Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

SouthLAnd posted:

Anyone using an Axon 7? Supposedly they just released an update to improve a few things (one of which being camera performance). I've been looking at it since I need a new phone to replace my Moto X Pure Edition. It sounds like the Pixel XL is going to be pretty pricey and I don't think I can bring myself to spend more than 400USD on a phone anymore.

I do like that the ZTE has an AMOLED display and awesome front speakers/headphone output, and the custom OS stuff doesn't seem too terrible.

I took the plunge on the Axon 7 a week back and installed the update last night. Haven't had a chance to muck around with it after that but I'll try to keep you posted. Overall I've been relatively happy using the Axon 7 coming from a Nexus 5. The screen is nice and I forgot how much I missed having a 5.5 in screen from when I used to use a Oneplus One. Keep in mind that the hi-fi headphone output is only used when using the supplied music app (otherwise it defaults to the SD 820 headphone output) and is separate from the software-level Dolby enhancements (which should be safely ignored).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

Captain Yossarian posted:

No build quality issues at all for me.

64gb AND expandable storage.

Great battery life, fantastic screen, best phone speakers I've ever heard, great headphone DAC for those who care.

One of few Daydream certified phones for what it's worth (it does NOT Have nougat yet though). Google cardboard experience is great.

Re: headphone placement, I guess I prefer it on the top but not really thought about it.

The nexus 6p takes about a million times better night shots. The Axon 7 takes the best daytime shots of any phone I've had and processes Hdr basically instantly (hated how slow my nexus 6 was in this).

I have mostly had a similar experience to this, but I find that daylight photos are often aggressively noise reduced or to the point where finer details are lost. Is there a way this can be altered via software or is this a limitation of the camera module?

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

PerrineClostermann posted:

How's the Axon 7?

Good screen, good build quality, good battery life, great audio, okay camera. It remains to be seen if ZTE can keep up on software but I'd assume at the very least Nougat is coming so it can actually use Daydream as it was touted ready for and there have been talks about supporting Cyanogenmod down the line. :shrug:

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

Captain Yossarian posted:

Yeah sorry you are right, I should clarify! If the camera thinks it should engage "night mode", it takes mediocre pictures. Dusk, indoor, etc are generally fine. The 6p takes much better low light shots fwiw

Yeah I've resigned to not relying on the auto mode in anything but sunny conditions. In dimly lit scenes HDR can tend to overexpose/blow out the image unnaturally (which is nice for making a legible photo but not as nice for accuracy) and if you turn it off Night mode engages and it's pretty much useless if you don't have the world's steadiest hands.

Luckily the stock camera app's manual mode is quite robust so getting okay pictures in low-light is possible if you're willing to futz around with settings. Not exactly ideal, but you're not completely up the creek without a paddle.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

RZA Encryption posted:

Unrelated: I think it's funny how often this means "my jeans don't look like they fit me". You can have well fitting jeans that aren't skinny jeans or make you look like a hipster.

Related: I'm going from a nexus 6 to a pixel small, and I'm curious how long it will take to adjust.

If your phone isn't leaving a noticeable fade on your jeans then your jeans don't fit right. :colbert:

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Cue the posts asking why you carry pocket knives.

(I carry a Victorinox in my back pocket, away from my phone :shobon:)

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
It depends on the game. The ports of the Sonic games play fantastic because they're one button plus a d-pad.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
As a member of the expandable storage and locally stored video file consuming master race I typically find tha-*splits jorts*

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
My bank and I assume most other banks in my country (Canada) are heavily pushing self-service which includes the use of a banking app. :shrug:

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Did they not keep the DPI scaling option from Cyanogenmod in OxygenOS? I really liked that option back when I used a Oneplus One.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
I like my Axon 7 but I like my Pixel much, much more.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

Vasler posted:

That's very strange. It shows as out of stock for me. Perhaps that's because I'm in Canada?

Thank you for providing your thoughts on the Pixel vs the Pixel XL everyone, I really appreciate it. I'm still not quite sure what to get. I'm now leaning towards getting the Pixel (non-XL) 128 GB since it's both in stock at the moment and seems only marginally different from the non-XL.

I've talked to some other folks and they say that while the 1440p screen is great, it will eat through battery faster. Someone else made that same point here on the last page. Not sure if it is true; it has given me another thing to think about.

My wife's Pixel is amazing and it makes my Nexus 5 look like a piece of (slow) junk. My Nexus 5 has been a great phone. I did have to do the desk-whack thing a few times though!

If you are fond of the Nexus 5 form factor as I am then you will greatly appreciate the non-XL Pixel.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
My Pixel was delivered one day after I got the shipping confirmation. I live five minutes away from the Canada Post distribution centre though, for what it's worth.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
The pixel has a notification led? Oh huh it does.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
The only protection I feel I need on my pixel is a dbrand skin on the back glass so I don't feel bad about sliding it around on a table. Also to make it easier to distinguish the fingerprint reader.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
I've never had a screen protector that still felt good to use after a month or so because the coating wore off or the gaps kept collecting dust and ticked me off enough to just peel it off. Maybe I kept buying cheap poo poo, who knows.

Of course on the other hand one of my friends replaced his OnePlus one's screen twice and after cracking it the third time he gave up and bought a nexus 5x. Which now also has a cracked screen. An ounce of prevention might have helped him there.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
You forgot the IR blaster. :mad:

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
I like to use AIMP for playing local media. Not super bloated, plays nearly anything, and I find the interface intuitive.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

ShoogaSlim posted:

Further, I'm trying to talk to this goober retard from Google about my issue and he suggested keeping my phone in Safe Mode while driving. Are you loving mental? I told him I can't do that and need to exchange the device and was just told that I need to factory restore it (fair suggestion that echoes ones in this thread) but very quickly moved away from the idea of an exchange.

If you're driving while you dial into a call center for tech support you may actually be the goober retard.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Normal watches are actually still extremely cool and good.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
I've got a Casio Databank that can store up to 30 phone numbers and is multi-lingual. Pretty smart for a wristwatch imo.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
For real though actual watches can be far more expensive than $100 so $100 for a smartwatch that lets you use your smartphone more effectively isn't that unreasonable. The main cost is the opportunity cost of having to wear something that might be really clunky or tacky on your wrist instead of a nice watch.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

G-Hawk posted:

Fair enough and not really into getting into my phone vs your phone or whatever, I'll just say personally speaking, probably 80-90% of my interaction with a smart phone is reading/typing. Reading a website, an article, emails, texts, google hangouts, twitter, whatever. For that, screen quality, size, responsiveness are basically my top priorities by a lot.

Isn't struggling to scroll smoothly through a list a pretty bad sign for general usability no matter what your use case is.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
I have a friend who used to sell Samsung TVs at Best Buy and he complained to me that LG would constantly undercut Samsung's prices but the Samsung models had ~superior specs~. :mmmhmm:

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Last I checked the Axon 7 is still on the March security patch. Specs don't matter when the software experience isn't tuned like a Pixel.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
It's true. When they did push out 7.0 they only updated it to Dec 2016 instead of the Jan 2017 that was current at that time, too.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
As a fellow small hands person I just do the pinky shelf and I can use the pixel one handed without too much difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

Randabis posted:

Is it really worth the trouble of diving in and rooting/custom romming it? Right now I just have it on the latest stock B32 update and looking at forums online seems like It's be pretty easy to go custom, but I'm just not sure what that would really do for me over keeping the stock setup.

MiFavor doesn't seem to be improving dramatically any time soon (you can finally edit the quick toggles!) and ZTE's security update pace can be described as languid at best. Not sure if going custom still breaks the fancy hifi dac inside though.