Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Yeah the camera is the only thing driving phone innovation anymore and you're gonna pay big bux for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is it worth it to factory reset my Pixel 3 before installing 11?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

After updating to 11, the Google Maps share button no longer shows any other apps, just "Nearby Share", "Copy to Clipboard" and "Bluetooth"

Anyone else seeing this / know how to fix it?

Used to be able to share locations with my car's built-in nav app, text the location, etc.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Ughh why did they ruin Google Maps? Now there's no "Call" button on businesses, and if you scroll down to the phone number and tap it, it copies the phone number to clipboard. What's the point of this change?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

:confused:

what is happening

I'd try reinstalling Maps but you can't uninstall it

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is it all businesses for you? Or just certain ones?

All businesses.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I watched The Social Dilemma on Netflix and now I think Google is testing my emotional reaction to not being able to call pizza restaurants

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The better battery almost makes me want to upgrade from my 3, except I never leave my house anymore so it doesn't matter.. How soon after a new launch do Pixel prices usually drop?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I feel like the better camera might be the only thing worth upgrading from the 3 for. Is there a turbo nerd on the internet who does side by side photos?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't have a 5 obviously but the battery is surely a major upgrade from the 3?

In theory that would be a good upgrade if I ever left my house

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Does Google Photos have some kind of annual fee to store original quality photos in the cloud?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I signed up for Google One just now, it says I am only using 320mb for Google Photos. That can't be original quality because I have thousands of photos and videos. Does this mean it'll only save them at original quality going forward?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It's a Pixel 3.

On my device is says photos and videos take up 26gb

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Weird, maybe it just needs a bit to catch up with accurate data since I signed up for One just a few minutes ago.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Ohh I'm dumb. Thank you!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

God drat my Pixel 5 isn't gonna arrive til almost December. I wonder if Best Buy will have a few for sale on launch day. Idk how popular this phone is.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Anyone else have camera lag on Pixel 3? Opening the camera, and switching from camera to video, both take a few seconds. It wasn't like this when I bought the phone, wondering if a factory reset would help.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is the S20 still the best camera out there, or is the Pixel 5 better?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I guess Pixel 5 doesn't have a macro lens, and I take a lot of pictures of bugs.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://twitter.com/stushep/status/1316435829179461632

Wouldn't this be the proximity sensor? I think one other person has also posted about this.

Well gently caress, that's not a good sign. I'll wait for other reports before canceling tho

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Vasler posted:

My Pixel 5 isn't supposed to show up until November 3, but I've got a potential problem here.

My OG Pixel started getting *really* hot yesterday out of nowhere, and the battery started draining quickly.

The charger I had it on overnight wasn't powerful enough to keep up with the drain and my phone turned off, but when I hooked it up to a better charger it turned on at 41%.

Today, I was using it and observed a 10% battery drain in 10 minutes. The phone was at 86% and I restarted it. When it turned on it was at 70%.

The phone is warm to the touch but the case looks normal (no swelling).

I'm not sure exactly what's going on here, but it seems like the phone and the OS aren't agreeing what the battery is actually holding in terms of charge?

What are my options here? I need to hold out for about 2 weeks!

My guy you've been handed a gift from heaven above to be disconnected from the news until Election Day is over, you should accept it

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

God drat, at this point I'm considering canceling my Pixel 5 order before it leaves China. I was barely excited about the phone to begin with.

What's the best Android out there right now, for camera and battery especially? Looking for top performer, not budget option. What would you guys recommend?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Does Best Buy usually have launch day phones in stock for walk-ins?

I guess the P5 comes out in 2 days.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

bull3964 posted:

If I go to Best Buy's website right now, I can still order the phone for in store pickup the 29th.

I’m stupid and forgot you could buy products for pickup at BB, got my launch day phone and canceled the Google Store order that was arriving in late Nov.

TY goon.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Pixel 5 🤝 me
sleep issues

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The only problem I’ve run into with Do Not Disturb is that WhatsApp somehow ignores it, and notifies every time. I feel like I’ve checked every setting and can’t fix it, I just have to remember to snooze WhatsApp at bedtime.

edit: Could it be because I have WhatsApp contacts (family members) set as priority?

smoobles fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 28, 2020

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

FogHelmut posted:

I want the two button navigation back.

It’s still an option in settings, no? Under Accessibility.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My Pixel 5 restored my settings and re-downloaded my apps, but did not bother putting my homescreen & folders back where they were.

Is that a thing? Did I do this wrong?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The Pixel 5 feels SO GOOD without a case. The texture on the back & sides is really grippy, unlike the 3 which was like holding a bar of soap.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The power share settings on Pixel 5 warn you that enabling it reduces battery life. Anyone know how much of a battery hit it actually is? I’m aiming to min max my battery life like a huge dork.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Oh, my assumption from the warning was that even having the option enabled drains battery passively, even with no other device on the back.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The speakers sound like dogshit coming from the Pixel 3, I plugged this thing in and the charging notification sound made my wife say "what the gently caress was that" because it sounded like an 8bit robot fart.

Still worth the upgrade tho, this thing is super loving zippy and the battery life lives up to the hype so far.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Holy gently caress, been surfing the internet for 40 minutes and my Pixel 5 battery is still at 100%.

Unsure if godlike battery or software glitch, with Google it could be either.

EDIT: proof

smoobles fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 30, 2020

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

codo27 posted:

Gotta be a glitch man. Which 1:15 AM is it talking about 17 hours away? That doesn't make sense

Yeah I restarted and it went to 95%.

Still amazing tho. The battery life is so good that I've turned off the percentage since I don't really need to think about it with my typical usage.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Yeah I keep pressing nav buttons by accident, time to relearn how to hold a phone I guess

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Since I moved from the 3 to the 5, all of my text message threads have been split into two threads, one of them marked from the correct person and the other marked “Unknown sender”

So like, every text to and from a given person before Oct 14 is in its own thread marked Unknown sender. Every text AFTER said date is under their phone number.

Anyone know what’s up?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

LastInLine posted:

Did you clear the cache and if that fails, data, for Messages? I'd imagine rebuilding the cache would reassociate the numbers in the store with contacts. Also make sure the current install has its permission to access contacts.

Just tried all those steps, didn't seem to fix it.

I haven't factory restored the old 3 yet, is there a way to move the messages data over a second time?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

LastInLine posted:

I've used this tool in the past and it's always worked well. I'd probably make sure everything on the new phone is erased before restoring a backup created from the old phone to avoid merging problems.

How do I erase all my messages before restoring from that app? When I clear storage on Messages app it immediately repopulates them, I guess from a google backup

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

LastInLine posted:

Long press a message thread to enter multiselect mode, tap all of the threads, then click the trash can icon at the top.

Messaging apps don't store messages which is why clearing its data does not erase them. The messages are stored in something called the message store that only one app can access at a time. That's why you have to specify a default messaging app and how Android allows you to use different apps without each having to build its own database.

Aw gently caress I have hundreds of SMS threads. Is there an app that will delete it all for me?

I called Google Support about my Unknown sender threads and they were stumped, and have escalated it to the developers. Not a good sign it'll be fixed anytime soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I temporarily solved my text threading issue by switching to Textra, in case anyone is lurking w/ the same problem