Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

mojo1701a posted:

This is related to my earlier question: how cheap are cell phones in Europe compared to North America? I'm heading to France next week, and with the way European SIM cards work, I'm wondering if buying a reliable phone there with a French SIM card, then getting the plan transferred here.

How stupid is this option?
The Moto G5 Plus will be the equivalent of 330 USD there. It'll come with 3GB/32GB and nfc and a euro type power plug but no compass or ads-sponsored option.

This is reasonably representative for the price ratios in general, ie. not cheaper at all.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Isn't the general rule of thumb for electronics in Europe that the number is the same but the price is in Euros?
Or lower specced and/or more expensive, yes. Prices all taxes included though and warranty is 2 years minimum for electronics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Blue Train posted:

The g5+ has no nonplus version afaik.
Moto G5 definitely exists.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I'm confident you'll get by without it anyway. It's not that exciting.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

LastInLine posted:

For what it's worth I did find the G5+ at Carphone Warehouse but it looks like in your market it only comes with 3GB of RAM (in the US the options are 16GB/2GB & 32GB/4GB). At £230 I'd pass.
Setting aside what they really need and what the other models cost, that's below the regular EU price for the 3GB G5+ though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Uthor posted:

Yes, I routinely not get Gmail and/or Calendar notifications overnight. A few other people here have said the same thing.

Running stock Android and Nova (which shouldn't matter). Already disabled both those apps from Doze.
All notifications are reliable enough for me, it's just the calendar ones that piss me off. If I specifically set it to notify me an hour before an event, it's pretty clear when I want it to notify me. Somewhere between two to twenty minutes later or maybe not at all until I touch the phone to check really won't do.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Blue Train posted:

smh goddamn motorola
3GB version gains NFC, but on the other hand loses the compass.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Gonna break up this oh so fun conversation to remind everyone again how much of a battery beast the Moto Z Play (2016) is.

Again, wifi only because I don't have a SIM in it, however...

3 days since last charge with 4 hours 40 minutes of SOT, 29% battery left.
Mobile standby is the main battery eater after screen on time afaik.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

ShoogaSlim posted:

Anyone have issues with Bluetooth and workout clothing? When i go to the gym to lift weights I leave my phone on the floor a few feet away and have no problem with interference using my jaybird headphones, but when I go running and put my phone in the pocket of nylon/spandex running shorts the audio completely cuts out until I move it away from the material.
So, um, nothing to do with how much of your body is blocking the line of sight between radio and receiver then? Spandex. The obvious reason.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

orange sky posted:

So I have a thing in my company where I must spend some money they gave me on a phone (it's a tax thing). I have around 700€ to spend and I'm in Portugal, and it must be only one phone.

What's the best thing I can buy for 700€? Eurogoons help me (I guess I can order from Amazon IT ES FR UK anyway). I've been looking into the S8, the bezelless screen just makes me go uhnggg. Any suggestions?

Also the LG V30 looks gorgeous but apparently it's going to be 900 €?
Looks like 700€ does buy you a Pixel or Pixel XL on a variety of those EU Amazon sites. Thead insists those are good phones. Possibly not as pretty? :shrug:

I don't think you'll find more of a consensus on what to buy.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Noted, thanks.

About the fast charging/quick charging or whatever. A work colleague has a Moto G4 and I want to get him a fast charger. The thing is, there are so many proprietary names I can't keep track and lots of the reviews of the phone are very loose with their terminology about what the phone actually supports.

Which of these would be the better choice?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016LPMFUA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2PGPJL0BBLHLX&psc=1

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUKEY-Char...GF4EKK33P2ZR306

Basically, all this talk of amps, volts, and wattage just confuses me. I was off sick the day they taught this at school and I never caught up.
The proprietary names aren't all just hollow and just knowing the available amps isn't enough, as the phone and the charger have to negotiate with each other or fall back to slow charging.

Anyway, the Anker one says it doesn't support Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0, while that would be the protocol the G4 uses, so that wouldn't be a good choice. The other charger supports Quick Charge 3.0, but should be backwards compatible with 2.0 if that is needed (don't know which version the G4 uses specifically).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

The G5+ they had selected is the 2GB version, while the G5s+ starts at 3GB.

