Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Whizbang posted:

The OPO runs on the heart of a forsaken child, you monster.

Rusty Venture being the designer of the OPO would explain a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Ochowie posted:

I hate to do this, but I might "rent" the N6 from Best Buy and see if it really is too big. My main concern is that the 6+ sticks out of the pocket of some of my jeans so the N6 might be way too big. The Moto stuff along with Moto Maker is what keeps pulling me towards the X.

Just be wary of the battery life on the Moto X. It's absolutely nothing to write home about. It gets me though a full day (like from taking it off charge to when I go to bed), but sometimes just barely. Other than that it's a great phone.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

What's wrong with Google Photos? I agree it's a little clunky, but I'm amazed I can search for stuff like "photos of a bookcase" and it finds pictures of bookcases I took two years ago.

My big gripe about Google Photos backups is that there's no dedicated place to go and see just photos that you had backed-up, nor is there a way to bulk download just those photos. When you go on the web you get your backup stuff plus any dumb thing you've ever posted to G+/Hangouts.

Or rather I've never been able to find a way to do these things, maybe I'm dumb.

On another note: I just got a new set of Sennheiser headphones that are SUPPOSED to be Android compatible but apparently whoops not so with the Moto X for some reason. Is there any way or app that anyone knows of to make a phone recognize a headphones in-line controls?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

baka kaba posted:

Dunno about bulk downloads, but if you go to your pics and click in the search box you get an Auto Backup category

Hallelujah. At least we're half-way there, then. Good find.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

The Dark One posted:

Is the Moto G physically incapable of supporting three-button headphone remotes?

Might be a Moto thing in general. I just got a the button remote headset for my Moto X and so far my research is that the remote will not work. Single button headsets work fine.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, I ended going with the Moto X like everyone here recommended. So far it looks like a pretty awesome phone. Still setting it up and getting everything running but looks like it'll be perfect for work.

Is there any way to get rid of what I imagine are unesseary Verizon Apps? Not seeing anything they do that Google doesn't cover natively in Android.

As hooah said, you can disable them; go into Settings, Apps, All, and then go into each app you want to disable and choose 'disable'. I've got a Verizon 2014 X as well and you should be able to disable literally every Verizon app on the phone. The only two things you can't disable that you may want to are the stock Messaging app (in the event you decide to use another SMS app) and the stock Voicemail app (which is actually very good and I abandoned Google Voice for it).

The X is a great phone, just a little weak on the battery side of things. It does charge pretty fast with even with just the included charger though, and faster still if you shell out for a Turbo charger.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Has anyone heard anything about the Verizon 2014 Moto X getting the advanced calling update? I find it really bizarre that it got Lollipop already but still hasn't got advanced calling, while the Turbo is the other way around.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Doctor Butts posted:

I convinced my dad to get a 2014 Moto X. I helped him set it up (xfer stuff from his samsung piece of poo poo).

Anyway, I don't like the UI on the new Moto X. I much prefer how it looks on my 2013 Moto X. I was really confused by the placement of some of the options (and some were moved). And I think I messed up somewhere by configuring the voice through moto's app instead of google.

But once my dad got used to how to do things, he's really impressed. Notifications and voice activation are still awesome.

If it's a Verizon Moto X get used to the UI, because that's Lollipop and you're going to be getting it on your 2013 model sooner rather than later.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Doctor Butts posted:

I know. I can't stand the way they changed the notification pulldown.

Honestly I find the notification panel and lockscreen implementation to be one of Lollipop's better changes.

The volume rocker/silent situation, that's the real tragedy.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

ThermoPhysical posted:

Still looking to replace my Nexus 4 and I have a question to those with the Moto X 2014. Is the lack of OIS a big deal with it? I may pick one up this February if I don't go with my original plan of a Nexus 5.

The camera is a big deal to me and I'd like a decent one, but I don't want a Note 4 or anything like that. I'm assuming that with the upgrades to Android via Kit Kat and the upcoming (maybe) RAW stuff that the 5 can do, that it is the better camera.

