Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Does anyone have spare 64GB OPO invites left? I could use one :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

No invites required on Tuesdays now

But do they have enough to sell on Tuesdays? Well I guess one can always try.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Reverse Centaur posted:

The strange thing is the Nexus 6 seems to handle every update just fine. It's like they tested it on that only and said "good to go."

Same goes with Nexus 10. Really glad it's made by Samsung, since they know their hardware.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Welp seems IKEA's qi chargers are already available in Finland. Went to pick up the single NORDMÄRKE qi charger, altough I don't even have my qi compatible phone yet :v:

They have pretty cool ideas with the qi charger furniture, and chargers which can be installed inside furniture like tabletops. Wouldn't mind some qi chargers on local bar's counter.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

who cares if there's more than one app for the same thing. Just use the one that you like and ignore or disable if possible the rest.

One girl in our class got a S6 and kept sweating that her photos are being uploaded to the cloud and to G+ and she'll accidentally share all her nudes to everyone with just 2 clicks. After watching her being nervous and talking about it to everyone for a whole week, I pointed out that the "Photos" app is just an another program to display her photos, the phone comes with many apps which do the same drat thing. Google and Samsung make apps for the same purpose, they just have different names. It is highly unlikely you share everything accidentally. Also she had the cloud backup disabled anyways.

Multiple apps really confuse people, they should just get an Iphone. At least her laugh was worth it when she realized how silly she had been :v:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

Maybe nudes were never mentioned and he just doesn't have a clear understanding of how to talk about women??

I was just exaggerating about the possible contents of her photos and why she cared so much if she accidentally posted some of them online. Honestly I have no idea and the only reason I said something because I didn't want to hear about the issue again.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I've thought about getting an S6 for quite a while. Now I've started seeing literal dreams of me taking photos and selfies with an S6 and caressing its smooth aluminium body. Marketing has done its job :negative:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Magog posted:

I wish my phone was ethereal. :sigh:

I wish my imaginary girlfriends weren't :sigh:

Screw menu buttons though. Settings are a lot easier to find and access without. Before you had to mash the menu button in every loving screen in case you had some options there, which often differed from screen to screen.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I thought S6 mini looked really promising according to random internet rumors. Basically like S6, but smaller and with less ridiculous resolution. Z3 compact has same size and res display and no one complained about that. The Snapdragon 808 is the same as in G4. 2GB ram should be enough. Hopefully the build is as nice as in S6.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So Samsung S6 Active looks pretty good specs-wise, and despite looking awful, I'm seriously considering buying one. Basically it should be an S6 in a less fragile package and an extra 1000mAh battery capacity to last through a day easily. Am I missing anything here?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have an original three year old Galaxy Note and it's a pretty durable phone. It looks really beaten up because I somehow end up dropping my phones all the time. My earlier Nokias lasted well too, and I'm afraid to buy these aluminium & glass phones because I'd surely break them.

Some guy dropped the S6 Active a few times and seems it held up the abuse quite well: https://youtu.be/NCi2NNYXxKQ?t=3m12s

I don't really need the water resistance but I guess it's nice, just in case. No idea about software. Samsung may or may not update it, but not getting Android M would be really lovely.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

As long as it's impact resistant, I'll be fine. Dropped all my phones so many times to concerete and whatnot, S6 surely would shatter to pieces in no time since it's made of unusable materials.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The S6 is sold at a pretty good price in Europe too now, 530€. A lot better than the 700€ they still ask here in barely-europe, Finland.

Now if they managed to finally start selling the S6 Active here too. I don't want to grip tape my phone and when looking at my plastic phones after a few years, the glass&aluminium wouldn't last a week.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Is there any way to adjust the volume step of headphones? Currently it feels like it's something like 9-12dB while 1.5-3dB would be better. When I'm trying to listen to music it's either very quiet or, with next step, too loving loud. This is with a rooted GT-N7000 but basically I have had the same problem with all digitally controlled amps, unless it's a real home theater amp with 0.5dB steps.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

LastInLine posted:

I'm not going to promise you anything but maybe. Have you looked around to see if there's an Xposed module that can handle this? It was definitely a thing that used to happen back in the custom ROM days but I can't imagine you're looking to go that far for this.