Isn't the Amazon ad supported G5+ with 4GB in the same ballpark, price-wise, though?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

EdEddnEddy posted:

Heck I'm surprised actually they haven't gotten a way to make the tray hold both cards back to back so it's one size with readers above and below. Hmm.
That's exactly how the tray on the G5+ works.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

EdEddnEddy posted:

Look at videos, it seems somewhat close, but that tray is still super long for whatever reason. The tray on the U11 is shorter and still holds both cards.
The tray on the g5+ is long because there is a dual sim version. Two sims on the front, microsd card at the back. I misremembered as it seems all the contacts are at the same side. But using front and back of the tray does allow the cards to overlap a bit.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Google tells me that my phone can handle 64 GB max. What happens if I use something bigger? Do they just say 64GB because in 2012 that's the biggest they had back then and something bigger would be just fine? Or will it not work at all or will the phone use only 64GB no matter how big I put in? Beyond that how do I find out if this old phone uses sdxc or sdhc?
You can't know based on that information. So what you specifically should be googling for is for random forum posts of people saying they tried it and it works and then crossing your fingers. Amid the random noise, here's one guy saying it should work. According to the OP, this thread must also contain a person saying as much. More than one person in these Amazon reviews claims the same.

Sdhc cards have a maximum capacity of 32GB, so if the phone guarantees to support up to 64GB, it supports sdxc.

If it were me, I'd probably take the gamble.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

:lol: my Google Now feed had a link to a warez site because I'd shown interest in Adobe products.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

what the gently caress

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Blue Train posted:

Yeah on the Motorolas it won't even scan for stations without wired headphones plugged in. The app opens and says plug them in
The G5+ is my first phone that allows me to click through and try without headphones plugged in. And sure enough, it doesn't work for poo poo without antenna.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

codo27 posted:

gently caress you're right. Of all the fuckin gear I have here I dont have a drat thing that can accept a C cable. She's trying to figure out how to get all her music on now, I suggested zipping it all up, putting it on the NAS and downloading from there and unzipping on the phone. Bit of a gently caress around.
What the hell would zipping the stuff be good for?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

docbeard posted:

I guess if you're avoiding cloud based solutions, transferring one file is easier than transferring thousands of them.
Putting them in a regular folder works great for that. Either copying the folder or selecting all in the folder and copying that is piss easy. Will have partial result you can resume from on interruption as a bonus. Won't require fifteen minutes of unzipping gigabytes on your phone.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Shannow posted:

It's inelegant, but I've found a solution to there not being a working charge+headphone dongle for the pixel 2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00P78FCQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I went with this one and couldn't be happier. I like having the buttons when it's weather for gloves. Easily ten hours of music on that battery in real life. Wouldn't be able to tell the difference in sound quality against a wired connection if there is any. It has a mic for calling with non-headset headphones.

The only thing it's missing is a clip to attach it to clothing, but I just glued one to it.

I got one even though my phone has a headphone out. I don't like taking my phone out of my pocket.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

codo27 posted:

Very, very early here but liking the Pixel 2 so far, regardless of the bezels. Love the feeling of the back and the fingerprint sensor feels much less cumbersome than the gfs Essential. I just need to nail down a good local music player.
The free version of Pulsar does what I want, but I've found that people have wildly varying expectations of what a music player should do exactly, so just try it. All I'm doing is shuffle all and pause/resume the current shuffle all playlist.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

codo27 posted:

See thats exactly what I do. The problem is I've never had a good shuffle on any device or app. I always feel like I only get maybe 50 odd songs out of the 1200 I have.
The way Pulsar works is that when you hit shuffle, it just generates an already shuffled play queue that it plays sequentially. As long as you don't hit shuffle again and don't use the app to play files through a file manager or whatever (or wipe the app's cache, I guess) you can resume playing without repeats.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Blue Train posted:

You can only do it globally like you found out, to do it by app you need root and a third party app like tasker
You don't need root to do it with Tasker. You just disable sounds globally permanently and have Tasker play sounds for incoming notifications instead, based on what app they come from :v:

Might need some Tasker plugin to do that slightly more conveniently.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

This will be sweet if done properly.
Thread title, please.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thread title and HIMYM reference in one sitting? Swallow my cum, goonians.

