Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Apologies if this has been asked, but I couldn't find anything using the new forum search or on google using a "site:somethingawful.com" filter:

I want to disable the voicemail notification completely. I don't use voicemail, the only things that get to voicemail are spam telemarketer calls, and I want it gone completely. This was exacerbated when I upgraded to 5.01 and now that cheeky voicemail notification is there on my lockscreen now every time I access the phone.

Googling all I can find is people who want to clear the notification because they've already checked their voicemail and it's still sticking around for some reason, but I can't seem to find anything about disabling it completely. The majority are about disabling a specific provider's bundled visual voicemail app (e.g. Sprint, T-Mobile etc.). I can't get the carrier to disable voicemail because I'm on a grandfathered plan that cannot be modified in any way or else I'll lose my pricing (Yes, I'm in Canada).

Specs:
Nexus 4
Android 5.0.1 (unrooted)
Carrier: Mobilicity (in Canada if that matters)

When I longpress on the notification, it tells me it's coming from 'Phone', and when I press the little 'i' to access notification settings it tells me that 'Show notification at the top of the list and keep them coming when the device is set to priority interruptions only' is already disabled.

I've looked in Settings > Sound & notification > App notifications, but there's no entry for 'Phone' or 'Voicemail' or anything like that I can identify.
I've also tried going into Phone > Settings > Call Settings > Voicemail Settings and changing the Service to nobody, but the only choice is 'your carrier', and I can't get rid it. I also tried to delete the voicemail number entirely from Setup but it won't let me change it.
I've also tried going into Phone > Settings > Call Settings > Call forwarding settings and disable forwarding to voicemail When busy, When unanswered, and When unreachable, but it also won't let me change it ('Your operator doesn't support disabling call forwarding when your phone doesn't answer').

Any ideas? I can't believe that it's impossible, and I don't want to disable all notifications to lockscreen, just this specific one. I'd also love it if I could get rid of that little tape loop notification in the top left that's always there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Kind of a general question, since from what I can tell I'm hosed on this.

I'm running a stock, original generation Nexus 4 on 5.1.1 LMY48T. Ever since upgrading to 5.1.1 I've noticed a weirdness with the left column, basically a "dead zone" between X0-140 pixels large, and any input in that zone automatically gets thrown to X0. (I figured this out by not being able to expand subforums in the Awful app by tapping the Caret character).

So I get the debug stuff turned on from these instructions:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/How-to-test-the-touchscreen-on-your-Android-phone_id63078

And sure enough, any tap that is in the left of the screen between 0 and 140 pixels will go to 0 immediately no matter what I'm using in Portrait mode. Some googling around indicates that this is an incredibly common problem with the Nexus 4 after 5.1.1 and the only solutions I've seen are "install custom keyboard" or "install cyanogen" or "use landscape", none of which I really want to do. Have any of you guys run across this and know of a fix that doesn't require rooting/installing an app that covers it up? E.g. something that actually fixes it?

If not, I'm not too put out because I haven't had a new phone in over 4 years and I hear this 6P thing is smexy as hell. I usually get 5 years or so out of a phone, but I get the >best< phone available when I do. Is there something even crazier/better than the 6P out there, given that I don't want to deal with carrier/provider bullshit software?

I do want to "fix" this problem as well since I'll probably be gifting the N4 on to some less tech savvy member of the family, and would like them to have the ability to type the letter A.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

So I bit the bullet (the dead zone on my Nexus 4 is getting larger) and did a late night Craig's List deal to get the Nexus 6p. Thing is a beaut, feels great in my enormous hands, screen is bonza and I've already noticed how much faster stuff like keyboard, scrolling, and web site browsing are.

Only problem is, it's late at night, and my Nexus 4 used a micro-sim (that was cut down from a mini-sim when I bought it), and the 6p needs a nano-sim. I'm seeing a lot of positive reports about just cutting your own sim down. Anybody here done it with pros/cons/oh god don't its? I grabbed a template here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1428694/microsim_template.pdf