If you care about the camera you'll probably want to avoid the X or at least really look into some sample shots from one. It's not a bad camera and probably better than the Nexus 4, but it won't wow anyone.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Speaking of Google Now it will now be able to pull in cards from 3rd party apps:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/30/7953025/google-now-third-party-apps

That's really, really cool. I think.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Lblitzer posted:

Haha that's a pretty big mic drop considering the Moto phones don't have Lollipop yet. Verizon is picking up their game it seems on the update side.

The 2nd gen Moto X on Verizon got (a working version) of Lollipop in like November. :smug:

bull3964 posted:

Those hoping that Moto will revisit the 2013 X form factor shouldn't hold their breath.

With the changes made this year, Motorola has sold 118% more phones last quarter than a year ago.

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-shipped-10-million-phones-last-quarter-118-percent-year-ago

Big phones sell.

I really didn't like the idea of going to a 5"+ phone when I got the Moto X but now that I have it I can't imagine going smaller. So, go big phones or go home I guess.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

the milk machine posted:

I really like the idea of a battery that could get me from waking up in the morning to going to sleep at night without needing to be plugged in, but the X really looks and feels nice. As for the camera, is the X noticeably worse?

They're both relatively new; are they likely to see a meaningful update this year?

I've read reviews and such, but I'm wondering more what the real world differences would be and I'm not an Android expert.

If you care about battery life go with the Turbo. The X's battery can get through a whole day for sure but A) it'll be close to death by then and B) might not make it if you're a heavy user.

The camera on the X is fine but it's not anything game-changing.

Oh and the X is already on Lollipop and it's stable. I haven't had any of the widespread Lollipop-related issues.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is probably a dumb question but are the Moto voice assist (ok moto x) and the same as the ok google or is it just a redundant poo poo that uses google anyways?

Basically, any benefit to using it over what google already has in place?

Moto Voice can do some unique stuff on it's own (ask it "what's up" to get a reading of your pending notifications, or tell it "talk to me" to have incoming calls/SMS announced to you for a half-hour), and anything it can't handle natively it pipes to Google. The main advantage, however, is that Moto Voice is always-listening so it works even if the screen is off. If you turn off Moto Voice you lose that.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

robodex posted:

I'm not paying $2.49, especially when I'd rather just disable the LED completely :v:

Lucky for you that they also offer a free lite version!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rageconsulting.android.lightflowlite&hl=en

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

4th reboot inexplicably fixed it. :v:

Might be more GEL than the update, as I've been noticing GEL do weird things to widgets on my 5.0 Moto X and 5.0.2 Nexus 7. Like, recently updated widgets show up in the tray as their package name with the Android robot instead of the usual preview image.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Endless Mike posted:

When Apple first added the camera shortcut to the iOS lockscreen (iOS6?), it wasn't (and still isn't) immediately apparent how to use it, with the obvious thing being to tap the icon. Doing this just makes the bottom of the screen bounce a little as if it's saying "Hey, I'm under here! Swipe up for me!" which I always thought was cute.

I actually just had to explain this to my mom. I was over at my parents place for a family thing and I saw that she kept unlocking the phone to take photos. I asked her why she wouldn't just use the camera lockscreen shortcut and she said "that never works". So I took the phone and swiped the camera icon up and she had this :aaa: moment before she goes, "I thought you were just supposed to tap it!"

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

bull3964 posted:

The non-nexus updates are a bit harder to quantify because there's nothing that says the manufacturer couldn't have patched a memory leak issue while still keeping the version lower. Features and patches are back ported all the time.

5.0.2 for the 2013 Moto X should drop within days. The soak test for it started this weekend.

Moto may have fixed the leak for the Moto X2, because I've had 5.0 (not .01 or .02) since November and I have like zero issues with it in terms of redraws, app crashes, etc.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
So Smart Lock Trusted Places has decided to stop working on my N7 out of the blue. Trusted Devices works fine but now it will not stay unlocked at my house no matter what I do. So far I've tried uninstalling updates from Play Services and reinstalling, reboots, turning Smart Lock off and then on again and redoing my trust place, and various combinations of those things. Does anyone have any other things to try before I give in and wipe this thing? It's on 5.0.2 and AFAIK Play Services is up-to-date.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

ninmeister posted:

I have a Droid Turbo, and use the Moto app for sleep silencing at night. I have it set to ring through the silence mode if two tries are made. Is there any way that I'm missing to have this include Google Hangouts video or voice calls?

