Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Skarsnik posted:

My trusty n5 has finally bitten the dust, instant random shutdowns galore

Picked up a moto g for 80 quid from argos to last me till the new n5 comes out

:hellyeah:

"finally"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Battery life is worse, but that's Lollipop in general I guess

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

FAUXTON posted:

That's basically the side effect of progress though, optimization for aging hardware can only go so far and the reference point shifts pretty fast in mobile phones. It's good that the performance has kept up even if it's translating into higher battery use (likely due to more intensive processor usage).

Sounds more like inefficiency but w/e. What is so improved in Lollipop's idle state that it causes so much battery drain?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

FogHelmut posted:

Sorry it's gonna suck now.

Works great on mine honestly

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
wrong thread

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

FunOne posted:

If only that kind of information was listed in the specs of the device.

The 5X has one and it's not on the google play spec sheet

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Marshmallow running like a dream on my 2013 N7

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Question about the Moto G 2015, does it have any issues with video playback or too many apps being open with the 2GB version? I don't mind the low performance if it can just do stuff like run youtube videos @ 60fps without stutters.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

bull3964 posted:

Quick charging on USB C is nice, but it's still smoked by Quick Charge 2.0.

My Nexus 5x (2700mAh) was put on charge with 60% left while my Moto X Pure (3000mAh) was put on charge at the same time with only 28% left. Moto X Pure beat the Nexus to full by 2 minutes despite the larger battery at a higher state of discharge.

What's nice is they don't have to be exclusive. I fully expect OEMs to continue licensing Quick Charge from Qualcomm even over USB C for their flagships, they'll just be able to charge faster on normal high amp chargers.

I really really doubt that most major manufacturers are going to pass on USB C from this point on

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

bull3964 posted:

I didn't say that, I said the opposite in fact. The point is USB C's native charging rates aren't going to be a replacement for Quick Charge. Quick Charge works just fine over USB C, so I fully expect OEMs to continue using it even after they switch to USB C.

Ah, misunderstood you

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Ninkobei posted:

Does anyone know much about the 1 plus 2 phone? Co worker pointed me onto it and besides the plain 1080p screen I can't seem to find anything wrong with getting one. Other than it's a completely unheard of brand, that is

Don't

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

DemonMage posted:

What's the obsession with using the phone one handed all the time? I mean most of the time you should be able to regardless, but why is it a big deal to be able to type one handed, or hitting a less frequently used button in the far corner? I know there are some apps that are just poorly designed and have frequently used buttons in the far corner, but I don't run into too many of those.

I get personal preference and all that, but it just seems a huge concern for some people to be able to one hand everything and I don't get the use case really beyond that.

Casual use. One-handing a phone makes it easier to just quickly pull out and check on something.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, but I think it's ugly and it's still too big.

As someone who had a Moto X 2013 (RIP :( ), the 5X is totally doable one handed, but it is still ugly and has bad build quality.

Also the speaker is a level beyond bad.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Has the power button on 5x gotten really terrible over time for anyone else

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

bull3964 posted:

Wouldn't know, never touch it. Much like the power button on my Moto X, there's not much reason to press it ever. On the Moto X, it's because of active display, on the 5x, it's because of the fingerprint sensor.

Didn't realize I could easily check my notifications, time, and activate my camera solely with my fingerprint sensor. Are you saying that it's not an issue or that you're willing to overlook it?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

XIII posted:

My favorite version of Android, even over stock, is Moto's "mostly stock, but with a couple nifty tweaks". Fight me.

It's so good that Android just lifted cool features from Moto phones!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

RZA Encryption posted:

Ok whatever I guess I'll get back to consuming some non-local media.

I'm part of a plan with the rest of my family, I can only realistically afford to use up a gig a month!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

LastInLine posted:

I barely "consume media" and I'd be hard pressed to use less than 1GB in a month. Of course I have unlimited data so I neither care about not check my data consumption, but why even buy a smartphone if you're just going use it on a plan that essentially makes it useless?

I listen to a lot of music and podcasts, so I can easily go over 1GB.

I also wish I could I could freely afford data plans that I could just let waste like you do, but that's not an option for me.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

LastInLine posted:

I'm not saying you have to pay for unlimited but Cricket gives you 5GB for $45. My unlimited everything on T-Mobile is $50 (per person for two people). Isn't Fi $15+$10/GB? I don't think I could get by on 1GB/m, especially when way more is so affordable.

It's not the end of the world when a lot of podcast apps give you functionality to auto delete episodes you've already listened to and you keep most of your flavor of the month music at the ready

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Must be nice!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I am curious why people always complain about 16GB options if nobody uses onboard storage that much though

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Turdsdown Tom posted:

has anyone been getting terrible audio quality with their Pixel 2's dongle? trying to figure out if mine maybe came out junk. with my old G5, I used to bring it into the studio and just run it through the patchbay to do critical listening. first try with the new Pixel here and the audio sounds like it was bitcrushed to hell, like I'm listening to MP3 128. I'm inclined to think it's just the dongle because I was reading that the Pixel 2's dongle apparently rates pretty highly. maybe there's a setting or a proper way to use it I'm not getting?

I already carry around a fuckton of tiny tech gadgets and accessories, so having to now carry a flash drive full of wave files isn't necessarily a hard ask, it was just convenient to run stuff from my phone before

Nah, the DAC is supposed to be pretty good, it's been good to me

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

PerrineClostermann posted:

I'm pretty sure Minecraft did the notch first

Proof the notch was already bad

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Tbf the iphone x made that functional

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I love notches

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
not a fan of the new android auto, it's basically a copy of carplay where I have to go through an extra screen to get to anything now

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

LastInLine posted:

The new AA sucks.

it's real bad. still perfectly usable, but just a downgrade overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
btw if you want a car cable that has a deathgrip on your phone, get the anker powerline +