Which looks pretty straightforward. Because I'm going from an old mini cut down to micro, I'm going to have be cutting metal. The template above helpfully explains thats ok though. Any opinions?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah decided to hold off on tha sim choppa; it's not like the exciting parts of the phone are tied to sms'ing or making calls. Some more first impressions (keeping in mind I've been using the stock Nexus 4 as my first android since January 2013)
- Speakers are waaaaaay better than before. Don't know if the p6 is supposed to have good ones or not, but was very impressed by watching a youtube video with volume maxed: no distortion or shake, barely any vibration felt in the phone itself
- Slowmo video is gimmicky and poorly implemented, but "works" (though hard to watch on the phone itself)
- How can I test 4k video when nothing I own can display it at 4k?
- Fingerprint scanner was super easy to set up and use. Was surprised (?) that my left index finger is different enough from my right I had to register it separately. I've never had a lock on my phone because I hate loving with them but this is so easy
- Camera is... a Google camera. This means there's lots of pixels, but when you get to 100% zoom you see tonnes of artifacts, dithering, banding, etc. I don't understand how they've never produced a good camera. Is it software? Pictures are serviceable but not exciting.
- Screen is freakin gorgeous. I was showing it to my roommate while playing a hi-res youtube and he was across the room, kinda not into it, and gave a pity look. But the image was so clear from far away, and at an angle, and he could still make out everything, and had to come over and check it out.
- You have to enable USB file access from Developer Options? What the hell google???
- I was having trouble with auto-rotate and figured out where the thread title came from
- Everything is so goddamn fast

So now, I want to gently caress around. Is the dedicated GPU any good? Any cool free games/apps that show it off?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lotta replies to that message! First of all I want to say I'm sorry for the general tone of that message, it was late, some drinking had occurred, and I hadn't eaten. That said though, they were impressions, not facts. I will say this phone is hella awesome and so good.

LastInLine posted:

This has to a joke, right? You don't seriously believe your fingerprints are symmetrical, do you?

Not seriously, but in the back of my mind yes, I'm pretty dumb. I think I was conflating it with the hand geometry scanners I used to set up for time monitoring at an old job. About 90% of the time you could go lefty/righty and fool it. There was a pair of identical twins who could clock in as each other too. I'm sure that was a calibration issue rather than a fault in the biometric though.

RVProfootballer posted:

Maybe too late, but I cut a sim just once and it was super easy. Err on the side of cutting too little off, so you can trim a little more if needed. Then just keep shaving a little off until it fits nicely in the tray. Took me like 10 minutes, and that was being super slow and careful, though I did also have nice sharp fine scissors.

Yeah, I saw him do it today with a hand punch machine that looked really no more exact that what you would get with a ruler/exacto knife. I haven't done it, but for anyone else it definitely looks doable and probably less risky than you'd think.

Thermopyle posted:

The camera is one of the best cameras you can get in a smartphone. I'm not sure what you were expecting? I mean "Google cameras" are almost always bad, but this is the one that is not like any of the others.

I based that mostly on that I've had to do a lot of photo-editing in the past, generally stuff coming off of iPhone 6 and Galaxy S and various others. The photos weren't taken by me but I had to turn them into product shots, lifestyle collages, etc. and I could always "tell" when a Google shot slipped in. The camera doesn't suck, and to be frank I barely use phone camera anyway. That said though, I was probably wrong just like everything else. I've started taking pictures of people to use as contact photos and they do look really sweet on the phone, but when I get them to computer and full screen them there's always something a little bit off. At this point it might be a software thing for all I know, might have to check out ProShot or one of the other camera apps.

Rusty! posted:

Er, no you don't.

(in regards to file access over USB requiring developer options) :shrug: I dunno? I plugged it in, my computer shows it as a removable file storage device, but when you browse it there's nothing there, no folders or files. Googled around, found instructions to enable developer mode and set USB transfer to MTC and suddenly it worked.

SB35 posted:

Pretty sure the thread title came from the Nexus 5 power button not working, but getting fixed after a few smacks on the table/desk. ;)

Hah! Then I guess there's more than one fix for banging your phone. Auto-rotate wasn't working at first and I came across this article:
http://recomhub.com/blog/how-to-fix-nexus-6p-wont-rotate-problem-and-gyro-stopped-working/

Which says:

quote:

Another out-of-the-box tip from some that we don’t suggested doing is hitting the Nexus 6P with the back of your hand to give your phone a gentle jolt. If you want to take the risk, you may want to do that, just be careful

Which is where I thought the thread title had come from.

