Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Hadlock posted:

I probably type two pages a week in email on my blackberry. Physical keyboard is greatly desired.

If you decide to get a second phone for this then the BlackBerry Classic is $450 on RIM's site.

Its considerably more expensive than a Moto E or Moto G, but if you value the physical keyboard then it could be worth the extra cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I read it more as they just don't want to supply the phone and plan for it anymore, but yeah that is a point.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Physical keyboards are much nicer than digital ones. That said, they aren't worth the compromises we're forced into to have them.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

RVProfootballer posted:

No, I just ignored them because that's even sillier than thinking BBM is awesome

I never really understood the BBM draw. Only person I know that ever actually used it only did so because they were afraid the cishet government was going to read their gay texts and put them in gay prison or something.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Mmmm, that M9 gets TOASTY.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/16/you-may-need-to-buy-oven-mitts-with-your-htc-one-m9/

Benchmark peaked it out at 130 F. On the outside...

Welp, there goes that idea. Maybe Sony will make something appealing.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

piggybacking off of people like Marques Brownlee (MKBHD) and Erica the Tech Nerd.

Am I the only one who finds Marques Brownlee to be an insufferable shithead? Same for that Aaron kid he's buddies with.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Oh, haha, the other kids name is Austin. And MKBHD comes off to me as some super rich-as-gently caress college kid who blows all kinds of money on doing "tech reviews" where the end result of every one is that it's a pretty good phone!

There was also that time he pointed his camera at a G3's screen to show 1440p at 500-something ppi was better than 1080p at like 400-something ppi, despite human eyes not being able to actually discern the difference at an operating distance.

I also don't need the kid to "explain" what kindles are or whatever he does in those explains videos.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SB35 posted:

I guess he's making money now but back then was he spending his "hard earned allowance" on all this poo poo or what?

Yeah, that's what I want to know. He never says if he's purchased the devices or if they're being given to him by OEMs or what. I guess part of it is envy for having the kind of expendable income he must have as a college student, but at the same time I can't help but wonder if some of the reviews he does aren't really honest.

Same goes for Erica, but at least she makes incredibly long and in depth videos.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ruby idiot railed posted:

For reference, that hands-on video of the new Macbook he posted has 1.2m views. That's way more than enough Youtube ad revenue to buy himself one of those. And that's just one (relatively popular) video. His explanation of USB-C has 800k views and that's probably worth close to $1000.

Maintaining yourself as a successful Youtube celebrity is worth a loving TON of money.

e: $12k from a 5 minute video explaining the iPhone 6's screen glass

Jesus Christ....all this really makes me think of is how awful I'd be at making these kinds of videos, even if I had the money.

"Yeah, uhh. It's got a higher pixel density, but really it's a piece of poo poo and you shouldn't buy it."

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Skeezy posted:

Seems like embargo's are up because Engadget, The Verge, and a bunch of other places have reviews up.

Looks to be a very incremental update if you had an M8. According to Verge, the camera is sometimes worse than the M8.

Did the Verge rate it 9/10 just because it's the M9, like they did with their Windows 8.1 review?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Ugh I am about to leave the country for 2 weeks and they're pushing out 5.1 for the X finally? I just love upgrading the OS on my devices a week before I will be relying on them to get me around a crowded city. Apparently to turn off OTA updates, you have to root the device?

Did it force the update or can you hold off on it?
I remember Apple updating the iPhone and iPad, a few years back, right as I was going on a trip a few thousand miles from home, both operated terribly the entire time I was gone.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

So apparently with the M9 being not good/somewhat worse than the M8, what is the suggested go-to android phone available from t-mobile? I like my G3, but the cracks it's formed in it's bezels are becoming increasingly worrying, and both LG and T-Mobile won't acknowledge its a known issue despite it apparently being kind of widespread.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I am going to rack up 21,000 physical air miles in the first half of April in a whole different part of the world than I usually go. I think you get the upgrade nag screen, but that was a while ago, I've never had to upgrade my 2013 X since it came out and I know Motorola does things a bit differently. I'm tempted to root it now just to avoid the whole headache. 4.4.4 runs really fast and reliably, and upgrading to 5.0.1 from 4.4.4 just trashed my G so I am extra paranoid.

According to this page:

quote:

You can easily freeze the OTA update or the FOTA update for Motorola mobile phones by going to this location in the phone \etc\security and then renaming the otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak. Till now there are no apps for disabling the OTA notification in android mobile phones. You will need to do it manually in your Moto X.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Ragingsheep posted:

Dare I suggest wait for the Samsungs?

