Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Reposting because I got missed before:

My Note 4 keeps "losing" my wifi trusted credentials for my work wifi. Every morning when I come in, I have to modify the wifi settings for this network and my CA Certificate and User Certificate will say "(unspecified)". If I try to click the menu to select my certificate, it won't appear in the list. If I go look in the Trusted Credentials screen in system settings, the cert is definitely there! Nevertheless, the only way to get it to work is to reinstall the certificate and reselect it on the wifi settings. It'll then work for the rest of the day, but every morning I do this dance.

I've even tried re-exporting the certificate from my computer to make sure it wasn't a corrupt cert file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

datajosh posted:

You're not rooted are you?

Nope. I deliberately didn't mod phone at all because I was tired of constantly having to tech support myself on my rooted s3.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

My Note 4 keeps "losing" my wifi trusted credentials for my work wifi. Every morning when I come in, I have to modify the wifi settings for this network and my CA Certificate and User Certificate will say "(unspecified)". If I try to click the menu to select my certificate, it won't appear in the list. If I go look in the Trusted Credentials screen in system settings, the cert is definitely there! Nevertheless, the only way to get it to work is to reinstall the certificate and reselect it on the wifi settings. It'll then work for the rest of the day, but every morning I do this dance.

I've even tried re-exporting the certificate from my computer to make sure it wasn't a corrupt cert file.

Trying to prevent this being missed again.

And no, I'm not rooted. No modifications whatsoever.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

And again, since it got buried in benchmarkchat. My googling is totally failing me, because all the variations of "note 4 certificate issue" I can think of end up finding all sorts of "notes on the *** certificate standard" type of pages.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I'm not sure if this is the same issue, but my Note 4 loses my work's wifi username/password credentials as well, but only after i disable/re-enable wifi via the toggle. It stays persistent over a reboot and everything, only when I toggle wifi while at work does it require me to re-enter my login and password info.

I never toggle wifi. This issue just happens every day when I get to work. It's the weirdest thing.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

After some more loving around, it also loses the ability to see the certs after a reboot. I'd tried deleting all my credentials, rebooting, installing the new ones, rebooting, and then connecting to wifi, but at that last step the installed credential didn't appear in the wifi menu, even though they're right there in the trusted credentials security screen. After re-reinstalling them from my email they're working (for now).

This is honestly one of the most obnoxious bugs I've ever had to deal with.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

5436 posted:

I

I use ex-dailer, but its not seamless. The one cool thing is when a phone call comes in it doesn't block your entire screen. It's in this movable-hover window. Very convenient.

Hate to break it to you, but the Note 4's stock dialer does this.

I just got a Note 4 and deliberately decided not to root and do custom stuff after the nightmare that was keeping my S3 going. The way everyone here talks, I was bracing myself to cope with a horrendous experience.

Instead, my only gripe has been that I can't block ads and there's a weird bug where it won't remember my works wifi certificates. There's some janky colors here and there, I guess, if you care about that kind of thing, but everything works so well that I don't really get the hate anymore.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

XIII posted:

I paid for Action Launcher 3 a few days ago when he pushed that big update, but there's still no option to adjust screen padding and I can't seem to figure out how to set a wallpaper and it not come out all wonky, so I'm back to Action Launcher 2 for a while longer.

AL 3 seems to have pulled most of the features I liked in AL2, so I don't see myself upgrading any time soon. He pulled 1-touch, even though the launcher's primary appeal was the availability of the side app drawers from any screen.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

XIII posted:

Yeah, I hate that 1-Swipe got cut, but I can live with using something like Glovebox in its place. I think I'll cave and make the switch once he adds the ability to adjust screen padding (assuming he does). Chris Lacy can really frustrate me. He has genuinely good and interesting ideas, but they never seem to make it past the 80% complete stage.

He's the classic wannabe developer; creating is Fun, maintaining is Not.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Three Olives posted:

It's funny how this is now the prevailing wisdom when it wasn't that long ago that phone makers were very upfront that phones were getting bigger because LTE chipsets and the processors that Android needed not to run like dog poo poo required bigger batteries and the batteries were driving screen size.

I'm not saying it isn't true that consumers don't happen to like big screens but it was more a happy coincidence, they were forced on us and in a world that the carriers weren't trying to push their LTE networks with immature chipsets and scared as poo poo of Apple's growing power might have been different.

