Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
They did announce a 5.5" 1080p phone with a 3630 mAH battery. So that's nice. Moto X Play is a snapdragon 615.

The Moto X is 5.7" qhd phone with a 3000 mah battery with the snapdragon 808

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

The camera in the Play is supposed to be the same as the Style (or at least has 21mp like the style)

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

With the new Moto X Pure coming out, it looks like it has "Universal LTE". Does that mean I can use it on any carrier in the U.S. without issue? Surely, it can't be that easy.

Well I mean you'll have to go get a sim card but yeah it should work fine barring verizon being dumb (since they're advertising it'll work on all four networks verizon probably won't be dumb). Also AT&T is increasing the "Bring your own device" fee so that's a thing.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

AT&T HTC One M7 on some sorta halfway rooted stock version of 4.4.2 that I kinda screwed up am too lazy to go fix/tear down and start over with did not check out.

I had no business trying to root this thing but whatever.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I went AT&T Infuse -> GSM Gnex (Europe unlocked import or something) -> HTC One M7 and I've been fine with everything battery life wise though I did go kinda crazy with the Infuse with custom builds/whatever.

Though the HTC One is a little banged up now and there's a speck of dirt stuck in the camera. Looking at the Moto X Pure and the new 5ish inch Nexus.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Shai-Hulud posted:

You can now configure your Moto X Play on the european Moto Maker. Shipping seems to happen at the end of August.

Sorry US residents, guess you cant have cool phones :smug:

Moto X Play is that middle phone (with the larger battery than the Moto X Style/Moto X Pure but a different processor). We don't get the phone no matter what happens. Oh well.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Nexus announcement is supposed to be around the end of this month, September 29th or so.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

gmq posted:

I have a first-gen Moto G that I'm looking to replace.
I can get a Moto X Pure 16GB, a Galaxy S6 32GB or a LG G4 32GB for exactly the same price (about 600 bucks, thanks third world country!), which one would you get? Are there any major differences between the phones besides the brand?

Well the camera's really good in the LG G4 if you put the effort into messing around in manual mode. Leather back isn't that good/not as good as the Moto maker leather back.

Moto X Pure is stock android. Galaxy S6 is a samsung phone so touchwiz, etc but also has a good camera. I think they all get 4ish hours of screen on time, not sure about that one though.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Eh they are supposedly talking about a couple new chromecasts too so it's not just going to be phones and marshmallow.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Besides the wifi is there any reason to upgrade?

probably that pre-fetch caching thing. Not sure if it'll work with the old chromecast

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

repiv posted:

Rumours said the new one supports 4K... but is there any streamable 4K content to show on it? :confused:

Netflix has 4k but only through specific TVs that have the app built in

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Mrit posted:

Stats pages I've found say stereo...

Google's tech specs page has it as a "single front-facing speaker". https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6102470?hl=en&rd=1

The 6p has dual stereo front-facing speakers

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Tev posted:

Just pre-ordered a 6P, very excited.

Anyone care to explain (if we even know at this stage at all) the difference between what Google has listed on the specs sheet as "Fast Charging" compared to the Quick Charge capabilities on some phones that are currently out. Is it different because it's USB-C? Should I wait to buy any new battery packs, wall plugs, and cables til we know for sure?

Right now all indications are that it's probably different from QC2.0. I'd wait until we know for sure though.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Chill Penguin posted:

So... did they say ANYTHING about Marshmallow? Like, maybe... when the 5 & 6 are getting it?

Next week, probably the leaked date of October 5th.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

bull3964 posted:

FYI for all you people ordering the new 5x and want to be able to unlock the bootloader as soon as you get it, google is only including a USB C to USB C cable. You will NOT be able to use it to plug into your computer. You'll have to be sure to order a USB A to USB C cable ahead of time. The 6P comes with the A-C cable, but the 5X does not.

Google has since come out and said that the 5x WILL have a usb c to usb cable like the 6p. They haven't updated the store or other pages though. Looks like I was wrong. Well poo poo.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 2, 2015

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Just looking for a source on this. Plenty of blogs do not agree with this.

Huh. I can't find it anymore. Thought some summary said that the AMA said there was a usb c to regular usb cable with the 5x. I just looked through the AMA and that wasn't in there.

Well that sucks.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

If you want a Pepsi Phone, pal, you're gonna pay for it.

Fine just give me a Galaxy Tab.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

codo27 posted:

Nah son. Got a S5 now and I hate it. Not just the fact that its Samsung garbage but the size is all wrong.

Well there's always the Iphone 6s since no one wants to make a good smaller android phone.

I mean moto g 3rd edition is alright but not a flagship or anything.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wait, for chip purchases, you leave your card in the entire time the clerk is ringing you up?! Why is it not just for the 10 seconds it takes to pay at the end? That's how it is in Canada, which is chip/pin. Was the same in New Zealand, where it's called eftpos.

Yeah not the case here for the one or two I've used. If it you pull it out too soon the thing breaks and the cashier had to pretty much go to another register while the one rebooted.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Captial One has decided that pins are a pain and made some of their cards chip and signature instead of chip and pin.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 17, 2015

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Might be dumb router issues. Not wireless, just the router in general.

Otherwise I dunno that's some bad luck. Is this with plex or something? Plex will sometimes become disconnected but that's more my phone just shoving plex out of running apps for the fun of it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

No, it's Netflix, Hulu, and Google Play. CC 100% fails my wife test, which is a shame because it's a really good idea.

I think if it came with a remote that let you do basic play/pause/seek I'd like it better. Using the phone for everything is kind of a hassle. I know it has HDMI-CEC but that's a garbage protocol that doesn't work reliably.

Well that sucks. Sounds like you'll be better off with a Roku or a Fire TV or Nvidia Shield if you were going into this for kodi without laggy menus and google play store support.