Anyway this phone is so gooood. I got it from the guy at 50% power last night, took it in to the mall to get the sim cut down/installed, and the battery was still at 30%. On my old phone it would have been dead before I even got on the train to go to the mall.

I'm still curious about the 3d performance, is there any free 3d good game/app I can throw at it just to see how well it performs?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

MikeJF posted:

For security reasons, phones default to charging-only connection on plugging them in now. Pull down the notification and tap it to change it to file access.

Yeah the thread I read mentioned the notifications too, but I never saw them even after plugging and unplugging it several times. I remember seeing those on my old phone as well. Not sure what is going on there. Weirdly I did it just now and the notification shows up now ?? :shrug:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Skeezy posted:

Come on Simple :negative:

Come on Canada.... :negative:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

withoutclass posted:

Worked fine for me yesterday. It took a couple hours though for about 100 apps.

Same. Went from Nexus 4 -> 6p and got all my apps. I didn't even know that was a thing it could do actually, it just kinda happened.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

MikeJF posted:

Yeah. Wave card. If it's more than your set wave limit (default $100), enter pin. All works fine and instant in Australia.

Then again, Australia had had universal bank card payments in even tiny merchants and vending machines with swipe-and-pin directly debiting your bank account since the 80s. Thank you, only having four major banks to coordinate.

Pretty well the same in Canada I believe, though without the Wave card. After setting up payment processing systems for mostly US customers I'm amazed at all the little weird lovely banks they have, and they're >all< credit card issuers. It feels like it's easier to start a bank there than a religion.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Further thoughts on the Nexus 6p after a week in: Still like it. Now that I've retrained myself (charging by habit) I realize I get two days of use out of it before charging instead of a 1/2 day, so I'm pretty impressed by the battery thus far. I also use YouTube/music player a lot more since it feels like it has the horsepower to handle it, unlike my previous phone. Fingerprint sensor has yet to mess me up, though I do feel that it shunts to lock mode too quickly, though maybe that contributes to the longer battery life. I will say: if you got little hands you should look elsewhere, or resign yourself to two-handing it like a tablet. I can do everything like a one hander, but I have pretty outsized hands. The reception/antennae seems a lot better too; on my old phone I'd always lose 3G when moving in and out of wifi, sometimes having to cycle power just to get signal back, but that has yet to happen with the 6p. I will say that I'd consider a cover of some kind for the back nearly a requirement, the metal body is not resistant to dings and scratches at all. I spent a day without a cover and noticed 2-3 small imperfections that could only have come about by co-existing in my front pocket with a plastic lighter. (Note: don't keep phones in your back pocket)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This is an odd question but figured I'd ask it here. I love the slow-mo video on my Nexus 6p, and I've already shot like 4 videos for work with it (and took some awesome panoramas/spheres!). However, my hands shake like an arthritic crack addicts which is even more obvious when it comes to video. Is there some like, little tripod thinger that'll work for a phone that you guys have used/would suggest?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

AlexF posted:

I use this combination for my Nexus 6 (and other cameras): http://joby.com/mobile/griptight-gpod . You'll need the "large phone" option for yours.

They have other stands (i.e. suction cups you'd use with a GoPro) as well. Good stuff for all your possible needs :)

Wow that looks freaking awesome! I've done some looking around, that one is only about 2.75" tall apparently. I thought the larger one would be better:
http://joby.com/griptight-gorillapod-magnetic
(5.9" height)

But it's not in stock.

I'm in Canada, so I took a quick spin to Amazon to look for deals of it in stock and all I can say is "buyer beware". Lots of Amazon reviews about people receiving generic chinese versions instead of Joby, receiving a completely different stand with no gorilla pods, etc.

Checked BestBuy, Walmart, London Drugs, etc. and they either didn't have it, or you had to buy tripod and grip XL separately for a lot more money. Think I'm going to get it from Joby direct, assuming the larger version ever comes back into stock. Thx duder!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

