Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

binarysmurf posted:

Hey,

Assuming I switch from iOS to Android, is there a way I can text from my Mac via my Android phone in a similar way that Continuity works with iOS?

Pushbullet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

DemonMage posted:

What do you guys use it for besides texting, or is that the key feature? I only use Hangouts really, so I have Pushbullet installed but haven't found much use for it.

I got it only to sync notifications between my phone and tablet. I also make use of monitoring notifications from my laptop at the office. You can push files as well.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mooktastical posted:

Can't help as far as replacement parts go, but you can check to see if it's still pressurized yourself, assuming you have the back replaced. Dial *#*#SERVICE#*#*, then go to service tests, then the pressure test. If the number goes up when you pinch the back and screen, you're golden.

That is pretty awesome.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I got this guy about a year ago and love it. Only thing missing for me currently is quick charge.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GTGETFG/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_5aFJvb5T1M277

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Has anyone got a trip report of the Galaxy S6 4 months in? My dad is considering getting one when he's due an upgrade at the end of September. He is currently on the 5S, and is ready for a change. Main thing he'll be looking for is nice smooth performance and better battery life.

Little late, but been using one since launch. No issues or slowdowns yet. The physical build quality is great.

I do itch for a nexus device sometimes, but that has nothing to do with the Samsung experience, just my own inner nerd.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How's the battery life? My dad would be coming from an iPhone 5S and the power falls like a rock. Did you ever use previous Samsung phones? A work colleague has an S3 and I couldn't believe how sluggish it was. As in a 5+ second delay when switching between apps.

Came from an S4. Broke that about 3 months before the S6 came out. In the meantime I used a 5S.

Battery life is fine on the S6. If I am not laying on the couch actively draining the battery with a game, it lasts me all day without issue.

As someone else has said, switching from an iPhone to an android device may be a hangup. So keep that in mind.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Wasn't in the S4 or the S6.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Ugh, I was hoping for more from the 5x. Looks like I may stick with my S6 for longer.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

TraderStav posted:

I'm in the same boat. As much as I like the Moto G I am having some serious tech lust at the moment and want to upgrade already. There is nothing WRONG with the G, but feel like I want more. How is the battery on the Note? Very interested to see how the 5x plays out. OIS camera may tip me over to that.

How is the battery going for you on the S6? If the Nexus 5x/6p are losers I may pick one of these two up.

I have had no issues. Screen is great and battery life lasts me the day. No slowdowns or anything yet.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Ragingsheep posted:

Is Smart Network Switch on? It automatically switches to data if the wifi connection is poo poo.

Hey neat, never knew about this! Thanks.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
With my S6 I have zero problems with Bluetooth streaming to cheap speakers off amazon. The head unit in my Jeep (stock head unit) seems to really dislike Bluetooth.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Day Man posted:

Just got a new gold Note 5. I'm loving it so far! The battery and screen are really great.

I was on the fence to upgrade my S6 when it came out. Do you use the S Pen much?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

C-Euro posted:

My wife's S6 is no longer charging when plugged into any sort of power source. Outlet, external battery, nothing. Tried restarting it, tried powering it off and plugging it in, nothing. The plug on the bottom doesn't appear to be damaged in any way, and all cables I tried work with my S4. Any ideas?

I'll take a stab at abuse/corrosion.

Both my wife and I got our S6's at similar times. She has been (from what I have seen) more rough with the micro USB port. Her's doesn't look damaged at all, but doesn't like certain cords that fit "loose". Those cords still work in my phone but seem touchy.

I'll take a second stab and say micro usb port on the s6 isn't the best, and is falling apart with use.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I know this has been covered before, but I cannot keep up with the fast pace of this thread.

Where is the best place to sell a used phone? Looking to dump my Verizon Galaxy S6 soon.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Lblitzer posted:

Amazon or Craigslist if you want the most money at the expense of time/meeting shady people

Swappa if you want ease of use and piece of mind

Ebay if you don't mind fees up the rear end

Glyde/Gazelle/etc if you want a no-fuss solution and want next to nothing

Thanks!

Edit: Verizon 4g LTE phones are all unlocked, correct? I just need to prove a clean ESN?

