 400$ phone lol

Like I said, the ZTE Axon 7 has better or on par build quality and specs compared to the HTC 10 and is smaller and easier to use than the Nexus 6p. The speakers are the best I've heard on a phone and the screen and battery life are great. This is a good phone at $400 and the HTC 10 doesn't add more value at $700.

Many of the "features" ZTE added in suck but can be ignored and it's close to stock Android otherwise. The camera kind of sucks and updates aren't guaranteed but the reason I'm returning it is it's not compatible with Verizon.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Blitter posted:

Any thoughts on your 'next' phone?!

I'm loving around and trying out whatever is available right now until the new big Nexus comes out. I'm that tired of my Droid Turbo. It's laggy, the battery life has degraded, and the camera is awful.

I'm also just super curious with all these other phone manufacturers popping up. Really want to try the Robin and the OnePlus, but not going to be able to.

The only reason I tried the Axon 7 out is because I heard it was unofficially compatible with Verizon, and as stated above, I ended up liking it better than the HTC 10 and the 6p. Just reporting here in case anyone else was curious.

The next one is a 5x, which comes tomorrow.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 12, 2016

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I have a Nexus 5x and I love stock Nougat so far. The adaptive display is much better than the 6p on Marshmallow. I can nudge the 5x and it'll activate rather than having to pick the phone up at a 45 degree angle. There have been a couple of terrible bugs that have worked themselves out but stock Android is nice.

The camera feels faster overall though you can't take an HDR photo while 2 are processing. It's better than the HTC 10's as everything is in focus most of the time. There's no manual mode which is weird but photos are good enough to where I don't really need it.

The phone does get bogged down once in awhile and the animations will start lagging. Apps can sometimes take a bit of time to load up. Obviously not as swift as the Axon 7, which is the smoothest phone I've tried out so far. It's fine though.

The build quality certainly isn't great by 2016 standards. It's creaky as hell. The buttons aren't as terrible as the 6p but I'm still triggering the power button when I put my phone in my pants. Hopefully a case will sort that out.

The main problem is the goddamn battery life. I've had it for 2 days so I'm not going to freak out yet since the phone could still be sorting itself out but yesterday I tried to use it normally (podcasts over Bluetooth during work hours) and it ended up going from 80% to 30% 3 times. I hope I don't end up having to tape an external charger to the back or something because it's like SGS3 levels of bad right now. It's also bigger than the Turbo 1 and almost as big as the Axon 7 but with a much smaller battery??

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 16, 2016

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

ManSedan posted:

My friend is thinking about getting the HTC 10. What's the consensus on that device?

I tried one out for 2 weeks and thought it was a really solid well made phone. The screen is a little washed out and there's no adaptive display I guess because it is LCD. The camera produced great colors but for the life of me I couldn't get it to completely focus. The performance was great but I felt like it stuttered a couple of times where the Axon 7 didn't. Battery life is 12-15 hours with 2-3 SOT and constant Bluetooth podcast listening but it's got QC 3.0 so it charges up really quickly. I can't speak about how quickly it gets updates but I figure 2-3 months for it to get 7.0. The phone is mostly stock and I ignored most of the software additions. It has double tap to wake.

I'm not sure it is worth $700 but I haven't messed around with the S7 so I can't give a comparison there. I'd wait till October to see what the Nexus is like since it's also made by HTC.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah. QC 3.0 has been awesome but USB PD takes much longer as far as the Nexii 5x and 6p are concerned.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

The battery life on the 5x bothered me so much (I was getting 8 hours of battery life when I connected my watch to it) I picked up the Moto Z Play. It's awesome so far. It's got a mid level processor but gently caress if I notice. It's less choppy than the 6p and is on par with the HTC 10 and ZTE Axon 7. Build quality is good and the phone feels solid. Battery life is looking to be awesome and all of the features I missed from the Droid Turbo are present. I increased the animation speed in developer settings with no lag save for Play Music which is choppy regardless of device.

Camera and speakers are adequate, I don't know about updates as this is another Verizon phone, and it's loving huge compared to the Axon 7 even with the same screen size but it finally feels like I've found a keeper until the Nexii come out. On Moto's website if you order the phone you get a free battery mod.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

SouthLAnd posted:

Anyone using an Axon 7? Supposedly they just released an update to improve a few things (one of which being camera performance). I've been looking at it since I need a new phone to replace my Moto X Pure Edition. It sounds like the Pixel XL is going to be pretty pricey and I don't think I can bring myself to spend more than 400USD on a phone anymore.

I do like that the ZTE has an AMOLED display and awesome front speakers/headphone output, and the custom OS stuff doesn't seem too terrible.

I said it was really good but also listed the poo poo I thought was wrong with it and was shouted down for it. They were right because my idiot rear end waxed rhapsodic about it even though it wasn't fully compatible with Verizon. Think of the custom OS as similar to the Moto stuff but useless or nonfunctional. It's pretty drat stock, but they have this dumb bell on the lock screen that you click on to see notifications. Everything else they added are features that don't work and can be completely ignored.

The build quality is excellent, the speakers are pretty much the best I've heard on a phone. The phone is 5.5 in. but it's not much larger than the HTC 10. The screen is pretty decent. The battery life beats the 3,000mah phones handily. The camera is bad in low light but was decent in sunlight. This was before that last update.

It also comes with a clear TPU case, 2 screen protectors, headphones, and a charger.

However all of this adds up just amounts to what you think is important in a phone.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 21, 2016

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

The 6P is so slow and laggy with such godawful battery life, I'm ready to risk a Note 7 fire just so I don't have to use this thing anymore.

Yeah, people talk up the 5x and 6p but they suck compared to this year's phones. I'm disappointed by both. The HTC 10, Axon 7, and Moto Z Play are all much better. That camera is pretty drat good, though.

E: This was a bit harsh. I didn't try any other phones in 2015 and I know the 810 and 808 have bad throttling problems, leading to the lag and photo processing issues. I really shouldn't be making comparisons to phones pre-14nm manufacturing process.

Android 7.0 is really nice, too.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

The 6P camera is excellent when it works. It very often crashes, stops responding, lags, takes forever to open, and has to throttle the rate I can take pictures because it overheats while processing HDR or panorama or whatever.

Yeah when I had the 6p it was pretty bad. The 5x camera I'm about to return is much better though which is weird to me.