Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Whizbang posted:

Lollipop on the Nexus 5 is still broken, wait for 5.0.3.

This is giving me a CM vibe.
Just wait for the .1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

the nicker posted:

Yeah.. i never even ran 5.0, did a clean flash straight to 5.0.1 and playing video in any app kills my tablet 95% of the time. It's basically a brick at this point, considering that's the primary thing I use(d) it for. Flashing 0.2 now.. fingers crossed.

Thats odd. I had the issue with 5.0 where video would not play back, but 5.0.1 fixed all that. I've been pretty happy with 5.0.1 (low bar from 5.0s memory leak as well). I'm abuot to flash 5.0.2..

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Rastor posted:

It seems unusual to me that a company would require you to have/use a phone while offering zero compensation / reimbursement for it.

This.
I use/pay for my personal device but they pay for the service and give me a subsidized deal . I work for a company of 1100 people, so mediumish. Being a condition of the job to have a phone seems like they should be the ones to pay for it. What would they do if you just had a personal flip phone?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Touchless Control/Moto Voice has stopped working on my Droid MAXX 4.4.4

Basically when I say the launch phrase from the lock screen, the Mic in the circle shows up, but when I say "whats up?" it doesn't register my voice.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled updates.

When I try to train it, it doesn't pick up my voice, and instead brings up the regular Google search box, with the message "Sorry, Can't reach Google Services Right Now".

Has this happened to anyone else?

I loved that feature, especially "What's Up?" -- Any ideas?

I've got only 1 bar of 4g in my office but its still working for me. Droid MAXX stock as well.
Can you use the google now screen directly? Does speaker phone pick up?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Lblitzer posted:

Happened quite frequently on my Droid Maxx, weird that it seems to be a Motorola thing.

Hm. Droid Maxx on 4.4.4; happens to me

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Is there a way to change the color of an activesync calendar? I can see how to change the color of all the googles ones, even my facebook event calendar I imported.. but not the color of the NINE exchange email calendar.
I'm on a Moto Droid Maxx, Stock. Quick searching suggests an app to do it, is that really the only way?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

dissss posted:

You can change it in the Nine app on a per account basis.

:doh:
Thanks! I got sidetracked since i could change all other calendars in the main calendar settings, and I could see the nine calendar.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I gave up on GVoice long ago, but looks like google may not have?

"The Google Voice team wants to know more about how you use the product on a day-to-day basis. They'll be using the survey results to help improve Google Voice and prioritize features."
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/voice/5m5V4s37NGs

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Sending this reply via the Something app, so...

But if login requires SSL, then that could be problematic for people trying to sign in fresh. When did the cert expire? I just got a new phone last month and signed in fine.

I got a new phone on Friday. Its' borked still :(. My N7 is still logged in and fine. It blows to have to use the web page for forums.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I wish swype had the standard mic option instead of dragon. I moved to google keyboard because of that.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Mogomra posted:

You can swap it out of you're rooted with xposed installed, but yeah. It requires root.

Gave up on rooting with kitkat. Its an office supplied phone and we check for that.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Melmac posted:

Can you tell me how you did this, please? I have AdAway installed on my phone but I still get ads on Youtube. What did you do if you don't mind me asking?

OK this I definitely need to know as well. The last program that worked was PVStar and that stopped working a long time ago. Even trying to Google it I just get posts from 2013 recommending PVStar, or people saying there's no way to do it. Please share your secrets.

Probably paying for YouTube Music Key/Google Play All Access.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just started playing music, and randomly it drops the volume for maybe 10 seconds to maybe half. Is this a known software issue? I really want to not have to return this thing.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Both Prime music and YouTube.

Are you getting other notifications when the volume drops? It'll do that when you get a text or something.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

GopherFlats posted:

So I upgraded to 5.1 on my turbo a couple weeks ago and everything was fine up until the last few days. It seems like now I have to restart my phone everyday because by the end of the day it starts lagging so bad its almost impossible to do anything and has started to heat up more than normal.

Are there any know 5.1 bugs on the turbo or hardware issues?

Did you do a factory reset?
I've not had any issues, but I had a clean install of 5.1.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Hughmoris posted:

I wonder if there is a way to attach a chain to the phone, the way hip people do with their wallets.

http://geardiary.com/2012/04/01/the-z-connector-iphone-case-with-chain-review/

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Depths posted:

Scientists will have to invent bigger pockets for cargo shorts because these nerds keep buying larger and larger phones

I can't wait to see someone using the new ipad pro 12" as a phone. And as a camera. And then Samsung to make their equivalent tablet.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Syrinxx posted:

Thanks, I picked it up from Amazon who also have a great policy. I'll probably stick it out with 16GB and try the adopted storage thing; I'm kind of a hotsauce in that I buy a phone around every 10-12 months anyway.