That's stupid. Increasing the screen size would increase the drain on the battery too. If that was the reasoning, phones would be getting bigger without the screens themselves upsizing.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Friend of mine wants to skip lollipop on his AT&T Note 4, anyone know how he can aside from just ignoring the notification? :v:

Wow, I assumed my note 4 would never get lollipop. I wonder how long it will take USC to approve the update.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Birb Katter posted:

I'm just playing through the app now and it also wants to farm you FB contacts. You can earn different badges and one is "brand ambassador". This can't bode well.

All I want to do is block private numbers that used to be a stock feature in Android. Why they gotta make it so hard. Might be time to roll back a version.

The thread is going to have this but...

TouchWiz does this :). I've been blocking numbers on my Note 4 left and right as the political calls have started to ramp up this season.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

U.S. Cellular got Lollipop on the S5 before AT&T. How loving hard is it for AT&T to get their poo poo together? =/

They still haven't gotten round to the note 4, however.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The USC Note 4 finally got the Lollipop update last night. It's... not that different. Aside from lockscreen notifications and the color-changing notification shade, I haven't found much of anything that changed. I guess ART is there now. It seems like Samsung's implementation of 4.4 already did most of what they added in AOSP lollipop.

Any other Note 4 owners have cool tips on stuff I'm missing?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ruby idiot railed posted:

Check for Smart Lock.

ART used to be pretty horrible on Touchwiz KitKat because it would recompile 30-40 apps every single time you boot up the phone.

Smart lock is actually not useful to me because all my trusted wifi credentials are wiped automatically if the pin is disabled.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I just got a survey from Rewards asking what year it was and when I pressed 2015 immediately it chastised me for answering too fast and told me to try again. What the hell google.

Also, you can disable the resizing in Touchwiz. Go to the Multi window settings in System Settings and uncheck "Pop-up view shortcut".

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

thebushcommander posted:

I don't have that setting option on my S6, according to most things I've read it's not like old versions of it where you enable and disable it in the menu.

One thing I did do was while in an app I held down the "app switcher" button which enables the side by side view an sizes them equally to half the screen, then I full screened one of them and now when doing the normal long press in the corner of the app it doesn't re-size like it was before. Not really a fix, because I probably just samsunged my samsung.

That's weird. I'm on a note 4 but it just updated to lollipop and I still have that option. Weird that they'd pull that menu option on the S6 flavor but not on the note 4.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thermopyle posted:

Those are bot checks.

What in the hell is the point of bot checking something that sends a survey every couple days at max and pays out cents at a time? I don't doubt that's what they're doing, but it doesn't make much sense.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Because they want truthful answers, and bots can't answer truthfully.

What in trying to say is that I think botters have bigger fish to fry. I can't imagine bots being that big an issue here.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ruby idiot railed posted:

That's the whole point of botting, you aren't personally hitting up poo poo for pennies at a time.

But the Google surveys only come through sporadically. It's not like a website where you can just click "give me another" when you're done. Your giant botnet of android phones would spend most of its time sitting around waiting to be given surveys. I just think there's probably more attractive targets for someone with a huge android botnet then scamming play store credit at a glacial pace.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Has anyone posted about the lollipop easter egg? At least on my note 4, if you go into the phone's about information and mash on the Android version a bunch, a lollipop appears. If you swirl your finger around on it, a flappy bird clone opens with the android guy as the bird.

Also, I can't find any way to change themes on my note 4. Is that a note 3 only thing?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I just factory reset my old GSIII for my bro to replace a lovely freebie ZTE he has, and boy did it remind me how bad Android sucked until even a few months ago. The SIII only got updates to 4.1, and it is just ugly and frustrating to interact with. It's ridiculous what a huge leap forward Lollipop is.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thermopyle posted:

I just factory reset my phone because I was having weird issues that I didn't feel like troubleshooting. Plus it gave me a chance to reevaluate what apps I want to keep installed.

This process again reminded me how poo poo the backup/restore situation is on Android. I'd love to take an image of my phone how it is right after I have it set up just like I want with just the apps I want installed with all of them configured how I want.

It's pretty ridiculous that custom recoveries have been able to do this since before the Froyo days and Google still doesn't have it in the stock recovery. Even if they argue it's an "advanced feature" that might confused normal users, it's not like normal users know how to boot into recovery anyway.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I feel like it's detrimental that Google has fallen into the trap of needing to do big named releases. It sets expectations with consumers that there will be big new features every X months and that things must be this way. It's how software has been forever, but it frequently pushes developers into pushing out things that are half done or don't work well because they need to justify a "big" release. There's movement in the software industry at large to just release patches in bundles as they become available and only release big features when they're really ready, rather than as part of a big version dev cycle. Google even does it with Chrome (somewhat), but on Android they've stuck on having distinct big releases.