Nope, it's only for phone calls from the actual dialer app. Also I hate to be the bearer of bad news but: Don't get too attached to the feature. Assuming Moto pushes the same changes to the Turbo with Lollipop that they did with the Moto X, that feature will go away.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Waltzing Along posted:

I used to have a S3. Now I have a Moto X 2014. I am happy, in general, with the change. There is one major feature that I miss from my old phone and I am hoping for some advice.

On the S3, wherever I went, it would update the weather and a nice teeny readout would show at the top.

I've gone through a number of apps and though a few of them do this, they are very inconsistent. Some only show the "main" locations weather. Some, like WU, only update if I open the app for the most part.

I just want something that displays current info based on location and that works.

Advice?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding exactly what you're asking for, but I would say the vast majority of weather apps do this (auto-update weather based on location and show it via either a homescreen widget and/or a notification tray entry). I mean, off the top of my head I'd recommend Beautiful Widgets or Weather Timeline. Some apps require you to manually set them to auto-update though, so be sure to check that.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

nimper posted:

Does have turbocharging which is nice

Qi charging is nice, Turbocharging is actually useful.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

butt dickus posted:

What's actually useful is not having to fiddle with a cord right before I go to sleep. I don't care about the extra hour or so it takes to charge my phone because I'm sleeping.

One day we'll have wireless turbo charging and it's going to be amazing.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
My buddy apparently just demolished his Droid Maxx screen. He doesn't have insurance through Verizon or whatever. He's not very technical/handy so I think him replacing the screen on it's own is out of the question. What are his options for getting the screen fixed? I don't think he's had the phone for a year yet, but probably more than 6 months.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

nerve posted:

Is there a consistent way to remove something like Google play music from the notification shade? It's sitting in there and I'm not listening to anything, but when I swipe right on it it just bounces back and stays. Won't let me do anything.

E: Immediately after posting this I just pressed the pause button in the shade and it disappeared

I think notifications like that only go away if Android thinks they are idle so yeah, it's there unless there's no media playing. Once in awhile PocketCasts' notification won't get the memo that I stopped the media stream and the notification stays stuck there until I hit the pause/play button on the shade.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

DrBouvenstein posted:

Got my Moto X today, still doing some setup stuff.

Either it or my old phone didn't want to do the "tap to transfer poo poo" thing, but the auto Android backup does a good enough job of getting back most of my stuff.

Now, maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought the 2014 X was on 5.0.1? Is that not true? My drat One M7 has it, why can't a phone released 18 months later have it?

Though to be honest, I don't know what was added in 5.0.1.

The Moto X got Lollipop in like November, way before other phones and before there was a 5.0.1, I believe. Now Moto is jumping right to 5.1 for their next round of updates. 5.0.1 doesn't add anything other than bug fixes though and personally I've had zero issues with 5.0 on the X, including the memory leak issues.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Erdricks posted:

Moto X vs. Nexus 6 - what is the consensus?

I just want a decent camera, speakers loud enough to hear Netflix, and decent call quality. Battery isn't really an issue since I'm always around power, but signal can be tough since I'm on tmo.

I'm currently using an m7 with arhd, which I liked and felt no need to upgrade until I got hit with the "can't make calls" bug. I'm tired of loving around with workarounds and custom firmware and poo poo in general. I just want something that works.

Unless you really hate the size of the Nexus 6 it sounds like the 6 will be your better bet. The Moto X has a completely average camera at best and it only has one front-facing speaker. It's a good speaker but the 6 has stereo front speakers so that'll obviously sound better.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've been having a weird problem with Hangouts since switching to a Moto X.