I would genuinely like to know what in the gently caress is taking up 6.5GB of the storage on the X Pure though. Most stock-ish ROMs I've ever seen are less than 1GB

Isn't the 6gb a partition, not files? So it has room for updates etc. Some of that space would be empty but inaccessible.
Also, hasn't having 16GB been too small for like 2 years? Either iPhone or Android devices?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Syrinxx posted:

List of Moto devices getting Android M

2015 Moto X Pure Edition (3rd gen)
2015 Moto X Style (3rd gen)
2015 Moto X Play
2015 Moto G (3rd gen)
2014 Moto X Pure Edition in the US (2nd gen)
2014 Moto X in Latin America, Europe and Asia2 (2nd gen)
2014 Moto G and Moto G with 4G LTE2 (2nd gen)
DROID Turbo
2014 Moto MAXX
2014 Moto Turbo
Nexus 6

They are also retiring Moto Migrate and the Chrome addon for Moto Connect.

source

What is the 2014 moto maxx? is that different than the droid maxx? I thought that came out in 2013. I've moved up to a droid turbo, but I'd still like to slap marshmallow on the maxx out of curiosity.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

bull3964 posted:

Different device. The 2014 Moto MAXX is the international version of the Turbo.

Ahh, that makes sense. I was surprised to see the maxx on there.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I side loaded marshmallow on my nexus 7 (2013) and its noticeably faster than before. I didn't bother to wipe, and I fell asleep while it was optimizing so I didn't manage to put it on a charger. So far the battery life seems better, but I won't really know for a few days of real use. But it definitely feels snappier. Things are opening quicker etc. Not really noticing any of the differences other than the now on tap. I never use the press/hold home, I'm using the default launcher so just swipe over to NOW. We'll see if it becomes useful while I'm in apps. I primarily use the tablet for web, so I'm either in Awful or chrome. We'll see if the on tap gets much use.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

the nicker posted:

I loaded Mashmallow on my 2013 N7 last night (clean wipe) and it does this weird thing where it won't update/install apps while the screen is off. I left to see the Martian when it started restoring apps, and when I got home and it was as if nothing happened while I was gone - it was still on the second app when i woke it up. This continued throughout the night, regardless if it was plugged in or on battery. As soon as the display goes to sleep, it stops. Anyone else getting that? It doesn't do that at all on my N5.

I didn't wipe, but I've had a few apps update today and I installed one from the web fine.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Does anyone have a nice 1 click way to download pictures from gmail to the google photos, direct to a new/existing album would be even better?
Right now there is a nice 1 click to move to drive. But you get to drive, and along the side has photos, but I'm not seeing a way to interact with that. I'm looking for a way to do it on the computer, figured ya'll are deep enough into the ecosystem it wasn't too far outside of this thread.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Bhodi posted:

The phone is too big for me but the service is great in my area, it's the best service that I've had overseas period, and the price is half what I was paying verizon.

The only problem i've had is starting group MMS messaging, which is supposed to be fixed in hangouts 5 (which should drop today? tomorrow? soon)

Already on apk mirror if you don't like waiting.
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/hangouts/

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

ilkhan posted:

Ill go with nine when the 6P gets here then.

Who comes up with these names?

E: nine or nine work?

It looks like nine, and nine works are both from 9folders,inc. I've been using nine. Looking at the release notes, it looks like nine works was updated to work with android work? Not sure really what that means even. It looks like Nine is still their main app, it was updated october where as works was back in july. Their website has info about nine but not nine works..

Anyone else know the difference?

Otherwise, Nine has been great and worth the price for me. On my personal tablet I have it sandboxed, on my phone I just have the pin for the phone and it goes through fine.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

ErikTheRed posted:

Nine for Work is for use with Android for Work, which tends to be used for BYOD setups. It usually integrates with a Mobile Device Management service (we use Airwatch).

Nine is just a plain Exchange client.

Thank you.
We're using zenprise at the office here.. I heard that it was supposed to update to include android for work (not sure if that happened yet), so I wonder if nine work would be better for me. Wonder if my license would transfer.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

The Merkinman posted:

My Nexus 5 just got the November 2015 security update.
Meanwhile my 2013 WIFI Nexus 7 still doesn't have Marshmallow.

Google: We're serious about security so we'll give you monthly* updates.

*may take more than a month to actually arrive.

Guessing you prefer OTA? I sideloaded the update to marshmellow w/o wiping and have been getting security updates on it since.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure thats exactly how Google Alerts work. Now that I think about it my real question is whether anyone ever talks about when there's a new release on GPMAA. I kind of have a feeling that GPMAA is not popular enough with people who talk about music on the internet.

I guess we'll see. I just added an alert for "missy elliot wtf google play music all access".

maybe there is a scraper for this :
https://play.google.com/store/music/collection/movers_shakers?hl=en
looks to be the new release section. Granted, who knows if that's only the most popular ones or all of them.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Thermopyle posted:

Unfortunately, I think that's only for-purchase music, not music on All Access.