Moey fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 8, 2016

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Endless Mike posted:

They're all unlocked, but whether they'll fully work on AT&T or T-Mobile will depend on the phone.

Thanks, I'll let the buyer figure out the bands.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Smythe posted:

Do not ever purchase a non-Nexus Android device. There are no edge cases, there are no situations where it is preferable. There are no valid deviations. Do not ever purchase a non-Nexus Android device.

Samsung Pay kicks Google Pay's rear end.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Smythe posted:

I would never buy a phone that's not part of the Nexus line, and therefor a reference device that's directly supported by Google, so no - of course not. It's like asking a computer professional if they've ever bought an Alienware: Of course they haven't, you'd have to be stupid to make that choice while being informed.

You should try the S7, it is pretty nice.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Smythe posted:

A billion times faster. It's epic. My 6P lasts 2 days on 1 charge and goes from sub 15% to full in like a half hour or something. it's epic, and for the win.

You should see my S7 charge, it's like the stars align.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Doctor Butts posted:

Sorry I can't be more specific but look around in the config options for using wi-fi networks and data. I seem to remember an option somewhere (but not in wi-fi settings) that controlled whether it would just automatically start using any network.

I just dug through my Verizon S7 and couldn't find that. I recall something in the past, but unsure. I had to use an iPhone for a few months, so it could have been an Apple thing.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
My Verizon S7 has been getting timely security updates....

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Yeah I like the Nexus devices as well, bit I have a strange setup. I can buy my devices for the subsidised prices through work. 10 month period and my line is due for another upgrade.

Also, I am hooked on Samsung Pay now.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

RichterIX posted:

I've had good luck with AUKEY chargers. I just use the one-port one but I usually see people here recommend this one:https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-CC-T8-...harge+3.0&psc=1

Seconding this just in case anyone else cares. Been rock solid for me.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

illestG posted:

so my Galaxy S3 is making GBS threads the bed. I think I'm just going to upgrade. S5 / 6 / 7 ?? I can't do the research for myself.

I really like my S7. If you don't mind TouchWiz, go for it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Apparently Blu has a new phone that just came out that isn't terrible. 99 bucks, a different version is coming in September with double the ram and storage.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GUFAFP8

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
My Note 7 came yesterday, so far so good.

Stupid case doesn't arrive until Monday, so lets hope I don't drop this drat thing.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress off I want mine now. Is it cool?!

I am really enjoying it. I have been on the S4/6/7 train, so the larger screen is new to me, but am loving it. Beautiful display and build quality.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CLAM DOWN posted:

Assuming you use Gmail, switch to Inbox, it's really really good.

I'm trying this for the first time as well for my work exchange account. Seems to work fine.

I'll probably test out a few others while I am tweaking everything.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Wait, cell phones are not great investments? There goes my retirement.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Huge hint: Your cell phone gets used and abused everyday. Pay for whatever you want/need/can afford.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I was hoping before 2017, but earlier would be welcomed. You figure they would have been doing a lot of early testing for one of their brand new flagship phones.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Have not noticed that, but I don't use Android auto.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Nah I'm pretty sure it's still "defend your purchase"

Go for it. If you want a cookie cutter experience like your friends, go iPhone.

I still have no regrets with my Verizon sponsored Samsung phone. Disabling apps is easy, maybe next year you Samsung haters can have some of these features.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

ThermoPhysical posted:

But non-Samsung phones can already disable apps. :v: Though, I haven't disabled an app in about 3 years?

I'm not bashing Nexus phones or whatever you are yapping about.

If you have a subsidized purchase option still, I find the Samsung stuff great. If not, a nexus device is cheaper and you get pure Google android.

What is your point?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
We all seem to enjoy arguing in here.

CD, you get a case for your N7?

Edit - when with this one, was the best looking one for the blue phone. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GIUIE1C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_xbIVxb588RNSZ

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I am using google messenger and group messages to iPhones seem to work fine (as far as I know).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
The article I saw just said they were asking people to not use/charge them, unless something changed since earlier today.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Either all the nerd blogs stopped reporting on them blowing up, or everyone powered them off.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thermopyle posted:

You're a good person.

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
This man seems like a straight shooter. I have faith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmlhG1YpLbk