Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm trying to buy a 128gb pixel on the pixel site. Since the availability is so low I suppose I could go for an XL or a normal size but I'm leaning towards xl. I have been checking daily (apparently the inventory changes daily?? Is that true?) but have never managed to 'catch' a 128gb one being in stock. Will it be like this forever? How can I actually buy a god damned pixel? I want to stick to my 30/month t-mobile e-plan so I'm going to buy it full price. Currently using a moto x 2013, so I've had my phone about 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
On the advice of this thread, I looked on the verizon store for the pixel and they have one available to buy online: xl, black 128gb, just what I want.

Question: I am on t-mobile. The verizon ones are unlocked, get the updates at the same time, and have 3 verizon apps on which I can just uninstall. Are the verizon pixels any different otherwise? Can I use my verizon pixel with t-mobile? I've got the sim already.

edit: loving lol, it will ship march 21. Google is missing the boat here. At this point I should wait to see what else is coming out.

edit 2: VVV this is "retail full price". They still would need me to get a plan?

redreader fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 9, 2017

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I've got a moto x 2013 (bought end 2014, so I've only had it 2.5 years), and was looking at the moto g5 plus, and comparing the processors in both (when I thought it was the qualcomm 817, but apparnetly it's the 825, which nobody knows anything about?). It looks like yeah, it is an improvement, but the 817 at least is not anything special. I was looking at the qualcomm 835 though and that looks like it would be a massive improvement. So I suppose I'm waiting for the pixel 2.

I want to get the same phone for my wife and I so that we can have the same problems/fixes. Also gently caress rooting phones, I don't want to do it any more. It took my pokemon go away from me. Also, my phone can't use the new Fire Emblem app for some reason. Those aren't really big enough reasons to upgrade. I don't watch movies on my phone, and normally sit at a computer. It's good for waze, phone calls, messaging while in work meetings, and facebook. I suppose for now I'll just wait and see what's announced.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Was feb 28 supposed to be 'new phone news day', or was that march 28? There didn't seem to be much news yesterday.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
When are we expecting the moto g5 + ? I'm eagerly awaiting it. Also when are we expecting more news / what phones are coming in the next few months that people are looking forward to? All I know about this year is:

-g5 / g5+ are coming 'soon'
-pixel 2 coming in q3/q4
-some samsung is coming ... soon? Is that a mid tier or a top-tier phone?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I have a moto x 2013.
My wife has a oneplus one.

We're both looking to upgrade. I was gonna get us both a pixel (we both want the same kind of phone so I can fix any problems we have, e.g. I replaced both 'unreplacable' batteries in our phones recently and am a techie in general) but I can't justify spending like 1600 on two phones.

My budget is up to about 450 per phone but less would be better. I've been mostly looking at the moto g5+, with the upgrades (apparently 299 for 4gb ram, 64gb).

My manager recommended the samsung s7 which he got for 360 from t-mobile. My question is, what's the current best in class at the range 250-450?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
After months of making GBS threads up this thread with 'which phone should I get for both of us', my wife and I both got the g5 plus 4/64 edition with lockscreen for 240 each.

I figure, since the alternative was the 128gb pixel XL that we were looking at: if we buy a new similar-tier phone every single year for three years rather than keeping the pixel for 3 years (which is how long we'd have held on to it if we'd bought it, in order to get our money's worth) we'd MORE than break even (240 x 3 = 720, vs pixel for 869). Also, if we want to buy a new phone that's pixel tier in 1 or 2 or whatever years, we'll have got our money's worth from this phone after 1 year anyway.

I'll post thoughts on the g5+ as soon as I get it, hopefully on friday which is what Amazon promised.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Armor-Piercing posted:

Would I be able to import a G5+ to Canada and use it without any problems (on Public Mobile)?

My Nexus 5 gave up last week, and I've got a G4+ arriving soon to replace it, but it looks like I can actually get the G5+ shipped here from Amazon.com for cheaper than just slightly more than buying the G4+ locally, which seems like the better choice. Maybe not for warranty though?

I can't actually answer your question, but if you're on GSM (like t-mobile or ATT here) or CDMA (verizon or sprint) look up the normal bands for those to see if your carrier's bands are compatible. The g5+ supports all of those.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

adorai posted:

Is the moto G4 still an attractive low cost phone? It's for my daughters 12th birthday. She currently has a fire phone, so anything is an upgrade.

Moto G5+ comes out literally, real-literally, this week.
https://www.amazon.com/Moto-Plus-5t...eywords=moto+g5

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

mod sassinator posted:

Had a good full day of usage and so far battery life on G5 plus is excellent.

I've had the g5+ since friday. It needs to be charged WAY less than once a day. It normally runs out in the mid afternoon the following day. I went for a pokemon go walk for 1.5 hours about 22 hours ago with a fully charged phone, and it was about 75% or 80% when I got home. I browsed and played fire emblem too for about 40 minutes last night. I sort of used it a bit throughout today, and the battery is still at 25% without having charged it since yesterday afternoon.

Apart from the amazing battery life, I like it a lot. There are no slowdowns, fingerprint sensor is great, download speeds on my 7 year old t-mobile sim are great, everything works well.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Moto g5+ possible issue: When I'm in a building on wifi and go outside to my car, it doesn't transition smoothly to 4g, and has GPS issues in waze. If I turn off waze and wifi, then reload waze, it works fine. I've seen this twice so far at different locations. Anyone else seeing this? I suppose I knew with my old phone to turn off wifi before I turned on waze / satnav. It's an ongoing android issue really, to come to think of it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

EdEddnEddy posted:

You could try turning on that Developer Options ability of "Cellular data always active" as well as "Aggressive Wi-Fi to Cellular handover" which might hit batter life a bit, but should keep you out of the data dead zone.

Much appreciated! I did that (tap build # 7 times to become a developer, then alter this setting in 'developer settings') and hope it makes a difference :)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
G5+ Satnav issue, part 2:

I previously thought that going outside while on wifi, and turning on waze for navigation, was the cause of my GPS not locking on and causing waze to not know where I am.

Today I already had my wifi off when I went outside and turned on waze about 15 seconds later. It did the same thing again, no gps lock on, and was fine as soon as I restarted it, allowing me to navigate. So it seems like my g5+ is worse than my moto x when it comes to the GPS. Anyone else seeing this?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
My wife dropped her pixel 3 and it works fine but the back glass including rear camera lens are cracked. I bought $90 worth of spudgers, tape, camera lens, rear glass for repairing it and watched a video, but lol I am poo poo at this stuff. I just figure it's better to try and fail than shell out 700 dollars for the newest pixel. The fix DOES look fairly simple, but a bit time consuming.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

bull3964 posted:

You do know that ubreakifix will do back housing on the Pixel 3 for $119 right?

no I don't know that. I suppose I do now. I wonder if she can cancel her ifixit order.

edit: 15 minutes too late to cancel!

sourdough posted:

And once you're getting to spending $100+ on a couple year old phone, probably better to try to find a deal on a 4a if money is tight

I figure it's worth fixing the phone since it still works fine apart from some glass damage.

redreader fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 7, 2021

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
We're just going to send the ifixit stuff back and get the phone repaired tomorrow, since it looks like there are 3 of those shops very close by. Super convenient! Thanks everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Good idea on the battery. And Ifixit said they'd just cancel the order, so that's great. The repair shop said to bring the phone in, then they'd order the parts which would take 3-5 days, then we'd bring it in again for the actual repair.