More pointless voice recognition anecdotes; We did an app that would allow people to shop on our ecommerce website on a tablet using only their voice, heavily anchored to Google Speech Recognition API. The project was eventually turfed due to lack of interest from retail partners, but what amazed us at the time was how good the speech recognition was. We tested English, Ukrainian, Russian, and Hebrew, and it all went off crazy good.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Reading all youse guys' voice recognition chat and that article about how people are embarrassed to Ok Google their phone in public I'm going to just go around saying and searching for super awkward things. Like be on the train and go "OK Google, remind me to get extra strength hemorrhoid cream at Shopper's Drug Mart" and "OK Google Schedule appointment with Canadians for Trump at 8pm". Maybe throw in an "OK Google schedule follow-up appointment at Venereal Disease Clinic next week" in the food court or something.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I wouldn't say Nexus gets updates forever (my og Nexus 4 stopped at Android 5) but they do get them first, sometimes in cases where your third party phone is never going to update.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Weird, have had nothing but good battery life off my Nexus 6p, but something happened today to drive it crazy. The battery is draining faster than usb slow charge can charge it. The only thing I was running was Awful App, Chrome, and Gmail. Have rebooted it to hopefully fix whatever death cycle was going on there, anyone else run into something similar?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

namaste faggots posted:

I bet you're getting nailed by that loving google backup bug.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=207700

Huh, I don't seem to have any wakelock issues, but it did get me digging into the power usage profile, and something called system (mediaserver) has consumed 2h38m of cpu time since this morning, for 529mAh. The weird thing is, I never use it; my media volume is always off because I never use youtube, music players, etc. Looking around it seems a pretty common problem, but more linked to people who have cyanogen and other mods. I think the reboot kicked some cruft loose, because now slow charge is actually causing the battery to go up instead of steadily down.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Just got the OTA July Security update on my Nexus 6p which dropped.... a week ago? If that's how fast Google is pushing it to Nexus I wonder what the carriers are doing...

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

How many apps do you guys have that the management of them is this big issue?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

photomikey posted:

Nexus 6p is the best phone I've ever had. I've had a phone since 1995, and the 6p is the only phone I've ever been satisfied with in such a way that I'm not always looking for what's next or what might be better.

That said, I expect a new Nexus in the next month or two, and I would look hard at the 6p successor if you have the luxury of having a month or two to wait.

Same. Every phone for me before was "good enough" but the Nexus 6p in my mind crossed over to "actually great". The only thing I miss is the video output which was fun for parties or business trips.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, I'm ok with "derails" like the Windows/MacOS derail as long as they're at the level of "OS/software updates are problematic because of X, Y, Z" because of the obvious applicability to Android...as long as everyone keeps in mind the actual point of the thread.

FWIW, part deux, I'm also ok with how Windows10 and how it does updates. I mean, I hate the forced reboots because it interferes with how I've used my PC for decades (I leave it on 24/7 with work open, windows arranged, etc), but I understand the need for it and Android needs to head in the same direction.

I dunno; Windows 10 freaked me right out when it installed Candy Crush Saga and Minecraft and put it in my start menu without permission or notification (other than suddenly showing up). I disabled that "feature" with a GP/registry hack that I believe isn't allowed anymore as of Anniversary edition. Can you himagine if Android did that?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Are you sure Windows installed the games and those weren't just links to the games in the Windows Store?

edit: not that that is that much better

Nope, I cleaned all the crap ware off the machine when I started, fixed the drivers (btw a HP desktop with Windows 10 pre installed did not and still does not have working wifi drivers) and then it popped up one day. I thought the guys in the shop had got in and started screwing around but nope, full install with download of close to 500mb of stuff. One good thing is the Win 10 programs control panel lets you sort by date installed now so they're easy to find.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Endless Mike posted:

Oh I see your problem. Hint: it's not windows

http://winaero.com/blog/fix-windows-10-installs-apps-like-candy-crush-soda-saga-automatically/

?

I'll end the derail there.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Nifty posted:

My battery life has become poo poo on my Galaxy S7, and "Android System" is to blame. Consistently takes up 30+% of my battery life. I have not rooted my device. I cannot think of any specific app or change I made now that the battery life is bad. I looked up battery monitoring and appears the device needs to be rooted which I am not going to do. Any advice?

When that happened to me it was because a chrome page was stuck on some vine/WebM thing and it kept opening it over and over

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I can't believe you guys spend a small nations GDP on a phone and then sit on it all day. Front pocket 4 lyfe

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Well I just got an OTA update for my Nexus 6P that says it will "prepare" my phone for Nougat and includes the 09-06 security updates. Just the normal security update with some optimistic text attached? It was only 21mb

EDIT-Well after restart that led right into the full 7.0 update, 1174.7mb. We'll see if it ends up being the bait and switch update some other people have gotten. I've never been on the beta or anything like that.