Rolling functional stuff into the Google Play Services APK was smart, but they should really abandon the dessert cycle altogether. Especially considering how half-finished Android still is on the whole.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

spincube posted:

Who says there has to be some kind of keystone feature? I'd imagine a dessert codename, going down the alphabet year-on-year, is at least easier to understand than '2.3 -> 4.0 -> 4.1 -> 4.4 -> 5.0' for phone OS release cycles: it doesn't mean peoples' phones will ever be updated, of course, just that it might be a little more obvious exactly how out of date they are

I don't think the versioning should be so promoted to users at all. Your phone should just say "you have updates" when there's updates. The only people who actually care about versioning are big ole dorks like us and we can follow version numbers just fine.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

spincube posted:

Directly selling user data? No. Enabling the sale of .99 battery-life-embiggener apps that need to read your contacts, Wifi connections and your precise location, though?

Which is why they're introducing finer-grained privacy controls. What exactly is your point?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Desk Lamp posted:

This is the most annoying part of Android, there's like 50 different ways to do it and all of them are flawed, but Helium is the most straightforward solution I've found so far. Keeping my fingers crossed that the next major Android version addresses this in some way.

I have to think that forcing apps to specifically request space in the file system from the OS was a step toward doing this. One of the hardest things for Google to overcome in providing comprehensive app backup would have been the fact that apps could poo poo their files anywhere they pleased in the filesystem and Google couldn't be sure that they were really getting everything when they backed up your app. Taking a "back up the whole file system" approach wouldn't work because you might inadvertently overwrite manufacturer-specific data when restoring across different phones. Now that they've forced everything into siloed directories that the OS can actually keep track of per app, it should be much easier to offer this type of backup.

One remaining challenge I can foresee is apps that store configuration or user data in their own cloud service instead of in Google's cloud service. There's not, at present, a great way for Android to detect that an app has data stored on a third-party server somewhere that could be critical for operation, and you can't assume the app will actually intelligently load the needed data on a new device when you first run it. This is probably less of a problem and apps that are this lovely should probably just die, but Google might want to avoid the perception that "backup is broken" if they release it and a bunch of people's garbage apps don't reload their own cloud data correctly.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Super Dude posted:

Snapchat's UI makes no sense on any phone OS.

This is the truth. What are those weird face things they recently added next to your contacts' names? They only appear on some of my contacts and I can't figure out any logic to how they're getting there.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

nerve posted:

Each face means something like best friends, share a best friend, the flame is how many days you've snapped back in forth in a row, Google it for specifics

Lol. Their logic for what qualifies as a best friend is terrible. Why the hell isn't it a user-definable list?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/05/flawed-android-factory-reset-leaves-crypto-and-login-keys-ripe-for-picking/

Looks like there's a major issue with Android's Factory Reset. Basically, it doesn't actually reset anything. Including files, SD cards, login keys, and encryption doesn't help either.

21 Android phones from 2.1 to 4.3 were tested and all have the issue. However, it seems that 4.4 and above do as well according to the comments:

It also looks like all phones (Android and not) will have an issue as, according to the article, flash memory is hard to actually wipe.

Why would people expect a factory reset to be a secure wipe? Factory reset means "restore settings to out-of-the-box" and always has. That's a lovely click bait headline on ars technica's part. Factory resetting my Windows laptop is gonna leave old data all over the drive too for any recovery software to prod at.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Probably because, at least on the Moto X, the factory data reset option says

edit: dammit I typed all this out and then clicked on the link which provided an image of the same thing

It does, in the same way deleting a file on any storage medium erases it. New file system structures are written to the beginning of the storage such that all of the blocks appear free. That screen is telling the user their data will be gone, and to an average phone user it is. The fact that file recovery is possible from an erased but not thoroughly zeroed out storage device isn't news. HDDs work this way, flash works this way, it's always worked this way.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I can't make myself trust Google photos. I know it's overly paranoid, but given things we've heard about NSA analysts passing people's naked selfies around the office, I'm terrified that autobackup would vacuum up some picture of my wife and it's off to be archived by 100 different spy agencies and google employees. I'd be way more comfortable with it if it just threw up a prompt after I took a photo to ask whether it should back it up.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

RVProfootballer posted:

Do you use Dropbox photo backup? One Drive? Or you don't back up photos to any cloud service? Also:

Nope, I use 0 photo backup at all. I manually pull my photos off my phone onto my hard drive via USB cable, which is encrypted.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I was wiping my Galaxy SIII for my brother to use the other day and wondered to myself how I ever interacted with such a laughably small device. If I rest my note 4 in the palm of my hand it doesn't reach the edge of my hand in any dimension.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I've always gone wallet+keys on left, phone on right ever since I worked concert security in highschool. People tend to try to pick back pockets first, right front pocket next, and it's easier to grab a wrist with your dominant hand.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr Executive posted:

I'll give the trial a shot.

