Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Just turned on ART and holy poo poo this is smooth. I dunno if it's any faster at all, but most of the stuttering that I run into is just gone now. Is there any reason not to use it other than certain incompatible apps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Variable_H posted:

Holy poo poo, did that guy actually just use his wife's dead dad as a way to review a nexus phone?

Yeah what the gently caress

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
*sad piano notes* "Although I was in the right place, doing the right things, work began to pile up, issues and emergencies had to be dealt with."

"Luckily I had my Nexus at my side." *somber strings kick in*

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

LastInLine posted:

For all you N4 users with the battery issues, it's been two years, it's time to upgrade. You can open it up and change the battery if you want (might as well replace the USB daughterboard while you're at it) but really, why would you? It's old, lacks LTE, and is on the far end of support.

Maybe it's time to move on.

Wait, battery degradation is still that severe?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Maybe it's just me, but a phone with a life expectancy of only 2 years seems pretty short!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

ilkhan posted:

That phone has as much ram as the ultra books we give our employees. WTF.

Gotta multitask all those endless runners somehow man

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

bull3964 posted:

Twist to picture is awesome and I'll cut anyone who says otherwise.

Agreed, it's the one motion gimmick that I actually kinda like.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Same deal with my Nexus 7, yeah.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Maker Of Shoes posted:

1200 bucks for what amounts to a phone without a cellular antenna is insane to me but yeah, music junkies toss gobs of money at "high end" stuff like its going out of style.

It has a high quality DAC, which is the major draw. It's still overpriced as hell though.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

IuniusBrutus posted:

So, I got my Moto X (2013), and this phone is great. 720p is totally acceptable for a screen this size, the battery life is tolerable (a bit better than my Nexus 5), and the Motorola specific software additions are fantastic. I already use Google Calendar to schedule all of my stuff, so Moto assist does a great job with silencing my phone for busy times, and the driving additions are great, too. Active display seems to be better in the Motorola implementation rather than the stock Android 5.0 form. Always listening works fine too, though I hope Motorola implements 5.0s baked in always listening (hahahahaha). Size is great - could probably stand to be a bit bigger, so when this kicks the can I'll move to a 2014 version.

My only concern is that there is some minor UI lag, and app lag (mostly when scrolling through, say, Awful, G+, Chrome, etc). I know this was pretty much the case when the phone came out as well, and it doesn't bother me at all. I'm more worried that it will become unusable-slow in short order - I don't expect it to last forever, but I hope to get a year out of it or so.

Turn on ART, I found it eliminated a lot of the lag/jank I was finding.

Also I don't know how I'm going to use a phone without active display now. I understand that ambient display works well enough, but it doesn't look nearly as responsive.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Variable_H posted:

I really don't get the removable battery thing. It's like "hey, we know the battery life is poo poo, so have another!" Seems to me that making a built in one that lasts a decent amount of time is better than giving you the option to swap out inferior ones.

And the cloud stuff actually works pretty well.

Apparently most batteries seriously degrade after 2 years or so, so having the option to replace it seems pretty nice.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Just found out my Moto X has hella feedback with certain earbuds, which is a huge bummer.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Here's my post: Maybe don't update to lollipop if every other person is having major issues and you're not able to rollback to kitkat.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Sega Genesis posted:

A $350 OPO is 16 GB, isn't it? Are you a Sega Genesis?

It's 64GB at $350. Either way he shouldn't get one.

If you care about good photos enough to the point of getting a 1020 your options are basically a Note 4 or an iPhone 5s/6.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
For what it's worth the specs on the X are only a concern if you are really sensitive to a tiny bit of jank in certain situations. Otherwise the device flies.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

bull3964 posted:

I'm just going to laugh if they finally reign in Touchwiz only to switch exclusively to exynos. I mean, it's not as bad as a Nvidia SoC. I'm just exceedingly wary of anything other than a Qualcomm SoC at this point in time.

That seems weird, considering how laughably bad Adreno still is.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

bull3964 posted:

Those hoping that Moto will revisit the 2013 X form factor shouldn't hold their breath.

With the changes made this year, Motorola has sold 118% more phones last quarter than a year ago.

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-shipped-10-million-phones-last-quarter-118-percent-year-ago

Big phones sell.

Yeah, maybe 5% of that was the X

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I'm kinda surprised they don't make LCD variants just for showfloor stuff.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Nah, it's an awesome phone.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I'm the social media guru that needs 100 Mbps upstream for all these selfies

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Or you could be a 4K pioneer!

e: oh god we're going to get a 4K phone this year aren't we

Hace fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 18, 2015

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="441722972"]
People with a Moto Keylink: how has it been working for you? My Cobra Tag finally died.

It works poorly with pockets, after a while the removable cap loses it's tightness and would turn on and off endlessly. If they made a new one with a non-removable battery I'd probably get it.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-Factory-Unlocked-Warranty/dp/B00OTZUUP2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424286595&sr=8-1&keywords=moto+x+1053

Pretty sure anything that's handled by Amazon is safe

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
The good news is that there is very little 4K video to display

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

I said come in! posted:

Maybe a couple minutes at most though. Not an entire extra day like the click-bait heavy Android fansites will claim while receiving free phones from manufacturers.

5.0.2 has absolutely destroyed the battery in my Nexus 7, for what it's worth

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Moto E 4G announced with SD410, Moto Display and Lollipop out of the box.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/02/25/moto-e-4g-lte-specs-official/

Shame about the display, 720p at 5.1" :(

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Oop yeah totally misread that. Either way going below 300ppi still kinda hurts, though 245 isn't terrible or anything.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Active Display is a godsend on my Moto X '13, I can't believe anyone turns it off.

Still haven't used touchless control, but I'm going to struggle with a device that doesn't use Active Display.

Touchless is good for just looking up things real quickly, especially if you're terrible at typing quickly like me.

And yeah active display owns super hard and I'll probably never use another phone that doesn't have that.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
FYI don't bring your N7 to lollipop unless you want terrible standby battery life and overall worse SoT

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

zer0spunk posted:

countdown to lawsuit #2 starts....now..

No USB Type-C?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Man I really hope that we don't have to wait until the next Nexus for that to finally starts getting implemented

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
But it's got a 577ppi display!!! So many pixels!!!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I mean yeah there's totally stagnation going on right, but the answer isn't offering stock android because that would only "wow" tech blogs and forums posters.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Ragingsheep posted:

All reports are that the m9's 20mp camera is worse than the rear camera on the m8

But the megapixels!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Endless Mike posted:

*runs in*

AHEM without an SD card and removable battery how can I be expected to watch 4 hours of animes every day on the bus?

Personally as a fellow Pure Android Lover I think it makes sense to still have sd cards on cheaper phones k thanks for reading

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmm, there's rumors going around that LG is going to make another Nexus. If so, hope it's another rather minimalist design a la N5.

I can't wait for the new Nexus 7

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

bull3964 posted:

Man, if they get a new Nexus 7 out there with a 1440 x 2560 screen, 3gb RAM, wireless charging, and a not-Nvidia SoC, I will drop kick my N9 so hard it will reach orbit.

It's going to have all that with an Intel Inside sticker on the box

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

LastInLine posted:

100% correct.

Well the memory leak and the terrible standby times

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

RZA Encryption posted:

It takes me a lot longer than 10 minutes to sign in to all of my 2fa accounts.

The real solution is to just get a new phone. Seriously, just upgrade yearly. Its like the thing you use the most in your life, it should always be as good as it can be.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

RZA Encryption posted:

Why would you settle for anything less than the best for something that gets so much use?

diminishing returns and controlled spending habits