I'm actually running CM12.1 based Nightowl ROM because Samsung's Android updates stopped at 4.1.2. There has been so many security issues afterwards so I had to upgrade to a safer version. 5.1.1 runs "pretty well" despite my phone having only 1GB of ram. I need to look at it if there's some app or perhaps a config file I could edit to provide finer-grained volume adjustment.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Zom Aur posted:

When it comes to samsungs, at least back in the s2 days, it used a PIT instead of a "regular" partition table. The way you repartitioned the s2 was by uploading a new PIT-file.

If you used a bad PIT-file or hosed up the proportions, you bricked it.

You could make your own PIT, but you had to follow certain rules regarding the size of the partitions, so just any size wasn't good enough. This was a couple of years ago, so I might be misremembering the details, but it really is needlessly complicated for some devices. Even the cyanogenmod mods told me to buy a new device rather than mess around with this stuff.

Heh, I just repartitioned my Note last week with a PIT file. I did not know about the hazards, not that the phone is worth anything these days. 6GB for apps is a godsend, since with stock 2GB you basically couldn't even update your apps.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Zom Aur posted:

Yeah, I was in the same boat, but I got a new phone instead and gave the s2 to a friend.

I'd buy a S6 Active since I assume it would be at least as durable as my plastic Note, but Samsung doesn't sell it yet in Europe.

quote:

Thankfully, this won't be a problem on more current devices. Anything that didn't originally have a version before ICS won't have a separate data/app partition.

It would be interesting to hear more about this design decision. I've always formatted my drives to one partition, so why they thought several partitions in a phone with very limited capacity might be a good idea?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Does anyone have experience with drop leg pouches/holsters for huge phones and assorted stuff? I work in a large hospital and the work suits they issue us suck. I've dropped my phone like 10 times already during last 3 weeks. The worst part is that the trousers have no pockets!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

BottleKnight posted:

e: that notification LED in the speaker grill of the 5X is classy.

It needs to move from left to right and the phone needs a KITT voice pack.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Mogomra posted:

I'm not up for an upgrade, but the Nexus 6P looks pretty good. What the gently caress is wrong with me? Why would I even hypothetically consider such a big dumb phone? It's only half an inch larger than my current phone.

This is how big phone makers win. Slowly. :negative:

Four years ago when I bought my Galaxy Note with its ginormous 5,3" display people despised me and laughed at me. Who would in their right mind use such a large phone? You couldn't even put it in your pocket! Nowdays it's an average sized phone and larger phones are being released all the time. Nexus 6 and 6P dwarf my OG Note :(

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Cable posted:

I spent months waiting for the 5X to be announced knowing it would be the phone I want to buy, and then they made the price in Europe totally stupid and uncompetitive (480 EUR..., which is what a new Galaxy S6 runs for new and unlocked on Amazon).

Really, so cheap? It's 580€ in Finland, more expensive than a S6.

Edit: I remembered wrong and actually it is "only" 480. Time to wait for discounts.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 24, 2015

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I wish I could run Android on 6S. Decent, customizable os with god tier hardware. But can't have it both ways...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Personally I like microusb because I already have the chargers and they are very common everywhere. I charge my devices overnight so I don't care about the charging speed. In fact it's better for the battery to charge it slower.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Also Samsung

Some people consider this a good feature over some alternative features like OPO or HTC.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Look, lg g5 appears, just as in the leaks: 2800mAh removable battery, clicky power button/fingerprint sensor, sd card slot, IR blaster, and some weird accessories: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/02/lg-g5-hands-on-lg-may-have-made-the-most-innovative-phone-of-mwc/

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Idk it actually seems really nice, especially for an android. I'd definitely consider getting one to play with while waiting for the iPhone 7 to come out.

It doesn't seem to be missing anything other than quick charging. I'm interested in seeing how the new hardware on G5 and S7 compare to iphone, and if Samsung has managed to fix the multitasking issues. What's the point of 4GB ram if you need to look at loading screens all the time? A windows 10 PC can run a couple of apps no problem with the same amount of ram.