I've used two Samsung phones before, a Galaxy S4 and a Note 3, both started getting laggy and crashy on me, the Note did so during a time I absolutely needed the phone to work. I also loathe touchwiz, so they could make the greatest phone man has ever known and I wouldn't purchase one.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

New Leaf posted:

This is one of those "either they pay for us to get out of our contract or we suffer until Jan 2016" things unfortunately, and I doubt Cricket has that sort of promotion running. :(

T-Mobile will pay for any kind of termination fees or phone installment charges you have left if you switch to them. Basically, they will pay you to switch to them.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

New Leaf posted:

How does it work? Sprint's you have to pay the fees out of pocket, then sign up for Sprint and stay in good standing for 45 days, then they pay you back with Visa prepaid cards.

You trade in your current phone, port number in. When you get your bill with the ETFs and/or remaining balance of your device, take it to T-Mobile, and they cut you a check or issue prepaid cards for the amount your fees were up to like $650 per line. This is post paid Simple Choice plans though, prepaid need not apply for this stuff.

E: you can trade in any phone you want, even some junker that's been sitting in a drawer for years.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

So moral of the story is LG uses low(er) quality plastic in their products.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

I have a similar story except it's my initials - I signed up for the outlook.com email when they re-launched it and surprisingly got my initials, three letters, @outlook.com. Some dumpy old CNA from like Nevada or something signed up for match.com using that email, someone from Thailand linked their drat Facebook to it, I get poo poo from monster.com (is this 1998? I thought they went under) for someone else, so on and so forth. Initials aren't as specific as full names but do these people not realize when they aren't getting the emails from the poo poo they signed up for? I managed to get the CNA's dating site account closed, but I don't even know where to start with some of the others. Thankfully I don't even use outlook since it didn't live up to the hype but god drat it's depressing to know people out there are that drat oblivious.

I received realty closing paperwork that had to be signed and returned on a very narrow deadline for someone with the same last name as me once. I've also received apple store receipts and numerous other things all for people with my same last name. It's sad.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Please tell me about how and why a firewall on a telephone is a good idea.

Well, you see, my android telephone is really more like a computer in that

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Skeezy posted:

What phone did you have again?

They had/have a gpe moto g.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Does anyone else in this thread have a G3 on T-Mobile? 5.0.1 was supposed to drop today, but from what I've seen, no one has received the ota.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

actionjackson posted:

Okay, rooted my device, then placed it into a tub of 42.1 degree water for 15 seconds, put it in the toaster to dry, what is the next step help

To enable inductive charging, you'll need to put it in a microwave for 20 minutes.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

G3 finally got the 5.0.1 update on T-Mobile today, I like basically everything about the update except that the Google music app is now slow. Music plays at the right speed, but there is lag when scrolling around while music is playing. Anything I could do to reset that?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Just leave it on. It uses more power to toggle on and off than to just leave it constantly running.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="444277223"]
Perhaps you have dandruff blocking the microphone?

:pusheen:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Just get the Z3, you should be happy with it. Better camera than the X, and the M9 is apparently a piece of hot dog-poo poo, so I'd avoid it.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Reggie Died posted:

Any case recommendations?

I generally use phones caseless, but I since I got a G3 I've become pretty partial to TPU cases. You might try one of these:
Z3 Tough Case
TUDIA Ultra Slim LITE TPU Bumper

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

hotsauce posted:

It would work fine on T-Mobile if you are in an area that's saturated with T-Mo LTE. It's locked to AT&T out of the box, but since it's paid in full (not financed) just submit an unlock request. AT&T is surprisingly lenient about unlocking (unlike T-Mo). You don't even have to be a customer for them to unlock, although there is no guarantee.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

Note that this means you won't get T-Mobile LTE on the phone, just 3G bands (or I guess they call it 4G on their network).

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

hotsauce posted:

No, you will get LTE just fine. Just no WiFi calling. If you are in a T-Mobile LTE area, the towers have been refarmed to support AT&T's LTE band, so you get LTE on T-Mobile.

At least every unlocked AT&T phone I've used on T-Mobile ($30 nerd play around plan) got LTE just fine. YMMV.

I stand corrected. I'm used to the old days when everyone had their own completely different bands because gently caress you.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

G4 announcement in a few hours. Some leaked images seem to indicate it's going to be pretty drat ugly.