You're probably right. I hate the difference.
Also, why the gently caress is it not something like, music.google.com?? (edit.. apparently it is now, pretty sure this is new).

Also, just found out about this :
https://play.google.com/music/listen#/album/Bcqxefztbae6b55oqrta74zwmiy/Various+Artists/We+Love+Disney+(Deluxe)
Jessie J and Ne-yo doing disney songs?? yes please.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What did you think it was? It's been music.google.com for as long as I can remember, and like most Google services, you can also use google.com/music.

Really?
I used to have to go to https://play.google.com/music/listen#/now to be able to listen to music. Before, google.com/music would take you to purchase music, not listen to google play nor your already purchased albums. I've had play since the beginning, and I remember being frustrated over this up until after Youtube Red was announced...

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

havenwaters posted:

Yeah not the case here for the one or two I've used. If it you pull it out too soon the thing breaks and the cashier had to pretty much go to another register while the one rebooted.

You can wait till they are done ringing you up, and then chip/sign. I think you just have to have the card in once the final order is totaled.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Doctor Butts posted:

Yea the new chip cards are a pain in the loving rear end and inconvenient as poo poo compared to just a magnetic strip.

First of all, the reader could have the slot for chip cards, but unless you've been to the store before (or if you remember), there's no way to loving know if the loving retailer has the chip reader enabled yet. So there's a 50% chance you gently caress up the process right off the bat if you forget to ask the cashier beforehand.

If you swipe and it actually is enabled to read the chip, congratulations! You get a message saying you need to stick the card in.

If you stick the card in and its not enabled, awesome! You get to wait while nothing happens and ask the retailer what the gently caress.

So in the situation where the reader does work, you have to insert the card, wait about 10 seconds, and then it finally asks for your loving pin. At this point, you still have to leave the card in. In fact, if you remove your card at any point in the process up and through the point where it tells you to remove the card (about 4 seconds after the transaction is completed), it has to be started all over again.

All told, it takes a fuckload of time for these stupid loving chip cards, whereas before I could just swipe and enter the pin within a few seconds and be out the door.

Buy everything via Amazon 1 click pay, no more issues. :smug:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

The rear end Stooge posted:

Yeah I expect this is different for people who live places with usable public transit but I never go out without my wallet because it's where my driver's license is and I need that to drive drink.

fixed.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Rusty! posted:

They're not stored somewhere you can get to with USB.

I think your best bet would be to get an MHL cable and hook it up to a TV/monitor.

Can't you just put the phone on wifi and import contacts from sim card or internal storage? Then they'll be up on contacts.google.com and your new/next phones?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Is there a good tablet anymore?
I really love my nexus 7 (2013) for the form factor, but I'm guessing phablets have taken over the 7" market. Is the nexus 10 the current best?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Get the cardboard camera if you haven't already.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.vr.cyclops&hl=en

Make your own view master photos.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
So, Broke my Droid Turbo the other day. This is the 2nd screen, so no screen replacement this time. The company pays my phone/bill, so I talked to the person in charge and they got me an early upgrade. I've now got a $100 Droid Turbo 2 on Verizon.
Am I dumb to want to buy a $500 Nexus 5x (32gb + protection since I clearly need it) and try to flip the new in box Droid turbo 2? On swappa they go for almost $500 for NiB. I was approved to have the nexus, but since its not sold via verizon, they would have purchased a nexus5 for me. Not the 5x.
I'm not a fan of the 5.5" screen, too large. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but not sure I want to. I'd like the finger print reader since we require print or pin.
Is the nexus name + finger print + smaller screen worth $200?? Help me goons!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

GokieKS posted:

Get the N5X, and then consider getting a case. Or a more durable one if you already had it on your previous phone and still managed to destroy the screen twice.

I do go caseless. I don't like the added bulk.
For what its worth, the turbo is the first phone I've broken a screen on. Ive been android since cupcake, and I've rarely had the case. Both times, I droped it face first and it hit an edge of a rock. Once camping, once mtb biking. I do a lot outside and it may have been luck. I'm thinking i'll keep my current smashed turbo, since it still works, as an insurance when I ride hard.

Thanks for the push!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Internet Explorer posted:

Deong, if you want to get a feel for the 5x before you buy, let me know.

too late!
I don't dwell, but thanks. A friend of mine has one that I've palmed. I've got baby hands.
Also, we've gotta hit shelbys before its gone.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

XIII posted:

Wait, Shelby's is going away?!

Likely. The owners are selling the lot its in, Shelbys don't own it. Internet Explorer got his job from that place!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
So just moved up to a Nexus 5x. Is there a micro usb (female) to usb C adaptor? I've tried searching some, but nothing has come up yet. Its all just usb a to usb c, or usb c to usb c.

Also, anyone looking for a new in box droid turbo 2, pm at yo' boy.