Also, 13 years til I got a title :britain:
Thank you both for your service :tipshat:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Just put the screen on the back.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Yep, we're back to the feed recommending me "articles" on obviously super shady warez/serials/cracks websites based on me googling a Microsoft support page about Windows 10 activation on my phone one single time.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

On one hand I don't want to complain too loudly that they're not curating the content for malware related stuff, because who knows what they'd choose to label that in the future. On the other hand, guys, I'm sure that despite my efforts to sabotage data gathering efforts on my PC, you have a shitload of information on me and a single Google search shouldn't skew the content of the feed so badly.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I've seen behavior like that when the contacts of the sd card were dirty. Not to give you any hope, but cleaning them costs nothing to try.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

GhostDog posted:

I have a scan of an old school magazine I want to send to a Whatsapp group, to do that I go through the Gallery app
Use the documents app instead, select browse other docs..., select images, navigate to the folder where your images are, then sort by name. Presumably. Still on Android 7 though, so mileage may vary.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

peepsalot posted:

Hi I have a Moto x4, Android one, on project fi and it came with this clock and weather widget on the main screen. Just wondering wtf the circular border progress bar is supposed to represent or is it just meant for random confusion?

Battery charge

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Had that where WiFi was extraordinarily lovely. Finally caught it in the act and it turned out to be a notification asking me whether this access point should be ignored in the future because it had no internet connection. Which then auto-resolved because the ap actually did have internet access, it was just slow as poo poo.

Alternatively, maybe location based reminders you set up in the past? I did some of those and until this day I have no idea where to find them to delete them.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

LastInLine posted:

As far as I know the only place to view reminders in a great big list is on the web version of Inbox. I think if you invoke Assistant on the phone you can view it there too, but that changes so much i can't remember.
Oh yeah, I found it in the 'more' section of the Google app, which is essentially the same thing as through the assistant. So thanks!

I also found some settings there to customize the search widget somewhat. I have it grey and semi-transparent now, which blends in better.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

The G5+ camera app never crashed for me until the update it got in august where it got a different layout, got youtube live integration and suddenly felt the need to show me the tutorial again. And now it does regularly. I'm absolutely convinced they just borked the app and any other camera app available shouldn't be affected.

This doesn't preclude the G5+ camera being a slow rear end piece of poo poo. That has been the case since forever.

Just got the 8.1 update on it yesterday by searching for updates. Plus security updates up to august.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Not sure if it came with the update, but Moto Actions in the Moto app now has media control with the vol up/down buttons and some screenshot taking related garbage that sure wasn't there when I set up the phone initially a year or more ago.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Ola posted:

A phone so amazingly small as to be useless, impractical and ugly.
Phones like these are specifically designed to be crammed up some bodily orifice to be smuggled into prison. If anything, it's still not small enough.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

MeKeV posted:

Up until a week or two ago, I assume it changed with the last update, my Bluetooth headphones volume buttons controlled the volume on my phone.

I think it might have been a setting I once found in developer settings, rather it being the original functionality.

But now it's reverted back to the headphones having their volume control and the phone having separate control. And I can't find a setting anywhere to switch it back the other way.

OG Pixel fyi.
I've honestly had this behavior change between pairing, removing the pairing and pairing again. I think, apart from Android determining what it thinks is the optimal default behavior, it's also a thing negotiated between the devices and sometimes it doesn't take. I'd remove the pairing, reboot both devices and try re-pairing as a first step.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Oh, word?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Anyone a clue what the icon on the left means? It appeared on my mom's Moto G5+ (Oreo). It doesn't seem to be associated with a notification and it's not in the right place for it anyway. It looks Google related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Ah sweet, thanks, I knew I could count on you guys.