SkySteak posted:

In light of this are the LG G3s overheating and software update issues a bit exaggerated or are they constant, serious problems?

I had no software update issues other than it taking a week for me to receive the update. Mine's also never overheated, but it's gotten incredibly hot to where it was uncomfortable to hold. It also force closed out of the camera app at one point, I'm assuming due to heat, while I was trying to record a speech.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Pictures taken with the G4 look amazing, assuming they haven't been retouched. Not sure I want to keep putting up with LG's UI in order to upgrade though. And while I like the leather backs, the stitching down the middle kills it for me.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

incoherent posted:

Hopefully the 2015 moto x will be the same size and have it **fingers crossed**

If it uses the snapdragon 810, like its reported it will, hopefully they'll have figured out the overheating thing by then.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I know the G3 doesn't support Quick Charge, but does LG have their own form of rapid charging or anything? Using even the standard charger on this thing is brutally slow sometimes.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Three Olives posted:

Mine charges decently quickly, are you using a 2amp charger? Most old chargers will charge brutally slow.

Charger brick says its a 1.8 amp charger and I'm using the LG provided cable. Sometimes it charges relatively fast, other times it seems it takes substantially longer. I'm at 27% right now, and its saying it'll take hours to get to 100%.

Edit: It finally said 3 hours to 100%.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 7, 2015

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Download Ampere and see how fast it's actually charging. Your cable or brick might not be performing as expected.

I'm guessing this is less than optimal. Not entirely sure how to read this.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

An Apple iPad 10 watt charger is doing a much better job according to Ampere. Seems like an Amazon Kindle USB cable is doing better than the included LG cable was also. Maybe I just need to buy a new charger and cable? :shrug:

Edit: Even this one is dropping to 10 mA and just sitting there though. Is this possibly a phone defect?

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 8, 2015

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Haha, nevermind, the reason it's only charging at a rate of 10 mA is because it's discharging at like 4500 mA for some loving reason.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Mooktastical posted:

You shouldn't fold proteins on your phone while you charge, it's detrimental. (lol)

I wish I was doing something that worthy of murdering process cycles in the background. Anyone have an app I can use to diagnose this? The standard battery info isn't being much help.

:lol:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

radiatinglines posted:

I bought my nexus 4 and 5 straight from the play store.

They're good phones, except the display was fused to the glass on the 4, so when I cracked the screen it was bricked. Also, the USB port on my 5 wore out in less than 18 months, and the headphone jack crackles like a bitch when the cord moves. I guess those are problems with lg rather than Google, though.

A Motorola made 6 would be nice, but for some reason they decided to make a phone that was twice the price as the 5, so gently caress that.

I'd like some solid info on this year's Nexus so I can convince myself to not just go ahead and get an N6 in the place of my G3, which is what I should have done back in December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

nosleep posted:

I hope it's ok to ask in this thread, but wanted some advice re: phone damage. My phone is an LG G3.

So I dropped a glass on Saturday night and spilled beer all over the place including my phone. A small piece cut my thumb so while trying to deal with that I didn't immediately turn my phone off/remove battery etc, just wiped it off quickly. It was working initially but then 10 minutes later the screen wouldn't come on.

I removed the case and back and there was a small amount of liquid behind the case and inside the back of the phone. Removed battery and turned it on and just got the blinking blue/green LED. I have Asurion insurance so immediately submitted a claim and a new one ended up arriving today. An hour after ordering the new phone the same night it came on.

When turning it on the entire right side of the screen was white with colored stripes and the left side was normal. Now having the phone on since Saturday night, the only thing that seemed off was a small dim area of the screen on the bottom right. It still functions normally in that area as a touchscreen and everything else works normally, just a dim spot in the screen. The only other thing I noticed was yesterday morning it registered that headphones were plugged in when they weren't. I plugged some in and unplugged and it's fine now.

Basically, I can deal with just a small dim area in the screen, and if that's all it was going to be I'd rather send the replacement back and save 100 bucks. Now tonight I've noticed that the dim area actually resolved, and everything looks normal. If there is any chance of further problems happening I guess I'll go ahead and replace, but wouldn't something have malfunctioned by now if that's the case? Can more problems show themselves later? I don't even know if Asurion would let me send the replacement back and refund me anyway. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!

Go ahead and replace it. Those things messed up for a reason, so even though they appear resolved there is likely other damage that will become apparent later. You're better off saving yourself the hassle.