Sometimes, when I click on the notification for a new message, it takes me to that conversation, but WAY back in time...like, two weeks ago, and I have to scroll way the gently caress down to the actual new message.

Anyone else have this problem?

It's not every time, maybe half the time...and only when going to the conversation via the notification. If I click on the Hangouts icon, it will always load up the last message in the conversation.

I've had this issue on Hangouts on multiple devices since forever, I thought it was just a Hangouts bug.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Here's a bit of an obscure question: I have a 2014 Moto X and I'm currently using the stock camera. I leave HDR on Auto. Sometimes when I take photos I see that the filename gets appended with either "HDR" or "TOP". The HDR tag is obvious by anyone know what "TOP" means?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

hooah posted:

Speaking of quick charge and cars, how do I sort out a good QC-compatible car charger from all the likely horrible crap on Amazon? Also, one that doesn't stick far out of the cigarette lighter thing would be nice because it's by my shifter.

I bought http://www.amazon.com/Powermod-Charge-Certified-In-Vehicle-Charger/dp/B00P9UILUM/ref=pd_sim_cps_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1Y0WR63EGZR9TJXX58SG and all I can say is A) It does not stick out far at all and B) So far it has not exploded and killed me.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
How much Verizon bloatware you get seems to depend on the phone. I have a 2014 Moto X and my brother has a Droid Turbo, and he has more bloatware than I do. The X has like 5 VZ apps on it and NFL Mobile while the Turbo had a number of other things. Disabled them all upon activation and it's been roses since.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

RZA Encryption posted:

Google really does have a marketing problem with auto backup. Even though I've told her many times that it doesn't, my mom thinks auto backup is going to insta-post to google plus.

I feel like it's more an issue with the idea of ~the cloud~ than the particular service. I've got a few iPhone friends who are terrified of iCloud because Apple is going to get their data and something something.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Having photos go to a folder in your Drive account has always been my top want for Google's photo service simply because it makes it way, way easier to prune out those goofy photos. As soon as it went live on my account I say down at the PC where my poo poo syncs too and just went through the folder deleting all the dumb "hey guys look at this crazy thing" photos I had accumulated.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I just switched from a Galaxy S4 to an S6. On the S4, when I received a text message, the screen would wake up briefly. It was great for noticing new texts out of the corner of your eye. Now on the S6 the screen doesn't wake. All it does is flash the very small indicator light, which is trickier to notice. Is there a way to get the phone to wake to the lock screen when I receive a text? Is it because the default messenger app is currently Verizon Messenger? The default Samsung SMS app is so much uglier.

I believe you can use LightFlow to wake the screen when you get a notification. Also if you want a pretty SMS app try Google Messenger.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Moto has been weird with their updates this cycle. My 2014 Moto X (on Verizon no less) got 5.0 back in November but it was advertised as getting Advanced Calling by "the fall". It's now nearly the following summer and still no Advanced Calling.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Thermopyle posted:

I finally got around to buying an iOttie car mount. How can I keep the screen of my 2013 Moto X on while I'm driving?

Do you connect to a bluetooth device in your car? If so you should be able to use something like Llama to set your screen timeout to "never" when connected to BT device X. Other wise I think Android has a built-in setting in dev options to keep the screen on when it's on AC power, so you could check that and then just plug the phone in.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Google may know what weird websites I go to and what my gross fetishes are, they may know what books I read and movies I watch, they may know everyone who I contact frequently, they may know where I am and where I go, and they may even know what my heart rate is at the moment but by God they will not know how funny looking my dick is.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Moto Voice is kind of flaky. Like, often when I tell it "play SONG by ARTIST" it happily launches YouTube instead of Play Music. This is not very useful in the car, which it the main place I want to use Moto Voice. When I use Google's built-in voice stuff, though, it always gets it right.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I've only ever used multiple profiles on my tablet, never my phone. If I set up a work profile on my phone will calls/texts coming into my number show in either profile? I assume that they would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
With the Verizon 2nd Gen Moto X it was super-fast from soak test to full release. Like, I want to say that the same week. Moto is weird.