Nexus Player is hit or miss and sometimes has worse problems than the chromecast (with casting at the very least) and the extra money thrown at a Nvidia Shield ends up being worth it then even if it costs like $250ish for it + remote.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

My only plex issue is that the voice audio is too soft if something has more than stereo audio but oh well not much I can do there unless I want to get a receiver and speakers

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Daily Forecast posted:

Look at all these people, living in the 21st century, and not just using an aux cable like a neanderthal would.

Some of us still use 3.5mm headphone jack on the phone outputting to FM station thing. Car is from 1999 so yeah not like I got any other choice and I'm not putting anything new in there at this rate since I've had the car for 12-13 years.

edit: I tried out google play music once and it would forget the song position if you left it paused for an hour or two on my htc one m7. The basic music app, probably htc music, doesn't have this problem so I've just been using that.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 2, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Guys guys guys.

It could be worse. You could be stuck on a HTC One M7 whose notification pane doesn't even pull down unless you are in landscape mode.

On a related note if anyone picks up a S7 or LG G5 let me know what they think. I need a new phone. Not really interested in a Nexus 6p 'cause that dumb snapdragon 810 thing. Even if it's a dumb reason to discount a phone.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

dustbin posted:

I'm upgrading from the galaxy s4 to the S7. Should the S4 charger work with the S7 and be completely compatible? I'd like to use it as a backup at work.

Assuming it's Micro USB still, yes. It probably won't do quick charging though. Edit: I'm still using my old Samsung Infuse (good 'ole Froyo) charger for my htc one.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

dustbin posted:

Thanks. I don't mix my chargers for my tablet and phone because they were made by different manufacturers and I read that was bad but I wasn't sure how cautious to be for different versions of the same phone

I haven't had problems but none of my chargers (or phones) support quick charging.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Is there a place to buy unlocked Samsung phones in the US that is like Motorola's store, and gives you a couple years free financing like Moto and the various carrier programs?

Not advocating financing consumer electronics, but it's what most people do.

No. I mean you could I guess buy the phone without a contract but it will still be locked to X carrier. I think it technically is unlocked until you put that carrier's SIM into there but odds are the carrier will already do that before you get the phone.

You can buy an unlocked variant from the UK but that will have no warranty since it is an international phone.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Daily Forecast posted:

Could be. Who the hell uses a Microsoft account?

Also possible: maybe the difference is that my computer doesn't have a 'manufacturer' because I built it and installed a 'clean' Windows myself? In which case, it's not really Microsoft's fault.

My surface pro 4 sometimes gets Install office 365 notifications on the notification pane on the right. Same with my desktop that I built which has an upgrade install of windows 10 on top of a retail win 8 install. They both are using a Microsoft account so that's probably what causes the notification.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Think the only "advantage" is that you can sync with onedrive and you're forced to use a password when you log in to windows.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I went Nexus S on sprint for like 5 days before realizing that no my old blackberry didn't have a bad radio sprint just had bad reception to swapping onto the family plan at AT&T with an Infuse 4G to a galaxy nexus import to this htc one m7.

I was considering the Galaxy S7 but "just once" not being there and the back button swapped are kind of deal breakers.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I tend to turn my desktop off every night but my old htc one m7 that I hosed up rooting can usually last three or four weeks before suddenly slowing to a crawl. Also at&t's splash screen boot noise is real drat loud.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

The 32GB 6P is $425 on Amazon now...that's $75 off.

64 and 128GB 6P are also $75 off. I'm pretty drat tempted to snag a 64GB 6P

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

So am I crazy or something or can I not hide contacts without phone numbers from all contacts on my 6p? This is kind of a stupid. I don't want to see a bunch of e-mail contacts on my phone's dialer.

edit: Sure I can just start typing in the name to search I guess, but it's weird that it won't hide contacts without phone numbers on the dialer but is fine doing that on the messenger. Google you're weird sometimes.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 15, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Smythe posted:

Google Contacts are insanely hosed up. I especially like in Hangouts (which I use as an old GVoice port and now a Fi subscriber, to have sync'd chats across all devices I have on my Google account including Desktop) there is no good way to search contacts. Typing in a name pulls down literally every human on earth to text and sometimes mysteriously omits the only one you want, if you initiated the conversation as SMS and don't have them in Hangouts proper. It is intensely fail and always has been. The hangouts Chrome App and also the hangouts.google.com are also hosed up and mentally ill. I have no idea what their deal is. You have to scroll through your chats to find the one you want. The old voice.google.com worked loving great so I can't fathom the hangup.

Fun. Solved my problem for the most part. They hid "customize contacts to display" under the contacts apk when you're on all contacts. It won't show up in the dialer when you're on all contacts though. You have to use your groups instead of just showing everything in my contacts. I guess you also have to organize those in contacts.google.com too. Workarounds are better than nothing I guess.

edit: Nevermind that doesn't actually fix it on the dialer only in contacts itself. :sigh: I'll figure this out later or just return this and get something else.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 15, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Endless Mike has the right idea.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Honestly still kinda worried about spontaneous visor shattering on my 6p since from what I could google no one really figured out what was causing it just a handful of things that may have caused it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

UserErr0r posted:

Just got the Nexus 6p, which apparently uses the nano, not micro SIM card size.
Assuming it can be cut: between finding someone locally who has the right tool, or contacting TMobile for a new card, what would be the best solution?

I'm in a similar situation but AT&T and I'm just going to make a trip out to an AT&T corporate store sometime on the weekend/next week.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

RZA Encryption posted:

My Nexus 6 has a "double tap the power button" camera shortcut.

Same thing with my 6p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

At least you can buy an unlocked LG G5 but yikes. Wish I could use someone other than AT&T but everyone else has bad service where I'm at.