I do not have any sort of task manager installed.

I just re-added an exchange activesync account (which caused the stock email app to be re-activated). The stock app seems to work perfectly, but AquaMail still wasn't working. Is it an issue to have two email apps both connecting to the same exchange account?

As for the battery, I never had this issue on previous phones. I've had an s2 and and s4 pushing exchange mail and it was never a real factor in battery usage. I don't know if it's a lollipop thing or something buggy with the s6, but each of the email apps I've tried have easily been the biggest battery user on this phone. They use far more battery than the screen. Either the s6 has a ridiculously efficient screen, the stock lollipop battery usage reporting is way off, or the exchange/push system on lollipop/s6 is terrible.

This is so weird. I'm connected to the same Exchange server you are and haven't had any problems with battery in any email app. I'm on lollipop on a note 4. FWIW, Nine is totally worth it, and at least for me there's no battery drain with accepting push email. If Nine is also a big hog on your S6, you might try factory resetting the phone. Maybe there's something screwy with your install of Lollipop.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr Executive posted:

I think the real issue is that battery usage reporting in Lollipop and/or the s6 is hilariously bad.

I'll buy that. The move from KitKat->Lollipop on my note 4 has a lot of weird 2 steps forward 1 step back kinda changes, so I totally believe Samsung could hose battery usage reporting on a single device for no good reason.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr Executive posted:

I posted about this before, but now I have some more concrete info.

The bluetooth on my s6 is lovely. When I connect to my car or my bluetooth speaker to stream music, it's all choppy for the first 30-60 seconds after the bluetooth connection is established. After that, everything works fine. If I disconnect and reconnect, it is again choppy for the first 30-60 seconds before figuring its poo poo out. If I connect to my wife's car, it's extremely choppy (unlistenable) for the first couple minutes. Then it sorts itself out and mostly works fine (occasional choppiness every 5-10 minutes).

Yesterday I tested out my wife's s6, and bluetooth works perfectly with no stuttering. Both our phones are ~1 month old. If I take my phone into US Cellular, are they just going to make me try factory resetting the phone before they even consider that it might be a hardware problem? If I have to do this, is there any good way to backup settings/etc... for all my apps? I'm not looking forward to resetting and spending a couple hours redownloading/reconfiguring everything.

I bricked my S3 trying to root it, took it back to the US Cellular store on Junction and Mineral Point, and they exchanged it immediately no questions asked. However, I understand that they've been reducing their on-site technical staff this year so you might get more hassle.

Now that I know you're on USC, I'd strongly recommend you check out teamuscellular's forums and chat. They have several insiders over there who are very helpful and are generally going to be more useful than here for USC-related stuff because, frankly, USC is a podunk regional carrier now :(

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr Executive posted:

Yeah, I've been following teamuscellular for a few years. I suppose I could probably make an account and actually post something there.

I'm either going to have to reset my phone and set everything back up, or they'll give me a new phone and I'll need to set everything back up. I might as well just do it myself first so I don't have to deal with USC if I don't need to. So, is there any good way to backup/restore my settings after a system reset? I would think there would be a good way to do this since factory resetting seems to be one of the first troubleshooting techniques for a ton of problems.

You can try Helium, but it might not get everything. If you're rooted, you can make an image of your storage or use titanium backup. Sadly, Google hasn't really provided a comprehensive backup and restore method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr Executive posted:

Update on my US Cellular S6 bluetooth issues. After doing a factory reset, I think the ~30s of bluetooth stuttering is fixed. I tested in my car a couple times this morning and music played perfectly fine immediately after connecting. I got my phone about 5 weeks ago (5.0) and upgraded to 5.1 about 3 weeks ago. I never did a reset after upgrading to 5.1.

What'd you end up doing as far as saving as much configuration as you could? My Note 4 has a similar issue where bluetooth audio will intermittently drop for a second or two, then play back really fast until it "catches up".