Also that wide angle lens is insane. It's like 10mm equivalent or something like that on a fullframe camera.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 21, 2016

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Samsung reintroduced sd slot in S7, and they also made the phone thicker to fit in a larger battery: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10056/hands-on-with-the-samsung-galaxy-s7-and-s7-edge That's something.

I wonder how the 820 and Eyynos 8 differ in CPU and storage performance. Iphone's storage is way, way faster than anything else, and it would look better if LG and Samsung weren't so much behind.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Rastor posted:

Interesting development: Both the LG G5 and the Samsung Galaxy S7 will have a MicroSD slot. Both phones will ship with Marshmallow. Both phones WILL NOT support adoptable storage.

Adoptable storage sounds like RAID0 and I wouldn't want that on my phone. The flash memory and storage solutions used already are quite bad, no need to introduce more reliability and data loss issues.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I still don't understand how storage prices have not come down. My GNote from 2011 has 16GB, and a 128GB ssd cost the same as 1TB ssd these days. But phones still have lovely and small storage, what's the deal? I assumed 128GB would be standard nowdays.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Rastor posted:

So what is there, really, to complain about in TouchWiz? Making quick controls available after a single swipe down instead of two?

First of all, let's admit that these users are already trained. Nexus phones have never done huge sales numbers and Moto has also failed to achieve massive success. Did the Moto X Pure(Style) even get into US carrier stores? For most Android users their previous phone was a Samsung or LG. That means they are already trained that this is where the quick settings are located. If you hide them behind a second swipe (or two-fingered swipe), is that discoverable? It may be visually cleaner, but -- for the average user -- is it better enough to be worth re-training them?

People learned to push buttons instead of rotating a dial. If the improvement is worth it, people will learn the new way. Now follows the tricky question: is the double swipe an improvement?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Nexus phones and tablets have been riddled with serious software and hardware issues since GNex and/or they're overly huge. Software updates only wouldn't make me buy a Nexus, the hardware must be good in the long run. Samsung is the only Android company which makes good and reliable hardware, and when the phone runs out of warranty and software support ends, there's lots of great roms you can use.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So I drove by a local store and took a good look at S7 and Edge. Side by side with S6 they look like very incremental improvemens, but they felt so nice. I nearly bought a black S7 for its camera and speed, but they had none in stock :/

Anyways, is there any way to combine nice looks and durability? My Note has fallen from 1-1,5m so many times, I've fastballed it past my couch/bed etc. and it just has some paint missing from the edges. I assume S7 would just break horribly when I eventually drop it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

Bought it years ago but it can't do a semi-transparent notification bar on this phone.

It can do it on a Galaxy Note, and that's from 2011. There can't be any tech reason for not doing something so basic any old pc could do it over 20 years ago.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well they probably can't test all the cases so they disable it just in case to reduce bad reviews and support tickets.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Tunga posted:

On the other hand it's an absolutely gorgeous device and ridiculously good value compared to the Nexus 9 which is the same price and hot garbage.

The keyboard is an expensive gimmick which I don't really need but it makes a nice stand and cover. Not worth £120 but the magnet setup is very nicely designed.

I'm still using Nexus 10 and I wish I could pay 400€ for a Pixel C. But I live in Finland so they don't sell it, and a 32GB version Germany is 600€ :negative:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 10, 2016

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

vyst posted:

Flash is dead fyi.

More like undead. Not dead enough.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, you can definitely tell something is good when they have to give you a bunch of extra stuff just to get you to buy it.

I'd rather take a direct discount and pay 400-500€ instead of 700€ and all that crap. Please remove the S-apps while at it to bring the price even lower.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Is there any way to fix scrolling in Android? When I scroll content everything tilts a few degrees and it looks highly disturbing.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh, what are you talking about?

With my Nexus 10, whenever I scroll anything, like menus, web pages, even the task switcher, the scrolling animation is not straight. All the contents tilt a few degrees and it looks super weird, when stuff is supposed to move straight up or down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I know what's being talked about. Scrolling deforms what's being scrolled like it's this slightly elastic sheet. Nothing remains square. This has been going on forever.

I've seen it the most on my Nexus devices, my MXP seems mostly free of the issue though I had noticed it on my droid turbo previously.

So I assume this is simply a feature and you can't really do anything to get rid of it. Thanks for the response, at least I know I'm not just imagining it :v: