Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Nah I'm with you. I would love a phone like that. But since I know there will never be another non-Blackberry Android phone with a keyboard, I try to keep my dreams a little more realistic. My (reasonable) dream phone would be 4.3" with a good battery, decent storage, and decent specs.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keyboard-mod-a-physical-keyboard-for-the-moto-z#/comments

Currently shipping to backers, apparently Lenovo/Moto had a big shakeup in the mods division which slowed things down but it should eventually get into the store along with the rest of the Moto Mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Wasabi the J posted:

So I got my sister who's on AT&T a T-Mobile version of the Z2 Force because her Droid Turbo 2 stopped charging. I was told I could get an unlock code. We called customer service and got one however it still has not shown up in her inbox two days later.

What should I do?

T-Mobile has a database backend, once it's marked as paid off in their system you just run the unlock app on the device

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Wasabi the J posted:

I cannot find the app anywhere aside from a shady rear end app site.

Strange, maybe it's one of those apps that only shows up when the correct carrier sim is in place, sorry

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

drat, that really embraced the Xxtreme Gamerr oeuvre, it's even zanier than the Razer phone

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

MC Hawking posted:

If I'm droppin' cash it's gonna be a step way the gently caress up in hardware and have software to match. And it'll have a drat headphone jack as god intended media playback devices to have.

God is dead and so are headphone jacks

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

poo poo is weak posted:

Lmk if this is the wrong place, but I just picked up a new s9+ and I was hoping to remove Tmobile and Samsung bloatware before I start making it my own. I'm capable of rooting it or w/e but it would be nice to avoid that.

Don't root your phone.

T-Mobile and Sprint phones have less bloatware than AT&T or Verizon ones. Just go into settings -> apps and for each app you don't want to see choose the Disable option.

If an app doesn't have a Disable option it means it has been marked as a "System" app. For these cases the best advice is usually to ignore it. If there's one which really gets under your skin and you want to get rid of it you have two options:

1. If it's a Samsung app you can purchase Package Disabler Pro which will allow you to uninstall the relevant Samsung package.
2. If the offending app is not from Samsung or if you don't want to spend :10bux:/3 then you can install App Inspector to get the package name of the App you don't want and then follow this guide to uninstall it. Warning: guide requires downloading a bunch of stuff on your computer and running console commands.

Don't root your phone.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

Glass screen protectors for "2.5d" or curved displays or whatever are universally poo poo. If anyone has found a Pixel 2 XL tempered glass protector that's not poo poo, pleeeeeease please tell me

There's always the option of the ones with a UV lamp in the box which you use to cure the LOCA glue

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078JR1HTN

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

docbeard posted:

I want something that's basically the phone out of Wall Street. With a headphone jack.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZ95P7S

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Verge posted:

With how cheap and durable tablets have gotten it pisses me off that cars don't just run some sort of super specific version of Android in a special made tablet. It could even replace your stereo if they invested in the sound card.

Um yeah Google already announced that

https://techcrunch.com/2018/05/09/google-previews-whats-next-for-android-auto/

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Uthor posted:

I was going to wade in about my new Pixel 2 and turns out a(nother) headphone war is brewing!

After a few hours I was thinking it's the best phone for me other than missing the headphone port. #donglelife for me!

Plug them in today, earbuds work, pause to talk to a coworker, and audio plays from the speakers instead when I try to resume. Dunno what finally did it between flipping apps, pausing, unplugging, etc, but eventually worked again until I paused again.

Guess I'm using the Bluetooth set I have, hoping they don't run out of juice before the end of the day and that I remember to plug in another drat device at night and I remember to pack them in the morning.

Does anyone make Bluetooth headphones for working out that let you hear ambient noise? I hate biking with earbuds cause I can't hear cars as well.

I have been enjoying these TaoTronics:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075SYJCQN/

The ear hook buds stay in place without being uncomfortable, and they allow ambient noise (a drawback sometimes on the train, but usually I prefer it for safety)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rastor posted:

If there's anyone here who doesn't have a Pixel or Moto phone, and wants that stock Google launcher experience, there's Rootless Pixel Launcher:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/7sxe7a/rootless_pixel_launcher_30_based_on_aosp_81/

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

There’s a Galaxy J7 Sky Pro for $100 and a Galaxy S7 for $400. For my needs is there any compelling reason to spend 4x as much on the S7?

We don't like getting an old Galaxy because they are no longer receiving updates, that's why you are getting recommendations for things like the Nokia 6.1 (2018) and the Pixel phones.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah agreed, their work on Maps and Photos has really been uniformly* fantastic and I wish they'd approach everything else with the same level of quality and focus. Docs is also really good, although it kind of plateaued a while ago.

*I do recall at least one time where they did a "ground up" overhaul of Maps and it lost some features, but they all came back eventually

I would agree except at certain zoom levels my Maps app is nothing but icons for convenient McDonald's and Express locations

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

XIII posted:

I feel like most of the icons that pop up in Maps when I really zoom in are places that I tend to frequent, so maybe you should sit down and really ask yourself some tough questions about your choices.

Though I admit to enjoying an occasional McNugget in my youth I assure you I have not shopped at either establishment in many many years

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Incessant Excess posted:

People don't really touch the middle of their status bar all that much I think.

And people that do swipe their status bar are gonna swipe over a notch almost as much

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

Bashing those who take selfies is really getting tiring itt

The quality of the under screen camera is probably going to be a step down for the first few generations so those who rely on selfies should probably hold off on this technology

For the rest of us it's not crazy to want a screen that makes use of the real estate of the device without being notched

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Alan_Shore posted:

My gf just got the S10 and it looks pretty awesome. Amazing screen at the very least, and the ugly POS TouchWiz is all but gone.

No keyboard like my Key2 but we can't have it all

Didn't care for the F(x)tec Pro1 huh

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

That was a joke but yeah supposed to launch in July.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Older versions wouldn't work, would they? I mean if no one's paying for the Dark Sky API then how would the app function?

Older versions of Weather Timeline used to screen scrape Dark Sky or something to get around the API requirement and it was a really beautiful and useful weather app, even though it had stopped being maintained.

Then it was sold to some company that provides a really lovely and useless forecasting service and they took away the ability to use any other forecasting source.

I gave up and paid $0.99 for Accuweather which is bloated and buggy and I really miss Weather Timeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Why don't people just use the Dark Sky app itself?

Because on iOS they sold it for like price of a Starbucks Coffee or whatever but on Android they decided to make it a monthly subscription