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 14, 2016

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Got mine. I've bitched about this before but good lord, a 1gb phone OS update? If I wasn't on wifi that's like 1/6 my monthly allotment, and mine is higher than most in Canada.

It installed fine, but now my background is some pink/mauve thing and the notifications look all weird. Settings > Phone says 7.0 for version.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'd bitch about it if I were an iOS user too. Just seems... excessive.

Is there anything out there free and cool looking that uses the Vulkan update? So far I've heard Need For Speed and not much else.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Apparently the Note 7 recall is official with the feds now

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Other Nougat havers, have you noticed any glitchiness with it? I'm talking mostly about draw artifacting. Often when I change apps I'll have a flash of what looks like a series of squares with an X in it, or a flicker of the previous app but all jumbled and geometric looking. I thought at first it was Awful App, but that's just because it's the one I use the most, I've seen it switching from Chrome to Messenger for example. Another consistent one, which is probably Awful App's fault, is that when I make a post using it, I'll have what looks like the bottom line of a frame border with a little drop shadow on it appear about 2/3 of the way down the screen, and it'll persist until I switch apps again.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Another 6p without problems user reporting in. Smooth a butta, fast as heck. I'm moving soon so I let my wired internet lapse until I'm in my new place, so it's also been serving as my home router (which does drain the battery noticeably faster).

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Shot in the dark here, but I have a co-worker with an Asus Zenfone 2 with some weird behavior. If he uninstalls every app (basic stuff Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, LINE, WeChat) his phone is fine. But as soon as he starts putting apps on the whole thing slows down a ton, where you can see the draws in the flip animations, getting stuck on one screen after unlock for 2 seconds. Basically everything feels like it takes at least a second longer than it should. Is this just "not enough RAM on a wimpy phone" or is there some deeper problem specific to the Asus? He's on Lollipop w/ the most recent security updates.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

There's about 43 gb free on internal storage. He's also uninstalled everything and still having the laggies show up again, so I'm guessing it's not app based. I'll try suggesting the factory reset, thanks guys!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think calling Google incompetent is pretty inaccurate. They did create a competitive mobile ecosystem pretty damned fast, and it's one that probably the majority of people using it are pretty happy with.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm not seeing a compelling reason to upgrade from the 6p really, thankfully because it looks like it's going to be hella expensive.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Writing's on the wall for Note 7 in Canada now too. I took a flight on Friday out for thanksgiving and they didn't mention them. When I came back today there was an announcement "due to transport Canada policy do not operate, charge, or power on a Note 7 on this flight".

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Someone should be buying up all the Note 7s so they can sell them to XXXtreme risk takers like base jumpers and pitbull owners.

"Yeah baby, that's a Note 7. Because I live on the WILD side" *dons sunglasses, hauls rear end to lollapalooza *

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah you should get a case for 6p it's a slippery little devil AND the back is easy af to scratch. Mine lives in left front pocket with a pack of smokes and somehow still got scratched near the charge port where the case doesn't cover.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

GokieKS posted:

This has been slightly bugging me for a while, but I never got around to really looking for a solution.  Today I had some free time at work and decided to, but couldn't find a solution, so I'll ask.

Does anyone know if there a way to get the Google Keyboard to always use the same layout?  In some cases, seemingly mostly when the system thinks you need to enter complex passwords, it shows the number row at the top (e.g. when I'm prompted for the password to unlock after a couple days of using the fingerprint sensor), but in most other cases (e.g. Hangouts, Gmail, etc.) it doesn't, putting it as alternatives to the top row.  I don't really have a strong preference in which one is better, but I'd really like for it to be consistent and just use the same one in all cases.  I went through all the settings for Google Keyboard but didn't see anything.

For visual reference, here's what it looks like when entering password from lock screen:

And what it looks like in most apps:

There's trade offs, but I think Hacker's keyboard does that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

re: headphone chat. I got the logitech H800 bluetooth/wireless shell headphones and they're pretty good, but I refuse to stick crap into my ears so maybe I'm not the same demographic as you guys. I think bluetooth has built in audio-crapifying if you're an audiophile though? The only downside from me is it'd be cool if I could pair it to more than one thing simultaneously, e.g. take a call on them while using them as my computer speakers.